Rosa Mexicano - Union Square
9 E. 18th St.
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $31 to $50
Rosa Mexicano - Union Square
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.rosamexicano.com/
- Phone: (212) 533-3350
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:30 AM - 4:00 PM
Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday 4:00 PM - 10:30 PM
Thursday - Saturday 4:00 PM - 11:30 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican, Contemporary Mexican
- Executive Chef: Joe Quintana
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Regardless of your party size, Rosa Mexicano is the perfect venue to offer your guests a creative, upscale experience. We offer a full range of catering options: buffet stations, pre fixe menus, family style menus, passed hors d'ouvres, etc. We also offer off-premise catering for groups of all sizes. For Large Party Reservations, please contact Camille Karimzad at 212.835.1739 or email at email@example.com
- Entertainment: We offer a television in the bar area. On special occasions, we frequently have guest musicians and/or mariachis present to heighten the festive atmosphere. Please contact the restaurant directly with questions.
- Special Events: HAPPY HOUR AT CANTINA BAR | DAILY, 4-7 pm
Half-price select cocktails and appetizers will make you very happy for much more than an hour.
A word from Rosa Mexicano - Union Square
Just blocks away from Manhattan’s lively Union Square, our third New York location provides a warm and vibrant setting for our award-winning authentic Mexican cuisine. Designed by David Rockwell, the restaurant features architectural accents inspired by the late, famed Mexican architect, Luis Barragan. The internally illuminated electric-blue tiled water wall features cliff diver figurines and candles among the cascading water to separate the bar from the main dining room. Warm terracotta and yellow colors with hot pink accents are featured throughout the restaurant as well as traditional, one-of-a-kind Mexican crafts, fabrics and artwork. This combination creates the perfect backdrop for the festive atmosphere and innovative Mexican cuisine of Rosa Mexicano.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Rosa Mexicano - Union Square reviews from OpenTable diners
304 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (203)fit for foodies (118)special occasion (106)hot spot (104)vibrant bar scene (83)neighborhood gem (81)great for lunch (71)kid-friendly (46)romantic (38)great for brunch (37)late-night find (31)great for outdoor dining (17)notable wine list (8)scenic view (6)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/22/2014Upscale Mexican - tableside guacamole is a must. Drinks were a bit pricey (although not out of line with most restaurants) but good. They have a kids menu which is great for those that need it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We Return Again and AgainRMHMDined on 11/15/2014We love Mexican and so Rosas is a must for our family whenever we visit NYC. This experience wasn't our best but, once we were seated, the food and service were outstanding as always. We were seated late from our reservation time and then given a table that looked into where the food servers come in and out. We asked for another table. It was in a corner and dark but better than the first one so we accepted it. After that, everything ran smoothly as it typically does at Rosas. The guacamole is outstanding. I had the ceviche as a meal and loved it. The servers were prompt. polite and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mexican food - a cut aboveGaryVIPDined on 11/15/2014My wife and I had an early dinner at Rosa Mexicano with another couple. We all enjoyed the food and the price is reasonable. The noise level was high but nothing out of the ordinary for an NYC restaurant like this. None of us had tradtiional food - tacos, enchiladas, etc. - bjt we tried other dishes which were all very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAAAAAT !LuvitmuchVIPDined on 11/14/2014I love this restaurant. From the time I walked in the door until the time I lefted the staff where great. They are friendly and knowledgeable. I love when I make a reservation and I arrive at rosa Mexicano I was seated immediately . My server was knowledgeable and very patient when I was trying to remember what I had the last time and couldn't think of the name . The Food was amazing from appetizers to desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cannot rate low enough!!!grantroVIPDined on 11/14/2014Without going in to a long story, our food came out ice cold. When dealing with the manager he only offered to warm up the food and indicated that if he did that it would overcook the food. He then checked with the kitchen and told us that our food may "have sat" waiting to be brought to the table therefore causing everything to be cold. It wasn't until we told him that we were not going to eat the food and would go somewhere else that he offered to remake the meals. Then after everything did not discount anything. Just not very professional
- Consistently good MexicanLiverandSnailsDined on 11/11/2014Came with a group of 5. We shared a double order of guacamole, tacos de mahi mahi and empanada appetizers and for our entrees-- beef short ribs enchilada, pan roasted mahi mahi, and Budin do pollo. All washed down with pitchers of Sangria and classic margaritas. Overall a very nice, satisfying dining experience. Complaints were that they only brought one order of rice and beans even though 2 entrees were ordered, the mahi mahi was overcooked (usually restaurants ask how we want the fish cooked but they didn't here), and the margaritas did not come in pitchers. Been to both New York locations and have found the food consistently satisfying. It can get very noisy, but I consider it one of my go-to places for group dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/9/2014Not enough good things to say. I always have a great time here. The service was unobtrusive and he had everything in front of me when I needed it. The food was delicious and presented well. I recommend Rosa for any occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always goodalisVIPDined on 11/8/2014they changed the menu a little since the last i was here and i didnt love my entree but that was a matter of taste and not quality. guac was delish as always and our waitress was great.Special Features:
- Great birthday celebration!YoyoDined on 11/8/2014Enjoyed celebrating our sister Nancy's 40th birthday! Food and drinks were excellent! Great night with the girls! Beautiful ambiance!Special Features:
- Rosa MexicanoJerseyHousewifeDined on 11/8/2014The guacamole was made table side and was DELICIOUS! The food choices were perfect for our particular tastes. The service was a tad slow. Overall it was an enjoyable evening with great food and conversation. I would definitely recommend the restaurant to friends and family.Special Features:
- WestportianVIPDined on 11/6/2014Our server Suzanna was amazing, attentive & the restaurant was crowded. The fish tacos always taste divine. I just love this place overall, they try to be a cut above the rest.Special Features:
- Great TimeMemontoDined on 11/6/2014The service was very good. The food was delicious. Great atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemVonchorVIPDined on 11/5/2014We really enjoyed Rosa Mexicano. The food is authentic, fresh, and tasty and the service is good without too much hovering. The charge is refreshingly moderate (for Manhattan).Special Features:
- Edwin RodriguezErod13Dined on 11/3/2014Small portions and very expensive. Food was not any better than any two star three star Mexican restaurant in the citySpecial Features:
- A go to family favoriteemraevraVIPDined on 11/2/2014Casual Mexican cuisine with excellent service and delicious food. The best guacamole in NYC which is prepared table side by friendly Guacamole Chefs. Kid friendly ( our 6 year old was invited to help mix the guacamole). The pomegranate margaritas are the best!Special Features:
- Very good MexicanDidieDined on 11/1/2014Very good Mexican restaurant in the center of NYC, very good food (the guacamole is made in front of you), good decoration. I would recommend this place!Special Features:
- Outstanding ServiceEmmaDined on 11/1/2014Everything was perfect. We were treated like very special guests. I'm really really blown away by the food and service and the place was so pretty. our server was so so so great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DinnerMattVIPDined on 10/31/2014Food was fantastic, as always. The service was great as wellSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food and service, too noisyeater51Dined on 10/29/2014I was visiting from out of town and appreciated the great food and excellent service. But the noise, mostly coming from the bar, was at too high a level for my taste. For those who don't mind a noisy restaurant, I'd give this one five stars.Special Features:
- Very nice architecture and foodHautmedicusDined on 10/28/2014Thanks, it was a great pleasure for us. Food was interesting also the great architecture. We will come back.Special Features:
- Old favorite is still newOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/26/2014I had not been to Rosa Mexicano in a number of years. I recommended it to a good friend, and we planned our dining experience following theatre on East 15th Street. We received a pleasant warm welcome, and had a thoughtful wait person who was so charming and professional. The food was very good - we ordered from their archival menu of 1984 (the year it opened), and everything was delicious. A very good experience. Looking forward to returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as always, but...TLHKDined on 10/26/2014The food and service were fantastic! The only thing that I was disappointed in was that I had requested something special be done for my brother's 30 birthday and it was not. It didn't have to be a free dessert – I would have paid for a special birthday treat. Even a candle in the guac that we bought would have been nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A treat!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/25/2014Rosa Mexicano provides all the required elements for a fun and delicious evening out. The ambiance at the Union Square location is scenic and festive. Each course we had was delicious and palate pleasing. Excellent upscale Mexican food, which can be hard to come by. There are many menu items on the menu we are eager to return and try. Our service was attentive. Would certainly recommend and look forward to returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- baje26Dined on 10/22/2014Very busy restaurant. Kind and friendly staff. Quick service and Big portions.Special Features:
- AbundanceMom4kidsDined on 10/22/2014We went for lunch order a prix fix and one entree plus guacamole there was so much food that it seemed as if most was left over. Everything was deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Rosa Mexicano!alidav65Dined on 10/21/2014My husband and I love going to all the Rosa Mexicano restaurants. The margaritas, guacamole and food are always superb. The one near Union Square is no exception. The atmosphere and service were excellent. Can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yougottaeathereugot2eathereDined on 10/20/2014what a great find! the food was Delish. we started with the tortilla soup which is a show in itself. followed by fish tacos, corn on the cob and ice cream. tacos came with rice and beans. frozen pomegranate margaritas were wonderful. watched them make the guacamole for the table next to us. looked amazing - but had no room for it!!! go for it!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodRTUESVIPDined on 10/19/2014Rosa Mexicana never disappoints. Consistently great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LCLC85Dined on 10/18/2014Oustanding ambiance and service! Food was good but could be better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful as usual...scrocchio65Dined on 10/17/2014I've been many times at this restaurant and it is a must go!!! The atmosphere is so nice and Please go earlier to spend a little time to have a drink on the bar. our waiter was so nice and the fresh Guacamole they make right in front of you.... DELICIOUS. Worth any single dollar !!!!Special Features:
- I like the food and servicedesignsDined on 10/16/2014I am a returning customer. I always like to bring my friends and family to enjoy food and drinks here. Recently I found out the Margarita is tasted lightly. I hope the restaurant can improve it.Special Features:
- Excellent ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/16/2014Had my anniversary at the restaurant and the staff were incredibly helpful with the surprise I had planned. Food was great but it took a little while to get out to our table. Drinks were delicious.Special Features:
- Great guacamoleMiiztyDined on 10/14/2014The best about Rosa Mexicano is their delicious gualamole prepared to your liking at your table. The interior design was nice, but quite cold.Special Features:
- Always love coming hereTatKalDined on 10/13/2014The restaurant has a great atmosphere, always busy, always efficient staff. Everyone loves the tableside guacamole and the main dishes are good.Special Features:
- Fabulous Mexican foodRetiredGourmetVIPDined on 10/12/2014Has a Gluten free menu! The food was outstanding. They accommodate your preferences. I ordered short ribs and they were excellent.Special Features:
- firstname.lastname@example.orgMPCDiningDelightsDined on 10/12/2014What a gorgeous place! Every time I visit NYC this is my prime location to dine. Very tasty delights and the service is friendly and efficient. If I were to pick a restaurant for a group this would be the first choice. The day we enjoyed a week-end brunch it was a bit over energetic what with the young children, but the family atmosphere lent itself to a positive experience overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food!mlw1988Dined on 10/9/2014Decent selection and table-side guacamole is always a plus. Slow, inattentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NYcGirl75Dined on 10/9/2014Dinner was awesome along with the service and atmosphere! Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was not impressedDying2dineDined on 10/8/2014Ambiance is nice, table side guac was nice but we had to order it twice as they do cut you a bit short. Liked the brown rice. My fajita was cold and that ruined my experienceSpecial Features:
- Guaca-noisychewsy1Dined on 10/8/2014On a week night, four people at a table could barely hear each other shout for the noise. Just awful. So avoid Rosa if you've come for normal conversation. But the over-flow, youthful crowd seems oblivious. The guacamole at table was predictably fine and fresh, and all but one entree flavorful and satisfying. The highly recommended short ribs, however, were tough and stringy. Warm churros with 3 dipping sauces were a treat. To best enjoy this place, come at off hours. Too much of a scene, otherwise, for relaxed enjoyment.Special Features: