Rosa Mexicano - Chevy Chase
5225 Wisconsin Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20015Neighborhood:
Chevy Chase, DC
MexicanPrice: $31 to $50
Rosa Mexicano - Chevy Chase
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.rosamexicano.com/
- Phone: (202) 777-9959
- Hours of Operation:
Friday & Saturday 11:30-11:30
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Executive Chef: Victor Cruz Flores
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Regardless of your party size, Rosa Mexicano is the perfect venue to offer your guests a creative, upscale experience that few restaurants can match. We offer a full range of catering options: buffet stations, pre fixe menus, family style menus, passed hors d'oeuvres, etc. We also offer off-premise catering for groups of all sizes. For Large Party Reservations, please contact Kaye Newsome at 202.777.9959 or email at email@example.com
- Private Party Facilities: Our family style parties accommodate 10-20 guests in the main dining room. We have a private room for sit-down dinners or cocktail receptions. The restaurant is also available for buyouts. We offer off-site catering for parties of any size.
- Private Party Contact: Kaye Newsome 2027779959x
- Entertainment: On special occasions, we have guest musicians and/or mariachis present to heighten the festive atmosphere. Please contact the restaurant directly with questions.
- Special Events: HAPPY HOUR AT CANTINA BAR | DAILY, 4-7 pm
Half-price select cocktails and appetizers will make you very happy for much more than an hour.
KIDS EAT FREE | SUN - THURS (Dinner Only)
Enjoy a complimentary kids meal with the purchase of
any adult entrée*.
*Limit 2 kids per adult. Kids 10 yrs & Under
- Cross Street: Ingomar St NW
- Public Transit: Red Line - Friendship Heights.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Rosa Mexicano provides discounted parking for our valued guests in the Colonial Parking Garage on Jenifer Street.
Before 5pm - $6 with validation
After 5pm - $4 with validation
The Garage is open till 10pm Sun-Thurs and 12am on Friday and Saturday.
A word from Rosa Mexicano - Chevy Chase
In 1984, Rosa Mexicano set a new standard for Mexican cuisine when it first opened in New York City. Playing a leading role in defining what was then a "new" cuisine to American diners, Rosa Mexicano delivers authentic Mexican cooking in an accessible, stylishly festive atmosphere. Rosa Mexicano's menu features a range of award-winning signature dishes, including our Guacamole en Molcajete, in a traditional lava rock mortar. Described by Time Out New York as "green ecstasy in a stone bowl," it is prepared table side and served with house made chips, warm corn tortillas and condiment salsas. Rosa Mexicano is also known for the Frozen Pomegranate Margarita, as well as the modern and festive ambiance.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
Rosa Mexicano - Chevy Chase - Best Restaurants in Chevy Chase, DC ›
Rosa Mexicano - Chevy Chase reviews from OpenTable diners
75 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (25)fit for foodies (23)neighborhood gem (23)special occasion (15)great for outdoor dining (13)kid-friendly (12)great for lunch (11)romantic (6)hot spot (4)vibrant bar scene (4)great for brunch (2)late-night find (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Very nice evening outGreyPouponDined on 1/25/2014This was our first visit to the Chevy Chase Rosa Mexicano. The four of us (2 adults, 2 children) had a wonderful dinner on a recent Saturday evening. The service was great and the kids found many options on the menu to chose from. They especially enjoyed our guac appetizer made fresh at our table. All 4 entrees were excellent. BUT don't forget the guac!!! This isn't your typical Mexican restaurant. The service, food, cocktails, ambiance were all very special and more typical of what you'd find in many of the nice DC restaurants.
- Love this place!ShannonDined on 1/24/2014This place is absolutely perfect! It is a MUST to get the guacamole and the Mexican doughnuts. Everything else is amazing too, including the margaritas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trying to Pass for Quality MexicanFoodwonkVIPDined on 1/18/2014Rosa Mexicana has deteriorated. We went for restaurant week. The guacamole was shameful - no lime, little cilantro. Just mashed avocado. The sopa de tortilla a greasy bowl of chile flavored broth with scant tortilla trim. Fish a la verucruzan without olives? What's up? This was supposed to be a chain that boasted Mexican chefs. It is now a far cry from anything that ever saw the light of day in Mexico City!
- Busy Night Equals Poor DiningmddinerVIPDined on 1/18/2014It was a busy Saturday night, but the restaurant should be able to handle it. Very slow in taking drink orders, serving starters, and brining entrees. Took forever for guacamole to be made table-side. The tortilla soup was tasty but not hot. My grilled fish was very small and just OK. My friend hardly tasted duck in her duck tacos. A restaurant that clearly caters to groups should have been able to handle our table of 6 much better than it did.
- Wonderful DiningCarlaDined on 1/18/2014We brought my 91 year old mother to this restaurant in her wheel chair. Everyone was so helpful. It was truly like a vacation. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meh...BorincanoVIPDined on 1/17/2014The food's good, the menu's good, the restaurant is lovely. It's just too expensive for what you get.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too loudmiketDined on 1/17/2014Mariachi band very loud and drowned out any table conversationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious meat dishes21vekaVIPDined on 1/12/2014Well located neighborhood restaurant, even though part of a chain. Nice contemporary ambience, comfortable and spacious seating. Tasty food, especially the meat dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Same great foodtjermVIPDined on 1/11/2014We love coming knowing we will get great service and an excellent meal. Looking forward to the upcoming menu changes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food made it okay...HatterbakeVIPDined on 1/11/2014The food was excellent but the service was lacking. I literally had to harass the bartender go track down the hose as a line formed to be seated. Then the waiter was a little pushy. Food was excellent though.Special Features:
- Very good!LauraVIPDined on 1/11/2014Service was good, food was good..we even got a free dessert! The churros were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs spiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/8/2014. Service was very good. Food and margaritas were a little bland. Surprisingly, the desserts were the best course.
- Good food. Service a bit slow.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/5/2014The food was excellent, but the service was a bit slow, considering we were thereon a Sunday evening when the restaurentwas not all that crowded.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner was very unremarkablemariaDined on 1/3/2014We were very disappointed in our meal - very bland and not that interesting-- not what we expected from a higher end Mexican restaurant with those prices. My boys ordered adult meals and were still hungry when we left. Kind of ridiculous when our family of 4 had 1 appetizer, 4 dinners , 1 beer, 1 margarita and 1 soda and the bill came to $125. Our server was nice but pushy with the overpriced drinks. I had taken 2 drinks from my margarita and he asked if he could get me another one. The guacamole was the only thing that saved the night .
- strangely bad serviceAmandaDined on 1/3/2014The service was bizarrely bad. Multiple times, the waiter brought the wrong thing, and did not offer sufficient information about certain dishes. For example, the kids' quesadilla was offered on either flour or corn tortillas but he did not offer a choice, and brought corn tortillas, which my daughter did not like. He also mixed up our drinks, brought out beans which I said I couldn't eat and brought the wrong flavor of ice cream. He was nice about fixing things, but it just didn't seem normal that he made four different food errors in one meal. The food was reasonably good. The mariachi band was OK, but a little loud.
- New Year FunBetsymomVIPDined on 12/31/2013Enjoyed spending a late evening here. The food was quite good but rather overpriced for what it was. Crab enchiladas and chile rellenos were very tasty. Margaritas were small and not very alcoholic. Lot going on to celebrate the new year, like dancing, conga lines and catchy music.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Years EveGalsVIPDined on 12/31/2013Enjoyed the great New Years Eve party. Noise level, while not quiet, was clearly adequate and lively for the special event incl. DJ and dance floor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Guac in TownNickNDined on 12/31/2013Guac made tableside to order. Big chunks of avocado with the right amount of pico de gallo and kick. This is a great way to start a meal. The rib eye is tender but a little more fatty than I would have liked. The Carne Asada Skillet is the choice to make at this spot. Make sure to leave a little room for their churros.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing food and servicetjermVIPDined on 12/28/2013The wait staff worked together during our lunch providing an exceptional dining experience. It was a pleasure meeting Mario the manager who I have corresponded with previously. We are looking forward to the menu changes next month!! Keep up the good work CC Rosa Mexicano.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Quality Mexican FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/26/2013This restaurant has much better quality Mexican food than your typical fast food chain (Taco Bell, etc) . Food is well prepared and well presented. They have a guacamole cart where they make the guacamole in front of you, at your own taste: you choose the ingredients/spices, etc. They also serve international food, good fish etc. It's for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Poor service can ruin an eveningHatgirlDined on 12/23/2013Table side Guac was delicious but was the only thing that we enjoyed. It was not a busy night but we felt completely forgotten by our waiter. He forgot to put the order in for our second appetizer, drinks tasted so so at best and the meal took forever to arrive. I regretted bringing an out of town guest there and we will not go there againSpecial Features:
- Great food, not so great tablemysterydinerDined on 12/21/2013When we first arrived we were seated at a table by the front door and it was loud and cold. We asked to move and were given a new table, though somewhat frostily. But then the food arrived and all was forgiven. The guacamole that is prepared at the table is not to be missed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overrated and Over PricedChrisDined on 12/14/2013Visited for the 1st time with my wife and another couple. Started with drinks, which were very small, and $11-$13 each. We got the guacamole, which is a signature menu item they prepare table-side. We asked for the $18+ version that is supposed to feed 4-6 people. The guacamole was decent, but not nearly enough, and way over priced for the experience. Also got Margaritas, which are definitely not worth it. Smallest margarita glass I have ever seen, and expensive. My wife ordered a shrimp dish that apparently has two habenero peppers on it. The server said she was supposed to be told about the peppers when the dish was served. She wasn't told. Ruined the meal, and her night. Server was rude at times. Huge miss on this one.
- Fun Place for Dine w/FriendsOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/13/2013Eight of us wanted to get together for a holiday lunch. This was a great spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty much perfect.RevfreshDined on 11/28/2013We took a large group for thanksgiving. The food and service were fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yummytjermVIPDined on 11/24/2013Yummy food and excellent service. We were hesitant returning to this location as the previous service wasn't upto par but this trip was fabulous!! Thank you for taking such great care of us!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We'll be back!JEK6Dined on 11/21/2013First time visitors. Had heard about the guacamole 'made-at-your-table', and finally had the experience. It was EXCELLENT! This restaurant is in a great location: lots of shopping, movies, METRO-accessible, etc. Great $5.00 'Happy Hour' specials including a PITCHER of Sangria! Service was outstanding. Food was delicious (e.g. fish tacos). Can't wait to return!!!Special Features:
- Relaxed, upscale Mexican restaurantJFMMDDined on 11/17/2013This beautiful restaurant is one of a smallish chain of Mexican restaurants that offer typical Mexican tortilla dishes as well as fish and meat main courses. Their signature dish is guacamole made at table side in a lava mortar and pestle; it was wonderful either with chips or soft tortillas. Sangria was unremarkable but refreshing. Indifferent crab empanadas (3 per serving) were shared as appetizers as were a tastier collection of 3 different forms of seafood ceviche. The four of us enjoyed beef enchiladas with mole (chocolate) sauce, cheese enchiladas, but the most enjoyable (and most expensive) of the meals was the "Alambre a la Mexicana," tender, flavorful filet steak morsels interspersed with veggies, as if cooked on a skewer.I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful birthday dinnerNAK1VIPDined on 11/9/2013A wonderful time and great meal. Four of us celebrated my son's 19th birthday and it couldn't have been better. The waiters and service was fantastic and contributed to a relaxed, very enjoyable evening. Their home made guacamole was perfect and the person making the guacamole at our table was so nice explaining the recipe. The food was great and served in good time and was delicious. Everyone throughly enjoyed their meal. They even surprised our son with a nice desert. Al in all a great evening. We're looking forward to our next visit.Special Features:
- Hidden CostsBobLVIPDined on 11/9/2013Recently had dinner there, probably 3rd visit. We arrived a 5:45 on a Saturday, so it was still quiet. Seated and waited on promptly. Ordered the Guac..., I thought over-rated. Dinner was good, not great. Then the waiter disappeared. Had to ask the wandering managers for coffee and our check...then to take our money! Most annoying was the cost of the drinks. The menu lists many Margueritas with premium tequilas and special "martinis" for 11. I ordered the old fashioned Tanqueray martini...very small (maybe 2 1/2 - 3 ozx, for $11.50. The wine was not cheap either, but at least prices were evident. The 700-800% markup for liquor (some or all?) is a real deal killer for me. Particularly when everything else is average or worse.
- Vegan issues, guacamole greatVeganDined on 11/9/2013My biggest complaint is that I called ahead & asked if there were any vegan items. The manager assured me their vegetable tacos were totally vegan. When they came, they had sauces that had mayo & cheese in them. The waiter exchanged for plain bean spread. But I was disappointed manager wasn't more knowledgeable. The best part of the meal was the guacamole that they make in front of you - especially since I usually don't like avocado, but it was so fresh, it was delicious. The tacos were pretty good, tho a bit bland. My husband thought his meal was so-so. I ordered a sangria, was a bit disappointed in that, too. The waiter worked very hard to be attentive. It was a bit hard to understand his accent w/the ambient noise. Prices high.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Whole Enchilada!Liv2EatDined on 10/19/2013We were a party of six and four of us decided to have the enchiladas - wow, were they outstanding. The fish tacos were also excellent; the corn esquites served on the plate was a delicious accompaniment to the tacos. A couple of us started with the "Sopa de Tortilla" and that, too, was just plain great! We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Fun!TjohnsonDined on 10/18/2013My wife and I went last Friday for my birthday. Very considerate staff, fun atmosphere, and delicious food. I'm not a guacamole fan, but I really enjoyed their fresh recipe..that's mixed up right in front of you table side. The decor is very cool and unique, without being at all pretentious. It had a rare mix and flexibility, in that one could certainly dress up or come in smart casual. Our waiter Russ was phenomenal. Very nice guy, offered great suggestions, and was around enough for drink refills but certainly not hovering over. Highly recommend the pork shank! The best Mexican dish I've had since actually traveling to Mexico years ago. A great group of mariachis on Fridays too! A shot of tequila in my b'day cake to top it all off!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mediocreYulisDined on 10/13/2013The food used to be very good, for a couple of times. The restaurant should change or add other meals to the menu.
- Excellent, friendly and tasty!NicoleEVIPDined on 10/13/2013We had a lovely time. The food was excellent per usual, the staff was five star and friendly. We are looking forward to returning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DATE NIGHT!LDPARRISH12Dined on 10/5/2013TOOK MY HUSBAND HERE FOR HIS BIRTHDAY! WE WERE TREATED SO WELL BY THE STAFF AND OUR WAITRESS ANGELA WAS SUPER HELPFUL WITH HELPING US SELECT OUR FOOD AND GIVING US TIPS. ONE OF THE MANAGERS ESTHER CAME BY OUR TABLE TO CHECK UP ON US AS WELL. WHAT A GREAT RESTAURANT AND THE FOOD WAS WONDERFUL!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunch spotDancoVIPDined on 9/24/2013This is one of my favorite lunch places in the area. It is never too crowded, so service is always great. The food is above average Mexican food, with many healthy and cost effective options. This time I had the Chicken Fajita, which was good but a little too heavy for lunch. I usually order off of the quick lunch menu. Get the guacamole. It is one if the best around. A lot of people don't know this, but there is a public garage in the building. The entrance is located on the side of the building.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as always but a little emptyOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/20/2013Rosa didn't disappoint tonight. Table-prepared guac was delicious as always (but where were the corn tortillas?). Fish tacos and scallops were delicious. I was surprised to see it so quiet on a Friday night, but was thankful to be able to get a table at 7 pm at the last minute. Skinny margaritas were yummy too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food. Great drinks althoughBMiltDined on 9/14/2013Good food. Great drinks although they are pricey. Guacamole is very good. Service us great. Restaurant is noisy but you can have conversations. We like this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The RealityOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 9/6/2013Very beautiful and unique theme decoration, and seductive since it promises excellent service and authentic Mexican food. Neither one are delivered. The alleged host walked up to our table and threw the menus down, and walked away without any verbal exchange , not to mention a welcome or a smile. The food smacks of formula Mexican, counting on the uninitiated diner. Get a grip gentlemen ! The flour tortillas were over cooked, and the short ribs were short on flavor, but elegantly arranged. Also over priced considering the quality.. The best thing about the experience was our waiter , a charming gentlemen from Cuernavaca who in spite of al of his efforts could not salvage the day ! We will not be returning or recommending .