Rosa Mexicano- Minneapolis
609 Hennepin Avenue
Minneapolis, MN 55402Neighborhood:
Downtown / North Loop
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Rosa Mexicano- Minneapolis
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.rosamexicano.com/
- Phone: 6126567144x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Executive Chef: Mauricio Legorreta
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Regardless of your party size, Rosa Mexicano is the perfect venue to offer your guests a creative, upscale experience that few restaurants can match. We offer a full range of catering options: buffet stations, pre fixe menus, family style menus, passed hors d’oeurvres, etc. We also offer off-premise catering for groups of all sizes. For Large Party Reservations, please contact Sara Prutzman at firstname.lastname@example.org or
- Entertainment: On special occasions, we have guest musicians and/or mariachis present to heighten the festive atmosphere. Please contact the restaurant directly with questions.
- Special Events: HAPPY HOUR AT CANTINA BAR | DAILY, 4-7 pm
Half-price select cocktails and appetizers will make you very happy for much more than an hour.
FESTIVAL DE HELADOS | JULY 31-AUG 24
Desserts inspired by classic savory dishes such as guacamole, tamales and empanadas, and paired with handmade ice creams and sorbets infused with Mexican flavors ranging from prickly pear to chili-spiced chocolate.
- Cross Street: 6th and Hennepin (City Center)
- Public Transit: PUBLIC TRANSIT:Take the Light-Rail to Fifth & Hennepin Avenue.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet parking is available for $9 after 5pm daily.
DRIVING North: Take highway 35w south to Washington Ave turn right, left on Hennepin Ave. South: Take highway 35w north to downtown exits take the 11th street exit, right on Hennepin Avenue. East: Take highway 94 west to the 11th street exit, right on Hennepin Avenue. West:Take highway 394 east to the Dunwoody exit, Dunwoody turns into Hennepin Avenue.
A word from Rosa Mexicano- Minneapolis
In 1984, Rosa Mexicano set a new standard for Mexican cuisine when it first opened in New York City. Playing a leading role in defining what was then a "new" cuisine to American diners, Rosa Mexicano delivers authentic Mexican cooking in an accessible, stylishly festive atmosphere. Rosa Mexicano's menu features a range of award-winning signature dishes, including our Guacamole en Molcajete, in a traditional lava rock mortar. Described by Time Out New York as "green ecstasy in a stone bowl," it is prepared table side and served with house made chips, warm corn tortillas and condiment salsas. Rosa Mexicano is also known for the Frozen Pomegranate Margarita, as well as the modern and festive ambiance.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Rosa Mexicano- Minneapolis - Best Restaurants in Downtown / North Loop ›
Rosa Mexicano- Minneapolis reviews from OpenTable diners
122 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (59)good for groups (51)special occasion (49)fit for foodies (47)romantic (28)great for lunch (28)hot spot (21)vibrant bar scene (16)late-night find (13)neighborhood gem (10)scenic view (10)great for brunch (7)kid-friendly (6)notable wine list (2)Show More
- Viva MexicoOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/15/2014For authentic Mexican food in a modern setting, Rosa Mexicano is definitely the place to be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/15/2014The food was just mediocre for high prices, but the inattentive service is what wrecked the evening. I will not be back.
- Thanks for the Guac!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/14/2014Our group of 10 had a reservation and an honest mistake was made where our table was given to a different group, so we had to be split into two separate tables. Our group was not upset - more easy breezy, go with the flow kind of people, but the restaurant proceeded to go out of their way to make us happy and they sure did. The margaritas were excellent, the food was all excellent, our server did a wonderful job as well. To make up for the mistake, they also took care of our unlimited guac for both tables - thank you! We had a wonderful time and would recommend and will be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Tequila ListBazzDined on 9/9/2014The food was great, but the stand-out part of the meal was the tequila and mescal list. This place is to tequila fans what a good pub is to fans of Scotch. The final bill was a little bigger than I thought the meal rated, but that's what I get for ordering cocktails in a bar these days.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingBetzDined on 9/7/2014I was disappointed with the food and service at Rosa Mexicano. The food was mediocre at best and when it was time for us to leave, we had to look for the server who had trouble getting our bill split right.
- Very good Mexican foodLoveToEatWellDined on 9/6/2014The food and margaritas (the Pomegranate, the Antigua, and the Cadillac) were excellent. The staff were very attentive without hovering. Would recommend to anyone who appreciates better than average food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All-around great dining experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/6/2014My wife and I purchased a Living Social voucher for a 4 course dinner, having never been there before. When we arrived, we asked to sit outside on their patio, which is slightly elevated and partitioned off from the sidewalk. The patio area is quiet and spacious and provided a cool, comfortable dining experience. The service was top-notch, we were consistently attended to from the first moment we walked in the restaurant. Our server explained our 4 course dinner experience and each course was delicious. Their tequila selection was great, nice variety in the margaritas. Service was awesome and attentive, our glasses of water were consistently topped off, we never ran out of chips and salsa, and food and drinks were delivered quickly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bueno!YhfyjiVIPDined on 9/5/2014Rosa Mexicano always does an outstanding job and their Tres Leches cake is worth driving downtown for all on its own!Special Features:
- lost a little mojotomgVIPDined on 8/31/2014A long-time favorite from our time in New York, Rosa Mexicano disappointed this time. The $14 guacamole seemed to shrink, with only one avocado for two people. The lemonade was powdered. And the main courses were overgrilled. Hope it was just an off night.Special Features:
- Nice before a showletsgiveitatryVIPDined on 8/31/2014Needed to find a family friendly restaurant before a show at the Orpheum Theater and this was perfect. This place had a unique setup and decoration inside. Food was good and servers were very helpful. Waiter recommended the BBQ Ribs which I was skeptical of but went with his recommendation and it was excellent. Good taste and the meat just fell apart perfectly. Plan on going back for our next show when we have a mixed group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice dinner after the showFoodisgoodDined on 8/30/2014We enjoyed a nice dinner with a couple cocktails. Service and food very good.
- Not so good this timecazzimaDined on 8/28/2014We've been to Rosa in Minneapolis now 3-4 times. This was not a good experience. I was surprised at the slow attention we received sitting in the Lounge (as we've never dined in the Lounge before). Once they realized our wait time (and limited dinner time to get to a show), they were bending over backwards to be attentive. The guac is ALWAYS great and delicious, so I give most of the good rating for that. It was the menu...I don't remember not being able to find anything I didn't want to eat. We aren't cilantro people, so yes, it's hard to find dishes without cilantro-can't fault them there. But what we had tasted like spaghettio tomato sauce. :(I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy hour guacamole great!SJCMDined on 8/23/2014Happy Hour guacamole was endless and the classic margaritas and sangria was good. When we arrived the hostess very not friendly and unorganized. We waited at the bar for outdoor seating. The bartender we had was awesome! When we moved to the outside sitting we weren't greeted by a server and we waited a long time for drinks and apps. Our dinners were just ok very pricey! And each time we ordered drinks it took forever to get them but when we asked for bill it took seconds to get that to the table. It was our first visit for a friend birthday. The 5 of us wouldn't go back.Special Features:
- First time was a great timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014Really no complaints other than the menu items were a little on the high side. However, the guacamole was terrific - a must if you goSpecial Features:
- underwelmedmcMNDined on 8/13/2014I've been 3 times now and all three times it has just been mediocre at best. The margaritas are good but the food is not (aside from the ceviche tacos which were great).Special Features:
- Rosa Mexicana - upscale mexicanVanessaDined on 8/10/2014Rosa Mexicana does not disappoint! We were there for the second time in a few weeks and it was fabulous! The service there really can't be beat. Our waitress was very kind and was very helpful in accommodating our dietary restrictions. The food is always fabulous and the atmosphere was perfect for a date night. 2 items not to be missed are the street corn and the espresso flan. The street corn is a little messy but wow is it worth it. The espresso flan is this mix of (typically) strong flavors that are paired so well that everyone plays nice together.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great guacamolefoodieatheartDined on 8/2/2014Delicious guacamole and margaritas. Nice atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/31/20141st visit here. Great selection of items not generally associated with Mexican food. Plenty of food for your money. Sat outside which was nice, but some construction across the street. Near theatre and sports areas. All in walking distance.Special Features:
- Great for date nightStarrybreDined on 7/24/2014Excellent service, food was delicious and you could still have a nice conversation and hear each other talk even when the dining ro was near full. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RashenaDined on 7/23/2014Our server was horrible. We went there for restaurant week and he charge us regular prices. We didn't say anything because we just wanted to leave. The food was delicious though! And the host was very accommodating.Special Features:
- Great FoodLoveFoodDined on 7/21/2014My team at work visited this restaurant during Restaurant Week. The food was great and the addition of a dessert was fun. Needless to say, none of us needed dinner that night as we were still well-satisfied with the amount of food we had been given for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, food and atmosphereVanessaDined on 7/20/2014The restaurant is gorgeous! We were there for Restaurant Week and were surprised at home many options we had on the event menu. I ordered the lump crab enchiladas for dinner. I was not a fan (and I do love crab). The waitress was very kind and very quickly replaced it with chicken enchiladas in a red sauce, yum! My husband had no complaints about anything he ordered. For dessert we had the flan. Let's just say that whomever made the flan deserves a hug.Special Features:
- DuckDined on 7/18/2014Every dish was full of flavors that compliment each other. Varied menu with beef, chicken,crab, shrimp, etc. Looks like gf would be no problem. Offers a great opportunity to try new flavors and foods. We will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/16/2014Just love everything I order at Rosa Mexacana--especially the guacamole and enciladasSpecial Features:
- Mixed feelingsMJH123Dined on 7/15/2014We have mixed feelings on this place. The initial waitress left us for 15-20 minutes and as we were getting ready to leave the table another waiter came in and saved the business for this business. People around us did take notice of our emptiness, but we were certainly not rude about anything. New waiter comped was given the okay to comp a few items (we paid for our lunch) and we went on our way. Food was pretty good, service was good after the initial waitress. Hope your experience is top notch from start to finish.Special Features:
- The best and freshest mexican food.ShrinerguyDined on 7/10/2014Overall food - excellent. Fresh guac. made at tableside. Quick service and not overbearing.Special Features:
- Definitely went the extra mile!SchpekutsaDined on 7/8/2014I cannot say enough about Craig, the manager, and the staff at this fantastic restaurant. We had a VERY large group assembling for the Shriner's convention and parade, with kids and some guests with limited mobility. We asked for a seat by the window to watch the parade on Hennepin Ave (of course everyone wants a window) but they found a way. Our group made several last minute changes, arrived early and stayed late, made duplicate reservations, and made special requests that should have made the staff crazy. But instead they just smiled and ensured that we had a wonderful time. The food was great, the server was amazing (he even managed to give everyone separate checks, which blew our minds) and the management was incredible.Special Features:
- DissapointingOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/8/2014Happy Hour is 4-7. My drink was empty for 20 minutes before the waiter came back - it was 6:58 and I said I wanted the white wine on the happy hour menu. Waiter said sorry happy hour is over - I showed him my phone which said 6:58 and he said our clock says 7! argued with me. Couldn't believe it - he could have handled that much better. We'll never go back. First impression food was average and service was amateur.
- Fun fantastic foodJenjayluDined on 7/3/2014Not your typical Americanized Mexican. Unique good combos with a great flavor. Presentation was amazing. Beautiful atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/30/2014Not amazing, not anthibg extra ordinary. I've had more amazing food cheaper and more authinic. If you go the gacumole was the best and drinks.Special Features:
- Chorizo Fondue a must have!luvfoodDined on 6/29/2014Overall, we had a good experience. The fondue with chorizo is a must have. Good happy hour and small plates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Please be Veggie friendly!!localfoodiesDined on 6/27/2014Would be nice to have more veggie dishes along with the various sauces on the menu. Every time the menu is changed, it seems to loose the more healthy choices, deep frying fish for instance in the tacos and smothering in creamy sauce. Each time we order, it seems like the server has to say "well, I'll check with the chef to see if we can do it without or do it with" whatever we want. Its usually done, but why not just keep it on the menu?By the way, we love the brown rice and bowl of black beans served with main courses!Special Features:
- First rate!loves2eatVIPDined on 6/25/2014Rosa Mexican and staff out did themselves for us. The food was both delicious and beautifully presented. We were celebrating a special anniversary and the chef came out to speak with us and present us with complimentary champagne. The table-side guacamole was done with flourish ad was the best in town. Splendid and highly recommended!Special Features:
- Excellent Mexican done wellOChemistDined on 6/25/2014Fantastic guacamole made at the table. Portion sizes were modest yet adequate and thus did not leave you bloated and feeling heavy, as can sometimes be the case with Mexican dishes for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The bad reviews are accurate!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/24/2014Essentially, this restaurant is poorly managed and poorly staffed. They have more rules than an elementary school (re: seating, happy hour, table-side guacamole, etc.), and possibly the worst service that I have ever experienced. The hostess was confused, the manager was rude, and our server was disinterested. There were only two other tables full while we were there, yet getting our waiter's attention was like mission impossible. The unlimited guac is not really unlimited if you have to hunt and beg to get it each time. (We were only able to get one refill.)
- Great guac terrible serviceGirlsnightoutDined on 6/21/2014This was our first time frequenting the restaurant. Unfortunately, our waitress was unfriendly, a terrible server and rude. The manager quickly saw our dissatisfaction and came to her rescue. I would recommend the guacamole appetizer!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Avoid this placeYoungCash6555Dined on 6/20/2014Poor service, overpriced food ($24 for 2 avocados worth of guacamole), small portions. You can do better downtown.
- overall good experienceCoryandHannahDined on 6/19/2014We got a really great deal through Livingsocial and the amount of food and drinks we got for the money bordered on ludicrous. We ended up taking home almost half the food. The service was very, very professional while still friendly and personal, and the overall vibe was sophisticated without being oppressive. The ceviche tacos were a bit intense for my wife and I; the flavors and richness were amazing, but overwhelmingly flavorful. I'd say too much citrus and a bit heavy-handed on the truffle oil for our taste. Other than that we loved everything. My margarita was superb and the tacos surpassed my expectations. My favorite was the Filete steak tacos, and how the steak blended with the sauteed mushrooms. Seriously eye-wateringly goodSpecial Features:
- RosaDined on 6/15/2014I don't care for the menu. Need more of a variety of foods to choose from. Also be great to put origianl tacos with hard shells on the menu.Special Features:
- Average at bestaveragejoeDined on 6/13/2014Rosa Mexicana has some highs and lows. By far the best thing about RM is their fresh made guacamole. Delicious. And the margaritas were good as well. We sampled frozen strawberry, grand marnier, and regular on the rocks margaritas - all good. The on-the-rocks margarita was a tad bit strong for our tastes. The chips are fine (nothing special) and the salsa is odd - very sweet. The worst part was the main course. I had an empanada with chicken - it was so very dry corn (I think) tortilla with shredded chicken with no sauce or flavor inside. None of the other tree people with me enjoyed the dish. This was my first visit and I will likely not go there again. Total bill for 4 people was almost $200.