Rosa Mexicano - First Avenue
1063 1st Avenue
New York, NY 10022Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $31 to $50
Rosa Mexicano - First Avenue
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.rosamexicano.com/
- Phone: (212) 753-7407
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch (Saturday and Sunday only) : 12 pm - 4 pm
Monday 5:00 PM - 10:30 PM
Tuesday - Friday 5:00 PM - 11:30 PM
Saturday 4:00 PM - 11:30 PM
Sunday 4:00 PM - 10:30 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican, Contemporary Mexican
- Executive Chef: Ignacio Cotzomi
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We offer a full range of catering options: buffet stations, prix fixe menus, family style menus, passed hors d'ouvres, etc. We also offer off-premise catering for groups of all sizes. For Large Party Reservations, please contact Camille Karimzad at 212.835.1739 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Private Party Facilities: We can accommodate up to 12 in our dining room for a la carte or family style dinners. We can also accommodate up to 150 for daytime events or evening buyout events. Partial room buyouts are also available. Please contact Camille Karimzad at 212.835.1739 or email at email@example.com.
- Private Party Contact: Camille Karimzad 2128351739x
- Entertainment: On special occasions, we frequently have guest musicians and/or mariachis present to heighten the festive atmosphere. Please contact the restaurant directly with questions.
- Special Events: HAPPY HOUR AT CANTINA BAR | DAILY, 5-7 pm
Half-price select cocktails and appetizers will make you very happy for much more than an hour.
A word from Rosa Mexicano - First Avenue
Our flagship location opened its doors on First Avenue in 1984. From the moment you arrive, old world charm permeates your dining experience through authentic Mexican colors and rustic folk art. Traditional amate gods greet you at the front entrance and brightly colored papel picado hangs from the ceiling. Corn tortillas are made on site and an exposition grill further seduces your senses. With its warm ambiance and outstanding cuisine, this Rosa Mexicano location has remained a perennial New York favorite for over 25 years.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
Rosa Mexicano - First Avenue - Best Restaurants in Midtown East ›
Rosa Mexicano - First Avenue reviews from OpenTable diners
175 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (82)fit for foodies (74)good for groups (65)special occasion (41)romantic (29)kid-friendly (26)hot spot (26)vibrant bar scene (25)great for lunch (17)late-night find (13)great for brunch (11)notable wine list (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Rosa MexicanaMrCriticalDined on 11/19/2014Mexico City style, consistently good food, the best guacamole in New York, professional wait staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food and service was spectacular!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/19/2014The food and service was spectacular! I will definitely recommend to family and friends. The ambiance was just perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- funAbandonedVIPDined on 11/18/2014Staff made our birthday celebration so special....thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Mexican restaurant in townTarak3Dined on 11/18/2014All the Rosa Mexicano's are wonderful. Consistently great service, BEST guacamole ever made fresh at your table, and delicious food. Would recommend the tres enchiladas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This WAS my fav place.DrmrosenDined on 11/14/2014This WAS my fav place but the dinner menu has changed. Very disappointing. I will NOT return. Service was great.
- Viva MexicoOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/13/2014Great restaurants that accommodates vegetarians with unbelievable service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum Yum Double YumcjallonDined on 11/11/2014Ah, Rosa Mexicano - I love their food, their service and the prices! I have eaten in the Lincoln Center location (which was amazing) and for the first time, the location on First Avenue. The restaurant is smaller but the service was impeccable, the wait staff attentive, warm and welcoming (the reception/hostesses were terrific) and the Chef came out with our desserts and served them with a flourish. Great Guac (we had two servings) and presentation. The four of us shared a bottle of sparkling water, four appetizers, two desserts and the bill came to $77. It's not that we couldn't afford an entrée, it's just that we were so deliciously full from the appetizers we could barely finish our dessert (but we managed to do so anyway).Special Features:
- DisappointingJohnLDined on 11/10/2014This is a restaurant that we go to occasionally but for some reason the food, this time, was not up to par. In fact, it was disappointing! To be fair, the guacamole was very good. It should be! My entree was pleasant but the grilled shrimp were dry (cooked too long) and not what I was expecting. My guest ordered the Trio of Enchiladas and that was worse. They were tough and had about a spoonful of food in their contents and "no cheese". It would have tasted better if there was cheese and were filled. The prices are high and the food is not expensive but could they spare the stuffing? Anyway, it was a Monday and we're forgiving souls so we'll try again. Hopefully we won't be disappointed as this place is a favorite of ours.Special Features:
- EdDeeblesDined on 11/8/2014This establishment has lost its commitment. Looks more run down, food not good, drinks not good and service was cranky, rushed and visibly annoyed. Plus spicy guac not even hot, yikes!
- AverageGraetfoodmovesmeDined on 11/8/2014Good atmosphere and service, but average Mexican food. Unfortunately, we would not return unless we just wanted fresh guacamole, since we don't drink alcohol, the food, not the famous sangria, matter most to us.Special Features:
- Living on past laurelscareaboutfoodDined on 11/8/2014Have been going here since the 1980's.This was the restaurant I took friends from abroad to, to show them what Mexican food could be. Now, in response to an ignorant clientele, it has basically rid itself of its old menu and serves tasteless boring food with no depth and no interest. The margaritas are still good, which, given the level of knowledge of the customers, will allow Rosa Mexicano to do fine-economically if not culinarily.
- Great Night, Great FoodLifeisgood19Dined on 11/7/2014We will definitely be back and invite friends along. Food was very good. We highly recommend the guacamole. The whole table enjoyed it. You won't be disappointed..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Guacamole!Barbara166Dined on 11/6/2014Maybe everyone can make great fresh guacamole table-side these days but our guacamole on Thursday night was better than usual. Expertly done by a practiced hand who is happy to add extra coriander or whatever might be your preference. He also showed us how to gently fold in a few tomatoes at the end so they don't turn to tomato juice. Delicious!
- Consistently GoodprincieDined on 11/2/2014The food & service is always consistent & very good.Special Features:
- very good restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/26/2014is the best Mexican restaurant in New York City. the guacamole delicious. las tablas also awesome .the bartender Kenny it very professional and prepare delicious margaritas.Special Features:
- Still goingmidtownVIPDined on 10/25/2014Strong after all these years. In my humble opinion the guacamole made table side is still the best in New York.Special Features:
- So Good!AmyEVIPDined on 10/19/2014Love the table side made guacamole! And the food was great! If you like Mexican this is a great place to eat!Special Features:
- The food is great!NinounDined on 10/17/2014My must-go when I stop in NYC. Their Guacamole alone merits the visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Mexican FoodMickey11030Dined on 10/17/2014I have eaten here at least 10 times and I'm always impressed by how delicious the food is. On this last visit I thought the music was louder than I would want. The guacamole was bland even though we asked it to be on the hot side of medium.our main courses were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the go to spots!ltomnDined on 10/12/2014I find myself craving the food from this place. Not difficult to find or get into except for weekends. The food will make you smile.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would not recommendRBfoodiesDined on 10/7/2014Great service to be sure but very disappointed in the good. App was a lump crab meat offering but was sort of a samosa type thing filled with something that bore no resemblance to lump Crab meat. Chicken enchelatas smotheredole sauce Could not really taste the chicken. Maybe I didn't order right but not about to go back and try it again sorry.
- BabaBabaDined on 10/4/2014A regular place for us... Happy it's so close. Rosa's is always consistently excellent. The only ding and it's a small one is it's always crowded and the noise level can be high. Group dining is great but not for quiet conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OkCMMf65Dined on 10/3/2014The service slow the food excelent maybe is our waitersSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/1/2014Seems to be less crowded but is a favorite of my adult family and me.Special Features:
- Long-time upscale MexicanWoad2014VIPDined on 9/28/2014Rosa Mexicano First Avenue has evolved over the years into a handsome if pricey (for Mexican food) place with comfortable seating and slow but friendly and attentive service--in our case, the kitchen, not the servers, were clearly at fault--and many very good dishes. The quesadilla appetizer was excellent and the house green salad, which came with a light balsamic-lemon dressing I wasn't familiar with, so simple and good that I was surprised it isn't even on the menu. The soft pork tacos were delicious, although the 6 corn tortillas, smaller than usual, made them hard to roll. The fish, mahi-mahi grilled on a salsa bed, was dry and below par, so subtract a star there. We'll go back, but maybe when not in a mood for fish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A rose of a timeDinaDined on 9/26/2014Nice decor as you step into the restaurant. It is split in several sections. We were seated in a table for two that was quite close to other tables. But there was no one next to us, so it was fine. Good food, that is a bit more upscale that just ordinary Mexican food. Table-side guacamole must be experienced at least once!Special Features:
- Recommended by FriendsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/25/2014The restaurant service was terrific, as were the drinks. The guacamole was made right at the table and was heavenly. I could have just had that and been satisfied. My meal was good, as were the other meals at my table. I would recommend.Special Features:
- ExcellentsmileVIPDined on 9/24/2014Definitely fit for foodies. Though on the expensive side for this type of cuisine, the quality is there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently GoodprincieDined on 9/24/2014We always enjoy evenings at Rosa Mexicano. The food & service is always very good.Special Features:
- SFFoodieDined on 9/23/2014Very good reliable tex-mex and good service. The Guac is the best anywhere.
- Good Mexican foodHelloVIPDined on 9/21/2014We enjoyed celebrating the 30th anniversary of the opening of the restaurant with its delicious prix fixe menu.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Margaritas and Mexican FoodAJBDDined on 9/6/2014Enjoyed the dinner here, especially the guacamole made table-side and the Jimador Margaritas.Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/3/2014As a Mexican food enthusiast, I was looking forward to going for the first time to Rosa Mexicano. The Margaritas were excellent as was the guacamole. The enchilada main course, however, was not. This night it was mediocre at best.
- Excellent Food QualityMarcVIPDined on 9/1/2014The quality of the food here is excellent. Being from Southern California we were surprised to find this quality in Manhattan. Quality of the chicken is great. Even the short grain brown rice is unusually exceptional. Service is very good. Menu contains many interesting and unusual items. Will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This restaurant is a must try!MHK2112Dined on 8/29/2014I absolutely love this Restaurant. I have never had a bad meal here. The tableside Guacamole is always a hit. The Tequila selection is outstanding and Miguel will never steer you wrong if you ask for his selection for you. The wait staff were excellent as well. I would and have recommended this Restaurant anyone who likes Mexican food and TequilaSpecial Features:
- Nice slice of Mexicoflorida2Dined on 8/28/2014It was a very pleasant atmosphere. We were well Attended by our server. Food was great. When the waiter spilled water on my friend they were very apologetic and to rectify the situation they offered free drinks for both of us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and serviceNeighborDined on 8/25/2014The restaurant is known for its avocado dip which is made at the table and it didn't disappoint. Delicious. Always lovely ambiance and the service was excellent.Special Features:
- Still our fav!!!YummytimesDined on 8/22/2014We have been going here for years. The food remains amazing. The guac is off the charts. And you want a great margarita come here. The pomegranate margarita is the best!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced and low qualityameliacVIPDined on 8/21/2014The food was extremely over priced and no one at the table (group of 4) enjoyed their meal. Dinner, drinks and a shared guacamole for 4 came to almost $400. Will not go back
- Great GuacamoleLeomexDined on 8/20/2014The guacamole is great. Authentic, prepared at your table and great tasting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.