Rosa Mexicano - Chevy Chase
5225 Wisconsin Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20015Neighborhood:
Chevy Chase, DC
MexicanPrice: $31 to $50
Rosa Mexicano - Chevy Chase
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.rosamexicano.com/
- Phone: 2027779959x
- Hours of Operation:
Friday & Saturday 11:30-11:30
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Executive Chef: Steve Lukis
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Regardless of your party size, Rosa Mexicano is the perfect venue to offer your guests a creative, upscale experience that few restaurants can match. We offer a full range of catering options: buffet stations, pre fixe menus, family style menus, passed hors d'oeuvres, etc. We also offer off-premise catering for groups of all sizes. For Large Party Reservations, please contact Kaye Newsome at 202.777.9959 or email at email@example.com
- Private Party Facilities: Our family style parties accommodate 10-20 guests in the main dining room. We have a private room for sit-down dinners or cocktail receptions. The restaurant is also available for buyouts. We offer off-site catering for parties of any size.
- Private Party Contact: Kaye Newsome 2027779959x
- Entertainment: On special occasions, we have guest musicians and/or mariachis present to heighten the festive atmosphere. Please contact the restaurant directly with questions.
- Special Events: HAPPY HOUR AT CANTINA BAR | DAILY, 4-7 pm
Half-price select cocktails and appetizers will make you very happy for much more than an hour.
FESTIVAL DE HELADOS | JULY 31-AUG 24
Desserts inspired by classic savory dishes such as guacamole, tamales and empanadas, and paired with handmade ice creams and sorbets infused with Mexican flavors ranging from prickly pear to chili-spiced chocolate.
KIDS EAT FREE | SUN - THURS (Dinner Only)
Enjoy a complimentary kids meal with the purchase of
any adult entrée*.
*Limit 2 kids per adult. Kids 10 yrs & Under
- Cross Street: Ingomar St NW
- Public Transit: Red Line - Friendship Heights.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Rosa Mexicano provides discounted parking for our valued guests in the Colonial Parking Garage on Jenifer Street.
Before 5pm - $6 with validation
After 5pm - $4 with validation
The Garage is open till 10pm Sun-Thurs and 12am on Friday and Saturday.
A word from Rosa Mexicano - Chevy Chase
In 1984, Rosa Mexicano set a new standard for Mexican cuisine when it first opened in New York City. Playing a leading role in defining what was then a "new" cuisine to American diners, Rosa Mexicano delivers authentic Mexican cooking in an accessible, stylishly festive atmosphere. Rosa Mexicano's menu features a range of award-winning signature dishes, including our Guacamole en Molcajete, in a traditional lava rock mortar. Described by Time Out New York as "green ecstasy in a stone bowl," it is prepared table side and served with house made chips, warm corn tortillas and condiment salsas. Rosa Mexicano is also known for the Frozen Pomegranate Margarita, as well as the modern and festive ambiance.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
Rosa Mexicano - Chevy Chase - Best Restaurants in Chevy Chase, DC ›
Rosa Mexicano - Chevy Chase reviews from OpenTable diners
98 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (36)good for groups (31)fit for foodies (27)kid-friendly (24)great for outdoor dining (22)great for lunch (20)special occasion (18)great for brunch (12)romantic (9)vibrant bar scene (8)hot spot (6)late-night find (6)scenic view (2)notable wine list (2)Show More
- Weekdays-great for kidsOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/25/2014Kids eat free. The margaritas are good. The gaucamole is usually great but one time it wasn't as good. The service was a little slow but people remembered us and that was very nice. Kids eat free Sunday-Thursday in Chevy Chase so that is awesome. The outdoor patio is really nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bueno!zorbaDined on 8/20/2014Great food. Beautiful decor. Excellent service. It's not always easy to satisfy a group of four, but RM did.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yummytjermVIPDined on 8/17/2014We frequent the restaurant enjoying tequila and food. I always order a second round of food to go it's so good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it!!!Pbar2Dined on 8/16/2014Food is excellent, bar service was phenomenal, wait staff was excellent and attentive, my party of 4 had a fabulous time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timerellencVIPDined on 8/16/2014I've been hearing about this place for awhile and finally got to go. I enjoyed the food although I was not happy with what I ordered since it was fried, my fault. It tried the other dishes at the table and they were good. Would go back with my boyfriend next time to try something different.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very flavorfulRosieDined on 8/16/2014The short ribs were very tender! They were out of several desserts at 8:30 p.m. but the chocolate ice cream was great!Special Features:
- way too darkluvoatmealDined on 8/15/2014the restaurant is tastefully decorated, has friendly wait staff, and decent food, but they turn down the lights way too much in the back dining room, which has no natural light. We were there around 7pm, and they had already turned down the lights as much as possible (unless they wanted people dining in total darkness). Suggest asking for a table in the front part of the restaurant, where the windows are, if you want to see what you're eating.
- Wouldn't Rosa be disappointed?ArturoDined on 8/2/2014Food quality has slipped here to the degree that I will not soon return. Too bad for what was once a great spot to dine. Chips were stale, had to request more - salsa was old, not fresh - guacamole was too far beyond recognition with an overabundance of other things besides actual avocados - and the meals for our party of 5 were all a big downer. On the flip side the sangria was perfectly blended and fresh tasting. The staff was very good an deserves to serve better food! I didn't go there for them after all!
- NiceSohoGirl67Dined on 7/20/2014Friend reviews gave me high expectations. Wasn't blown away, but perfectly nice. Table side guacamole was fresh and good, although need lemon or lime juice. Didn't love the chips--thicker and harder than I like. Queso was disappointing and was already hardening at serving. Fish tacos were really very good. Service was attentive. I was there for a 6pm dinner, so fairly quiet still and not much ambience yet. Outdoor dining looked appealing. Will try that next time. Will definitely go back and explore the menu further, and at a later time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/19/2014Best Mexican food we've found in the DC area. Great service. We'll be back.Special Features:
- disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/15/2014The food over all was quite bland. The guacamole was okay but overpriced for what it was, bland. The chips were stale, and the salsa not very flavorful. I had the garlic shrimp on brown rice, shrimp was overcooked and tough. I asked the server for a recommendation of fish fare that was savoury and flavorful, unfortunately the shrimp did not capture that theme. Service was good. I hope this helps in bumping up the flavor profile.
- Raise the Roof for RosaLuv2BrunchDined on 7/12/2014At the time we dined, Rosa Mexicano on Wisconsin Avenue NW was featuring tacos from different regions and different tequila drinks to compliment. Wow! Overwhelmingly delicious. A consistent favorite of my husband and mine is the Mexican Street Corn. No matter what entree you order, you MUST try this corn. The service is also always excellent. We have been back many times. One particular night, I didn't feel like an alcoholic drink. I asked the bartender to surprise me with something and the only direction I provided was I like savory over sweet. He concocted a a watermelon, lime and rosemary drink that was phenomenal. Another night, I did feel like an adult libation and had a gin, lime, and cucumber number that was oh so delicious.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/11/2014The food was delicious. The servers were very accommodating and helpful. Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Stubborn waiterOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/29/2014I was served a dish that I didn't order. The waiter would not change it despite my saying that I didn't order that dish. As what I was served was OK it seemed easier not to argue. In his defense, there were several similar dishes on the menu, so I can see how he would have been mixed up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/28/2014I have eaten and I make a lot of Mexican food. I was expecting something much more authentic. The food was OK and for most people I think it would be considered pretty good. I like to eat at restaurants that can serve food that I don't normally make or can make it better than I. Not the case with this restaurant. (Maybe we made the wrong food choices.) We sat on the patio over an air vent from the underground metro. The hot air from the vent was a distraction in the summer heat.
- Very disappointingLovelyDined on 6/27/2014...but the guacamole and the vegetables on the children's plate was delicious and well prepared. Sangria and salsa and service all very disappointing.
- Yummmm!JoJoDined on 6/27/2014Love this place every time I come. Always lives up to my expectations that I hold from previous trips. The manager often rounds the restaurant asking how the we are doing. A wonderful way to stay in touch with your patrons. Yummmm!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very satisfiedClaretDined on 6/21/2014Our waitress was extremely helpful and charming, the food was delicious, and the margaritas were superbSpecial Features:
- Love this place!!JoJoDined on 6/13/2014Rosa Mexicana always puts me in the best mood. The food, ambiance, service stands out every time. Delish! It's a gem in the neighborhood. The menu is robust. I order a variety of entrees depending on my visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yumtjermVIPDined on 6/13/2014We love going to the Chevy Chase location. Our server was attentive and even offered us a complimentary appetizer from the chef. You all know how to take care of repeat clients.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experience!SD21704Dined on 6/8/2014I highly recommend starting with a margarita and guacamole. My husband enjoyed every bite from a large bowl of Rosa Mexicano's tasty tortilla soup and then moved on to the huge short ribs which were amazingly flavorful, tender, and moist. My short rib enchiladas were delicious and had the best sauce I have ever eaten. The brown rice and black beans were tasty side dishes with our entrees. The wine list offered a nice variety in both vintages and prices and the one recommended was a nice accompaniment to our entrées. We completed our meal by sharing a dish of their house made ice cream and cappuccino's. All-in-all a very memorable Sunday supper and one would gladly repeat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 10189023VIPDined on 6/6/2014Food was good. Nothing exceptional. I like the chicken taquitos but thought the salsa lacked flavorI would recommend this to a friend.
- Go only for the GuacamoleOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 6/6/2014The rest was mediocre. Fish tacos were tasty but fried and not what was expecting. Kids meal selection was limited and not liked when it finally came. We all left with stomach aches.
- JoJoDined on 5/31/2014Between the service, the food, the ambiance - I love this place. I come with and without my kids. The staff are so respectful when I bring my kids which I greatly appreciate because they could easily not be. I get the same excellent service without kids - and I do choose this restaurant often for 'date night'. The pomegranate margs and guac are my deserted island meal - you know the one you have to choose to eat every day after day!
- Brought friendsMkd444Dined on 5/31/2014We love this restaurant so we wanted to introduce our friends to it. They enjoyed the fresh guacamole and the fabulous frozen pomegranate margaritas. Our waiter was fun and friendly and our entrees were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Raquel CobianRaquelitaDined on 5/31/2014Being from Mexican heritage, I was impress by the favors just like my grandma's kitchen !! I will be telling people about this restaurantSpecial Features:
- Fun!PamPam31VIPDined on 5/29/2014Definitely will return! The wait staff was great and we loved the food!Special Features:
- DisappointingflvluvDined on 5/26/2014Our entire party of 8 was disappointed with the food. It was bland and tasteless. Some was even soggy and lukewarm. The service was bare minimum and nothing more. They tried charging us for a kids order that according to their menu was supposed to come free with purchase of an adult entree. Their reason why? Because it was a holiday. OH that makes sense. Don't think so! The guacamole was ok but extremely overpriced. We would not recommend this place to anyone.
- Try the chicken or beeffoodiesisterDined on 5/21/2014I had never been to Rosa Mexicano before. My friend and I each ordered an entree and we split both of them. Neither of the entrees was very good! We got the Salmon Kale Salad. It did not describe it on the menu as a "chopped salad" but it was, and the salmon was chopped into teeny pieces. I like the taste of salmon and fish. But this salad had a "fishy" taste that was too strong, like maybe the fish wasn't as fresh as it should have been. We also got the Baja Fish Tacos. This one was better, but the fish was a little like fish sticks. Deep Fried. I was expecting a better experience and am not in a hurry to get back to Rosa Mexicano. I think if I do go back, I will try the standard chicken or beef and guacamole.Special Features:
- ApatheticOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/19/2014I am a fan of the downtown location, but the Chevy Chase venue leaves a lot to be desired. While the food was ok--but not as good as downtown--the servers were not attentive during a weekday lunch-hour. Specifically we had to ask to order, refills were sparing, and staff was in attentive.
- Guacamole rocks.sussVIPDined on 5/17/2014Want to burritos on menu. More varieties on real Mexican food street fare as well a restaurant level dishes. Menu is too safe.Special Features:
- Yummy FindYummyFindDined on 5/13/2014While visiting DC for business, we experienced for the first time, Rosa and all I can say is Yummy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014The food was great and service was friendly and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- expensive but oklinkVIPDined on 5/11/2014It was expensive for Mexican like food, portions were small..The best thing was the guacamole that was made in front of the table..we go here for the guacamole. .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mothers' Day BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/11/2014The service was great, the food was mediocre, not especially tasty or fresh. Event menus are always tough, but this one disappointed.Special Features:
- good food in loud atmosphere..DaisyDined on 5/5/2014If you're going to Rosa Mexicano, you probably are looking for a noisy fun place and this is. It's in a space that has had various restaurants over the years, and they seem to do very well. The servers ask if you want guacamole - while it is very good, made at table, it's way too much for 2 people as a starter. Chips are excellent, salsa okay not great, the entrees were very good and not traditional burritos-and-fajitas fare. Good wine options by the glass and of course margaritas. Very attentive service, speedy delivery of drinks and food. The only downside is if you actually want to talk to the person you're having dinner with, make sure to ask for a table FAR away from bar/dance area. Deafening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Avoid Cinco de MayoACommenterDined on 5/5/2014Obviously Cinco de Mayo is a celebration, so one might expect an upscale restaurant like this to have an upscale celebration. But, one would be wrong about that. The blaring hip-hop music (really?) forced our small party of 4 to, literally, scream across the table just to have a conversation. There appeared to be only one waiter (!) for the entire back dining room and just one guacamole girl (!) for the entire restaurant (on a night when the "special" prix-fixe included guac for every table). What should have been a standard 60-90 minute dinner took 2.5 hours because of the snail-pace of the service. The food was good, as usual, but this night was a total management disaster. #fail
- DisappointedglutenfreedaDined on 5/3/2014We have eaten here many times and had fabulous food and service. We all ordered the skirt steak (because we have had it on previous visits and it was wonderful) and were all disappointed in the meal. The meat was very tough. Did you change ownership or management?
- Good food and service, bad tableCCSusanVIPDined on 5/2/2014My husband and I really enjoyed the drinks, food and service at Rosa Mexicano. My pomegranate margarita was delicious and generous in size. The guacamole was very good. Our only complaint was that we were given a table right next to the service station. There were other open tables so we probably should have complained. At the least, we should have received a discount on our food.Special Features:
- Tasty fareGourmetFoodLoverDined on 5/2/2014We enjoyed our first visit to Rosa Mexicano. Overall, the food was great and their Cinco de Mayo prix fixe menu was well worth the $30.Special Features: