Rosa Mexicano - First Avenue
1063 1st Avenue
New York, NY 10022Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $31 to $50
Rosa Mexicano - First Avenue
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.rosamexicano.com/
- Phone: 2127537407x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch (Saturday and Sunday only) : 12 pm - 4 pm
Monday 5:00 PM - 10:30 PM
Tuesday - Friday 5:00 PM - 11:30 PM
Saturday 4:00 PM - 11:30 PM
Sunday 4:00 PM - 10:30 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican, Contemporary Mexican
- Executive Chef: Ignacio Cotzomi
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We offer a full range of catering options: buffet stations, prix fixe menus, family style menus, passed hors d'ouvres, etc. We also offer off-premise catering for groups of all sizes. For Large Party Reservations, please contact Camille Karimzad at 212.835.1739 or email at email@example.com
- Private Party Facilities: We can accommodate up to 12 in our dining room for a la carte or family style dinners. We can also accommodate up to 150 for daytime events or evening buyout events. Partial room buyouts are also available. Please contact Camille Karimzad at 212.835.1739 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Private Party Contact: Camille Karimzad 2128351739x
- Entertainment: On special occasions, we frequently have guest musicians and/or mariachis present to heighten the festive atmosphere. Please contact the restaurant directly with questions.
- Special Events: HAPPY HOUR AT CANTINA BAR | DAILY, 5-7 pm
Half-price select cocktails and appetizers will make you very happy for much more than an hour.
A word from Rosa Mexicano - First Avenue
Our flagship location opened its doors on First Avenue in 1984. From the moment you arrive, old world charm permeates your dining experience through authentic Mexican colors and rustic folk art. Traditional amate gods greet you at the front entrance and brightly colored papel picado hangs from the ceiling. Corn tortillas are made on site and an exposition grill further seduces your senses. With its warm ambiance and outstanding cuisine, this Rosa Mexicano location has remained a perennial New York favorite for over 25 years.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
Rosa Mexicano - First Avenue - Best Restaurants in Midtown East ›
Rosa Mexicano - First Avenue reviews from OpenTable diners
162 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (78)fit for foodies (73)good for groups (60)special occasion (41)kid-friendly (26)romantic (25)vibrant bar scene (24)hot spot (23)great for lunch (14)late-night find (11)great for brunch (8)notable wine list (3)Show More
- So Good!AmyEVIPDined on 10/19/2014Love the table side made guacamole! And the food was great! If you like Mexican this is a great place to eat!Special Features:
- The food is great!NinounDined on 10/17/2014My must-go when I stop in NYC. Their Guacamole alone merits the visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Mexican FoodMickey11030Dined on 10/17/2014I have eaten here at least 10 times and I'm always impressed by how delicious the food is. On this last visit I thought the music was louder than I would want. The guacamole was bland even though we asked it to be on the hot side of medium.our main courses were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the go to spots!ltomnDined on 10/12/2014I find myself craving the food from this place. Not difficult to find or get into except for weekends. The food will make you smile.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would not recommendRBfoodiesDined on 10/7/2014Great service to be sure but very disappointed in the good. App was a lump crab meat offering but was sort of a samosa type thing filled with something that bore no resemblance to lump Crab meat. Chicken enchelatas smotheredole sauce Could not really taste the chicken. Maybe I didn't order right but not about to go back and try it again sorry.
- BabaBabaDined on 10/4/2014A regular place for us... Happy it's so close. Rosa's is always consistently excellent. The only ding and it's a small one is it's always crowded and the noise level can be high. Group dining is great but not for quiet conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OkCMMf65Dined on 10/3/2014The service slow the food excelent maybe is our waitersSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/1/2014Seems to be less crowded but is a favorite of my adult family and me.Special Features:
- Long-time upscale MexicanWoad2014VIPDined on 9/28/2014Rosa Mexicano First Avenue has evolved over the years into a handsome if pricey (for Mexican food) place with comfortable seating and slow but friendly and attentive service--in our case, the kitchen, not the servers, were clearly at fault--and many very good dishes. The quesadilla appetizer was excellent and the house green salad, which came with a light balsamic-lemon dressing I wasn't familiar with, so simple and good that I was surprised it isn't even on the menu. The soft pork tacos were delicious, although the 6 corn tortillas, smaller than usual, made them hard to roll. The fish, mahi-mahi grilled on a salsa bed, was dry and below par, so subtract a star there. We'll go back, but maybe when not in a mood for fish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A rose of a timeDinaDined on 9/26/2014Nice decor as you step into the restaurant. It is split in several sections. We were seated in a table for two that was quite close to other tables. But there was no one next to us, so it was fine. Good food, that is a bit more upscale that just ordinary Mexican food. Table-side guacamole must be experienced at least once!Special Features:
- Recommended by FriendsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/25/2014The restaurant service was terrific, as were the drinks. The guacamole was made right at the table and was heavenly. I could have just had that and been satisfied. My meal was good, as were the other meals at my table. I would recommend.Special Features:
- ExcellentsmileVIPDined on 9/24/2014Definitely fit for foodies. Though on the expensive side for this type of cuisine, the quality is there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently GoodprincieDined on 9/24/2014We always enjoy evenings at Rosa Mexicano. The food & service is always very good.Special Features:
- SFFoodieDined on 9/23/2014Very good reliable tex-mex and good service. The Guac is the best anywhere.
- Good Mexican foodHelloVIPDined on 9/21/2014We enjoyed celebrating the 30th anniversary of the opening of the restaurant with its delicious prix fixe menu.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Margaritas and Mexican FoodAJBDDined on 9/6/2014Enjoyed the dinner here, especially the guacamole made table-side and the Jimador Margaritas.Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/3/2014As a Mexican food enthusiast, I was looking forward to going for the first time to Rosa Mexicano. The Margaritas were excellent as was the guacamole. The enchilada main course, however, was not. This night it was mediocre at best.
- Excellent Food QualityMarcVIPDined on 9/1/2014The quality of the food here is excellent. Being from Southern California we were surprised to find this quality in Manhattan. Quality of the chicken is great. Even the short grain brown rice is unusually exceptional. Service is very good. Menu contains many interesting and unusual items. Will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This restaurant is a must try!MHK2112Dined on 8/29/2014I absolutely love this Restaurant. I have never had a bad meal here. The tableside Guacamole is always a hit. The Tequila selection is outstanding and Miguel will never steer you wrong if you ask for his selection for you. The wait staff were excellent as well. I would and have recommended this Restaurant anyone who likes Mexican food and TequilaSpecial Features:
- Nice slice of Mexicoflorida2Dined on 8/28/2014It was a very pleasant atmosphere. We were well Attended by our server. Food was great. When the waiter spilled water on my friend they were very apologetic and to rectify the situation they offered free drinks for both of us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and serviceNeighborDined on 8/25/2014The restaurant is known for its avocado dip which is made at the table and it didn't disappoint. Delicious. Always lovely ambiance and the service was excellent.Special Features:
- Still our fav!!!YummytimesDined on 8/22/2014We have been going here for years. The food remains amazing. The guac is off the charts. And you want a great margarita come here. The pomegranate margarita is the best!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced and low qualityameliacVIPDined on 8/21/2014The food was extremely over priced and no one at the table (group of 4) enjoyed their meal. Dinner, drinks and a shared guacamole for 4 came to almost $400. Will not go back
- Great GuacamoleLeomexDined on 8/20/2014The guacamole is great. Authentic, prepared at your table and great tasting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TerrificM242Dined on 8/17/2014The food was excellent and the service was outstanding. If you like margaritas, it has the most extensive and excellent tequila list I've seen in a restaurant.Special Features:
- can't beat the original!GTownBoyVIPDined on 8/16/2014Best Mexican in Manhattan but only at this location.Special Features:
- Did not meet expectations at all.Afal88Dined on 8/15/2014I've heard great things about Rosa Mexicana and they did not stand true. Everything did start out on a positive note, though. We called 30min prior to our reservation time to see if it would be possible to include a third to our party of two and they were able to accommodate us. I know these requests are often difficult and was very grateful. When seated, we were not given drink menus. We had to flag someone down for menus and it took our server a while to take our drink order. When we wanted to order food, he was nowhere to be found. We waited 45 min to order and eventually got someone's attention and he took our order. When the food came they forgot one of the ordered items. Took forever to get a check too! Would definitely not go back!
- Exceeded ExpectationJanvanDined on 8/15/2014Service could have been a tad quicker, HOWEVER, that resulted in a leisurely dining experience. Staff was very knowledgeable and helpful about the food menu and the seemingly endless tequila options. Mexican cuisine is my favorite dining choice; and there were many, many items on the menu that I had never heard of - exciting! The handmade corn tortillas are silky and smooth, the best I've ever had. I only regret that it's taken me this long to discover it despite Rosa Mexicano being in my own backyard for years now. I am already planning my next visit.Special Features:
- Overall great experienceirishboyDined on 8/9/2014Hi. Overall I found my experience and visit to this restaurant very good. The service including the reception was great as well as the atmosphere and it was easy for both of us to speak. The only criticism I would have is that it is definitely not cheap - maybe that is a Manhattan thing but it is not something I would be doing every weekend. There was no alcohol consumed and yet the bill was almost $100. In my opinion, that is quite expensive for that sort of food. Apart from that, a good experience.Special Features:
- Great date spotAdamDined on 8/8/2014Great restaurant, the guacamole is a must-have! Very good drinks. I'm a fan of the sangria.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PodoPodoDined on 8/7/2014I think that Rosa Mexicano is perfect for drinks and appetizers, but if you are going for traditional Mexican food, you will be sorely disappointed. This menu is not your typical Mexican fare, though it may be more high brow, know that it isn't your mother's tacos....
- Always enjoyedsteakloverVIPDined on 8/7/2014The very first and the best! Will miss the pork chops now off the menu... Always very good service, always very good food always enjoyed!Special Features:
- still going strongmidtownVIPDined on 8/6/2014probably amongst the first to offer other than "rice, beans and tacos," Rosa is still at it. You can not beat the table side guacamole and the margaritas.Special Features:
- Lovely eveningUGM2AEWDined on 8/4/2014Great meal with lovely cocktails - good alternative to traditional fajitas etcSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- princieDined on 8/3/2014The food, drinks and service is always consistly great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatPrincessPalateDined on 7/26/2014The table guacamole is a must. So delicious. A little close to other tables and other people dining. Frozen margaritas were very good. Overall great experience, loved the way they decorated the outside and inside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/24/2014service was sooooooooooooooooo slow. dining shouldn't take 3 hours. disappointed.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsOpinionatorVIPDined on 7/23/2014A festive restaurant with creative Mexican food. Waitstaff aim to accommodate. Great Margaritas too!LinSpecial Features:
- MediocreiliketoeatDined on 7/23/2014Very disappointed in the quality of the food. Although the service was very good and the waiters attentive, the entrées selected were bland and did not look appetizing.Special Features:
- On top of it's gameRockyroadVIPDined on 7/20/2014Still a top rated mexican restaurant where the food is outstanding. They have made changes to their menu recently and it has paid off.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.