532 Columbus Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94133-2802Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.rosepistola.com/
- Phone: 4153990499
- Hours of Operation:
LUNCH: 11:30am to 4:45pm Seven days a week
DINNER: 5:30 p.m. Seven days a week
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Mark Gordon, Pablo Estrada
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live jazz Sunday & Thursday nights 8-10 p.m.; Friday & Saturday nights 9-11 p.m.
- Cross Street: Between Green & Union Streets
- Public Transit: Muni lines 9x, 9bx, 20, 30, 41 & 45 all stop within a block of the restaurant. The Powell-Mason cable car line stops about two blocks from the restaurant.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Street parking also available. Parking lots available on Powell btwn. Green & Union; on Green btwn. Columbus & Powell; on Filbert at Columbus
A word from Rose Pistola
Voted the best new restaurant in the country in 1996, Rose Pistola is a celebration of the bawdy, friendly but sophisticated side of San Francisco’s Italian district – North Beach. This stylish gathering place personifies the vibrancy of its namesake, a North Beach denizen who ran the most colorful bar and restaurant in the neighborhood. With its San Francisco-style dining counter, booths cozy dining room and lively bar, Rose Pistola invites everything from a leisurely glass of Chianti and a bowl of pasta, to a traditional, Italian-style feast of seasonal antipasti, whole roasted fish and rotisserie meats.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Rose Pistola reviews from OpenTable diners
138 reviews since May 3, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (69)fit for foodies (54)good for groups (45)special occasion (43)great for lunch (33)romantic (28)great for outdoor dining (26)vibrant bar scene (19)notable wine list (19)great for brunch (14)kid-friendly (14)hot spot (8)late-night find (6)scenic view (2)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/28/2014Great Pizza Pasta & Salad! Wonderful Service Lovely dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Healthy and Tasty!FoodessVIPDined on 8/24/2014Chicken Under a Brick, and over a bed of delicious spinach, garnished with roasted baby grapes.. The chicken was done, but could have been cooked, just a bit more, to make the top crispy..but it was all delicious! Also enjoyed the Chopped Salad, nicely dressed, with just the right amount of blue cheese. "Rose" is my "go to" place, in North Beach..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is where the tourists eatOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/21/2014A very disappointing meal. While the food was good (though uneven), the service was brusque at best and indifferent at worst. The best part of the evening was the live jazz music. I suppose if you want to sit on the busy sidewalk in North Beach and eat decent Italian food, this would be a good choice, but there are so many better places, some of them right in the same neighborhood.
- Great dinnersoxbyDined on 8/9/2014Everything about this restaurant was first class. Servers very friendly and knowledgeable. Food choices were outstanding and the food itself was delicious. So glad we had a reservation otherwise we would have been turned away. Great ambiance with live music. Will be back on another visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Casual Dining, Sophisticated FoodFoodessVIPDined on 8/5/2014Corn Pudding, hot appetizer...smooth, creamy, great flavor, trimmed with delicious mushrooms..Veal ragout with favas and mint.. beautifully layered to distribute the delicious flavors, throughout. This restaurant consistently does great pastas. Great service, nice vibe.. Will continue to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sourpuss, snobby wait staffMJ75VIPDined on 8/2/2014My friend and I made a reservation for a special dinner here. The food was SPECTACULAR- super hot, fresh, full of wonderful flavors. It is too bad that our waiter was unable to smile, looked put out to even speak to us, very snobbish. We ordered quite a bit of food and a couple nice glasses of wine. We were fully prepared to tip well. However, Mr. Sourpuss did not earn any kudos. Too bad!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood favoriteAnneVIPDined on 7/31/2014We love the service , location and great food, especially the small plates, whic allows us to order more items and share everything!Special Features:
- excellent foodMontereytouristDined on 7/27/2014great food and ambiance. our server was funny & knowledgeable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/27/2014Great spot in North Beach! Met our cousin from Milwaukee for the first time and learned all about relatives in Italy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experience - AgainCJStavertVIPDined on 7/23/2014A North Beach favorite for years, and recognized as a top spot in the annual SF Chronicle restaurant edition. They accomodated a group of six on late notice. Great menu and service. I will return again and again. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- Perfect birthday dinner!out2lunchDined on 7/22/2014Our party of three would definitely recommend Rose Pistola. From the very comfortable booth table to the prompt service and excellent food, we loved it all. The salad with avocado and garden fresh fruit was memorable. Main courses of salmon over grilled corn, seafood risotto, and scallops were all delicious and generous portions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Team DinnerDorothyDined on 7/22/2014I wanted to pick a fun SF place for all of my team from all over the West. We not only had a great dining experience, but the waiter was fantastic at managing a large, energetic table. We had 14 and I'm sure kept him on his toes, but we never knew it. Service was amazing!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 7/21/2014Consistently reliable food and service. Always a good choice.Special Features:
- DisappointedDisappointedVIPDined on 7/19/2014We were looking forward to our dinner at Rose Pistola, but came away disappointed. The evening started well with Valet Parking (great + in North Beach), followed by a warm welcome from the hostess and a great table in the window. But then, we did not get water or a visit from our waitress for 10 minutes. When she came by, she was rushed and barely had time to answer our questions. The fish dinners - salmon and ahi tuna - were both tasty and interesting, though the salmon came on a bed of what tasted like canned corn! The pizza was on a crockery-crust, fresh but not to our liking and the pasta dish lacked flavor. Our waitress seemed indifferent to customers. We will look for other Italian restaurants in North Beach the next time.
- LeslieDined on 7/18/2014Good restaurant--not sure if I would return after being reported as a no show--too many other good options in SF
- Great dinner before showOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014Excellent food and service...very good wine list...convenient to Beach Blanket Babylon theater.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice. special occasion restaurantMarinMikeDined on 7/10/2014The service waa notably and sufficiently attentive. The waiter noticed that I was showing my friend a special birthday card I had received. Later, when I ordered dessert, the waiter brought my dessert with an elegant, lighted birthday candle. MarinMikeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/10/2014If you are going to North Beach -- this is a great choice---they have valet parking for lunch and dinner. Try to get a space around there.....Its in a great location and has an impressive front and inside....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Partly DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/4/2014Nice place with good view of open kitchen. Large pizza oven and the funghi pizza was quite good with chanterelles on a nice thin crust. Unfortunately, the "brick" chicken was overdone and quite dry. Probably should have sent it back, but didn't want delay. Remember restaurant as being quite good from my distant memory, but this visit, the food was a bit disappointing. Service and ambience were fine.
- Relaxed and DeliciousLucullusinaDined on 6/29/2014Quirky and warm atmosphere, friendly unpretentious vibe, and simply and expertly prepared food made this an evening to remember on the last night of our family trip to SF. Great live jazz too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place, great locationNapafoodieDined on 6/28/2014We've dined here a few times and always enjoy it (menu choices, food, presentation, drinks, live music, location). Unfortunately, this time we had a waiter who was not in the mood to be working. We are writing it off as just one of those things and will return.Special Features:
- LunchBobbVIPDined on 6/28/2014Went there for lunch, grat service and great food!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/27/2014Pasta was good. Scallops were salty. Waiter gave higher preference to larger parties. Visit was not as good as my last one.Special Features:
- Food and funJagaDined on 6/27/2014This restaurant is charming, the food yummy and the service excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday celebrationSweetieVIPDined on 6/26/2014It's a nice walk from my office and my recently-retired friend and I met for a delightful salmon celebration. Service was deft, food was expertly prepared, worth just a slight wait from the kitchen. Loved the candle in the flan for birthday boy. Definitely will return.Special Features:
- Very munch the North Beach StapleOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/20/2014Was everything we hoped for and more. The experience was fantastic from the valet to the waiter to the food runner. Excellent menu and complex pallet pleasers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice food okay serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/19/2014been here before and where food is very good service is less than it could be. told them with reserv. that we had a birthday and they still almost brought cake without candle and then were awkward about the delivery. Also gnocchi was gummy and returned... too late into dinner for guest to reorder. Not sure I'd go back.
- Always goodAnnaVIPDined on 6/17/2014Food is consistently good, it's been there a long time, so is less crowded and noisy than the trendier North Beach hot spots, which makes it a gem. Pizzas outstanding, fresh grilled Branzino is simply great, enough for 2 people. Full bar, good selection of winesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal!CBranchVIPDined on 6/15/2014I love this place! Yummy! Great food! Fun servers! Go and eat the best of North Beach!Special Features:
- Enjoyable Lunch on Father's DayJillCDined on 6/15/2014We visited Rose Pistola on Father's Day during the North Beach Festival. Surprisingly, the restaurant wasn't very busy, though the sidewalk tables were in demand. The Dine-About-Town menu was limited to just 3 pizzas and 3 pastas, so only 1 of us ordered off that menu. The waitress had to be reminded that the gelato was included in the Dine-About-Town menu (she charged us for it). The food was delicious, though service was a bit slow. The ambiance is quite nice and not too noisy on a quiet Sunday afternoon. We enjoyed our visit, and will definitely be back again the next time we're in North Beach.Special Features:
- Staff great on stressful dayOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/14/2014We hadn't been to Rose Pistola in years, and were lucky to get a reservation there the day of the North Beach street fair. They were insanely busy, but the staff was calm, friendly and professional, and the food was great. Dine-About-Town was still going on, so we got a three course meal for a good price.Special Features:
- Ordinary foodfreshandlocalDined on 6/12/2014Menu has not changed much in a few years. That would not matter if the food was great but unfortunately that is not so. It is uninspired. We had a Caesar Salad which had too much cheese and dressing & croutons were ordinary. Had Tuna tartare on brioche, good ingredients and cumquat flavour was nice, refreshing. Then had Halibut. Fish good, fresh and nicely prepared but ordinary. The garbanzo beans were dull, not very tasty, side order of spinach had good flavour but stalks were tough and not picked over well. Place is comfortable and service good. The bar and wine list is good and I think with some attention it could get back to being a place where a SF resident would go to eat. For now it is off my 'go to' list when I'm in that area.
- Ok food- service was offDine4FunDined on 6/8/2014Went to dinner with a work group. The server misordered several items and acted like it was our fault. The food was fine, but not amazing.Special Features:
- excellent!lisabDined on 6/3/2014We had a large group of 12 and could not have been mote pleased with the food and service. Diane was patient with our huge appetizer orders, wine selection and entree choices. She even had us out on time per our request as we had a showtime. food was fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unappreciated GemOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/1/2014This restaurant has very nice food. I highly recommend the mussels on a hot plate and the branzino, although I have not really had anything here that I did not like. I do, however, have one criticism. They need better valet parking. Two times, when I left, I could not find the valet and had to wait longer than usual to get my car. Frankly, the food is worth it. Also the live jazz on Sunday night is fun.Special Features:
- Family Birthday LunchhappydinerDined on 6/1/2014Excellent food-- 2 of us ordered the salad with tuna, spring vegetables and poached egg-- outstanding! We also had one of the pizzas and the birthday girl ordered the seafood pasta (it was gone before any of us dared asked for a bite). For dessert we split the coconut wedding cake I think it was called. Creamy and very light-- melts in your mouth. Mostly I loved our waitress. She was fun and very accommodating. We all thoroughly enjoyed dining el fresco as the weather and afternoon could not have been more perfect. I will definitely return to this restaurant and look forward to another great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This place has gone downhillIdonotcookDined on 5/31/2014I've been here several times before and this place has clearly gone downhill. The two hostesses were not polite and seemed to be reciting lines from a canned script. We arrived about 15 minutes early for our reservation and their overall tone when telling us that our table would not be ready until the exact reservation time was bordering on rude. It wasn't ready until at least 10 minutes after our reservation time. While the food was ok to mediocre at best, the service and our waitress was horrible. Everything was super slow, there was not even the slightest hint of being friendly or actually caring about what was going on. Things we ordered were forgotten. Simply put, she did not seem to care about anything at all.
- Great (but chilly) DinnerRCHustedDined on 5/31/2014Loved the amazing food, great staff and extraordinary Service. But 4 stars instead of 5 because, even though asking for a "warm" table on a chilly, foggy, windy night, and being placed near the pizza ovens (claimed it was the warmest part of restaurant), they left the front door open all night, and I think the rear door too, creating a cross breeze and I had to fight a constant chilly breeze through the whole dinner.Special Features:
- surprisingly goodEatOutALotVIPDined on 5/30/2014We hadn't gone here in a long time as the food had deteriorated several years ago, but decided to go again. We were very happy to find the food has gone back to the quality level we used to expect. Started with grilled octopus, which went well with the salad and beans served with it. Veal chop and tuna were perfectly cooked and very flavorful. Definitely will return again. I only wish the noise level were a little lower so that we could hear each other talk. Definitely not a romantic place. But if you want a place with lots of noise and good food, it is perfectSpecial Features:
- Best dinner in San Francisco!GloriaNVIPDined on 5/29/2014This is a wonderful restaurant and reasonably priced. Went with our 2 boys since it was our last night in San Francisco, and the meal was the best! We each had something different and greatly enjoyed the meal!Special Features: