707 Chestnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106Neighborhood:
CubanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.rosablancadiner.com/
- Phone: (215) 925-5555
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 8am- 10pm
Friday & Saturday: 8am - Midnight
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Cuban
- Executive Chef: Jose Garces
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Entertainment: If you book a private event at Rosa Blanca, our event coordinators can provide you with unique entertainment options for your party.
A word from Rosa Blanca
Combining the laid-back, all-day appeal of a diner with the innately comforting character of classic Cuban fare, Rosa Blanca is the best of Latin and American culinary culture from Philadelphia’s top Latin-American chef: Jose Garces. Now open, Rosa Blanca will feature a rotisserie in the kitchen, comfort food on the menu, and a take-out counter with a variety of Cuban coffee & pastries. Rosa Blanca will be open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. In addition, enjoy our milkshakes and extensive rum program featuring a selection of mojitos.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Rosa Blanca reviews from OpenTable diners
191 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (121)good for groups (82)neighborhood gem (76)great for lunch (68)great for brunch (41)special occasion (39)hot spot (32)romantic (29)late-night find (18)vibrant bar scene (14)kid-friendly (12)great for outdoor dining (6)notable wine list (4)scenic view (1)Show More
- Definitely would go backFoodfanVIPDined on 11/15/2014The food was delicious and we especially liked the spinach and cheese empanadas as a starter. My husband's entree was not very hot so the waiter reheated it and when we had dessert he offered it to us for free because of the need to reheat the dish. The waiter gave good suggestions and explanations of the dishes and was attentive. We ordered the appetizers first while we decided on the entrees and he came back to get the order in a good time frame. We all opted for beers - plenty of choices - except for one of us who went with the hot toddy which she said was yummy! Street parking in that area was pretty good too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatnodinerformeDined on 11/9/2014Food and service was great. First time to visit and plan to go back.Special Features:
- UghOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 11/7/2014Boring, featureless dining room $16 dollar margaritas - really? I mean really? Tiny portion of guacamole Salty food - everything: fries and churrasco were almost inedible Poor service - either they were short-staffed that night or our waiter simply was inattentive LOUD!! Seriously - with much better Cuban options available in the area (think Mixto or Alma de Cuba), we will never return.
- Great TimeOut4dinnerVIPDined on 11/7/2014The great food and outstanding service at Rosa Blanca keep me coming back.Special Features:
- Where are the dinersDebbVIPDined on 11/4/2014Our meals were good but for me the choice was limited Too much fried food and pork products Our wait person was fine until another group of four took a booth and then we got too casual service For what we ate 45$ a person including tip was too dear for a salad with chicken a chicken entree and two orders f spinach No alcoholSpecial Features:
- a rose it isdenverchowhoundDined on 11/1/2014We were part of a group of 4 for a late lunch--two of our group had breakfast items and really enjoyed them, one of our group had a salad with chicken and avocado, and really enjoyed it--very fresh ingredients, very tasty. I had the octopus small plate and the Cubano sandwich, plus a side of spinach and all was very good, hot, and nicely prepared. First time here and we will come again. We appreciated the ability to have grown-up drinks at lunch, and these were also well made. Nice mix of diner and casual restaurant, with very good food and service.Special Features:
- Phenomenal FoodLove2eat85Dined on 11/1/2014Great low key atmosphere and phenomenal food at great prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wannaBfoodEDined on 10/30/2014As with everything Jose Garces does, Rosa Blanca has class. We've only been there twice, both times for lunch. This place has been designed as a "Cuban Cafe" and, as such, is more downscale than many of his other venues, yet nothing has been spared. The decor is clean and cozy and the food is wonderful. Who else could make a Cobb salad that was simply perfect - from the succulent but crisped roast chicken to the simple balsamic dressing, everything was delicious and in perfect balance. And did I mention the mojitos? These are the real deal, loads of fresh mint and excellent rum offered with various island juices. The block that it's located on in non-descript but this place is anything but.Special Features:
- Jose Garces rules!phoodphanaticDined on 10/28/2014My hubby and I are big fans, so naturally when i decided to take him to the Flyers/Kings game for his birthday i wanted to also choose one of Chef Garces' restaurants for dinner. Let me tell you the decision was not easy, but i was confident that any one of them would be outstanding. The staff was helpful & attentive. The ambiance was relaxing and inviting. The decor was a mix between vintage diner & Cuban cigar hacienda, and was absolutely delightful. I would recommend this place for a tasty meal any time of day. They are open for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and late night snacks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!SixspeedmaniacDined on 10/25/2014From the food to the drinks...FANTASTIC! We absolutly loved everything that was served...tasty is an understatement. Will be back!Special Features:
- Not as expectedtasteiskingDined on 10/24/2014The service was wonderful. Bartender was engaging, spontaneous and very friendly. Same for our waitress. Octopus was outstanding, but pork shoulder - entire dish was far too salty, and I like salt in my food. Tres leches was fair. Coffee was great.
- Garces has done it again!RobblowVIPDined on 10/16/2014We love this place for lunch and dinner! And the service is as good as the food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- milkshakesnancyVIPDined on 10/9/2014They have the BEST milkshakes! Sends you back to your childhood with good icecream and whole milk.Special Features:
- BuddyRockDined on 10/5/2014It was pretty empty on a Sunday night. Maybe two tables when we arrived at 6 PM. Benefit. We got the full attention of our waiter who was phenominal! We enjoyed the attention. Like the Cuban Diner experience. Tried some different foods and not the traditional cuban fare which was great. Small portions which was perfect for a Sunday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All high notesRollstoneVIPDined on 10/3/2014While we knew there was an excellent chef behind it, our expectations were completely blown away. From the drink special to dessert the food was excellent, with interesting taste combinations and perfect serving sizes. Even the dishware is interesting. Service was attentive, friendly, helpful and efficient. It's a tad noisy when crowded, but it's everyone having a good time.Special Features:
- something differentprefernottoVIPDined on 10/3/2014Nice mix of small plates, entrees and salads. Food was unusual and good. Server was attentive and knew the menu well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/27/2014Had a wonderful waitress, Beth and a fantastic meal. Our appetizers were wonderful and meal was outstanding. Vibrant environment inside the restaurant. Saturday, September 27Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chifly CubanOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014It took us a few minutes to realize we were in the transformed Chifa. We were lucky to be seated in one of the more intimate booths in the back room. The coconut and conch soup was one of the highlights as were the complementary yucca buns. We selected entrees to share which would afford us an understanding of the kitchen's capabilities - Pollo a la brasa,vaca frita, a fried pork shoulder, and a plantain cheese casserole all served with delicious black beans. All entrees were thoroughly enjoyed. We agreed that we would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pedestrianAndiVIPDined on 9/27/2014nothing special. Garces can do much better. The concept is uninspired. The food is somewhat interesting but I wouldn't return for it. Menu is confusing. Mike, our waiter, was superlative, helpful, attentive, not suffocating. He contributed to my giving an "overall" rating as high as I did, and he deserves a better restaurant at which to make a living. Chifa was so much better; sorry to see it go.
- Rude hostessOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014The hostess was extremely unfriendly and rude, luckily the waitress made up for it! Food was pretty good, low key relaxed atmosphere.
- terrible servicephfoodDined on 9/20/2014I made the reservation over two weeks in advance but when we got there they didn't have a table ready and the staff was frazzled. Several times over the course of the night the staff could be overheard complaining about one another. We were seated under a fan that blew frigid air and it was uncomfortable. Then, for the second time, they were out of the pork shoulder so we had to order something else. The food took more than an hour and a half to arrive and responses to complaints were minimal and unsatisfactory. When it finally did arrive, the dishes were tasty but cold and oversalted. All in all, it was not a good experience.
- gave it a 3rd tryOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/20/2014This is our 3rd time here, made excuses on the first 2 times due to its newness. The food is not authentic (I am from Cuba). This last time I had the Black beans and they were not "cuajadas". Garces will know what that means. The Cod fritters were not dense enough. The cuban sandwich claims cuban bread, believe me, that is not cuban bread and the cuban coffee had so much chicory that i felt i was in Turkey. Jose, you know what a great Cuban diner is "Versalles or La Carreta in Miami. You have the means to make this happen. Please work on it. If you want good better Cuban food I recommend Mixto or Cuba Libre.
- Worth the waitBarbaraRVIPDined on 9/20/2014Service did seem a bit slow considering that when we came in for our 5pm reservation they were not busy at all. We made it early because we were headed to a concert and didn't want to feel rushed. Our server was very friendly but there seemed to be a long break between ordering drinks and food and receiving them. All 5 of us in our group thought that the food was very good and worth the wait. I had the snapper which was the market price fish of the day and it was delicious! Drinks were also very good. The front of the restaurant has the feel of a "diner". Ask to be seated in the main dining room in the back for a different atmosphereSpecial Features:
- Amazing food and drinksfeelin22Dined on 9/19/2014My girlfriends and I went for dinner during Restaurant week. It was our first time trying Cuban food. The food was perfect. Literally, everything we had -- ceviche, tostones, yuca, stewed brisket, pork shoulder. We tried each others dishes. The mojitos were perfect. The only thing I was not in love with was my dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cuban2nightDined on 9/19/2014So i went during restaurant week and i wasn't too crazy about the menu option. I had the conch chowder and the conch had a weird taste to it, the plantain with its dipping was quite enjoyable, and the shrimp dish i had was a bit too salty.However i will say the service was very much accommodating and friendly.Special Features:
- MediocreFoodyGoodyDined on 9/19/2014Nice, clean, romantic atmosphere. Me and my bf went here for our 3 year anniversary. It's a nice place, but the bar area did not seem to fit the "Cuban atmosphere". We ordered shrimp in a spicy tomatoe sauce as an appetizer, it was a cold dish that we were not expecting. My boyfriend ordered yuca fries which were deliscious! I ordered fried plantains that were fried in a batter, I did not particularly care for this item, it did not have much flavor. I ordered brisket stew as my main course. It was on the sweet side so I added black beans to tame it down. The serving size was very small. My boyfriend ordered a shrimp dish with fried peppers in it. It was deliscious but also a small serving size. Nevertheless, our meal was not worth $74
- AmazingFoodLoverDined on 9/19/2014So we went to lunch here during restaurant week. The place is very warm and inviting with a 50s diner style entrance but once you get to the backroom you are transported to real Cuba. Food and service were great. We tried the yucas, plantains, Cuban pork sandwich and shrimp...Would definitely come back for more. The drinks were fantastic, even though I can't recall the exact names...Restroom original décor adds a nice touch...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentDonnieQuixDined on 9/18/2014Excellent food, excellent service, great mojitos. Very attentive staff. I had a drink on the table shortly after finishing the first one. Server made excellent recommendations!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great choice for restaurant weekMaryCaitDined on 9/17/2014I cannot say anything negative about this place. Great food, great service, great spot.Special Features:
- Delicious!Kels3610Dined on 9/17/2014Everything was great! The food was excellent and the service was wonderful! We will definitely be back soon! I highly recommend this restaurant :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great serviceBecky269Dined on 9/16/2014Went for restaurant week the food was very good. near the top of my list for Cuban food. I had the ropa vieja which was almost the best I've had. But the service was great. The server could have sold us anything he was so classy, entertaining and knowledgeable.Special Features:
- Great time at Rosa!ronk5Dined on 9/16/2014The food at Rosa Blanca is awesome! The food is great, the service is great as well. Will go there again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week!kerrykimrussoDined on 9/16/2014I've had the food here before. For lunch. And it was delivered. Surprisingly, the food being delivered tasted better than when my wife and I ate in the restaurant. The lunch menu is largely the same as the dinner menu. Maybe there's a different chef for dinner service? Food is still good, but certainly does not live up to the expectations of a Garces restaurant or other fancy-shmancy places in the city.Special Features:
- Great Food, ServiceLrp123Dined on 9/15/2014I have eaten here several time and have never been disappointed. The service was prompt and friendly. For appetizers we had the Coconut & Conch Chowder and Guacamole Cubano w/ smoked pineapple. The soup was light and refreshing. The guacamole is very tasty. For the main course we had Ropa Vieja (shredded brisket stew), which is a very hearty comfort food stew...highly recommend. We also had Enchilada de Camarones (shrimp in pepper & tomatoe stew) which is a very good dish, but not the Ropa Vieja beats this dish hands down. My only suggestion is that they lighten up on the cilantro, which they tend to use a little too much of in every dish. We had pineapple upside down cake and custard for dessert. Both were very good.Special Features:
- Never a disappointmentBuenisimoDined on 9/15/2014I went with a friend to Rosa Blanca for lunch during restaurant week and the choices on the menu were excellent. The ropa vieja is to die for and the shrimp ceviche was excellent. In terms of dessert, the "Tembleque de coco" was an amazing wonderful surprise. I recommend this gem to everybody that like Cuban or Latin-American food. By the way try the Cuban sandwich, you will not be disapointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SabrosoPapaPepeDined on 9/15/2014Good seasoned food in a pleasant conversational environment. I keep returning.Special Features:
- A Delightful Cuban AdventurePHLphoodieDined on 9/14/2014We met a friend here to celebrate the fact she landed a new job, which I indicated when making the reservation on Open Table. As soon as we arrived, the occasion was acknowledged by the hostess, which set the evening off on a good note. Our server was very knowledgeable & had a great suggestion to help us narrow the first course selections on the Restaurant Week menu...he called it Tapas Roulette, where the chef selects the apps, and it was a hit! Every entree was yummy...Ropa Vieja, Macietas & Churrasco. The mango custard desert was delicious, served with a candle to celebrate our friend's new job...a very nice touch. Thanks for the well-coordinated service & delightful evening, Rosa Blanca!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what I was expecting...BellezaeternaDined on 9/14/2014Not the best experience. My husband and i went this past sunday during restaurant week and I was really excited because the menu sounded great! The appetizers were great! They were small like tapas. For my entree i ordered the chicken dish, and it was not cooked fully. I sent it back and unfortunately it was still not cooked. Im not one to make a big deal about anything so I just didnt eat it any went on to dessert, which was small but tasty. The service was excellent & the rum selection is amazing. Definately go here if you love mojitos!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding food, poor mojitosAromaDined on 9/13/2014Hispanic restaurant's are my favorite! After all, I was born, raise and live in Puerto Rico for 22 years.The dining experience was great! The food was very tasty, well seasoned, it was like dining in the caribbean. However, the mojitos were very dissapointing. I ordered a passion fruit mojito, it was "ok" but not amazing as expected from a Cuban place. My boyfriend ordered a pomegranate mojito that tasted more like juice. We decided to try a different drink rather than their signature mojito's. We try caipirinha a brazilian drink! It was excellent! Gret flavor, well balanced, one of the best I had. Hopefully the mojitos dissapointment was just a mishap but I probably won't order them again at Rosa Blanca.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious...PentimentoVIPDined on 9/11/2014All of our first plates were good, grilled octopus, ham croquettes, shrimp cerviche, guacamole. We had the ropa viejo and the cubed pork. We like Latin food and both entrees were yummy and interesting variations of classics. The dining room decor was too dark and kinda boring, not very Cuban or at least not in fun way. It was also very very noisey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.