Rosa Mexicano- Boston
155 Seaport Boulevard
Boston, MA 02210Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Rosa Mexicano- Boston
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.rosamexicano.com/
- Phone: 6174766122x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday- Friday: 11:30am – 4:00pm
Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:30pm
Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Executive Chef: Ismael Garduno
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Regardless of your party size, Rosa Mexicano is the perfect venue to offer your guests a creative, upscale experience that few restaurants can match. We offer a full range of catering options: buffet stations, pre-fixe menus, family style menus, passed hors d'oeuvres, etc. We also offer off-premise catering for groups of all sizes. For Large Party Reservations, please contact Amy Mateo at email@example.com or 617.476.6122 for details.
- Entertainment: On special occasions, we frequently have guest musicians and/or mariachis present to heighten the festive atmosphere. Please contact the restaurant directly for more information.
- Special Events: FESTIVAL DE HELADOS | JULY 31-AUG 24
Desserts inspired by classic savory dishes such as guacamole, tamales and empanadas, and paired with handmade ice creams and sorbets infused with Mexican flavors ranging from prickly pear to chili-spiced chocolate.
A word from Rosa Mexicano- Boston
In 1984, Rosa Mexicano set a new standard for Mexican cuisine when it first opened in New York City. Playing a leading role in defining what was then a "new" cuisine to American diners, Rosa Mexicano delivers authentic Mexican cooking in an accessible, stylishly festive atmosphere. Rosa Mexicano"s menu features a range of award-winning signature dishes, including our Guacamole en Molcajete, prepared in a traditional lava rock mortar. Described by Time Out New York as "green ecstasy in a stone bowl," it is prepared tableside and served with house made chips, warm corn tortillas and condiment salsas. Rosa Mexicano is also known for the Frozen Pomegranate Margarita, as well as the stylish and festive ambiance that includes the 15 foot water wall.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Rosa Mexicano- Boston reviews from OpenTable diners
137 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (69)great for outdoor dining (53)fit for foodies (35)great for lunch (34)vibrant bar scene (32)neighborhood gem (25)special occasion (22)scenic view (22)hot spot (21)kid-friendly (19)late-night find (12)romantic (12)great for brunch (5)notable wine list (4)Show More
- FridaynightlightsVIPDined on 8/26/2014The guacamole and the location are the only redeeming features. Fish tacos looked and tasted like frozen fish sticks. Server forgot about a drink order then brought it with the check! We have been here twice and have been disappointed both times. Never again.
- Not True to FormEatingoodDined on 8/24/2014Left the restaurant after 30min. Drinks were good, service, food, what we had, were not good. We took a table on the patio. After we sat, we were told that table side Guacamole was not offered on the patio, the reason we came. We decided to stay on the patio and ordered the Guac to be made in the kitchen. They ran the wrong to order to us, Way To Spicy, then found our order, we had requested extra cilantro. The worst Guac I have ever had, hands down. No flavor AT ALL! My wife is in the industry, 20yrs. We both know when an experience isn't going to get better, but worse. So, we left. Waiter was nice, but not good. We had only 1 water glass on the table the entire time and remained unfilled til 5min before we left. Not going back.
- Lincoln Center at SeaportLove2EatOutVIPDined on 8/23/2014I've gone to their Lincoln Center location for years. So glad they are in Boston - the waterfall/wall is signature. 1. Guac is divine! 2. Margarita's - you can't go wrong with any of them 3. Inventive options - has the standard but also some great new dishes 4. Wish they did something with Mole sauce, maybe in the fall. Indoor seating would be very difficult due to the poor acoustics. It is a vibrant scene but if I were the manager I'd ask by decorator to come back to install better tiles to muffle the VERY LOUD sound.Special Features:
- Truly Fine DiningJonfromtheBurbsDined on 8/22/2014Most people probably don't think of Mexican food as a fine dining experience, but this place shows that they certainly can go together. We shared chicken flautas and I had the short rib beef enchiladas - both fantastic as well as the accompanying rice and beans. The chips, salsa and guac are also top notch. We were recommended a new drink on the menu made with blood orange juice, some other muddled fruits and tequila and they were great! Our waiter also sent over a complimentary dessert plate for us to share which had fried vanilla and caramel ice cream and sugar and cinnamon coated churros which were delicious! I will definitely be back to this place. This was my second visit and both times my meals were great!Special Features:
- Good and fast lunchKellyIVIPDined on 8/19/2014Service was attentive, food was creative and good. I would go back for lunch or dinner when I am back in the area.Special Features:
- What a find- FABULOUS!LCWobDined on 8/15/2014Hands down the best tableside guacamole I've ever had. Very friendly staff, delicious food, rice and beans served family style. Went with both a friend and liked it so much went back with my kids 2 days later. Highly recommended (and I am picky about Mexican food). Also, amazing sauces and sangria.Special Features:
- Delicious Empanadas !MarthaVIPDined on 8/13/2014I tried the chicken tinga empanadas and they were delicious. My server Marquis was very nice and helpful.Special Features:
- Good food, bad serviceRalquikDined on 8/9/2014My date and I were impressed with the ambience of the restaurant. The food and drinks we ordered were delicious. Unfortunately, our waiter (784) was very unattentive. It was as if he forgot we were even there, as he passed our table several times without checking in on us. We had to flag him down just to get our bill. It's a shame when poor customer service ruins your dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great good but loudKatyDined on 8/8/2014The food and service were great but the dining room was very loud and echoed. Definitely have the guacamole. Also, in my reservation, we requested an outdoor seat but when we got there were told they don't reserve for outside.
- a very long lunchfoodieVIPDined on 8/5/2014Food was great, but it took 90+ minutes for lunch. Our server seemed attentive, but the kitchen seemed to be the problem
- Refreshing changeStatisticianDined on 8/3/2014After eating at numerous seafood places in the area, Rosa's was a nice change. Marvelous guacamole, great service, a delicious, wide choice of entrees, Rosa's is a place I will return to during my brief stay in Boston's Seaport area. Friends went for dessert only late in the evening and plan to return for dinner as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing; not like NYC versionBeantown999Dined on 8/3/2014My wife and I were quite disappointed. We are huge fans of their NYC restaurants and assumed boston would be the same. The food wasn't as good, even the guacamole which you'd assume is simple, and the service (in the bar area) was very poor. Hostess very nice. Server (again in the bar area) was beyond pathetic. A lot of great places in Boston, where they'll work hard for your money. This isn't one of them. Our advice: Go someplace else.
- Muy Good!XavierVIPDined on 8/1/2014This is my first time going to RM in Boston and though they don't have some of the drinks the original has in NYC, it is still very good! The guac always a winner and same with the queso fundido but boy make sure to run for a wk. The skinny margarita packs a punch even if it's supposed to be lighter than her full strength sister. If weather permits get outside sitting as it makes for a better experience. Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth another shotMap5Dined on 7/30/2014Had a great time dining outdoors at the Boston seaport location. The salsa, guacamole, and shrimp ceviche were the best part of the meal, with the main courses (budin de pollo and shrimp alhambra, 3 enchiladas) coming in second. Perhaps just need to try something different the next time. The most disappointing were the margaritas. We tried 4 different kinds, including their signature drink, and all were disappointing. But the service was excellent so look forward to trying Rosa Mexicano again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Guacamole heavenOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/29/2014You must have the tableside guac when you go to Rosa Mexicano. We got a double order because there were 5 in our party and i eat enough for 2 people. Fabulous service, incredible meal and always reliable. You can always count on a great experience at Rosa Mexicano.Special Features:
- Rosy at Rosa'sOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/25/2014Traditoinal Mexican cuisine with creative inspiration. Our dishes were seasoned perfectly and presented with eye appeal. The homemade guacamole is always enjoyable, but I wish they made their own chips. The bar team knows how to make the perfect margarita no matter what your taste. Service is warm and friendly, and the ambience is a great mix of modern with a nod of tradtion.Special Features:
- Mexican in the Seaport DistrictOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/24/2014Dinner at Rosa Mexicana on 7/24/14; dined outside on the busy Seaport Blvd. side. On a summer night, the Seaport District is crowded with tourists and after-work diners. The food and the margarita were good but the tortilla chips were unremarkable. Parking was easy in the public lot across the street. I would eat there again.Special Features:
- Management needs to control crowdManagementDined on 7/23/2014Hello! Our food was good, along with fast and friendly service. Our only issue was the drunken loudness of a large table of people that were clearly disturbing everyone in the restaurant because of there rude behavior. I asked if something could be said to them...but nothing was done. Sadly, we won't be back, because the management should have handled the situation, and there are hundreds of other Boston restaurants to have a meal. But the food was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK overall, not sure I'd go backHeatherVilleDined on 7/22/2014The wait staff and hostess were friendly, but service was a little slow. We sat outside so maybe that's why, but it was a Tuesday night and not very busy. The thing I was most disappointed about was the guacamole, and this is why I hesitate to recommend this restaurant to friends. I had heard it was delicious and really wanted to try it, but since they only offer a $14 very large bowl of it, my sister and I did not get it. There's no way we could have even eaten half of it, and the rest would have gone to waste. You can't really take guacamole home- it doesn't keep well, and it was a very hot night. The restaurant should offer two sizes so that people that are there by themselves or couples can order it.Special Features:
- Would not recommendOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/18/2014Given the hype', awesome location, and price, we were very disappointed with out experience. Our meat entrees were over cooked and dry, and the service was SLOW. We had to flag down our waiter several times to get any attention. I would not recommend this place and I will not be back.
- guac and green enchiladatadamassDined on 7/13/2014Loved the outdoors and the food. attentive service. Sauces on food were incredibly fresh tasting and fun and unique.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BillDined on 7/6/2014We sat outside on a beautiful night and enjoyed the water views. The service was exceptional. The food was terrific. Good portions for a reasonable price. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Love the guacAmericanoDined on 7/6/2014Rosa Mexicano is famous for its pomegranate margarita and its freshly made guacamole. It should be famous for these items! They are excellent! The food was delicous and out server was really good with a fun personality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a food lover 1962Afoodlover1962VIPDined on 7/3/2014without a doubt the BEST and freshest guacamole in the city. The food is outstanding with creative rich flavors and generous servings. A must .Special Features:
- Wonderful find!Ivy73Dined on 7/3/2014We were looking for a place to eat in the Seaport district but had waited until the last minute to make reservations. Booked a table at Rosa Mexicano not knowing anything about it. The service was prompt and friendly, the food was delicious! Fresh ingredients, nice variety, very appetizing presentation..we were thrilled with our meal!! We will definitely be back and will be telling family and friends about our new discovery.Special Features:
- Guac-alicious but......VAMCCVIPDined on 7/2/2014The best part of the night was the guacamole -- freshly made to your liking at the table. The food was okay -- the filet tacos were a bit pricey ($13 for 2 small soft tacos as an appetizer). The margaritas were good -- but each bartender seemed to make the same drink differently. And not better! I had been to Rosa Mexicana in NY many years ago and wanted to check out the Boston location. I would not rush back.Special Features:
- go for Guac and drinksnhdinerDined on 6/26/2014Overpriced menu and not very good tacos. Guac and churros were excellent. Server was friendly.
- Seaport District MustwhiteflowerDined on 6/15/2014Have dined at Rosa Mexicano on several occasions and I have never been disappointed. In particular, the guacamole is fabulous and not to be missed. It is prepared at the table with fresh ingredients and to specified spiciness. Great with drinks or as an appetizer for the table. Expect traditional Mexican dishes, but with beautiful presentation. Everything is yummy. I typically drop in at Rosa Mexicano for lunch or drinks after work, and atmosphere is lively, but not too loud for conversation. Nice outdoor dining when weather permits. Last weekend, the experience was quite different - lot's a families and young children. Restaurant is able to accommodate variety of groups.Special Features:
- Great drinks!dogloverDined on 6/13/2014The food had good flavor and the drinks were amazing! My husband and I are picky when it comes to margaritas. Our drinks were perfect. The right amount of tequila and none of that gross sour mix. The service could have been better. There was a long gap between our drink order and our food order. We were considering the table side guacamole, but after waiting so long for the waiter, we decided to skip it and just order our meals. The tables were close together, so it felt like the people next to us could hear our conversation.Special Features:
- AcceptableBetsy1224VIPDined on 6/12/2014This is a reasonably good choice if you're in this part of the city, but I wouldn't go out of my way to eat here. The food and drinks are okay but nothing exceptional. Perhaps I'm expecting too much as I've eaten at Rosa Mexicano's Lincoln Center location in New York a number if times, and that is a real experience - beautiful decor, varied menu, great service.Special Features:
- nice findPALSDined on 6/10/2014Was able to make a reservation for 2 people which is great! Had a yummy pommegranite martini. The mahi mahi app tacos were tasty, fresh and perfect size for what I was looking for. The guac made table side was delish and the salsa is prob the best I've ever had! It should be bottled and sold :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/9/2014We had to wait for 40 minutes to even be acknowledged by the wait staff on an evening that was not very busy. The 2 appetizers we ordered came out 20 minutes apart. In fairness, once the manager became aware of the poor service, we were not charged for the appetizers. We had been to dinner a week before and experienced similar slow and inattentive service. On the other hand, the food was reasonable.
- Great food and nice ambiance!mandzmrieDined on 6/7/2014The food at Rosa Mexicano was very good! The chicken enchiladas were delicious. We passed on the table-side guac this time around, but will definitely be getting it next time as it looked amazing. The service was great, and I really liked the atmosphere.Special Features:
- cbarVIPDined on 6/7/2014Extremely poor service. drinks took 45 min, food came wrong, check came wrong too.Special Features:
- Not great.AlliDined on 6/7/2014There are two things that Rosa Mexicano does well: drinks (I particularly enjoy the organic sangria) and guacamole (a bit salty, but delicious nonetheless). The rest, however, leaves much to be desired. It seems that whenever I go there for a meal, it is at the least a mild disaster, and this time was no different. In addition to needing to ask for brunch menus and the waiter filling an already-full glass of water, spilling it everywhere, the food I ordered is not what I got. According to the menu, the egg white burrito is supposed to have herbed egg whites, arugula, and a wheat tortilla. I got non-herbed egg whites, romaine and asparagus instead of arugula, and a white tortilla. Not ok. I'll return, but only for drinks and guac.Special Features:
- Elegant Mexican on Boston HarborHoward4Dined on 6/6/2014A lovely restaurant in the seaport area with elegant, casual ambience, the best gaucamole, EVER (made fresh at your table), unusual & spicy tacos, yummy red sangria and really nice staff. We would highly recommend for groups of 4 - 8.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic MexicanTamieLVIPDined on 6/3/2014I have now gone to Rosa's for lunch and happy hour and think it is one of the few authentic Mexican (actual Mexican food) restaurants in Boston. There are a decent amount of tex-mex so it is a refreshing addition to the area. I had their mango margarita which was very fresh and refreshing. The ambiance is perfect for groups: friends or coworkers; not the kind of place I would label as romantic. I can definitely see this as a place I will frequent in the future.Special Features:
- First time. Would go back.chrisDined on 5/31/2014As with all the restaurants at the Seaport, this is expensive for what you get. Both people at the host/hostess station were friendly and welcoming. Server was fine. He didn't seem to understand the menu very well and when we asked two very small questions that were barely off script (including "what if I want this special margarita with a different tequila") I think his head almost exploded. So, we decided to keep it simple at that point. Not a big issue because the menu was self-explanatory. They have a peculiar habit of asking if you want more water. To me, if my water is empty or low, just fill it; especially while I'm eating spicy food. Table side quac was fabulous. Mahi taco appetizer was TINY but had huge flavor.
- Rosa mexicanaCindyDined on 5/30/2014Went with some friends before a concert. The margaritas were delicious, food was great and service was fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bostonfoodie21VIPDined on 5/30/2014Great atmosphere and interesting menu - seemed promising. Sadly, the food and service did not measure up. The rasberry mojito smelled/tasted like thick, syrupy peach shnapps; the cucumber mojito was far too thick and sweet as well. The flavors of the sauce in the budin de pollo didn't marry well with the chicken (mostly dark meat). The beef short rib enchiladas were sub-par. Only shining spot was the overpriced table side guacamole. I'm happy to pay any price for an outstanding meal, but was disappointed in this experience. Our server was polite and friendly but service was spotty; the guacamole came and was consumed before our drinks arrived ~15 minutes later. The entrees came out quickly, but we sat for ~20 minutes waiting for the check.