La Jolla, CA 92037Neighborhood:
La Jolla / Golden Triangle
AsianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.roppongiusa.com/
- Phone: 858-551-5252x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 4:00 pm - 9:00 pm | Friday & Saturday: 4:00 pm - 9:30pm
Tapas in the Covered Patio, Bar & Lounge Area only
First Come, First Served Basis, no reservations.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Asian, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Alfie Szeprethy
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Roppongi Catering, contact Ron or Jason @ (858)551-5252 or email@example.com
- Private Party Facilities: Large parties of 15 or more are offered pre-set dining options.
- Private Party Contact: Jason Melville 8585515252x
- Special Events: Pre-set menu options available for parties of 12 or more.
Private parties can be accommodated in one of the following spaces:
The Buddha Room (maximum of 32 seated)
The Covered Patio (maximum of 60 seated)
Firepit Patio (maximum of 40 seated/ 80 cocktail-style)
A word from Roppongi
Located on Prospect Street in downtown La Jolla, it’s obvious why Roppongi Restaurant & Sushi Bar was named a “World’s Top Restaurant” by Zagat Survey and is a recipient of Wine Spectator’s “Award of Excellence.” Roppongi’s bold menu invites guests to share dishes and try a mélange of flavors in a relaxed, upscale and intimate setting in one of San Diego’s finest neighborhoods.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Roppongi reviews from OpenTable diners
68 reviews since April 1 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (36)special occasion (31)great for outdoor dining (29)good for groups (28)neighborhood gem (28)romantic (26)hot spot (13)great for lunch (12)kid-friendly (9)great for brunch (9)vibrant bar scene (8)late-night find (5)notable wine list (4)scenic view (2)Show More
- FavoriteSallyMacDined on 7/24/2014We usually suggest Roppongi to friends for a casual birthday celebration because of the special "messy sundae", as well as the chance to experience so many different dishes with the extensive and superb appetizer menu. Out of towners always like it as well for the inventive menu. It is almost invariably satisfactory.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/19/2014Scorched soy sauce was the cooking theme, the food lacked flavor of its own. Had to send back spoiled crab (which they graciously dot not charge for). Sushi below average freshness. Seated promptly, service was attentive but the kitchen was very, very slow.
- 122kathymacDined on 7/19/2014The food was good and lots of fun to share. We sat in the bar and it was fun fun and lively. The food was served quickly. However , we ordered a bottle of wine and that didn't come until we were finished with the meal. We asked our server twice after we ordered the wine, another server once, the busboy and the manager . After finishing our food we stopped the server again and again mentioned the wine and the fact it had never come. He didn't apologize just brought the wine ,that we no longer wanted.
- Excellent foodlovethePlaceDined on 7/19/2014We highly recommend this place for the delicious food, the wonderful atmosphere on the patio, and the service was excellent. The table settings are formal, but you can go from casual dress to formal and feel comfortable here. We ate at several local restaurants while visiting La Jolla and this was the most delicious food by far! The place is also a great nightlife spot.Special Features:
- Poor Service - It has been bettersddinerDined on 7/11/2014Extremely poor service - no waiter at the table for 25 mins. We had to make 3 different requests for a waiter. Rude and un-interested hostess and manager. There was no courtesy apology or even a walk by the table trying to explain the situation. We have been here many times before and have never had such a terrible experience. We would like to file this away as an "off night" and will give this place another shot. The food was great - as always.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique and funLuvgoodfoodVIPDined on 7/10/2014The menu challenged us to experience new flavors. The waitstaff was very helpful in guiding us to new food selections we could be comfortable experiencing. This is obviously one of La Jolla's shining dining venues.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Downtown La Jolla gempickydinerDined on 7/8/2014Tapas were great for sharing. Interesting flavors. Service good.Special Features:
- DisappointingCindyVIPDined on 7/5/2014There were four of us for dinner, first time here, but no one enjoyed their meal. The server said one of the dishes was very spicy so my friend ordered something else that ended up being very spicy. I had the lamb chops which were tiny, tough and fatty. The server never came by to check on how we liked our meals, so no one complained.
- PaulDined on 7/1/2014Scallops were cold & tuff. In general portions were small and un imaginative.
- Sushi / Sashimi at its Bestlive2eatDined on 6/27/2014We have enjoyed Roppongi many times on visits to La La Jolla as never come that we don't find a night to eat there. Their specialty rolls are outstanding, and we really enjoyed their tapas additions (the calamari [not fried!] was fabulous and were the onion rings and papadums). Everything they do they do well.Special Features:
- Consistent quality over the yearsMillvalleymomDined on 6/15/2014We eat here when we visit my daughter at UCSD. Great place to take a group and share small plates, sliders and rolls. Favorite this time was miso eggplant but all quite goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid sushi jointHulkBusterMarkIDined on 6/15/2014The Good - Great food, fantastic ambiance, relatively quieter than other sushi places, prompt and courteous wait staff. The Bad - Sushi prices were little more expensive than other places, only found street parking until the server told me there was an underground garage after we sat down. I chose this place to have a business dinner with my consultant and while the meeting went well, I realized that we were starting to look like many of the couples enjoying a romantic evening so this place is great if you want to take your significant other out for a nice evening (the lights auto-dimmed as the sun went down so it emulated a candle-lit environment). It would be also good for graduation/celebration parties.Special Features:
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/14/2014Great food, great service, great ambiance. The best part are the tapas. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Consistently good!!WendyTDined on 6/6/2014Varied menu with something for everyone! Great service and enjoyable ambiance! Love it every time!Special Features:
- Tough evening out!disappointedgirlDined on 6/5/2014The centerpiece in the dining room is glass spheres of many colors. Said spheres are sorely in need of a bath! The service was glacial rather than slow. It took 3 requests for our table to be provided with steak knives. We were eating steak and lamb chops! The 'computer' couldn't figure out the bill. At around 8 p.m. the lights were dimmed drastically. It was difficult to see the fat on my lamb chop! Sammy is known for his fine staff training and excellent service in his restaurants. He needs to spend more time at Roppongi!Special Features:
- Exceptional service!OzfoodieDined on 5/24/2014My wife and I were celebrating our wedding anniversary and had casually mentioned this when booking. The staff were amazing. Everyone went out of their way to make this a memorable night. The food was great, the ambience good but the service was exceptional. Can't recommend this place highly enough.Special Features:
- 4atreat4atreatDined on 5/12/2014I just love this place. The service is attentive with a short wait for a glass of wine before ordering a meal. The tapas menu is just delightful. There is something for every palette. I adore the crab stack, the tofu wrap, the french fries and the beet salad. There are plenty of options. In addition, the seating is very comfortable. The bar area has generous booths, the dining room has a gracious atmosphere and the outdoor area is always a joy. The desserts are real desserts and can be shared; they are more than ample. Make a reservation. Sip, eat and enjoy conversation in a sophisticated comfortable environment..........Special Features:
- RoppongiOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014Everything was excellent except this was the 1st time the Crab Stack was bland :(Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fusion FavouriteLenMDined on 5/4/2014This is a favourite spot of ours in La Jolla, CA and it did not disappoint on this occasion. Asian Fusion is the theme and it really works here. Their happy hour (4:00 to 6:00 p.m.) is very popular. Drinks and tapas are half price. We booked a table for 7:00 p.m. and ordered from the regular menu. Our server was courteous and helpful and readily agreed to split an entree of lamb chops. That and a crab stack salad from their tapas menu made a delicious meal for two. We will be back.Special Features:
- DeliciousSDFoodLoverDined on 5/3/2014Had a great time at Roppongi. Food was delicious, service was great, drinks were perfect. Try the Tofu lettuce wraps and hummus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fresh and inviting placeOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 4/20/2014Roppongi never fails to impress. Friendly, smiling service (Melissa was so great with our kids during easter brunch!), lengthy menu with many interesting choices - especially among the tapas. An old standby that we will return to again and again.....there is a reason this restaurant is still around after many years.Special Features:
- A Favorite !4atreatDined on 4/18/2014I recommend this restaurant to all friends and visitors. This is my go-to place when I have company. Enjoy the ambiance, the service and of course the food............Have fun !Special Features:
- Great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/4/2014This restaurant is a must for sushi as well as other fare! I haven't tried their Sunday brunch yet, but will do so soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good for groupsansuirenDined on 4/1/2014Our table was little too close to the other group. dishes were "American-Japanese". We enjoyed but some of the member expected more Japanese like dishes.Special Features:
- The following 723 reviews are from the Roppongi reviews archive.
- We were pleased to revisitRonnieVIPDined on 3/31/2014We were pleased to revisit this restaurant after having been there nearly 10 years ago. It was much calmer on this weeknight so we had a much more enjoyable experience. The Asian fusion cuisine was great, and we enjoyed several appetizers and two great seafood dishes -- a scallops platter and a mahi mahi -- that were both wonderful. Coconut gelato was the perfect ending treat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, outstanding servicegoodfood4everDined on 3/30/2014We came here for the fusion tapas. Fabulous food, generous servings. Jessica was an excellent server - attentive, professional and friendly.Special Features:
- RoppongiOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/21/2014The food was very good. The service was a little questionable at times. The waiter actually put my used knife on the table after appetizers, indicating that I could keep it for the main course. When he returned with the entrees, I had to give it back to him and ask for a new knife. Surroundings were very nice and comfortable.Special Features:
- better this timejjelDined on 3/17/2014We were at Roppongi during the summer and the service was terrible. This time the service was excellent. The food was good to very good. Appetizers were ok but main courses very tasty. Dessert was fun-6 little ice cream cones that were just enough to end the meal with something sweet.
- Tapas, Sushi and DinnerDonDonDined on 3/15/2014A definite each and every time in LaJolla at least once if not multiple times. NEVER disappointed; always great service and great food. Try the Keifer cheese; will have nothing life it anywhere else! Desk people a bit arrogrant and taken with themselves; but, waitstaff and food far outweighs them!!!Special Features:
- Fantasticc8bellDined on 3/8/2014Yummy food, outstanding service. Don't miss the Tahitian Bananas dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not to be missedGaryVIPDined on 3/1/2014We had outstanding food and service. The menu was unusual, challenging, and just an overall fun experience. There was not a weak spot from start to finish. There was just the two of us. It would have been even better with more to share the many interesting dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable eveningMikeVIPDined on 2/24/2014We had a nice quiet booth consistent with our request. Food was good as was the service. A nice evening for a celebration of my wife's birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We left Roppongi a littleJoeMac27VIPDined on 2/23/2014We left Roppongi a little underwhelmed. The Ahi, onion rings and Hamachi were tasty (though the sauce on the Hamachi was a little sweet). Our waiter was very nice and professional, but on a slow Sunday at mid-afternoon things took a while to come out, even the glasses of wine. They were out of the fig salad and, while we're fans of their farm-to-table ideals, as this was one their 2 signature salads we feel we should have been told this ahead of time. The "steak on a rock" was neat, if a little gimmicky, but the lobster club was long on bread and short on lobster meat. In the end, everything was good, but that's about it, and after all the rave reviews I read (and considering they're in notoriously picky La Jolla) we expected to be wowed.Special Features:
- decenttravisDined on 2/22/2014Waiter was very friendly but brought out appetizer portion of scallops when I ordered entree. Maybe he was confused since my date only ordered edamame, but I thought I was pretty clear. Scallops were very tasty though. I ended up ordering a couple more appetizers and it turned into a happy hour style meal. Overall decent, not sure I would go back though. Pretty average dining experience.
- Roppongi reviewlucyDined on 2/20/2014The service at Roppongi on February 20 was appalling, the worst I have experienced in a long time. There were lengthy delays at every stage of the experience, including a protracted wait to receive the bill. There were three of us dining, and we ordered one appetizer and four sushi items. Nothing ordered required cooking. My biggest regret is that I left the server a tip, albeit barely 10%. The restaurant was not busy and did appear to be adequately staffed. I will not return to Roppongi - ever - and hope to have the opportunity to pass my opinion along to prospective diners. How lucky I feel to have been asked to comment on this experience.
- Great Food!HotRod1Dined on 2/15/2014Excellent menu with care of preparation and plating. Highly recommended for taste and selection from the Topas to the desert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentines Daydkbuchter01Dined on 2/14/2014Had a fantastic meal. Was a little cold in the evening on the patio, but that was to be expected by the beach this Tim of year. Just dress accordingly. Would definitely return. Duck Quesadilla was out of this world!! My fiancé was very happy with this choice in restaurant.Special Features:
- Solid V-day ChoicefrequentflierDined on 2/14/2014Roppongi has never disappointed me. We booked for an early Valentine's Day dinner. Busy but not a crowd. We sat inside rather than on the outdoor patio or the 'walled in' patio. We asked our server to leave the menu because it would be an evening of slow 'noshing' rather than the 3-course V-dinner. Everyone on the waitstaff was polished and kept an eye on us to anticipate our needs before we had to speak up. Sushi was superb, filet was cooked as ordered, and the hot rock stayed hot long enough for a leisurely dining pace. The only flaw: it's always a bit hard to see the fish in the big salt water tank because they hang out in the rocks on the edges.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great variety of tastesDFJGDined on 2/12/2014Nothing boring about the menu or the preparation. Fresh and very well delivered.Special Features:
- Amazing TapasAndsDined on 2/8/2014For those who love the seafood tapas, this is a great option EVER!!!! Try all of them! It is sooooo worth!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.