Rosa Mexicano - San Francisco
30 Mission Street
San Francisco, CA 94105Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
MexicanPrice: $31 to $50
Rosa Mexicano - San Francisco
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.rosamexicano.com/
- Phone: (415) 874-4300
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:30am-2:30pm
Dinner: Monday -Thursday 5:30pm-10:00pm
Dinner: Friday - Saturday 5:30pm-11:00pm
Happy Hour: Monday - Saturday 4:00pm - 7:00pm
*Closed on Sunday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican, Contemporary Mexican
- Executive Chef: David Suarez
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Regardless of your party size, Rosa Mexicano is the perfect venue to offer your guests a creative, upscale experience. We offer a full range of catering options: buffet stations, pre fixe menus, family style menus, passed hors d"ouvres, etc. We also offer off-premise catering for groups of all sizes. Please contact Breé Theriault, email@example.com or
- Entertainment: We offer three TVs in the bar area. On special occasions, we frequently have guest musicians and/or mariachis to heighten the festive atmosphere. Please contact the restaurant directly with questions.
- Special Events: HAPPY HOUR AT CANTINA BAR | DAILY, 4-7 pm
Half-price select cocktails and appetizers will make you very happy for much more than an hour.
A word from Rosa Mexicano - San Francisco
In 1984, Rosa Mexicano set a new standard for Mexican cuisine when it first opened in New York City. Playing a leading role in defining what was then a "new" cuisine to American diners, Rosa Mexicano delivers authentic Mexican cooking in an accessible, stylishly festive atmosphere. Rosa Mexicano"s menu features a range of award-winning signature dishes, including our Guacamole en Molcajete, prepared in a traditional lava rock mortar. Described by Time Out New York as "green ecstasy in a stone bowl," it is prepared table side and served with house made chips, warm corn tortillas and condiment salsas. Rosa Mexicano is also known for the Frozen Pomegranate Margarita, as well as the stylish and festive ambiance that includes our dramatic 15 ft. water wall.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Rosa Mexicano - San Francisco reviews from OpenTable diners
93 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (53)great for lunch (39)fit for foodies (31)great for outdoor dining (30)vibrant bar scene (28)hot spot (18)neighborhood gem (17)special occasion (14)great for brunch (9)romantic (8)kid-friendly (7)scenic view (4)late-night find (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Good, but expensiveJWGWDined on 11/18/2014Title says it all. I see no reason Mexican food cannot be a fine dining experience. There was a little too much cheese on everything, but everything was very good. Perhaps it was the downtown location that raised the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- caligirlDined on 10/24/2014Our waiter was friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. He made the experience really great.Special Features:
- Rosa's Always Greta as usualMrCory0099VIPDined on 10/23/2014We've been to the NYC, DC and LA locations and to add San Francisco to the RM resume' was great! The food and service were excellent! Thanks Rosa!Special Features:
- SherrieVIPDined on 10/14/2014We've eaten at Rosa Mexicano in New York several times, so we were excited to visit this one on our trip to San Francisco. Everything was as delicious as we expected. The margaritas seem small, but they pack a punch, and we love both the original and flavored ones. (Visit the bar between 4-7PM and get exceptional prices on the happy hour drinks.) Food portions in the dining room are large, and since we were in a hotel, we decided to share an appetizer of fish tacos and the chicken mole entrée, which comes with black beans and rice. (The mole isn't on the menu, so it's worthwhile to ask if it's available as a special.) Makes me hungry to think about Rosa Mexicano and just wish we lived closer to one, so we could visit often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale Mexican foodSeanVIPDined on 10/10/2014I've been to a couple of upscale Mexican restaurants and this was good but not great. Service was excellent. They lack a regular type of salsa and only serve super hot red thin and sweet mild green. Not really good on chips ETc. But overall was good experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 85%tileStupadupaDined on 10/9/2014Good food, great presentation and service, TILE WALLS HARDWOOD TABLES AND WINDOWS MALE IT REALLY LOUD AND HARD TO CARRY ON A CONVERSATION WHEN THE PLACE IS FULL!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place for LunchLocalDinerDined on 10/7/2014I work nearby and I meet colleagues and friends at Rosa Mexicano for lunch periodically. Great guacamole' and margaritas also. The staff is very personable and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't take my word for it...runsterDined on 9/25/2014try this place yourself! Good Mexican and Mexican-like fare that won't break the bank (pretty rare in SF!) For lunch, I am particularly partial to their guac - made table-side to order and the salmon salad... Nothing too greasy and you are leaving happy looking forward to the next opportunity to return.Special Features:
- pattyOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/23/2014I bought a voucher for this restaurant but it expired before I could use it. I planned on using what I paid for the voucher. When I arrived at the restaurant, not only did they honor the expired voucher but the service was outstanding!!!Special Features:
- A Different Kind of Mexican FoodSFCAVIPDined on 9/22/2014We had the chile relleno which was quite different from what I am used to. It was fried in a thin crispy crust and stuffed with rice and mushrooms. It was the largest chile I have ever seen. I would not order it again. The guacamole was prepared at the table and was good - $14. Service was a bit slow.
- Great Margaritas & Guac!foodiegrrlVIPDined on 9/17/2014Tableside guacamole made to your liking. Large selection of tequilas. Waitstaff is extremely nice, though can be slow if they get busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food was excellentLouisianaGalVIPDined on 9/15/2014the food was plentiful and excellent, however, service was slow especially for lunch hour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great margaritas! Food not so muchjonvillDined on 9/12/2014I was disappointed by the food, the service was fair. We ordered guacamole which was very good and served promptly. Unfortunately, the main courses were delayed for some unknown reason and when they were finally brought to the table, the server apologized for one of the entrees because it had been sitting under the heat lamps waiting for the other dishes. He offered to have a new one made but I didn't want to wait any longer while the rest of my dining companions started their meals. When I asked about the other dishes at the table, my friends said the chicken was overcooked. Only one person in our party of six was happy with their food. I will not return to this establishment.Special Features:
- Get the guacamole!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/8/2014Table side homemade guacamole was fantastic! Definitely a must in my book.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GeoffVIPDined on 9/4/2014Great place, love it have returned many times see you soon thank youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pork shank was a treat!mizudinesDined on 9/4/2014Came here with a small group after work. At 5:30 the place was full of people enjoying happy hour. Restaurant was chic and inviting. Guacamole was a treat as was the pork shank. Everyone had a great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So much fun!BirgitVIPDined on 8/28/2014Rosa Mexicano is a wonderful spot to spend lunch outside and then stay some more. Their Pomegranate Margaritas are outstanding! And always order the Guacamole.Special Features:
- enjoyableTiffyPopsVIPDined on 8/28/2014My second time here - celebrating a co worker's birthday. Food and atmosphere was nice - the rest of the group enjoyed themselves as well. Had the guacamole this time - it was great! only needed one order for the 4 of us - even though they suggested two. Had the enchiladas - delish! and of course dessert. All in all, a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingCrunchLunchFanDined on 8/26/2014I used to really like Rosa Mexicano and came here often. But they no longer have the Lunch Crunch option (a little soup, a little guac, a small taco and flan), which was my favorite. A lot of variety and not too much of anything. This time a friend and I each ordered soup (still good) and quesadillas to share (just okay). The restaurant wasn't crowded but the service wasn't very good, and they brought us the wrong quesadillas. Nothing major, but disappointing all the same. I just didn't enjoy it and don't think I'll be going back.
- It's all about the guacOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/25/2014This table-side guacamole service is fabulous; easy to load up on chips and skip the entree. But don't, because the fish tacos are worth skipping the appetizer. Happy hour is a great deal and if alcohol isn't your thing the watermelon water, agua fresca, is delicious.Special Features:
- Great service and atmosphereMelissaVIPDined on 8/22/2014The entire wait staff was great. We felt very well taken care of throughout the evening. We asked if we could stay at our table and chat longer and they were very accomadating. Unfortunately, the food wasn't good. We were both disappointed and my friend left half a plate. Still, if you are n the neighborhood, grabbing a cocktail and a botana might not be a bad idea.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/21/2014The guacamole is too die for. Probably the best I have had in quite sometime. Ask for them to make it extra spicy you won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tough to make mexican fancyListentoAndyVIPDined on 8/15/2014Wait staff was confused and delayed. Considering the restaurant was only 50% full this was a bit disappointing. It took 20 minutes to have appetizers served, and then entrees followed to quickly leaving a bulk of things on the table. Fish and Chicken were not favorites at the table but the pork was fabulous. Not too bad, but not a place to take someone you were trying to impress.
- BlechJoeindamissionVIPDined on 8/13/2014Great location. Great guacamole. Really blaaaahhhh food. I got the 'tres enchiladas' and I could only eat the cheese enchilada. None of us (four in total) liked our entres. Appetizers were good. Beautiful people. Bad food.
- Amazing Guac!sarahdDined on 8/9/2014The best place for Guacamole! Made at the table, delicious. Staff are fabulous. Will be back!Special Features:
- Great 1st AnniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/9/2014My husband and I had a lovely lunch date for our 1st year wedding anniversary. The staff were so kind and welcoming and the food was awesome!Special Features:
- Poor service, great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/8/2014The food at Rosa's is really, really, good. We 4 had the veggie taco, the short ribs, the enchiladas, and the steak fajita (or taco...can't remember). Everyone loved each dish. The guacamole, made table-side was wonderful, maybe the best I've had. And the desserts were generous and delicious. But the server got every single phase of the meal wrong, failed to bring iced tea (We had to remove it from the bill) got the margarita orders wrong, the guacamole order wrong and the entrée order wrong. Seriously. At each step of the way he and the staff were polite, apologetic, etc. So no problem with attitude, they were professional and friendly. Just got most things wrong. It was weird.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Has become way overpriced...FlyerVIPDined on 8/8/2014Rosa has become way overpriced. We paid $65 for lunch and we shared a meal and had one margarita each. The drink glasses were small and not very good. I used to like this brand. I will not be going back.
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/6/2014Great place for a group, or even for 2, Happy Hour price deals, very friendly staff, everybody were helpful and attentive. Food was good a little overpriced for Mexican food, but worth it for a special occasion. Drinks were good, strong and the happy hour prices are great and a wide selection of Tequila. Front house staff were friendly and accommodating. Only issue was the restrooms, no toilet paper and no paper towels in the ladies.Special Features:
- I had a great lunch with coworkersSFfoodieDined on 8/6/2014The day before our team meeting my coworkers wanted to talk about where we should go and have lunch the next day. I'm on Rosa's email list and thought it would be a great place to have lunch as a group. It was a fabulous place! We all loved our food and drinks but absolutely loved the guacamole! Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Mexican Food!NanceVIPDined on 8/6/2014Rosa Mexicano has the best Mexican food in the area and the drinks are delicious as well. I would recomment to anyone in the neighborhood or if you need a quick spot for a business lunch this place is ideal.Special Features:
- Great foodCathDined on 7/30/2014The food was ourstanding, and the service and staff were very friendly and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive mexican foodLuv2eatDined on 7/29/2014Pricey for quesadillas and fish tacos -$15 each at lunch. I won't return.Special Features:
- The following 285 reviews are from the Rosa Mexicano - San Francisco reviews archive.
- Nice surprise!TiffyPopsVIPDined on 7/23/2014First time at Rosa Mexicano - my friends and I had it on our list to try out. We took a friend there for her birthday and we found it to be very nice! We enjoyed the décor and ambiance - the restaurant is a lot bigger inside than it looks on the outside. The hostess and servers were really nice. We each had the 3 item pre fixe - I had empanadas for the starter, fish tacos for entrée, dessert was churros with a chocolate dip - everything was great! Service in the beginning was good, but slowed a little during the meal... but the restaurant was pretty busy. All in all, a really nice lunch enjoyed by all of us. We'd come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinner experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/16/2014My husband and I had a delicious dinner at the SFO restaurant! We actually had the guacamole and I had the salmon. I know one doesn't usually think of fish at a Mexican restaurant, and it was fabulous! The black beans were creamy and we loved the ambience. It was a wonderful dinner!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!Karen2845Dined on 7/11/2014This was my first visit to Rosa Mexicano and it exceeded my expectations! The restaurant is lively, the menu has something for everyone, and the tableside guacamole was delicious! Friendly and courteous wait staff: they explained the menu, offered suggestions and were attentive to our needs. We were very pleased with overall service and will definitely go back.Special Features:
- FoodClaimsTeam5Dined on 7/10/2014We were a party of 5. First, the guacamole was excellent and the best item on the menu. Two of us really liked what was ordered. One was carnitas tacos and a chicken dish (can't remember the name). Those two dishes were very good. Two of us ordered the Chili Releno. We both hated it. It was dry and stuffed with rice and no cheese that we could see. The actual chili was hard, almost raw and didn't seem cooked completely. The batter around the chili was hard and dry. There was very little sauce on the plate under the chili releno. Neither one of us was able to finish it. The 5th order was a steak quesadilla which had very little cheese and the person that had ordered it had asked for medium rare and it was well done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and FireworksOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/4/2014It's my favorite place at New Years and 4th of july when I come to town from LA!Special Features:
- great bar scene, so so foodmamakeestDined on 7/2/2014Ambience is great, bar scene was lively. Dinner was mediocre, heavy cheese on chicken, no flavor. Steak looked good but tasted like charcoal. however the churros were amazing! go for a drink or the churros but elsewhere to eat.Special Features:
- Fantastic Dining ExperiencepammyDined on 7/1/2014It was my third visit to Rosa Mexicano. The moment my guest and I entered in the doors everyone was very friendly and pleasant. On my third dining experience one of my guest had never been to the restaurant and by the time we left she said she would definitely return for another for another dining experience. Food and service was awesome as always! I anticipate my fourth dining experience soon!Special Features: