La Jolla, CA 92037Neighborhood:
La Jolla / Golden Triangle
AsianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.roppongiusa.com/
- Phone: (858) 551-5252
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 4:00 pm - 9:00 pm | Friday & Saturday: 4:00 pm - 9:30pm
Tapas in the Covered Patio, Bar & Lounge Area only
First Come, First Served Basis, no reservations.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Asian, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Alfie Szeprethy
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Roppongi Catering, contact Ron or Jason @ (858)551-5252 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Private Party Facilities: Large parties of 15 or more are offered pre-set dining options.
- Private Party Contact: Jason Melville 8585515252x
- Special Events: Pre-set menu options available for parties of 12 or more.
Private parties can be accommodated in one of the following spaces:
The Buddha Room (maximum of 32 seated)
The Covered Patio (maximum of 60 seated)
Firepit Patio (maximum of 40 seated/ 80 cocktail-style)
A word from Roppongi
Located on Prospect Street in downtown La Jolla, it’s obvious why Roppongi Restaurant & Sushi Bar was named a “World’s Top Restaurant” by Zagat Survey and is a recipient of Wine Spectator’s “Award of Excellence.” Roppongi’s bold menu invites guests to share dishes and try a mélange of flavors in a relaxed, upscale and intimate setting in one of San Diego’s finest neighborhoods.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Roppongi reviews from OpenTable diners
78 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (35)special occasion (33)fit for foodies (32)neighborhood gem (30)romantic (28)good for groups (26)hot spot (9)late-night find (8)notable wine list (6)great for lunch (5)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (3)vibrant bar scene (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Good Food, Bad ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/19/2014My wife and I go out once a week for date night. We look forward to it as a way to get some uninterrupted time away from our three young kids. So we have seen a wide variety of restaurants. We have loved Roppongi in the past. Great food. But when it takes 10 minutes to get a drink order, you don't meet your waiter for another 10 and then three different people are tending to your table? I don't know what was going on, but it's frustrating trying to enjoy a night out when you're constantly looking for your waiter, but only get the guy refilling your water. We shouldn't have to ask for another drink, it should be recognized by your waiter before your glass is empty for five minutes. The restaurant wasn't even that busy. The manager came up in the end (after I had to take my credit card up to the hostess area to pay) and seemed shocked that we weren't happy with our experience. This after he came up earlier and apologized that things were taking too long.
- Good interest menuSnowbirdVIPDined on 11/18/2014It's one of the spots I like to go to with family and friends because the tapas are yummy and it's fun to share. Their main courses are also very good so that works well for those in our group who want a full meal to themselves.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was bellow our expectationsOgtayDined on 11/16/2014Waiter took our orders. When he brought our food one of our friends fid not revived his food because waiter forgot to write his order. Never apologized. When one of our friends ordered tea , she never received her tea. When 20 min later she still did not received her tea she said that she doesn't want it anymore. Waiter reply was ok. Never apologized for forgetting her tea . Waiter was not attentive at all. Probably the wires service I have seen in the long time .Special Features:
- Generally a great spot. . .DonDonDined on 11/14/2014Off this night; except for their longstanding Keifer Cheese! If you go there you MUST have their Keifer Cheese; it is incredible and absolutely outstanding as are the lettuce wraps. However, this night the Chicken and a beef dish as totally off. The shrimp lo mein was salty with too much sauce. They redid the chicken twice and each time it did not come out good. First time the chicken was dried out, the second time the chicken was tough. Sadly, the hostess was indifferent which did not help the situation. Neither of two people are ever difficult so for them her attitude was surprising. Our waiter was outstanding and felt awful and wished he could do something to make it right. Surprising as generally Rogongi's is generally excellent with outstanding food! Perhaps there is a new chef?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good until I gave them a couponDineOutDivasVIPDined on 11/14/2014The waiter was so nice ---we were a mother daughter party --- until we gave him our 20% off coupon. Then we were personas non grata!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is Excellent!AnnetteDined on 11/9/2014Sammie maintains his quality of food with Roppongi's! We ate there for my daughter-in-laws birthday last Sunday. The Ambiance and food was fabulous! The only thing lacking was the service, which may have been due to a skeleton crew. It took one hour to receive our first menu item, and another 2 hours before finishing. The manager actually had to step in (bravo) to help the servers out with the delivery of items. Everyone was very nice and did not seem rushed or distressed in any way with the food being late.Special Features:
- Food danced in my moutheye84starDined on 11/8/2014The crab tower with mangos and avocados and about 6 other things with the grilled olive oil drizzled toasted points was a dish full of color. It's combo of favors combined to create a distinct yet perfect balance of happiness in my tummy!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SandieganDined on 11/1/2014Excellent food and very romantic atmosphere. Extremely friendly staff.Special Features:
- Rushed!!WayneDined on 11/1/2014We were rushed through our dinner with the food served before we finished our drinks.
- Great placeMartyVIPDined on 10/31/2014Never disappointed with the food, service, and ambiance here. Very attentive with out coming by too much. Staff is always smiling. They make you glad you made a reservation there.Special Features:
- Good But Expected BetterTravelsAlotRealistDined on 10/29/2014Good service and an amiable staff. Tapas were tasty but I expected better sushi. It wasn't bad, but very average.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I have always relished the 1/2 price tapas!!bonnieblueDined on 10/29/2014In the past I have thoroughly enjoyed the many choices of tapas but this time my gal pal and I only enjoyed 2 out of the 4 we got so 1/2 price was not a bargain and the amount of food is either getting smaller or I have forgotten how small the tapas are. The Miso Glazed Japanese Eggplant was very bitter and the Crispy Pork Gyoza was overwhelmed by the mustard sauce but no taste without it. The Kefir cheese is good and always used as a filler and without the great taste of the other dishes lost a bit of its appeal also. Will state we were pleased by the Crispy Potstickers or the meal would have been a real dud. If I had paid full price for any of the above it would have been a real disappointment. Still do love the outdoor setting and service is certainly pleasant but I guess I have done the tapas thing at Roppongis. I am sadly not salivating about them anymore.
- Pleasant mealKellyTDined on 10/25/2014My husband and I have been to Rappongi a number of times. It is always a very pleasant experience. However, their most recent menu change has removed vegetarian items from their menu. It was nice, though, to see that they have listed gluten-free items on their menu - there just isn't enough vegetarian gluten-free. Service is usually decent though.Special Features:
- Consistently Good.RestlessTravelerDined on 10/19/2014I have been to the Roppongi for years. The food was always delicious and the portion is decent. The service is attentive yet not annoying. Just right. Excellent wines available. Highly recommend! The price of main dishes could be a bit lower though.Special Features:
- VisitorVisitorDined on 10/15/2014Since our first visit 2 years ago this place has deteriorated and become a mediocre overpriced restaurant. I invited a friend for dinner and was embarrassed
- Food for sharingOliveOylDined on 10/11/2014Liked the round tables. We were 7 and it worked well for talking and sharing dishes. A little loud but a busy Saturday night. Food was tasty.Special Features:
- StashDined on 10/6/2014Great dining experience, good service, good food selectionSpecial Features:
- Lovely and RomanticGreatFoodDined on 10/4/2014Roppongi is a wonderful spot with delicious food and very good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SallyMacDined on 9/25/2014Food served promptly and very tasty. When we had finished and wanted after-dinner capuchinos, it all fell apart: terrible service, they arrived cool after a ridiculously long wait, and server appeared to just disappear because we didn't order any alcohol.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Less Popular But Still LovelyOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/19/2014After an amazing meal three years ago, I feared we would lose our reservation du to overwhelming traffic. No problem. The restaurant was sadly missing the customers. We had a very good meal. The Tom Kha was very fresh and the Crab Stack was mighty fine. I understand many dishes change to keep the menu fresh but I missed the Tokyo Rose cocktail.Special Features:
- Great tapas at happy hour.LoveLNOsDined on 9/19/2014I went there with my friends for Happy hour. We ordered drinks with a lot of tapas. I did not like my watermelon Aqua Fresca. It tasted basically just like watermelon with tequila. We liked almost everything except the beef on the hot rock that was a little chewy, and the Indian crunchy thin bread, papadam was just meh. It was funny that our waiter told us that we were 16 cents short on an 18% tip. I just handed him a dollar. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JannyVIPDined on 9/14/2014The service is usually impeccable. On this occasion, however, it seemed more indifferent.Special Features:
- Return visitKarenDined on 9/12/2014Very disappointed in Roppongi's after not visiting it in 6 years-- and we frequented it a lot when we lived in La Jolla. Albacore entree was over cooked, stir fry vegetables wilted, accompanying sauce was bland. Buttermilk onion rings had been vastly reduced in size, yet the price was the same. Sorry to say we won't return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Great Meal at RoppongimarkVIPDined on 9/11/2014The food and service, as usual now, was great. Good menu and daily specials add to the choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great varietySashimiandmeatDined on 9/6/2014Great food - Korean Short Ribs Awesome - Sashimi Awesome - Everything AwesomeSpecial Features:
- Desserts outshine the dinnerIeatfoodDined on 9/4/2014The desserts here are outstanding. The food is good, but is overpriced in my opinion. Went on a weeknight. The place was pretty dead, but the service was still very slow. Saw staff keeping busy, but not with the customers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DownhillFoodfunDined on 8/31/2014Used to be a great place, now just catering to tourists. Service was bad (the sushi was served last, after our entree). Steak was not good, prices of entrees are through the roof. Too bad.
- Poor food and service in rich areaLovetoeatoutDined on 8/29/20142 years ago we ate at Roppongi there was hair in our food. Gagging. We decided to try it again. It took over 50 minutes to get our food. After 1/2 hour, I asked for bread since it was getting late. We were about leave when the food came. The soup was old and stale. They used water to attempt to revive it. The food and sushi was average and sad. The bread finally came after the food. Too long. We could not wait to leave.
- Very good service Food so so for $$MarkAndKarriDined on 8/23/2014We had Dinner at Roppongi on Saturday night and the service was excellent but the food was wanting more for the price. We started with the Pot Stickers and Tom Kha soup they where very tasty & unique. My wife had the Albacore Tuna with pasta which she did not like. She prefers flaky type fish. I tried some of her meal and thought the fish was very good but the over all dish was missing something. I had the Lamb Chops and was good but a little too much char from the grill marks. The Manager did offer us a free Coffee and Deserts as we stated the food was so so. And the Tahiti Banana and Ice cream was Excellent. If we did not have the Desert I would of gave the food a 2 but the desert pushed my rating to a 3.Special Features:
- Consistently great!WendyTDined on 8/23/2014Love this Cohn family restaurant for its cozy ambiance, great service, unique and delicious menu! We also used our Passport dining card to save on an entree! This restaurant is my daughter's favorite place to eat in San Diego - perfect for a family dinner or when friends come to town and want great California cuisine!Special Features:
- Crab stack outstandingAceOneDined on 8/22/2014Food was great as always. Crab stack was excellentSpecial Features:
- Was Delightful!PJDineDined on 8/17/2014Was in town for a long weekend getaway and had a great experience. Good attention by the staff, attentive but not hovering and the food and ambiance met our expectations. Will return again.Special Features:
- Better than the last timeBFBSDVIPDined on 8/16/2014Formerly we were fairly regular customers but we had stopped dining at Roppongi when they changed their Tapas menu and the quality dipped. Recently we went back and the quality has ratcheted up. I'd give it 4 stars instead of three except they continue to serve potato chips with the chicken satay and not only do they look cheap on the plate but they don't go with the dish. Formerly they served some very thin string-like potatoes which were much better. We had 5 different tapas and enjoyed them but the pot stickers were the least successful and not really pot stickers -- more like standard dumplings. At happy hour in the bar area, the tapas are half-price and a good deal...otherwise the value proposition isn't that great.Special Features:
- Great food, "meh" serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/10/2014We've always loved the food at Roppongi, so we were excited to bring my parents and in-laws for a special family dinner. Our server started off great, very patient and helpful, but after our food came, we hardly saw him again. My father asked several times for a tea refill, but never got it, and we had to go up to the hostess station to ask for our bill, and again to pay.Special Features:
- Extremely EnjoyablewebefineDined on 8/7/2014we went there with another couple for a Simi Wine Dinner. The head chief paired each dish with a Simi Wine and introduced each course to explain it. It is amazing how the wines enhanced the food and visa versa. We have been to Roppongi many times, always enjoyable but this was fantastic!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DJ ThursdayMtbikejohnVIPDined on 7/31/2014We've eaten at Roppongi many times. This was the first time sitting outside. It happened to be Thursday, DJ night, happy hour drink prices all night. We all enjoyed the hip music, the DJ made it extra fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 747 reviews are from the Roppongi reviews archive.
- FavoriteSallyMacDined on 7/24/2014We usually suggest Roppongi to friends for a casual birthday celebration because of the special "messy sundae", as well as the chance to experience so many different dishes with the extensive and superb appetizer menu. Out of towners always like it as well for the inventive menu. It is almost invariably satisfactory.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/19/2014Scorched soy sauce was the cooking theme, the food lacked flavor of its own. Had to send back spoiled crab (which they graciously dot not charge for). Sushi below average freshness. Seated promptly, service was attentive but the kitchen was very, very slow.
- 122kathymacDined on 7/19/2014The food was good and lots of fun to share. We sat in the bar and it was fun fun and lively. The food was served quickly. However , we ordered a bottle of wine and that didn't come until we were finished with the meal. We asked our server twice after we ordered the wine, another server once, the busboy and the manager . After finishing our food we stopped the server again and again mentioned the wine and the fact it had never come. He didn't apologize just brought the wine ,that we no longer wanted.
- Excellent foodlovethePlaceDined on 7/19/2014We highly recommend this place for the delicious food, the wonderful atmosphere on the patio, and the service was excellent. The table settings are formal, but you can go from casual dress to formal and feel comfortable here. We ate at several local restaurants while visiting La Jolla and this was the most delicious food by far! The place is also a great nightlife spot.Special Features: