Rosa Mexicano - Union Square
9 E. 18th St.
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $31 to $50
Rosa Mexicano - Union Square
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.rosamexicano.com/
- Phone: 2125333350x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:30 AM - 4:00 PM
Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday 4:00 PM - 10:30 PM
Thursday - Saturday 4:00 PM - 11:30 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican, Contemporary Mexican
- Executive Chef: Joe Quintana
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Regardless of your party size, Rosa Mexicano is the perfect venue to offer your guests a creative, upscale experience. We offer a full range of catering options: buffet stations, pre fixe menus, family style menus, passed hors d'ouvres, etc. We also offer off-premise catering for groups of all sizes. For Large Party Reservations, please contact Camille Karimzad at 212.835.1739 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Entertainment: We offer a television in the bar area. On special occasions, we frequently have guest musicians and/or mariachis present to heighten the festive atmosphere. Please contact the restaurant directly with questions.
- Special Events: HAPPY HOUR AT CANTINA BAR | DAILY, 4-7 pm
Half-price select cocktails and appetizers will make you very happy for much more than an hour.
A word from Rosa Mexicano - Union Square
Just blocks away from Manhattan’s lively Union Square, our third New York location provides a warm and vibrant setting for our award-winning authentic Mexican cuisine. Designed by David Rockwell, the restaurant features architectural accents inspired by the late, famed Mexican architect, Luis Barragan. The internally illuminated electric-blue tiled water wall features cliff diver figurines and candles among the cascading water to separate the bar from the main dining room. Warm terracotta and yellow colors with hot pink accents are featured throughout the restaurant as well as traditional, one-of-a-kind Mexican crafts, fabrics and artwork. This combination creates the perfect backdrop for the festive atmosphere and innovative Mexican cuisine of Rosa Mexicano.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Rosa Mexicano - Union Square reviews from OpenTable diners
310 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (201)special occasion (117)fit for foodies (113)hot spot (101)neighborhood gem (84)vibrant bar scene (82)great for lunch (77)kid-friendly (49)romantic (46)great for brunch (43)late-night find (34)great for outdoor dining (19)notable wine list (8)scenic view (7)Show More
- great food and service, too noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/29/2014I was visiting from out of town and appreciated the great food and excellent service. But the noise, mostly coming from the bar, was at too high a level for my taste. For those who don't mind a noisy restaurant, I'd give this one five stars.Special Features:
- Very nice architecture and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/28/2014Thanks, it was a great pleasure for us. Food was interesting also the great architecture. We will come back.Special Features:
- Old favorite is still newOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/26/2014I had not been to Rosa Mexicano in a number of years. I recommended it to a good friend, and we planned our dining experience following theatre on East 15th Street. We received a pleasant warm welcome, and had a thoughtful wait person who was so charming and professional. The food was very good - we ordered from their archival menu of 1984 (the year it opened), and everything was delicious. A very good experience. Looking forward to returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A treat!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/25/2014Rosa Mexicano provides all the required elements for a fun and delicious evening out. The ambiance at the Union Square location is scenic and festive. Each course we had was delicious and palate pleasing. Excellent upscale Mexican food, which can be hard to come by. There are many menu items on the menu we are eager to return and try. Our service was attentive. Would certainly recommend and look forward to returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/22/2014Very busy restaurant. Kind and friendly staff. Quick service and Big portions.Special Features:
- AbundanceMom4kidsDined on 10/22/2014We went for lunch order a prix fix and one entree plus guacamole there was so much food that it seemed as if most was left over. Everything was deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Rosa Mexicano!alidav65Dined on 10/21/2014My husband and I love going to all the Rosa Mexicano restaurants. The margaritas, guacamole and food are always superb. The one near Union Square is no exception. The atmosphere and service were excellent. Can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yougottaeathereugot2eathereDined on 10/20/2014what a great find! the food was Delish. we started with the tortilla soup which is a show in itself. followed by fish tacos, corn on the cob and ice cream. tacos came with rice and beans. frozen pomegranate margaritas were wonderful. watched them make the guacamole for the table next to us. looked amazing - but had no room for it!!! go for it!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodRTUESDined on 10/19/2014Rosa Mexicana never disappoints. Consistently great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LCLC85Dined on 10/18/2014Oustanding ambiance and service! Food was good but could be better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful as usual...scrocchio65Dined on 10/17/2014I've been many times at this restaurant and it is a must go!!! The atmosphere is so nice and Please go earlier to spend a little time to have a drink on the bar. our waiter was so nice and the fresh Guacamole they make right in front of you.... DELICIOUS. Worth any single dollar !!!!Special Features:
- I like the food and servicedesignsDined on 10/16/2014I am a returning customer. I always like to bring my friends and family to enjoy food and drinks here. Recently I found out the Margarita is tasted lightly. I hope the restaurant can improve it.Special Features:
- Excellent ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/16/2014Had my anniversary at the restaurant and the staff were incredibly helpful with the surprise I had planned. Food was great but it took a little while to get out to our table. Drinks were delicious.Special Features:
- Great guacamoleMiiztyDined on 10/14/2014The best about Rosa Mexicano is their delicious gualamole prepared to your liking at your table. The interior design was nice, but quite cold.Special Features:
- Always love coming hereTatKalDined on 10/13/2014The restaurant has a great atmosphere, always busy, always efficient staff. Everyone loves the tableside guacamole and the main dishes are good.Special Features:
- Fabulous Mexican foodRetiredGourmetVIPDined on 10/12/2014Has a Gluten free menu! The food was outstanding. They accommodate your preferences. I ordered short ribs and they were excellent.Special Features:
- email@example.comMPCDiningDelightsDined on 10/12/2014What a gorgeous place! Every time I visit NYC this is my prime location to dine. Very tasty delights and the service is friendly and efficient. If I were to pick a restaurant for a group this would be the first choice. The day we enjoyed a week-end brunch it was a bit over energetic what with the young children, but the family atmosphere lent itself to a positive experience overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food!mlw1988Dined on 10/9/2014Decent selection and table-side guacamole is always a plus. Slow, inattentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NYcGirl75Dined on 10/9/2014Dinner was awesome along with the service and atmosphere! Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was not impressedDying2dineDined on 10/8/2014Ambiance is nice, table side guac was nice but we had to order it twice as they do cut you a bit short. Liked the brown rice. My fajita was cold and that ruined my experienceSpecial Features:
- Guaca-noisychewsy1Dined on 10/8/2014On a week night, four people at a table could barely hear each other shout for the noise. Just awful. So avoid Rosa if you've come for normal conversation. But the over-flow, youthful crowd seems oblivious. The guacamole at table was predictably fine and fresh, and all but one entree flavorful and satisfying. The highly recommended short ribs, however, were tough and stringy. Warm churros with 3 dipping sauces were a treat. To best enjoy this place, come at off hours. Too much of a scene, otherwise, for relaxed enjoyment.Special Features:
- very coldjensinaDined on 10/5/2014It was very cold inside.I complained several times but they did not do anything about it. The food was good though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Waiter? What waiter?yummyDined on 10/5/2014The restaurant is always reliable, but this time the server let it down. We dined early so the restaurant was not busy. When we needed something we had to track down another waiter. Our waiter was too busy having a long conversation at the host stand with a group of other staff. How long? From the time we received the food until we had to ask another server for the at bill when we were finished. Really?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional even with hitchesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/3/2014What a great space and great food. The only draw back was that it was hard to get water, get it refilled and the order seemed to take a long time even though it didn't seem to be that busy. Also , the host at the door was a little clueless. I asked to change our table and he said fine but didn't bother bringing the menus to the new table. Seemed gauche for such a fancy place with such great food. The waiter was outstanding for service and conversation. Really wanted us to enjoy everything. The restaurant was lucky to have such an ambassador!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/2/2014I love this resturant. There is a great variety of food options as well as drink menu. This is a great spot to go to catch up with friends and enjoy really great Mexican food.Special Features:
- Another fantastic eveningLuisVIPDined on 10/1/2014We just keep coming back. Treated new friends, and their small child, to dinner. From entering the door, and having a dedicated space for carriages, to getting the high chair for the child - nothing was a problem. Everything was delivered with a smile. Great energy and music. Great food - the choices keep getting better! Drinks continue to be awesome. No complaints. Looking forward to our next time at Rosa Union Square.Special Features:
- Very Buenobizzed4dinnerDined on 10/1/2014The space is beautiful and the food was very good. The tableside guac is de rigueur. We had the Sangria - the small pitcher (20oz) is better than getting 1 glass each, but not as overwhelming as the large pitcher (60oz!). Got about 2 glasses worth each. Get's kind of noisy - but definitely a lively vibe. Desert was a peanut butter thing and a perfect end to the meal. Overall, really good dinner experience!Special Features:
- love this place!heyhillVIPDined on 9/27/2014Great food and outstanding service have made me a regular here.Special Features:
- Great Union Square stapleOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/26/2014More children than usual but otherwise great as always. Food was excellent as was service. They should decide if they want to be aimed toward adults or family friendly as it definitely changes the atmosphere.Special Features:
- disappointing waste of moneyMexicanFoodFoodieDined on 9/26/2014This restaurant was chosen for the food, decor and as a special place to celebrate 2 events for both my good friend and myself. The noise level was so loud we had to shout across the table at one another and still could barely hear ourselves!! Waitress was surly, pushy and visibly annoyed with us, deliberately ignoring us. At one point we even had to ask the hostess to get her, another time one of the staff. The food was a joke - the queso fondue was NOT - it was served in a skillet!? I've had queso fondue before, and this wasn't it. The nachos were soggy as well. Beer was brought in bottles and we actually had to ask for glasses! Then again, wanting to leave and pay the check, but where was it?! First and last time at this place!!
- Not as good as I rememberOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014What once was a go to for big celebrations has become an overrated, subpar, overpriced chain. Still beautiful ambiance, if not loud. Sad really.Special Features:
- the best Mexican restaurant in townChefnivDined on 9/25/2014This is not our first time to dine in this beautiful restaurant. The menu is always renew by thier great chef. Great place for kids!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!BarbieGirlVIPDined on 9/17/2014Love going to this restaurant! The Union Square location is the best. This is my 2 year old granddaughter's favorite restaurant and she is quite the foodie. The staff is so friendly and they go out of their way for kids. The adults love it also.Special Features:
- Not Tex-mexViaggiatoreDined on 9/15/2014Always solid upscale Mexican. Can be a little noisy. Great margaritas!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best Mexican restaurantAlbertoVIPDined on 9/13/2014I went many time to Rosa Mexicano and I am sure i will continue to go there. The food is authentic Mexican food and very delicious, the services is incredible, all people who work there are amazing and friendly , for me the service is very important to feel like home.The drinks are amazing. I recommend to try the enchiladas with mole and spicy margarita, both are the perfect tips for dinner. Enjoy Rosa Mexicano.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Veggie Mix UpVeggieEaterVIPDined on 9/13/2014My vegetarian entree had pork in it. Runner said vegetarian as he placed it down, so the waiter entered it correctly but the kitchen screwed it up somehow. They took it out and brought the correct dish 15 minutes later after my wife had finished eating. Apparently serving meat to a vegetarian or serving entrees 15 minutes apart are no big deal at Rosa, because all I got was an "Sorry about that" along with my full price check. I would have expected a gesture like free dessert to make up for my inconvenience. Also, my coffee took literally 10 minutes to come out. In the end the food was good.
- anonymousDined on 9/11/2014Wonderful service. The flowers we ordered were beautiful and a lovely surprise for the birthday girl.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- trendy dinertrendydinerVIPDined on 9/11/2014Wow! This place is quite impressive. I went there for the first time on a gilt coupon and had a fabulous time. This is my new favorite mexican restaurant. The dishes are amazing especially the beef taco with truffle oil!! Definitely will be going back and would recommend this place! The service was also very good as the waitress was quite attentive and did not rush us out the door.Special Features:
- Mexi-FeastBarryBVIPDined on 9/9/2014I love this place. The margaritas are so good. Food is always tasty. The table-side guacamole made to your personal taste is the best!!Special Features:
- Mexican dinnerGaetano83Dined on 9/7/2014I recommend this place to everybody..really good quality of food really good service and price is in the average of restaurantes likes that..take the guacamole salad.so good..they will prepare it in front of you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.