Rosa Mexicano - First Avenue
1063 1st Avenue
New York, NY 10022Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $31 to $50
Rosa Mexicano - First Avenue
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.rosamexicano.com/
- Phone: 2127537407x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch (Saturday and Sunday only) : 12 pm - 4 pm
Monday 5:00 PM - 10:30 PM
Tuesday - Friday 5:00 PM - 11:30 PM
Saturday 4:00 PM - 11:30 PM
Sunday 4:00 PM - 10:30 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican, Contemporary Mexican
- Executive Chef: Ignacio Cotzomi
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We offer a full range of catering options: buffet stations, prix fixe menus, family style menus, passed hors d'ouvres, etc. We also offer off-premise catering for groups of all sizes. For Large Party Reservations, please contact Amira Gertz at 212.397.0666 x40 or email at email@example.com
- Private Party Facilities: We can accommodate up to 12 in our dining room for a la carte or family style dinners. We can also accommodate up to 150 for daytime events or evening buyout events. Partial room buyouts are also available. Please contact Amira Gertz at 212.397.0666 ext. 29 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Private Party Contact: Amira Gertz 2123970666x29
- Entertainment: On special occasions, we frequently have guest musicians and/or mariachis present to heighten the festive atmosphere. Please contact the restaurant directly with questions.
- Special Events: HAPPY HOUR AT CANTINA BAR | DAILY, 5-7 pm
Half-price select cocktails and appetizers will make you very happy for much more than an hour.
FESTIVAL DE HELADOS | JULY 31-AUG 24
Desserts inspired by classic savory dishes such as guacamole, tamales and empanadas, and paired with handmade ice creams and sorbets infused with Mexican flavors ranging from prickly pear to chili-spiced chocolate.
A word from Rosa Mexicano - First Avenue
Our flagship location opened its doors on First Avenue in 1984. From the moment you arrive, old world charm permeates your dining experience through authentic Mexican colors and rustic folk art. Traditional amate gods greet you at the front entrance and brightly colored papel picado hangs from the ceiling. Corn tortillas are made on site and an exposition grill further seduces your senses. With its warm ambiance and outstanding cuisine, this Rosa Mexicano location has remained a perennial New York favorite for over 25 years.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
Rosa Mexicano - First Avenue - Best Restaurants in Midtown East ›
Rosa Mexicano - First Avenue reviews from OpenTable diners
146 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (68)neighborhood gem (62)good for groups (53)special occasion (41)romantic (26)hot spot (22)vibrant bar scene (22)kid-friendly (22)great for lunch (10)late-night find (9)great for brunch (7)notable wine list (4)Show More
- Great Margaritas and Mexican FoodAJBDDined on 9/6/2014Enjoyed the dinner here, especially the guacamole made table-side and the Jimador Margaritas.Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/3/2014As a Mexican food enthusiast, I was looking forward to going for the first time to Rosa Mexicano. The Margaritas were excellent as was the guacamole. The enchilada main course, however, was not. This night it was mediocre at best.
- Excellent Food QualityMarcVIPDined on 9/1/2014The quality of the food here is excellent. Being from Southern California we were surprised to find this quality in Manhattan. Quality of the chicken is great. Even the short grain brown rice is unusually exceptional. Service is very good. Menu contains many interesting and unusual items. Will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This restaurant is a must try!MHK2112Dined on 8/29/2014I absolutely love this Restaurant. I have never had a bad meal here. The tableside Guacamole is always a hit. The Tequila selection is outstanding and Miguel will never steer you wrong if you ask for his selection for you. The wait staff were excellent as well. I would and have recommended this Restaurant anyone who likes Mexican food and TequilaSpecial Features:
- Nice slice of Mexicoflorida2Dined on 8/28/2014It was a very pleasant atmosphere. We were well Attended by our server. Food was great. When the waiter spilled water on my friend they were very apologetic and to rectify the situation they offered free drinks for both of us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and serviceNeighborDined on 8/25/2014The restaurant is known for its avocado dip which is made at the table and it didn't disappoint. Delicious. Always lovely ambiance and the service was excellent.Special Features:
- Still our fav!!!YummytimesDined on 8/22/2014We have been going here for years. The food remains amazing. The guac is off the charts. And you want a great margarita come here. The pomegranate margarita is the best!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced and low qualityameliacDined on 8/21/2014The food was extremely over priced and no one at the table (group of 4) enjoyed their meal. Dinner, drinks and a shared guacamole for 4 came to almost $400. Will not go back
- Great GuacamoleLeomexDined on 8/20/2014The guacamole is great. Authentic, prepared at your table and great tasting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TerrificM242Dined on 8/17/2014The food was excellent and the service was outstanding. If you like margaritas, it has the most extensive and excellent tequila list I've seen in a restaurant.Special Features:
- can't beat the original!GTownBoyVIPDined on 8/16/2014Best Mexican in Manhattan but only at this location.Special Features:
- Did not meet expectations at all.Afal88Dined on 8/15/2014I've heard great things about Rosa Mexicana and they did not stand true. Everything did start out on a positive note, though. We called 30min prior to our reservation time to see if it would be possible to include a third to our party of two and they were able to accommodate us. I know these requests are often difficult and was very grateful. When seated, we were not given drink menus. We had to flag someone down for menus and it took our server a while to take our drink order. When we wanted to order food, he was nowhere to be found. We waited 45 min to order and eventually got someone's attention and he took our order. When the food came they forgot one of the ordered items. Took forever to get a check too! Would definitely not go back!
- Exceeded ExpectationJanvanDined on 8/15/2014Service could have been a tad quicker, HOWEVER, that resulted in a leisurely dining experience. Staff was very knowledgeable and helpful about the food menu and the seemingly endless tequila options. Mexican cuisine is my favorite dining choice; and there were many, many items on the menu that I had never heard of - exciting! The handmade corn tortillas are silky and smooth, the best I've ever had. I only regret that it's taken me this long to discover it despite Rosa Mexicano being in my own backyard for years now. I am already planning my next visit.Special Features:
- Overall great experienceirishboyDined on 8/9/2014Hi. Overall I found my experience and visit to this restaurant very good. The service including the reception was great as well as the atmosphere and it was easy for both of us to speak. The only criticism I would have is that it is definitely not cheap - maybe that is a Manhattan thing but it is not something I would be doing every weekend. There was no alcohol consumed and yet the bill was almost $100. In my opinion, that is quite expensive for that sort of food. Apart from that, a good experience.Special Features:
- Great date spotAdamDined on 8/8/2014Great restaurant, the guacamole is a must-have! Very good drinks. I'm a fan of the sangria.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PodoPodoDined on 8/7/2014I think that Rosa Mexicano is perfect for drinks and appetizers, but if you are going for traditional Mexican food, you will be sorely disappointed. This menu is not your typical Mexican fare, though it may be more high brow, know that it isn't your mother's tacos....
- Always enjoyedsteakloverVIPDined on 8/7/2014The very first and the best! Will miss the pork chops now off the menu... Always very good service, always very good food always enjoyed!Special Features:
- still going strongmidtownVIPDined on 8/6/2014probably amongst the first to offer other than "rice, beans and tacos," Rosa is still at it. You can not beat the table side guacamole and the margaritas.Special Features:
- Lovely eveningUGM2AEWDined on 8/4/2014Great meal with lovely cocktails - good alternative to traditional fajitas etcSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- princieDined on 8/3/2014The food, drinks and service is always consistly great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatPrincessPalateDined on 7/26/2014The table guacamole is a must. So delicious. A little close to other tables and other people dining. Frozen margaritas were very good. Overall great experience, loved the way they decorated the outside and inside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/24/2014service was sooooooooooooooooo slow. dining shouldn't take 3 hours. disappointed.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsOpinionatorVIPDined on 7/23/2014A festive restaurant with creative Mexican food. Waitstaff aim to accommodate. Great Margaritas too!LinSpecial Features:
- MediocreiliketoeatDined on 7/23/2014Very disappointed in the quality of the food. Although the service was very good and the waiters attentive, the entrées selected were bland and did not look appetizing.Special Features:
- On top of it's gameRockyroadVIPDined on 7/20/2014Still a top rated mexican restaurant where the food is outstanding. They have made changes to their menu recently and it has paid off.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible serviceRemarkVIPDined on 7/18/2014We booked a table for two on Friday night. Took a while for the waiter to come over for our drink order. We finished our drinks then had to flag him down to order our meal. Meal arrived waiter never checked in to see how everything was. Finished eating had to wave down waiter again to get check.
- Wonderful Mexican FoodHelloVIPDined on 7/12/2014We truly enjoyed our meal. As usual, the guacamole was excellent and the salmon was cooked to perfection.
- Filete con Hongas & Crepas CamaroneJamesVIPDined on 7/12/2014Been here hundreds of times over last 25+ years, since the Josephina days. My family & friends all love the place. We all agree that our favorite dishes are the Filete con Hongas & Crepas Camarones. The filet mignon is my favorite steak anywhere -- I won't buy steak anywhere else. The Crepas Camarones are very typical mexican as my sister who lived in Mexico for years can attest to. Both of these dishes you will not find elsewhere. We love the ambiance, but do miss sorely the old pink table clothes. And for all the hundreds of visits, the service has always been very pleasant and overall perfectSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is no TexMex!ArtiDined on 7/12/2014Good authentic Mexican food! This is not TexMex. I not pricey for Mexican food--but well worth it. I would highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food, wonderful service!dmtrDined on 7/10/2014My husband and I went to Rosa Mexicano for the first time in a while. Started with the guacamole--always delicious! He had a lamb dish cooked in parchment - it was so tender it fell off the bone! I had chicken tortilla pie - also delicious. We ended our meal with churros and a signature mango cup with coconut ice cream (very refreshing!) The service is attentive; not overbearing. It was a great night out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always ConsistentGLLEDined on 6/30/2014The food is always good and the service excellent. They don't disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed ReviewMeliskiDined on 6/27/2014The guacamole and the margaritas were outstanding! I would go back and recommend others go just for these two menu items. The tortilla soup was pretty good to. That's where it ends... Server forgot our appetizer, fish tacos and shrimp tacos were barely edible, children's menu quesadillas were awful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SamanthaSamanthaDined on 6/26/2014Rosa Mexicano is a great neighborhood restaurant. The food is delicious, margarita choices are great, service is excellent. What else do you need?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favoritesTimoDined on 6/21/2014A place with fond memories for our family, we return for amazing meals whenever we get a chance. The specialty taco tasting menu was fun. The fillette taco was a delicious starter option. The pomegrante margaritas are delicious and certainly pack a powerful punch. The server was patient, informative and attentive. Thanks again for a great meal!Special Features:
- Love the 1st ave locationOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/19/2014We had such a lovely meal on Thursday that we tried to go to the union square location today - for me, they are not even in the same class. Mistake on my part.
- A bit too expensivebassish101VIPDined on 6/14/2014The menu is quite pricey, and while the food is good, the prices don't match the quality of the food.Special Features:
- Delicious unique MexicanChristineDined on 6/14/2014Had not been to this restaurant in over 20 years but had good memories so decided to take my family for a birthday celebration. The food was delicious starting with the guacamole which is made table side. The service was super and our waiter was friendly and efficient. My only complaint was that my red snapper did not come with any vegetables. For the price I think it should have come with some nice sides. Otherwise we enjoyed a very nice meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experiencehighnotemanDined on 6/14/2014Recently dined at Rosa Mexicano with friends who were visiting from St. Louis...food was good, service excellent and overall had a very nice dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect authentic MexicanNYCgirlDined on 6/14/2014My husband and I been going to Rosa's since it opened. Terrific from the moment we were seated. Pomegranate margaritas a o tasty. Guacamole the best. All entrees, especially Queso F delicious, as were enchilladas and salmon. NOT Tex-Mex. a gem on the UES.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- deliciousVIPDined on 6/13/2014best shortribs and guacamole service atmosphere tops