La Jolla, CA 92037Neighborhood:
La Jolla / Golden Triangle
AsianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.roppongiusa.com/
- Phone: 858-551-5252x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 4:00 pm - 9:00 pm | Friday & Saturday: 4:00 pm - 9:30pm
Tapas in the Covered Patio, Bar & Lounge Area only
First Come, First Served Basis, no reservations.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Asian, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Alfie Szeprethy
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Roppongi Catering, contact Ron or Jason @ (858)551-5252 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Private Party Facilities: Large parties of 15 or more are offered pre-set dining options.
- Private Party Contact: Jason Melville 8585515252x
- Special Events: Pre-set menu options available for parties of 12 or more.
Private parties can be accommodated in one of the following spaces:
The Buddha Room (maximum of 32 seated)
The Covered Patio (maximum of 60 seated)
Firepit Patio (maximum of 40 seated/ 80 cocktail-style)
A word from Roppongi
Located on Prospect Street in downtown La Jolla, it’s obvious why Roppongi Restaurant & Sushi Bar was named a “World’s Top Restaurant” by Zagat Survey and is a recipient of Wine Spectator’s “Award of Excellence.” Roppongi’s bold menu invites guests to share dishes and try a mélange of flavors in a relaxed, upscale and intimate setting in one of San Diego’s finest neighborhoods.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Roppongi reviews from OpenTable diners
80 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (37)special occasion (34)great for outdoor dining (34)good for groups (28)neighborhood gem (27)romantic (27)hot spot (10)vibrant bar scene (7)notable wine list (6)kid-friendly (6)great for lunch (5)scenic view (4)great for brunch (3)late-night find (2)Show More
- JannyVIPDined on 9/14/2014The service is usually impeccable. On this occasion, however, it seemed more indifferent.Special Features:
- Return visitKarenDined on 9/12/2014Very disappointed in Roppongi's after not visiting it in 6 years-- and we frequented it a lot when we lived in La Jolla. Albacore entree was over cooked, stir fry vegetables wilted, accompanying sauce was bland. Buttermilk onion rings had been vastly reduced in size, yet the price was the same. Sorry to say we won't return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Great Meal at RoppongimarkVIPDined on 9/11/2014The food and service, as usual now, was great. Good menu and daily specials add to the choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great varietySashimiandmeatDined on 9/6/2014Great food - Korean Short Ribs Awesome - Sashimi Awesome - Everything AwesomeSpecial Features:
- Desserts outshine the dinnerIeatfoodDined on 9/4/2014The desserts here are outstanding. The food is good, but is overpriced in my opinion. Went on a weeknight. The place was pretty dead, but the service was still very slow. Saw staff keeping busy, but not with the customers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DownhillFoodfunDined on 8/31/2014Used to be a great place, now just catering to tourists. Service was bad (the sushi was served last, after our entree). Steak was not good, prices of entrees are through the roof. Too bad.
- Poor food and service in rich areaLovetoeatoutDined on 8/29/20142 years ago we ate at Roppongi there was hair in our food. Gagging. We decided to try it again. It took over 50 minutes to get our food. After 1/2 hour, I asked for bread since it was getting late. We were about leave when the food came. The soup was old and stale. They used water to attempt to revive it. The food and sushi was average and sad. The bread finally came after the food. Too long. We could not wait to leave.
- Very good service Food so so for $$MarkAndKarriDined on 8/23/2014We had Dinner at Roppongi on Saturday night and the service was excellent but the food was wanting more for the price. We started with the Pot Stickers and Tom Kha soup they where very tasty & unique. My wife had the Albacore Tuna with pasta which she did not like. She prefers flaky type fish. I tried some of her meal and thought the fish was very good but the over all dish was missing something. I had the Lamb Chops and was good but a little too much char from the grill marks. The Manager did offer us a free Coffee and Deserts as we stated the food was so so. And the Tahiti Banana and Ice cream was Excellent. If we did not have the Desert I would of gave the food a 2 but the desert pushed my rating to a 3.Special Features:
- Consistently great!WendyTDined on 8/23/2014Love this Cohn family restaurant for its cozy ambiance, great service, unique and delicious menu! We also used our Passport dining card to save on an entree! This restaurant is my daughter's favorite place to eat in San Diego - perfect for a family dinner or when friends come to town and want great California cuisine!Special Features:
- Crab stack outstandingAceOneDined on 8/22/2014Food was great as always. Crab stack was excellentSpecial Features:
- Was Delightful!PJDineDined on 8/17/2014Was in town for a long weekend getaway and had a great experience. Good attention by the staff, attentive but not hovering and the food and ambiance met our expectations. Will return again.Special Features:
- Better than the last timeBFBSDVIPDined on 8/16/2014Formerly we were fairly regular customers but we had stopped dining at Roppongi when they changed their Tapas menu and the quality dipped. Recently we went back and the quality has ratcheted up. I'd give it 4 stars instead of three except they continue to serve potato chips with the chicken satay and not only do they look cheap on the plate but they don't go with the dish. Formerly they served some very thin string-like potatoes which were much better. We had 5 different tapas and enjoyed them but the pot stickers were the least successful and not really pot stickers -- more like standard dumplings. At happy hour in the bar area, the tapas are half-price and a good deal...otherwise the value proposition isn't that great.Special Features:
- Great food, "meh" serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/10/2014We've always loved the food at Roppongi, so we were excited to bring my parents and in-laws for a special family dinner. Our server started off great, very patient and helpful, but after our food came, we hardly saw him again. My father asked several times for a tea refill, but never got it, and we had to go up to the hostess station to ask for our bill, and again to pay.Special Features:
- Extremely EnjoyablewebefineDined on 8/7/2014we went there with another couple for a Simi Wine Dinner. The head chief paired each dish with a Simi Wine and introduced each course to explain it. It is amazing how the wines enhanced the food and visa versa. We have been to Roppongi many times, always enjoyable but this was fantastic!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DJ ThursdayMtbikejohnVIPDined on 7/31/2014We've eaten at Roppongi many times. This was the first time sitting outside. It happened to be Thursday, DJ night, happy hour drink prices all night. We all enjoyed the hip music, the DJ made it extra fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FavoriteSallyMacDined on 7/24/2014We usually suggest Roppongi to friends for a casual birthday celebration because of the special "messy sundae", as well as the chance to experience so many different dishes with the extensive and superb appetizer menu. Out of towners always like it as well for the inventive menu. It is almost invariably satisfactory.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/19/2014Scorched soy sauce was the cooking theme, the food lacked flavor of its own. Had to send back spoiled crab (which they graciously dot not charge for). Sushi below average freshness. Seated promptly, service was attentive but the kitchen was very, very slow.
- 122kathymacDined on 7/19/2014The food was good and lots of fun to share. We sat in the bar and it was fun fun and lively. The food was served quickly. However , we ordered a bottle of wine and that didn't come until we were finished with the meal. We asked our server twice after we ordered the wine, another server once, the busboy and the manager . After finishing our food we stopped the server again and again mentioned the wine and the fact it had never come. He didn't apologize just brought the wine ,that we no longer wanted.
- Excellent foodlovethePlaceDined on 7/19/2014We highly recommend this place for the delicious food, the wonderful atmosphere on the patio, and the service was excellent. The table settings are formal, but you can go from casual dress to formal and feel comfortable here. We ate at several local restaurants while visiting La Jolla and this was the most delicious food by far! The place is also a great nightlife spot.Special Features:
- Poor Service - It has been bettersddinerDined on 7/11/2014Extremely poor service - no waiter at the table for 25 mins. We had to make 3 different requests for a waiter. Rude and un-interested hostess and manager. There was no courtesy apology or even a walk by the table trying to explain the situation. We have been here many times before and have never had such a terrible experience. We would like to file this away as an "off night" and will give this place another shot. The food was great - as always.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique and funLuvgoodfoodVIPDined on 7/10/2014The menu challenged us to experience new flavors. The waitstaff was very helpful in guiding us to new food selections we could be comfortable experiencing. This is obviously one of La Jolla's shining dining venues.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Downtown La Jolla gempickydinerDined on 7/8/2014Tapas were great for sharing. Interesting flavors. Service good.Special Features:
- DisappointingCindyVIPDined on 7/5/2014There were four of us for dinner, first time here, but no one enjoyed their meal. The server said one of the dishes was very spicy so my friend ordered something else that ended up being very spicy. I had the lamb chops which were tiny, tough and fatty. The server never came by to check on how we liked our meals, so no one complained.
- PaulDined on 7/1/2014Scallops were cold & tuff. In general portions were small and un imaginative.
- Sushi / Sashimi at its Bestlive2eatDined on 6/27/2014We have enjoyed Roppongi many times on visits to La La Jolla as never come that we don't find a night to eat there. Their specialty rolls are outstanding, and we really enjoyed their tapas additions (the calamari [not fried!] was fabulous and were the onion rings and papadums). Everything they do they do well.Special Features:
- Consistent quality over the yearsMillvalleymomDined on 6/15/2014We eat here when we visit my daughter at UCSD. Great place to take a group and share small plates, sliders and rolls. Favorite this time was miso eggplant but all quite goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid sushi jointHulkBusterMarkIDined on 6/15/2014The Good - Great food, fantastic ambiance, relatively quieter than other sushi places, prompt and courteous wait staff. The Bad - Sushi prices were little more expensive than other places, only found street parking until the server told me there was an underground garage after we sat down. I chose this place to have a business dinner with my consultant and while the meeting went well, I realized that we were starting to look like many of the couples enjoying a romantic evening so this place is great if you want to take your significant other out for a nice evening (the lights auto-dimmed as the sun went down so it emulated a candle-lit environment). It would be also good for graduation/celebration parties.Special Features:
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/14/2014Great food, great service, great ambiance. The best part are the tapas. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Consistently good!!WendyTDined on 6/6/2014Varied menu with something for everyone! Great service and enjoyable ambiance! Love it every time!Special Features:
- Tough evening out!disappointedgirlDined on 6/5/2014The centerpiece in the dining room is glass spheres of many colors. Said spheres are sorely in need of a bath! The service was glacial rather than slow. It took 3 requests for our table to be provided with steak knives. We were eating steak and lamb chops! The 'computer' couldn't figure out the bill. At around 8 p.m. the lights were dimmed drastically. It was difficult to see the fat on my lamb chop! Sammy is known for his fine staff training and excellent service in his restaurants. He needs to spend more time at Roppongi!Special Features:
- Exceptional service!OzfoodieDined on 5/24/2014My wife and I were celebrating our wedding anniversary and had casually mentioned this when booking. The staff were amazing. Everyone went out of their way to make this a memorable night. The food was great, the ambience good but the service was exceptional. Can't recommend this place highly enough.Special Features:
- The following 731 reviews are from the Roppongi reviews archive.
- 4atreat4atreatDined on 5/12/2014I just love this place. The service is attentive with a short wait for a glass of wine before ordering a meal. The tapas menu is just delightful. There is something for every palette. I adore the crab stack, the tofu wrap, the french fries and the beet salad. There are plenty of options. In addition, the seating is very comfortable. The bar area has generous booths, the dining room has a gracious atmosphere and the outdoor area is always a joy. The desserts are real desserts and can be shared; they are more than ample. Make a reservation. Sip, eat and enjoy conversation in a sophisticated comfortable environment..........Special Features:
- RoppongiOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014Everything was excellent except this was the 1st time the Crab Stack was bland :(Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fusion FavouriteLenMDined on 5/4/2014This is a favourite spot of ours in La Jolla, CA and it did not disappoint on this occasion. Asian Fusion is the theme and it really works here. Their happy hour (4:00 to 6:00 p.m.) is very popular. Drinks and tapas are half price. We booked a table for 7:00 p.m. and ordered from the regular menu. Our server was courteous and helpful and readily agreed to split an entree of lamb chops. That and a crab stack salad from their tapas menu made a delicious meal for two. We will be back.Special Features:
- DeliciousSDFoodLoverDined on 5/3/2014Had a great time at Roppongi. Food was delicious, service was great, drinks were perfect. Try the Tofu lettuce wraps and hummus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fresh and inviting placeOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 4/20/2014Roppongi never fails to impress. Friendly, smiling service (Melissa was so great with our kids during easter brunch!), lengthy menu with many interesting choices - especially among the tapas. An old standby that we will return to again and again.....there is a reason this restaurant is still around after many years.Special Features:
- A Favorite !4atreatDined on 4/18/2014I recommend this restaurant to all friends and visitors. This is my go-to place when I have company. Enjoy the ambiance, the service and of course the food............Have fun !Special Features:
- Great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/4/2014This restaurant is a must for sushi as well as other fare! I haven't tried their Sunday brunch yet, but will do so soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good for groupsansuirenDined on 4/1/2014Our table was little too close to the other group. dishes were "American-Japanese". We enjoyed but some of the member expected more Japanese like dishes.Special Features:
- We were pleased to revisitRonnieVIPDined on 3/31/2014We were pleased to revisit this restaurant after having been there nearly 10 years ago. It was much calmer on this weeknight so we had a much more enjoyable experience. The Asian fusion cuisine was great, and we enjoyed several appetizers and two great seafood dishes -- a scallops platter and a mahi mahi -- that were both wonderful. Coconut gelato was the perfect ending treat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.