Rosa Mexicano- Minneapolis
609 Hennepin Avenue
Minneapolis, MN 55402Neighborhood:
Downtown / North Loop
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Rosa Mexicano- Minneapolis
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.rosamexicano.com/
- Phone: 6126567144x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Executive Chef: Mauricio Legorreta
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Regardless of your party size, Rosa Mexicano is the perfect venue to offer your guests a creative, upscale experience that few restaurants can match. We offer a full range of catering options: buffet stations, pre fixe menus, family style menus, passed hors d’oeurvres, etc. We also offer off-premise catering for groups of all sizes. For Large Party Reservations, please contact Sara Prutzman at firstname.lastname@example.org or
- Entertainment: On special occasions, we have guest musicians and/or mariachis present to heighten the festive atmosphere. Please contact the restaurant directly with questions.
- Special Events: HAPPY HOUR AT CANTINA BAR | DAILY, 4-7 pm
Half-price select cocktails and appetizers will make you very happy for much more than an hour.
- Cross Street: 6th and Hennepin (City Center)
- Public Transit: PUBLIC TRANSIT:Take the Light-Rail to Fifth & Hennepin Avenue.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet parking is available for $9 after 5pm daily.
DRIVING North: Take highway 35w south to Washington Ave turn right, left on Hennepin Ave. South: Take highway 35w north to downtown exits take the 11th street exit, right on Hennepin Avenue. East: Take highway 94 west to the 11th street exit, right on Hennepin Avenue. West:Take highway 394 east to the Dunwoody exit, Dunwoody turns into Hennepin Avenue.
A word from Rosa Mexicano- Minneapolis
In 1984, Rosa Mexicano set a new standard for Mexican cuisine when it first opened in New York City. Playing a leading role in defining what was then a "new" cuisine to American diners, Rosa Mexicano delivers authentic Mexican cooking in an accessible, stylishly festive atmosphere. Rosa Mexicano's menu features a range of award-winning signature dishes, including our Guacamole en Molcajete, in a traditional lava rock mortar. Described by Time Out New York as "green ecstasy in a stone bowl," it is prepared table side and served with house made chips, warm corn tortillas and condiment salsas. Rosa Mexicano is also known for the Frozen Pomegranate Margarita, as well as the modern and festive ambiance.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Rosa Mexicano- Minneapolis - Best Restaurants in Downtown / North Loop ›
Rosa Mexicano- Minneapolis reviews from OpenTable diners
129 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (56)fit for foodies (52)special occasion (52)great for outdoor dining (46)romantic (29)great for lunch (27)hot spot (23)vibrant bar scene (17)late-night find (12)scenic view (11)neighborhood gem (11)kid-friendly (10)great for brunch (5)notable wine list (2)Show More
- run of the mill Mexican foodHectorDined on 10/20/2014nothing really outstanding. heavy on sauces, light on meat/seafood in dishes we had.
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/20/2014Great food, perfect menu for restaurant week! Would be great for date night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PricesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/18/2014The food is excellent but the are steep, so it wouldn't be a place I would go often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cold foodlovediningDined on 10/18/2014My wife and I were very excited about having table side Guacamole and a nice dinner, the Guac was good, we tried the soup....which was very good and then we split the tres enchiladas, after 2 bites it just got cold.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was Delish!BaylakerDined on 10/14/2014Can't wait to come back and try more things on the menu. And I had one of the best margarita's ever.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014the wait staff was excellent. i had a bday dinner with a friend and they helped me suprise her and our waiter was nothing more than wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!AnissaDined on 10/11/2014The service was outstanding and the food was amazing. Rosa has a great ambiance. I have been there a couple times now and have enjoyed both times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not perfect but very goodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014The restaurant had fantastic ambiance with water features and the table were well spread out. However, two of us were seated in a booth for four and felt far apart to start. The guacamole was cool and fresh, but nothing amazing. The chicken tacos were the better of the two entrees and the chicken enchiladas were smothered in a sauce that had plenty of lime in it. I would return as it was only one entree that left a poor taste in my mouth. Service was great as well!Special Features:
- Enjoyable meal!Jejjej2000Dined on 10/10/2014New to area & found Risa's to be a fun & enjoyable restaurant. Excellent food! Looking for to trying some of the other locations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceMarianneDined on 10/7/2014My daughter recommended this place and I just loved it....their table side guacamole is to die for!!!! Going back in December!!Special Features:
- Outstanding servicedottoDined on 10/6/2014Myself and 4 other coworkers went on a Monday night and it was the 1st time for all of us. We had outstanding service, food was delicious and the guacamole made at the table was amazing. I will be coming back again.Special Features:
- Drinks & Apps OnlyLetsEatDined on 10/3/2014The drinks were great, the fresh quac, salsa and chips were great! Didn't have dessert but what I saw looked really good! Main entree was so so, I had the three different enchiladas plate: beef, chicken & cheese. Meats and cheese were good but to much mole sauce on the plate drowned the flavors. Would go back for the Sangria (white and red) and the apps but won't order an entree.Special Features:
- Great FoodMelissaDined on 10/3/2014We went for a dinner on a Friday night. The restaurant was busy but not crazy. The service was great. The food was excellent. We brought our 4 year old and thought it fit our family fine. The restaurant is pretty noisy so we didn't feel she had to sit perfectly quite. The guacamole was awesome as always.Special Features:
- Rosa MexicanobluemplsDined on 10/1/2014This is my second time to have their special Desde 1984 dinner special and food here has always been very good. Every dish is well prepared and cleanly executed. Our appetizers were freshly made, delicious and perfect with accompanying fresh salsas. Our entree was heavy, very rich and very filling but nevertheless, still very delicious. (I had the filete with mushroom cream sauce). Overall, food was very good, service is excellent and this place is a pricey $$$ even with the specials going on Recommendation: Try this place for an upscale dinner specially with the specials going on Frozen mango margaritas are very goodSpecial Features:
- Upscale Mexican food!NorskechickDined on 10/1/2014Loved it! Everything was awesome! Right from the start. Very welcoming, prompt and courteous service! The homemade guacamole was made right in front of us, delicious! Homemade salsa could not stop eating. Yum! Will definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/30/2014The service was so slow it overshadowed the fact that the food and atmosphere was good. I would not recommend going here if you are in a hurry.
- Slow to serveDaisy418Dined on 9/30/2014Great food & atmosphere. Server not attentive. Food took over half hour to arrive and server never came to table to check on us or provide status of dinner. Manager alerted us of dinner coming out just prior to it being served. Very good entrees and guacamole made at the table. Hopefully just an off night with the server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hit and MissMsMarlinDined on 9/27/2014This was my second visit to this restaurant, and there are things that are done really well (like the guacomole prepared tableside, and the tortilla soup) and not so well (the veggies in the vegetable tacos were limp, and the service was incredibly slow). We had to ask for the rice and beans for the table, as our server forgot to bring it. I doubt we will be back.Special Features:
- kaglesDined on 9/26/2014Service for drinks and appetizers served quickly but then waited forever for food and even longer for a second round of drinks. Guacamole was marvelous but the entree's were only OK. Service started out great and ended badly.
- Viva MexicoOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/15/2014For authentic Mexican food in a modern setting, Rosa Mexicano is definitely the place to be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/15/2014The food was just mediocre for high prices, but the inattentive service is what wrecked the evening. I will not be back.
- Thanks for the Guac!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/14/2014Our group of 10 had a reservation and an honest mistake was made where our table was given to a different group, so we had to be split into two separate tables. Our group was not upset - more easy breezy, go with the flow kind of people, but the restaurant proceeded to go out of their way to make us happy and they sure did. The margaritas were excellent, the food was all excellent, our server did a wonderful job as well. To make up for the mistake, they also took care of our unlimited guac for both tables - thank you! We had a wonderful time and would recommend and will be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tastyyummnDined on 9/12/2014We appreciated the server's recommendations for food and drinks. They also had a great three-course menu deal going. Nice atmosphere, was perfect for dinner before a show/game/etc downtown.Special Features:
- Outstanding Tequila ListBazzDined on 9/9/2014The food was great, but the stand-out part of the meal was the tequila and mescal list. This place is to tequila fans what a good pub is to fans of Scotch. The final bill was a little bigger than I thought the meal rated, but that's what I get for ordering cocktails in a bar these days.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingBetzDined on 9/7/2014I was disappointed with the food and service at Rosa Mexicano. The food was mediocre at best and when it was time for us to leave, we had to look for the server who had trouble getting our bill split right.
- Very good Mexican foodLoveToEatWellDined on 9/6/2014The food and margaritas (the Pomegranate, the Antigua, and the Cadillac) were excellent. The staff were very attentive without hovering. Would recommend to anyone who appreciates better than average food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All-around great dining experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/6/2014My wife and I purchased a Living Social voucher for a 4 course dinner, having never been there before. When we arrived, we asked to sit outside on their patio, which is slightly elevated and partitioned off from the sidewalk. The patio area is quiet and spacious and provided a cool, comfortable dining experience. The service was top-notch, we were consistently attended to from the first moment we walked in the restaurant. Our server explained our 4 course dinner experience and each course was delicious. Their tequila selection was great, nice variety in the margaritas. Service was awesome and attentive, our glasses of water were consistently topped off, we never ran out of chips and salsa, and food and drinks were delivered quickly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bueno!YhfyjiVIPDined on 9/5/2014Rosa Mexicano always does an outstanding job and their Tres Leches cake is worth driving downtown for all on its own!Special Features:
- lost a little mojotomgVIPDined on 8/31/2014A long-time favorite from our time in New York, Rosa Mexicano disappointed this time. The $14 guacamole seemed to shrink, with only one avocado for two people. The lemonade was powdered. And the main courses were overgrilled. Hope it was just an off night.Special Features:
- Nice before a showletsgiveitatryVIPDined on 8/31/2014Needed to find a family friendly restaurant before a show at the Orpheum Theater and this was perfect. This place had a unique setup and decoration inside. Food was good and servers were very helpful. Waiter recommended the BBQ Ribs which I was skeptical of but went with his recommendation and it was excellent. Good taste and the meat just fell apart perfectly. Plan on going back for our next show when we have a mixed group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice dinner after the showFoodisgoodDined on 8/30/2014We enjoyed a nice dinner with a couple cocktails. Service and food very good.
- Not so good this timecazzimaDined on 8/28/2014We've been to Rosa in Minneapolis now 3-4 times. This was not a good experience. I was surprised at the slow attention we received sitting in the Lounge (as we've never dined in the Lounge before). Once they realized our wait time (and limited dinner time to get to a show), they were bending over backwards to be attentive. The guac is ALWAYS great and delicious, so I give most of the good rating for that. It was the menu...I don't remember not being able to find anything I didn't want to eat. We aren't cilantro people, so yes, it's hard to find dishes without cilantro-can't fault them there. But what we had tasted like spaghettio tomato sauce. :(I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy hour guacamole great!SJCMDined on 8/23/2014Happy Hour guacamole was endless and the classic margaritas and sangria was good. When we arrived the hostess very not friendly and unorganized. We waited at the bar for outdoor seating. The bartender we had was awesome! When we moved to the outside sitting we weren't greeted by a server and we waited a long time for drinks and apps. Our dinners were just ok very pricey! And each time we ordered drinks it took forever to get them but when we asked for bill it took seconds to get that to the table. It was our first visit for a friend birthday. The 5 of us wouldn't go back.Special Features:
- First time was a great timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014Really no complaints other than the menu items were a little on the high side. However, the guacamole was terrific - a must if you goSpecial Features:
- underwelmedmcMNDined on 8/13/2014I've been 3 times now and all three times it has just been mediocre at best. The margaritas are good but the food is not (aside from the ceviche tacos which were great).Special Features:
- Rosa Mexicana - upscale mexicanVanessaDined on 8/10/2014Rosa Mexicana does not disappoint! We were there for the second time in a few weeks and it was fabulous! The service there really can't be beat. Our waitress was very kind and was very helpful in accommodating our dietary restrictions. The food is always fabulous and the atmosphere was perfect for a date night. 2 items not to be missed are the street corn and the espresso flan. The street corn is a little messy but wow is it worth it. The espresso flan is this mix of (typically) strong flavors that are paired so well that everyone plays nice together.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great guacamolefoodieatheartDined on 8/2/2014Delicious guacamole and margaritas. Nice atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/31/20141st visit here. Great selection of items not generally associated with Mexican food. Plenty of food for your money. Sat outside which was nice, but some construction across the street. Near theatre and sports areas. All in walking distance.Special Features:
- Great for date nightStarrybreDined on 7/24/2014Excellent service, food was delicious and you could still have a nice conversation and hear each other talk even when the dining ro was near full. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RashenaDined on 7/23/2014Our server was horrible. We went there for restaurant week and he charge us regular prices. We didn't say anything because we just wanted to leave. The food was delicious though! And the host was very accommodating.Special Features: