Rosa Mexicano - Minneapolis
609 Hennepin Avenue
Minneapolis, MN 55402Neighborhood:
Downtown / North Loop
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Rosa Mexicano - Minneapolis
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.rosamexicano.com/
- Phone: (612) 656-7144
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Executive Chef: Mauricio Legorreta
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Regardless of your party size, Rosa Mexicano is the perfect venue to offer your guests a creative, upscale experience that few restaurants can match. We offer a full range of catering options: buffet stations, pre fixe menus, family style menus, passed hors d’oeurvres, etc. We also offer off-premise catering for groups of all sizes. For Large Party Reservations, please contact Sara Prutzman at firstname.lastname@example.org or
- Entertainment: On special occasions, we have guest musicians and/or mariachis present to heighten the festive atmosphere. Please contact the restaurant directly with questions.
- Special Events: HAPPY HOUR AT CANTINA BAR | DAILY, 4-7 pm
Half-price select cocktails and appetizers will make you very happy for much more than an hour.
- Cross Street: 6th and Hennepin (City Center)
- Public Transit: PUBLIC TRANSIT:Take the Light-Rail to Fifth & Hennepin Avenue.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet parking is available for $9 after 5pm daily.
DRIVING North: Take highway 35w south to Washington Ave turn right, left on Hennepin Ave. South: Take highway 35w north to downtown exits take the 11th street exit, right on Hennepin Avenue. East: Take highway 94 west to the 11th street exit, right on Hennepin Avenue. West:Take highway 394 east to the Dunwoody exit, Dunwoody turns into Hennepin Avenue.
A word from Rosa Mexicano - Minneapolis
In 1984, Rosa Mexicano set a new standard for Mexican cuisine when it first opened in New York City. Playing a leading role in defining what was then a "new" cuisine to American diners, Rosa Mexicano delivers authentic Mexican cooking in an accessible, stylishly festive atmosphere. Rosa Mexicano's menu features a range of award-winning signature dishes, including our Guacamole en Molcajete, in a traditional lava rock mortar. Described by Time Out New York as "green ecstasy in a stone bowl," it is prepared table side and served with house made chips, warm corn tortillas and condiment salsas. Rosa Mexicano is also known for the Frozen Pomegranate Margarita, as well as the modern and festive ambiance.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Rosa Mexicano - Minneapolis - Best Restaurants in Downtown / North Loop ›
Rosa Mexicano - Minneapolis reviews from OpenTable diners
131 reviews since August 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (61)fit for foodies (57)special occasion (50)great for outdoor dining (27)romantic (27)hot spot (25)great for lunch (21)vibrant bar scene (18)late-night find (13)neighborhood gem (13)kid-friendly (8)scenic view (5)great for brunch (5)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Enjoyed our night out!FrequentDinerVIPDined on 11/22/2014chips and salsa were very average, Margaritas were very good . Our entrées were delicious. The flan desert was one of the best deserts we have had in a long time, done very uniquely. We enjoyed our evening very much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor serviceNonalcoholicDinerDined on 11/22/2014Our glasses were never refilled; water glasses filled only while entree plates were on the table. We didn't order alcohol, and I wonder if that was part of the poor service. It took so long to get my beverage, I thought it had been forgotten. Our server essentially pushed our bill on us: should I bring you your check now? It was asked 4 times; they were still open. We stayed talking + catching up and would have ordered more food + beverages had anyone ever come back to our table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingSNE2014Dined on 11/15/2014Amazing food, service & staff. A must stop if in Minneapolis!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LV625Dined on 11/15/2014Rosa Mexicano was a fantastic dining experience. The food was delicious, the server attentive and the ambience extremely fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Celiac (gluten free) suffurersPorts20Dined on 11/15/2014Waitress was stationed at tables to far from each other which made service slow. Food was awesome and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/14/2014Food was good, great atmosphere - perfect proximity to Target Center!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rosa Mexicana offers very authentic mexican foodNanciDined on 11/14/2014Was very excited to try this restaurant and had had my margarita picked out a week in advance. I did not like the margarita; tried a more traditional margarita and did not like taste of that one either. The city I live in has a Mexican restaurant that has fabulous margaritas so was disappointed. Our waitress was fantastic and did a great job of explaining the menu, but did not tell me that the entree I selected was served cold. Entree was OK only. We ordered guacamole, which was made at the table but when I saw the amount of cilantro food preparer was going to toss in I tried to stop him, but not really listening to my request. Guacamole was very good anyway. All 5 of us ordered a different dessert. Most were very good, but my flan was only OK. Think I just do not like authentic Mexican food, which surprised me. Also did nothing for my daughter's BD. Best part of the Rosa experience was our wonderful waitress. I would not return to this restaurant, but not sure that anything was really wrong with Rosa just not my taste. Also pricey!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/13/2014Food service was good, bar service poor. Waited over 10 minutes to get drinks to our table and the second drink was ordered when our food came. Finished our food and still no second drink
- NeighborVIPDined on 11/9/2014Although I did appreciate having the chef come to the table, this place was not able to accommodate allergies well.
- Not the bestOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014For the price of the food I don't think it was worth it. I've had better for less money. The service was really slow-we waited almost 15 mins before the server even came to take a drink order then walked away right away even though we were ready to order. When we finally ordered and got our food we were less than impressed. We will not be returning.
- Great PlaceBrendaVIPDined on 11/7/2014I loved everything about this restaurant from the service to the table side guacamole to the pomegranate margarita to the entree. I highly recommend. Delicious!Special Features:
- Just OkOutstateMNFoodieDined on 11/7/2014We went before a concert at the Target Center. The guacamole was delicious - we got both the medium & spicy (spicy was amazing). The drinks were very good (pineapple mojito & a margarita our server recommended). Our server was great (I wish I remembered his name). However, the actual food/tapas we ordered were nothing special, and definitely not worth the price. At 1 point, I think the bar got too busy for itself. Someone in my party ordered a drink that took extremely long to get. Then someone in my party ordered a bloody mary - awhile later, we were told there was no bloody mary mix left, then awhile after that, a server showed up with a bloody mary, and another margarita that we didn't order?
- food and staff were wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/7/2014On a very busy Friday night before a concert the food was slow but the staff and managment was great to us. The food was wonderful too!Special Features:
- Satisfide againDecerningDinerDined on 11/3/2014I was happy that I recommended Rosa Mexicano to visiting colleagues who had never been. It was a Monday night so quieter than usual which was perfect for a first timer to be able to take time reviewing the menu and linger over dinner. As usual the food was outstanding and the guacamole made fresh at the table was a hit. Outstanding service as usual. I highly recomment Rosa Mexicano for any occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun place to eat downtownCelesteDined on 11/1/2014This is a warm and friendly restaurant that is simply stunning. The food is edgy and surprisingly good- the staff is warm and accomodating. Order the the guacamole that they make table side. You wont regret it! Perfect for Birthdays!Special Features:
- All around great!Supertaster1Dined on 10/30/2014We came for a birthday celebration on a weekday evening. It was a perfect dining experience. The food was divine. We had the enchiladas and pork tacos and an empanada appetizer. The service was just excellent. The ambience was lovely. It was not very busy so we were able to chat with our server and that made the experience that much more enjoyable. Parking was easier than expected with a ramp that brought us to the inside entrance without setting foot outside. Prices were reasonable for downtown-not cheap, but 15-20 for an entree is not bad. The coffee flavored flan brownie was inspired. A perfect end to a perfect dinner.Special Features:
- My third visit herebluemplsDined on 10/25/2014Saturday Oct 26 was my third visit here and also was my third time to have their Desde 1984 Special menu. There was some confusion about the valid dates but once i showed our server their website, the confusion about the dates was settled and we had a good meal. SUMMARY: Appetizers and Entree was good, nothing extraordinary. Presentation is very good and clean. I had the Filete in tequila wild mushroom sauce which i think was too rich and heavy, my palate is searching for something fresh. Drinks was very good, refreshing and has a kick to it. Very clean and refreshing with balanced fruity and sweet but there seems to be a lack of presentation Overall I recommend this place for special promotions Service was very good and very courteousSpecial Features:
- QuentinDJJohnnyTDined on 10/24/2014Was our server, and he couldn't have done a better job. He made sure that me and my significant other were taken care of for the entire duration of our 2hr stay, and we traded witty banter all night. The food was glorious, the atmosphere superb. And overall, Quentin made the night. I hope he reads this! Great jobSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- run of the mill Mexican foodHectorDined on 10/20/2014nothing really outstanding. heavy on sauces, light on meat/seafood in dishes we had.
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/20/2014Great food, perfect menu for restaurant week! Would be great for date night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PricesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/18/2014The food is excellent but the are steep, so it wouldn't be a place I would go often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cold foodlovediningDined on 10/18/2014My wife and I were very excited about having table side Guacamole and a nice dinner, the Guac was good, we tried the soup....which was very good and then we split the tres enchiladas, after 2 bites it just got cold.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was Delish!BaylakerDined on 10/14/2014Can't wait to come back and try more things on the menu. And I had one of the best margarita's ever.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014the wait staff was excellent. i had a bday dinner with a friend and they helped me suprise her and our waiter was nothing more than wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!AnissaDined on 10/11/2014The service was outstanding and the food was amazing. Rosa has a great ambiance. I have been there a couple times now and have enjoyed both times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not perfect but very goodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014The restaurant had fantastic ambiance with water features and the table were well spread out. However, two of us were seated in a booth for four and felt far apart to start. The guacamole was cool and fresh, but nothing amazing. The chicken tacos were the better of the two entrees and the chicken enchiladas were smothered in a sauce that had plenty of lime in it. I would return as it was only one entree that left a poor taste in my mouth. Service was great as well!Special Features:
- Enjoyable meal!Jejjej2000Dined on 10/10/2014New to area & found Risa's to be a fun & enjoyable restaurant. Excellent food! Looking for to trying some of the other locations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceMarianneDined on 10/7/2014My daughter recommended this place and I just loved it....their table side guacamole is to die for!!!! Going back in December!!Special Features:
- Outstanding servicedottoDined on 10/6/2014Myself and 4 other coworkers went on a Monday night and it was the 1st time for all of us. We had outstanding service, food was delicious and the guacamole made at the table was amazing. I will be coming back again.Special Features:
- Drinks & Apps OnlyLetsEatDined on 10/3/2014The drinks were great, the fresh quac, salsa and chips were great! Didn't have dessert but what I saw looked really good! Main entree was so so, I had the three different enchiladas plate: beef, chicken & cheese. Meats and cheese were good but to much mole sauce on the plate drowned the flavors. Would go back for the Sangria (white and red) and the apps but won't order an entree.Special Features:
- Great FoodMelissaDined on 10/3/2014We went for a dinner on a Friday night. The restaurant was busy but not crazy. The service was great. The food was excellent. We brought our 4 year old and thought it fit our family fine. The restaurant is pretty noisy so we didn't feel she had to sit perfectly quite. The guacamole was awesome as always.Special Features:
- Rosa MexicanobluemplsDined on 10/1/2014This is my second time to have their special Desde 1984 dinner special and food here has always been very good. Every dish is well prepared and cleanly executed. Our appetizers were freshly made, delicious and perfect with accompanying fresh salsas. Our entree was heavy, very rich and very filling but nevertheless, still very delicious. (I had the filete with mushroom cream sauce). Overall, food was very good, service is excellent and this place is a pricey $$$ even with the specials going on Recommendation: Try this place for an upscale dinner specially with the specials going on Frozen mango margaritas are very goodSpecial Features:
- Upscale Mexican food!NorskechickDined on 10/1/2014Loved it! Everything was awesome! Right from the start. Very welcoming, prompt and courteous service! The homemade guacamole was made right in front of us, delicious! Homemade salsa could not stop eating. Yum! Will definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/30/2014The service was so slow it overshadowed the fact that the food and atmosphere was good. I would not recommend going here if you are in a hurry.
- Slow to serveDaisy418Dined on 9/30/2014Great food & atmosphere. Server not attentive. Food took over half hour to arrive and server never came to table to check on us or provide status of dinner. Manager alerted us of dinner coming out just prior to it being served. Very good entrees and guacamole made at the table. Hopefully just an off night with the server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hit and MissMsMarlinDined on 9/27/2014This was my second visit to this restaurant, and there are things that are done really well (like the guacomole prepared tableside, and the tortilla soup) and not so well (the veggies in the vegetable tacos were limp, and the service was incredibly slow). We had to ask for the rice and beans for the table, as our server forgot to bring it. I doubt we will be back.Special Features:
- kaglesDined on 9/26/2014Service for drinks and appetizers served quickly but then waited forever for food and even longer for a second round of drinks. Guacamole was marvelous but the entree's were only OK. Service started out great and ended badly.
- Viva MexicoOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/15/2014For authentic Mexican food in a modern setting, Rosa Mexicano is definitely the place to be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/15/2014The food was just mediocre for high prices, but the inattentive service is what wrecked the evening. I will not be back.
- Thanks for the Guac!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/14/2014Our group of 10 had a reservation and an honest mistake was made where our table was given to a different group, so we had to be split into two separate tables. Our group was not upset - more easy breezy, go with the flow kind of people, but the restaurant proceeded to go out of their way to make us happy and they sure did. The margaritas were excellent, the food was all excellent, our server did a wonderful job as well. To make up for the mistake, they also took care of our unlimited guac for both tables - thank you! We had a wonderful time and would recommend and will be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.