Rosa Mexicano - Union Square
9 E. 18th St.
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $31 to $50
Rosa Mexicano - Union Square
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.rosamexicano.com/
- Phone: 2125333350x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:30 AM - 4:00 PM
Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday 4:00 PM - 10:30 PM
Thursday - Saturday 4:00 PM - 11:30 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican, Contemporary Mexican
- Executive Chef: Joe Quintana
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Regardless of your party size, Rosa Mexicano is the perfect venue to offer your guests a creative, upscale experience. We offer a full range of catering options: buffet stations, pre fixe menus, family style menus, passed hors d'ouvres, etc. We also offer off-premise catering for groups of all sizes. For Large Party Reservations, please contact Amira Gertz at 212.397.0666 ext. 29 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Entertainment: We offer a television in the bar area. On special occasions, we frequently have guest musicians and/or mariachis present to heighten the festive atmosphere. Please contact the restaurant directly with questions.
- Special Events: HAPPY HOUR AT CANTINA BAR | DAILY, 4-7 pm
Half-price select cocktails and appetizers will make you very happy for much more than an hour.
FESTIVAL DE HELADOS | JULY 31-AUG 24
Desserts inspired by classic savory dishes such as guacamole, tamales and empanadas, and paired with handmade ice creams and sorbets infused with Mexican flavors ranging from prickly pear to chili-spiced chocolate.
A word from Rosa Mexicano - Union Square
Just blocks away from Manhattan’s lively Union Square, our third New York location provides a warm and vibrant setting for our award-winning authentic Mexican cuisine. Designed by David Rockwell, the restaurant features architectural accents inspired by the late, famed Mexican architect, Luis Barragan. The internally illuminated electric-blue tiled water wall features cliff diver figurines and candles among the cascading water to separate the bar from the main dining room. Warm terracotta and yellow colors with hot pink accents are featured throughout the restaurant as well as traditional, one-of-a-kind Mexican crafts, fabrics and artwork. This combination creates the perfect backdrop for the festive atmosphere and innovative Mexican cuisine of Rosa Mexicano.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Rosa Mexicano - Union Square reviews from OpenTable diners
301 reviews since April 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (189)special occasion (115)great for lunch (90)hot spot (89)fit for foodies (87)neighborhood gem (84)vibrant bar scene (68)romantic (51)great for brunch (51)kid-friendly (43)late-night find (29)great for outdoor dining (15)scenic view (8)notable wine list (5)Show More
- Good food, good service!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014The atmosphere was festive and the service was wonderful! I got a quesadilla and my friend got a chicken tacos. Both of us enjoyed our meals but didn't leave feeling overly full. Our waiter was super friendly and the service moved at a good pace.Special Features:
- Too loudOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/26/2014The music was far too loud, We were 4 people at the table and we could hardly hear each other. It was horrible.Special Features:
- jnvaVIPDined on 8/24/2014Have been to other Rosa Mexicanos. First time in Union Square, restaruant was very large with a friendly vibe. Servers were really nice and friendly, although the entrees and drinks took a little long to receive (so we ordered another gau, not sure if that was the intention). We had the gilt city deal, a really great deal with tons of food. The mahi mahi ceviche mini taco apps were really good. Can't go wrong with the chips and gauc. Main entree pork tacos and chicken tacos were really good, didn't like the mahi mahi main. Churros were awesome! Enjoyed my margaritas as well! Would def go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really fantastic serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/24/2014When I made my reservation, I told Rosa Mexicano that my 3 friends and I were celebration an engagement and that it was the first time we'd been all together in a year. We've known each other for 22 years. They treated us wonderfully and made it such a great night - a complimentary champagne toast, a free shot for the new fiancé and beautiful celebratory desserts. This was a great place to celebrate such a big life milestone and I'm so glad we decided to go there. Also, the guacamole was delicious - they made it table side and we basically licked the bowl clean. We'll be back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- complete pleasureTsolDined on 8/23/2014I had read some reviews complaining about the service but our waiter was attentive, the guacamole arrived promptly--delicious, and the creative margaritas, and the chile relleno to die for, and the perfect steak. Bravo!Special Features:
- Great food & ambiance. Who knew?OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/23/2014This was my first time at thiis restaurant. I don't know how authentic it was as a Mexican restaurant but the food was really good. Excellent decor. The homemade guacamole was excellent. The service was impeccable. I would definitely come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AuthenticSassyfoodieVIPDined on 8/22/2014If you're looking for Americanized mexican food, you probably wont love it as much. More of a food menu for Mexican food.Special Features:
- Not as good as the uptown RosasOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 8/21/2014I have been to Rosa Mexicano at Lincoln Center and on the east side. Both are excellent, food, service drinks, etc... This downtown version was a great disappointment. The frozen pomegranate margarita was a cool slush, the guacamole was too hot, we asked for mild... and the chips were soggy... The noise level was actually loud (not energetic, the only option above)... I would never go back to this Union Square restaurant.Special Features:
- Always a winnerJenGDined on 8/19/2014Rosa Mexicano never fails to serve fabulous food and great margaritas. My only complaint is the margaritas aren't big enough!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LuvtoshareDined on 8/19/2014Everything was really good - my husband and I enjoyed a great meal prior to going to a play - we had the quacamole of course and shared a skirt steak entree - really enjoyed it - margaritas are tiny thoughSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Guacamole !!!LuvzfoodDined on 8/18/2014The absolute best table side guacamole. We had two double orders!! Other food was very good. We liked the traditional margaritas better than the signature frozen pomegranate margarita.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Best Guacamole!Foodie512VIPDined on 8/17/2014If you enjoy guacamole, then this is the place to go. It's one of the best I've had (the other is in Philadelphia). The fish tacos and ceviche are also excellent. For fun, we ordered the guacamole ice cream for dessert. Not much avocado, but it is prepared tableside so you see what ingredients go into it. Then it is mixed in a traditional guacamole bowl. It was delicious! The cocktails are great, of course, with many Margarita choices and dozens of tequilas. Their sangria is loaded with fruit and is refreshing.Special Features:
- Always on pointLuvitmuchVIPDined on 8/16/2014Rosa Mexicano union square is my favorite . The staff is friendly & helpful . The food is excellent , as soon as you walk into the door you will be we takin care of .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fun treatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/15/2014went there for a night out with friends. service was great, they were friendly and attentive. food was excellent- we all had the restaurant week menu. also had some drinks. I loved my coquito. def pricey, but nice for the occassional treat.
- Not so greatsouthfloridafoodieVIPDined on 8/15/2014Guacamole - great Margaritas - so so Ceviche - yuch Tacos - good Service - great Disappointed in the total dining experienceSpecial Features:
- Last day of Restaurant Week SuccessChefsKidDined on 8/15/2014Glad I chose this restaurant on this last day of Restaurant Week. The ambiance, food, and service were up to par. The dinner menu gave you the option of an appetizer, entrée, dessert or drink. Since drinks are typically most expensive, my friend and I got the pomegranate margarita. It was excellent! I chose the flautas de pollo as my appetizer was like a chicken egg roll and it was delicious. My entrée was a grilled skirt steak and it was perfectly cooked. Overall, I enjoyed my dining experience at Rosa Mexicano. I highly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My first time hereFoodieinNYDined on 8/15/2014Everything was delicious and authentic. I will definitely be coming back. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luvcelebrateDined on 8/15/2014Tasty, fresh food,. Festive and lively atmosphere. Always reliable for us! Very courteous staff.Special Features:
- Great Time/RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/14/2014The restaurant is nicely decorated. There was a sun roof, string of hanging lights, a waterfall down a wall with different colors of light. I love that the music was not so loud, so you can talk with whomever you went with. I ordered the Tampiquena de Carne Asada and Flan de Rosa. The Tampiquena de Carne Asada was so delicious, and so was the flan. I was impressed with the service. The food came faster than what I am used to and the waitress was so nice. I went with friends to celebrate a special occasion and they also had a wonderful time and experience. So much so that we all decided we come back for another special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- beautiful & deliciousQuornDined on 8/14/2014The main dining room is gorgeous and relaxing. The food is excellent especially the Guacamole made fresh table side. THe waiters are attentive & knowledgeable. I have already reccommended it to friendsSpecial Features:
- Even with reservation 50 min wait!JoannaDined on 8/13/2014I would have rated the restaurant much higher if it was'nt for the 50 minutes wait to get to our table. I know that this is a busy place, this is why I did a reservation! The wait was absurdly long! The restaurant could have warned us before our arrival!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service!hAirguyDined on 8/10/2014Consistent great service, attention to customers. Great food and cocktails. Restaurant week specials were tasty and generous. Always enjoy it here.Special Features:
- Reliable mexican foodWinstonVIPDined on 8/10/2014Reception and service are very good and the Union Square branch is attractive. Plenty of family groups on the week-end which adds to the fun of eating here. I have been eating at Rosa Mexicano for many years, starting out at the First Avenue location, and I do think the quality of food is slipping and not quite as refined as it used to be. Perhaps it is the brunch/lunch shift that is less up to par, and we will try them for dinner one of these days.Special Features:
- High volume, mediocre foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/7/2014Even the wait staff can't hear over the high volume din. The food is mediocre at best. Will not return.
- One of the best Resturant wk menusJST2014Dined on 8/5/2014Great options and even comes with a margarita option. We ha the best server and will absolutely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An unusually disappointing nightPeterDined on 8/5/2014I have been a big fan of Rosa Mexicano for many years. This particular evening was extremely crowded with larger groups, noisy, and service was quite slow. It seems as if the restaurant was not prepared for the volume of guests. I will likely return but my overall opinion of the restaurant has been a bit downgraded.Special Features:
- Used to be bettervillagesqVIPDined on 8/3/2014Our most recent visit to the Union Square Rosa Mexicano was a bit disappointing. The menu no longer has any mole poblano offerings, unlike its First Avenue counterpart, and the dishes we had instead were good but not spectacular. Both the food and the atmosphere are more interesting at the First Avenue location, a long-time fave, and we'll head there instead next time, even though it's more out of the way for us.
- Solid & consistentTBoneDined on 8/3/2014Rosa Mexicana Union Square is a great place to go with groups. They had good choices for Restaurant Week (some restaurants greatly limit their RW menu choices). Waiter was friendly but not intrusive. Guacamole made table side is such a treat. If you're looking for an upscale Mexican restaurant this is the place to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OkGlobalDinerVIPDined on 8/2/2014Nothing to write home about here! We ordered 2 orders of the table side guacamole, one mild & one medium, and they both tasted the same and neither had any spiciness. The food was just ok, nothing "popped". All just mediocre. Very good mojito. Service was good. For these prices we've have had so much better elsewhere.Special Features:
- yummyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/2/2014yummy food- great service- no rush . I can eat all of their guacamole. They make it in front of you and its so perfect. Their sangria is also so sososososo goodSpecial Features:
- Loved itcmktDined on 8/1/2014First time at the New York location. I came here on a double date. The ambiance was great and our server was very attentative. The food was delicious! I'd definitely recommend coming here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Wonderful Restaurant Week Lunchred10461Dined on 8/1/2014The food was excellent. The portions were generous. The service was amazing. The servers were very attentive and made sure we had everything we needed throughout the meal.Special Features:
- Overall great mealtwofoodiesDined on 8/1/2014Another restaurant week, another lunch. This time we went with the set menu and were not disappointed. We tried the famous guacamole, and even I, who am not a huge fan of avocado, thought it was fantastic; a wonderfully fresh and tasty shrimp ceviche; three delicious enchiladas: beef short rib, chicken and cheese; and some very flavourful chicken flautas with smoky & spicy salsas. We finished with fried ice-cream, which was not very good, but by then we didn't care. The service was wonderfully friendly and attentive, with out waiter also bringing us little specials which really enhanced the meal. Oh, and I also had a really awesome strawberry margarita. Overall a very good lunch and we'll definitely be back, probably with friends.Special Features:
- Always a safe betQBEBDined on 7/30/2014The food is always consistent and great. Who can say no to the guacamole.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GoodXraydocVIPDined on 7/27/2014Nice atomosphere, good food (especially the guacamole) and New York prices. Our waiter was friendly but not terribly attentive. I would probably return however.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Guac!leeleeDined on 7/26/2014The guacamole made at your table is delicious. The service is friendly and efficient, and the drinks are good. Our fish main dishes were not balanced; the maui maui was overcooked, but the salmon was cooked perfectly. The sides of black beans and rice were made to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was great but service notLuv2dineDined on 7/25/2014The good was great but customer service was horrible, we felt rushed to hurry and eat and leave.Special Features:
- Loved the food.YanaDined on 7/25/2014I like Mexican food in general, but now I found the place for it. We came as a party of 4 and everything we ordered was great. In addition they have a gluten free menu, which was awesome, I didn't have to question every item on the menu, it makes the whole experience so much easier and nicer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for out of town visitorsOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/24/2014We had a family visiting from Brazil with 4 children. Rosa Mexicana was perfect. The kids menu was great - their meals even came with ice cream!! The staff was lovely. They had the children help make the guacamole - and they loved it.Special Features:
- KimaDined on 7/24/2014The food I ordered was off of the pre-fixe menu, it was great! No complaints, It was very tasty and spicy. The restaurant was very vibrant, it seemed like a very happy place. At the end I was a bit disappointed with our hostess, she didn't show any form of appreciation. It would of been nice to hear a thank you, it was a pleasure having you or she didn't inquire about our experience overall. We had minimum conversation with her during the time we were there. We all placed our order at the same time and went back to conversing. When she picked up the check from the table, she looked forward & took the check with her right hand. Avoiding eye contact with us, that was weird. She was given the suggested tip on the receipt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.