Rosa Mexicano - Union Square
9 E. 18th St.
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $31 to $50
Rosa Mexicano - Union Square
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.rosamexicano.com/
- Phone: 2125333350x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:30 AM - 4:00 PM
Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday 4:00 PM - 10:30 PM
Thursday - Saturday 4:00 PM - 11:30 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican, Contemporary Mexican
- Executive Chef: Joe Quintana
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Regardless of your party size, Rosa Mexicano is the perfect venue to offer your guests a creative, upscale experience. We offer a full range of catering options: buffet stations, pre fixe menus, family style menus, passed hors d'ouvres, etc. We also offer off-premise catering for groups of all sizes. For Large Party Reservations, please contact Amira Gertz at 212.397.0666 ext. 29 or email at email@example.com
- Entertainment: We offer a television in the bar area. On special occasions, we frequently have guest musicians and/or mariachis present to heighten the festive atmosphere. Please contact the restaurant directly with questions.
- Special Events: HAPPY HOUR AT CANTINA BAR | DAILY, 4-7 pm
Half-price select cocktails and appetizers will make you very happy for much more than an hour.
FESTIVAL DE HELADOS | JULY 31-AUG 24
Desserts inspired by classic savory dishes such as guacamole, tamales and empanadas, and paired with handmade ice creams and sorbets infused with Mexican flavors ranging from prickly pear to chili-spiced chocolate.
A word from Rosa Mexicano - Union Square
Just blocks away from Manhattan’s lively Union Square, our third New York location provides a warm and vibrant setting for our award-winning authentic Mexican cuisine. Designed by David Rockwell, the restaurant features architectural accents inspired by the late, famed Mexican architect, Luis Barragan. The internally illuminated electric-blue tiled water wall features cliff diver figurines and candles among the cascading water to separate the bar from the main dining room. Warm terracotta and yellow colors with hot pink accents are featured throughout the restaurant as well as traditional, one-of-a-kind Mexican crafts, fabrics and artwork. This combination creates the perfect backdrop for the festive atmosphere and innovative Mexican cuisine of Rosa Mexicano.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Rosa Mexicano - Union Square reviews from OpenTable diners
303 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (187)special occasion (117)fit for foodies (99)great for lunch (87)hot spot (87)neighborhood gem (85)vibrant bar scene (66)romantic (51)great for brunch (49)kid-friendly (45)late-night find (32)great for outdoor dining (19)scenic view (6)notable wine list (4)Show More
- Not Tex-mexViaggiatoreDined on 9/15/2014Always solid upscale Mexican. Can be a little noisy. Great margaritas!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best Mexican restaurantAlbertoVIPDined on 9/13/2014I went many time to Rosa Mexicano and I am sure i will continue to go there. The food is authentic Mexican food and very delicious, the services is incredible, all people who work there are amazing and friendly , for me the service is very important to feel like home.The drinks are amazing. I recommend to try the enchiladas with mole and spicy margarita, both are the perfect tips for dinner. Enjoy Rosa Mexicano.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Veggie Mix UpVeggieEaterVIPDined on 9/13/2014My vegetarian entree had pork in it. Runner said vegetarian as he placed it down, so the waiter entered it correctly but the kitchen screwed it up somehow. They took it out and brought the correct dish 15 minutes later after my wife had finished eating. Apparently serving meat to a vegetarian or serving entrees 15 minutes apart are no big deal at Rosa, because all I got was an "Sorry about that" along with my full price check. I would have expected a gesture like free dessert to make up for my inconvenience. Also, my coffee took literally 10 minutes to come out. In the end the food was good.
- anonymousDined on 9/11/2014Wonderful service. The flowers we ordered were beautiful and a lovely surprise for the birthday girl.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- trendy dinertrendydinerVIPDined on 9/11/2014Wow! This place is quite impressive. I went there for the first time on a gilt coupon and had a fabulous time. This is my new favorite mexican restaurant. The dishes are amazing especially the beef taco with truffle oil!! Definitely will be going back and would recommend this place! The service was also very good as the waitress was quite attentive and did not rush us out the door.Special Features:
- Mexi-FeastBarryBVIPDined on 9/9/2014I love this place. The margaritas are so good. Food is always tasty. The table-side guacamole made to your personal taste is the best!!Special Features:
- Mexican dinnerGaetano83Dined on 9/7/2014I recommend this place to everybody..really good quality of food really good service and price is in the average of restaurantes likes that..take the guacamole salad.so good..they will prepare it in front of you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a winnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/7/2014Of course the guacamole is always the best in the city, but the rest of the experience is equally as enjoyable. In a city that has few upscale Mexican restaurants, this place is a sure win. As a side note - I'm happy to see that they have finally expanded their frozen margarita offerings to 4 flavors!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trying to be fancy/authenticFitzy0131Dined on 9/5/2014The food wasn't anything special and very pricy. The room was loud so it was hard to hear. The bar area is nice for after work drinks.Special Features:
- Always SatisfyingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/4/2014I dont often dine at Rosa Mexicano but every time I do the ambiance, food, service and drinks are all satisfactory. The only time I experienced something that was unsatisfactory was when I tried the Modelo Sangrita for the first time - not what I expected. But that will not deter me from another visit.Special Features:
- Overpriced and blandreviewDined on 9/4/2014Was so disappointed with Rosa Mexicano. The drinks were terrible, the food was bland, and everything was way too expensive. Service was great and space was lovely, so a shame about the food & drinks.Special Features:
- Over Pricedkrypt0rgDined on 9/3/2014$13 for a margarita seems way too much. We ordered the chicken enchiladas covered in creamy sauce. After eating them, my stomach started bloating and I could barely walk. They are very heavy. I will prolly try the tacos next time.Special Features:
- Guacamole made in front of you!HappyVIPDined on 9/1/2014Great for groups. Good service. Great after work bar scene too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, good service!SarahSDined on 8/26/2014The atmosphere was festive and the service was wonderful! I got a quesadilla and my friend got a chicken tacos. Both of us enjoyed our meals but didn't leave feeling overly full. Our waiter was super friendly and the service moved at a good pace.Special Features:
- Too loudOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/26/2014The music was far too loud, We were 4 people at the table and we could hardly hear each other. It was horrible.Special Features:
- Wonderful, againTraditionDined on 8/25/2014Service was great, we quickly received our food. Our party of eight, including difficult to please grandparents, were all very satisfied. We had the guacamole (twice), margaritas, entrees, and dessert. This was our last dinner together before in-laws left to go back to England. Thank you for another wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jnvaVIPDined on 8/24/2014Have been to other Rosa Mexicanos. First time in Union Square, restaruant was very large with a friendly vibe. Servers were really nice and friendly, although the entrees and drinks took a little long to receive (so we ordered another gau, not sure if that was the intention). We had the gilt city deal, a really great deal with tons of food. The mahi mahi ceviche mini taco apps were really good. Can't go wrong with the chips and gauc. Main entree pork tacos and chicken tacos were really good, didn't like the mahi mahi main. Churros were awesome! Enjoyed my margaritas as well! Would def go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really fantastic serviceScoot912Dined on 8/24/2014When I made my reservation, I told Rosa Mexicano that my 3 friends and I were celebration an engagement and that it was the first time we'd been all together in a year. We've known each other for 22 years. They treated us wonderfully and made it such a great night - a complimentary champagne toast, a free shot for the new fiancé and beautiful celebratory desserts. This was a great place to celebrate such a big life milestone and I'm so glad we decided to go there. Also, the guacamole was delicious - they made it table side and we basically licked the bowl clean. We'll be back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- complete pleasureTsolDined on 8/23/2014I had read some reviews complaining about the service but our waiter was attentive, the guacamole arrived promptly--delicious, and the creative margaritas, and the chile relleno to die for, and the perfect steak. Bravo!Special Features:
- Great food & ambiance. Who knew?OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/23/2014This was my first time at thiis restaurant. I don't know how authentic it was as a Mexican restaurant but the food was really good. Excellent decor. The homemade guacamole was excellent. The service was impeccable. I would definitely come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love RosaisadoraVIPDined on 8/22/2014Have all my celebrations at Rosa Mexicano on 18th Street! Love the ambiance, the energy of the place and especially the Guacamole!Special Features:
- AuthenticSassyfoodieVIPDined on 8/22/2014If you're looking for Americanized mexican food, you probably wont love it as much. More of a food menu for Mexican food.Special Features:
- Always a winnerJenGDined on 8/19/2014Rosa Mexicano never fails to serve fabulous food and great margaritas. My only complaint is the margaritas aren't big enough!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LuvtoshareDined on 8/19/2014Everything was really good - my husband and I enjoyed a great meal prior to going to a play - we had the quacamole of course and shared a skirt steak entree - really enjoyed it - margaritas are tiny thoughSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Guacamole !!!LuvzfoodDined on 8/18/2014The absolute best table side guacamole. We had two double orders!! Other food was very good. We liked the traditional margaritas better than the signature frozen pomegranate margarita.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Best Guacamole!Foodie512VIPDined on 8/17/2014If you enjoy guacamole, then this is the place to go. It's one of the best I've had (the other is in Philadelphia). The fish tacos and ceviche are also excellent. For fun, we ordered the guacamole ice cream for dessert. Not much avocado, but it is prepared tableside so you see what ingredients go into it. Then it is mixed in a traditional guacamole bowl. It was delicious! The cocktails are great, of course, with many Margarita choices and dozens of tequilas. Their sangria is loaded with fruit and is refreshing.Special Features:
- Always on pointLuvitmuchVIPDined on 8/16/2014Rosa Mexicano union square is my favorite . The staff is friendly & helpful . The food is excellent , as soon as you walk into the door you will be we takin care of .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fun treatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/15/2014went there for a night out with friends. service was great, they were friendly and attentive. food was excellent- we all had the restaurant week menu. also had some drinks. I loved my coquito. def pricey, but nice for the occassional treat.
- Not so greatsouthfloridafoodieVIPDined on 8/15/2014Guacamole - great Margaritas - so so Ceviche - yuch Tacos - good Service - great Disappointed in the total dining experienceSpecial Features:
- Last day of Restaurant Week SuccessChefsKidDined on 8/15/2014Glad I chose this restaurant on this last day of Restaurant Week. The ambiance, food, and service were up to par. The dinner menu gave you the option of an appetizer, entrée, dessert or drink. Since drinks are typically most expensive, my friend and I got the pomegranate margarita. It was excellent! I chose the flautas de pollo as my appetizer was like a chicken egg roll and it was delicious. My entrée was a grilled skirt steak and it was perfectly cooked. Overall, I enjoyed my dining experience at Rosa Mexicano. I highly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My first time hereFoodieinNYDined on 8/15/2014Everything was delicious and authentic. I will definitely be coming back. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luvcelebrateDined on 8/15/2014Tasty, fresh food,. Festive and lively atmosphere. Always reliable for us! Very courteous staff.Special Features:
- Great Time/RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/14/2014The restaurant is nicely decorated. There was a sun roof, string of hanging lights, a waterfall down a wall with different colors of light. I love that the music was not so loud, so you can talk with whomever you went with. I ordered the Tampiquena de Carne Asada and Flan de Rosa. The Tampiquena de Carne Asada was so delicious, and so was the flan. I was impressed with the service. The food came faster than what I am used to and the waitress was so nice. I went with friends to celebrate a special occasion and they also had a wonderful time and experience. So much so that we all decided we come back for another special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- beautiful & deliciousQuornDined on 8/14/2014The main dining room is gorgeous and relaxing. The food is excellent especially the Guacamole made fresh table side. THe waiters are attentive & knowledgeable. I have already reccommended it to friendsSpecial Features:
- Even with reservation 50 min wait!JoannaDined on 8/13/2014I would have rated the restaurant much higher if it was'nt for the 50 minutes wait to get to our table. I know that this is a busy place, this is why I did a reservation! The wait was absurdly long! The restaurant could have warned us before our arrival!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good mexican foodPaolaBDined on 8/10/2014elegant and very good food, guacamole made at the time, the best ever eatenSpecial Features:
- Great Service!hAirguyDined on 8/10/2014Consistent great service, attention to customers. Great food and cocktails. Restaurant week specials were tasty and generous. Always enjoy it here.Special Features:
- Reliable mexican foodWinstonVIPDined on 8/10/2014Reception and service are very good and the Union Square branch is attractive. Plenty of family groups on the week-end which adds to the fun of eating here. I have been eating at Rosa Mexicano for many years, starting out at the First Avenue location, and I do think the quality of food is slipping and not quite as refined as it used to be. Perhaps it is the brunch/lunch shift that is less up to par, and we will try them for dinner one of these days.Special Features:
- High volume, mediocre foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/7/2014Even the wait staff can't hear over the high volume din. The food is mediocre at best. Will not return.
- Always safe and funbd1976Dined on 8/6/2014This place is always a safe bet. The food is good and the drinks are good too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.