466 Bush Street
San Francisco, CA 94108Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.therootsrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (415) 659-0349
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast Monday- Friday 6am-10am Saturday & Sundays 7am-11am Dinner Monday - Sunday 5pm-9pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Garret Martindail
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Roots is a small casually elegant restaurant located in the Orchard Garden Hotel next to the Financial District and Union Square. Our private dining and events spaces are perfect for business meetings, group dinners and private events.
- Private Party Contact: Michael Lavery 8773553074
- Special Events: Executive Boardroom available for 20-25 people.
A word from Roots
Roots is a small, casually elegant restaurant located in the Orchard Garden Hotel, perfect for private business lunches, pre-theater appetizers or romantic dinners. We proudly serve contemporary American cuisine. We are committed to high quality by featuring only local produce, naturally raised meats, and sustainable seafood. The soft décor - fresh green and buttery yellow - ensures a soothing dining experience. The Orchard Garden Hotel is the Golden State’s first hotel built to the nationally accepted LEED standards for green buildings developed by the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC).Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Roots reviews from OpenTable diners
1 reviews since April 24, 2014
- Ambiance1Noise LevelQuiet
- Accepted reservation but was closedSte0703Dined on 6/30/2014Enough said. Did not appreciate the walk there to only find it closed. Bad communication.
- Hugely DisappointingLotsobotsDined on 1/17/2014Based on reviews here and on yelp I expected a much much much better experience. Basically sitting in the lobby of the hotel. I felt like I was eating in the cafe at the Hilton Garden Inn. The prix fixe Asian curry dinner (my companion and I both orders it) was fine but the server (after ignoring me for the first 10 minutes after I came in) brought all of the dishes at once and there was no way to fit them all on the table for two! The curry was bland and uninspiring, the spring rolls like you'd get from the frozen section of the supermarket, wonton soup also nearly flavorless. I really felt badly since I had made the reservation for dinner for me and my colleague. How disappointing in a city with so much great food!
- DisappointingCsfaDined on 10/16/2012I went there for lunch soon after Roots first opened and it was fantastic. This time I took my two out-of-town friends there and it was horrible. The originality was gone, and all of our 3 entrees were extremely salty almost to the point of inedible. More surprising is that we were the only guests there... I was quite embarrassed to have taken my friends to Roots. Unless something changes over there, we will not be going back...
- Food was very good, staffOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/14/2012Food was very good, staff was attentive, decor was nice - BUT restaurant was empty. This fact did not affect the quality of the food - still fresh and definitely cooked to order.
- I don't see any other customersBKNGDined on 8/1/2012I don't see any other customers when I went inside at 7:15pm. The wine doesn't taste fresh.I seems partly oxidized. The food is too salty thought it said it is organic.Special Features:
- There was us... and one personkealamamaDined on 7/19/2012There was us... and one person at the bar. The place was EMPTY! Had I not found this place on Open Table I would not have gone there. BUT the food was very good- the truffle fries were GREAT and the portion sizes were fair. It's too bad more people don't come here- the food is worth going. Being the only people in the restaurant though... that makes it a little uncomfortable.
- Vegetarian friendly!OiseauBleuDined on 7/11/2012Created delicious asparagus pizza instead of pepperoni.Thanks!Special Features:
- We were the only diners inOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/22/2012We were the only diners in the restaurant, so it was very quiet but lacking positive energy. The service was very attentive, but the food was only average.
- Food was very good, but weAnniversary35VIPDined on 3/12/2012Food was very good, but we were the only people who ate at the restaurant. The ambiance is mediocre, it is basically like they took half of the hotel lobby, put in some booths and a bar and called it done. But, despite a very short menu, the food was good and the service attentive and personable.
- Bartender/ waitress appearedOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 2/15/2012Bartender/ waitress appeared to be sleeping. Chef had to find her to give us our entree. We were the only ones in the restaurant
- This place is too bright,OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/23/2012This place is too bright, and was unprepared for dine about town questions. The seerver was over worked, and the chef was out that night. I won't be going back.
- The Estonian lady who servedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/7/2012The Estonian lady who served us seemed nice enough. That all changed drastically at payment time. She offered me a bill, which turned out bogus. Roots already adds a large tip automatically. This was not shown on my bill handed to me. I had to ask for the line item billing which revealed what was really going on. The Estonian girl did not blink an eye or show any guilt for being caught red-handed. If I had paid the tip on the original bill she would have received a double-tip and a large amount it would be!! Why the lying to make extra money. And her lack of interest or care in being caught. Stay away from this rip-off place.
- I root for RootsAnniversaryDinerDined on 1/6/2012This was our second time dining at Roots. Both visits were equally pleasing and the food was delicious, satisfying and unique. We had the ginger lollipop chicken appetizer which was very good. The short ribs were delectable, and the rib eye steak was also tops. The kobe burger with fries was a pleaser, the fries worth going back for. Great care is taken in preparation of all the dishes. We love dining at Roots for the quiet atmosphere and romantic ambience. You would not believe how clean it is-- the rest rooms are exceptionally nice too!Special Features:
- Roots is the perfect respiteDaveVIPDined on 12/29/2011Roots is the perfect respite from the often crowded and noisy restaurant scene in SF. Our server was professional and friendly and although our first wine selection was not available, we agreed to a more expensive substitute which turned out to be a wonderful CA zinfandel at no additional cost. My wife and I shared an arugula salad which had the freshest ingredients including cherry tomatoes and then enjoyed the Kobe cheeseburger and sauteed salmon as entrees. Each dish was prepared with care and served with impeccable timing.Special Features:
- Fussy but good.OpenTable Diner Since 2000Dined on 12/28/2011Too much is made of healthful approach, and the menu is too limited. But their kobe burger was delicious.
- Service is good, but place is DEAD!Diner45VIPDined on 12/17/2011#1 The food blew away what we were expecting. It was very good. The chef clearly knows what he's doing. The food was well prepared and the presentation was good. #2 Jason, who was the server/bartender, was attentive, good natured, and appropriate. His interaction with us was pleasurable. If there is a negative - it's about the fact that he was a bit like a one-armed wallpaper hanger. He had to do it all. He was tending bar, waiting tables, bussing tables, etc. He's a talented guy and I wonder if Roots realizes what they have in him. #3 The place was dead. There was one couple at the bar when we got there. They were replaced by one other couple 30 minutes in. There was NEVER anyone else dining at the restaurant. Ever!
- Our waiter, Jason, made theSkipVIPDined on 12/3/2011Our waiter, Jason, made the evening special and enjoyable.Special Features:
- i love the food and i willOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/5/2011i love the food and i will kip going there the salmon is so good and the every day special is so delicious lake steaks,see food soups,duck and some others i will recommendedSpecial Features:
- Loved all we had!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/17/2011Were pleasantly surprised of the quality and taste of the food! Ribs with Polenta and shaved asparagus were divine, the Kobe Beef burger just right, with a delicious combo of Aioli and zesty cheese, the French Fries hot and stringy. Congratulations to the Sous-Chef Darryl for elevating good ingredients to great food!Special Features:
- I think the place was busierOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/13/2011I think the place was busier than they expected because they seemed to be understaffed -- two people total at the front of the house to meet, greet and seat, bartend, and take orders and serve. I didn't even see a bus boy. So, it took a while to get our water and our orders taken. And I had to remind him to bring our wine after we were already served our salads. But, the food was really quite good. We both liked the Japanese Caesar salad. My salmon was perfectly prepared and yummy, and my husband's short ribs were tender and tasty. And the pot de creme was delightful as well -- not super special, but very satisfying. Also, sharing one appy, two entrees and one dessert -- was more than enough food for the two of us.
- Everything outstanding, exceptTravisDined on 10/12/2011Everything outstanding, except dishes were slow getting to our table, and not that servers were not trying. Food flavors and presentation was very satisfying when it finally got there.Special Features:
- Great "find"OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/12/2011We purchased a TravelZoo coupon for Roots, otherwise we would never have known about it. We dined there tonight and were more than satisfied. The food was terrific. We ordered Arugula salad with Meyer Lemon Vinaigrette & the Chicken Lollipops. Both were delicious. For entrees we ordered the Crispy Salmon & the Five-spice Short Ribs. The Salmon was perfectly done, moist and flaky. The short ribs were glazed & tender & served over polenta with an ample amount of jus. Simply outstanding. Dessert was the apple crisp and the pots de creme. Both were very enjoyable but perhaps not as memorable as the rest of the meal. The service by Jason was excellent. A suggestion: having bread available & an expanded wine offering. Highly recommendSpecial Features:
- NorCal MaryOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/10/2011The menu was very limited in general and then they were out of two of the main entrees. The food took FOREVER to arrive. The new manager was very nice, but overall very disappointing experience.
- Food is very tasty and fresh.Live2enjoyDined on 10/6/2011Food is very tasty and fresh. Portions were ok except the star items were tiny i.e Squid salad had only one tiny tenacle the size of a little finger. The Salmon entree portion is about half to a third the size of most restaurants. The atmosphere felt like a chain cafeteria/diner.Special Features:
- Roots serves the best appetizers!DavidVIPDined on 10/1/2011Great food! Great service! Food was tasty... appetizers were AMAZING!Special Features:
- Roots just OK, nice decor though.KhoiDined on 10/1/2011I can't tell what kind of cuisine but it appears to be Asian fusion. I had a Kobe burger, which was not very juicy. The starter dishes were OK (but the chicken lolly pops were greasy and salty). The Pinot Noir was very good though. Service was great; the waiter was attentive.Special Features:
- We had the Chinese short ribsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/27/2011We had the Chinese short ribs and the burger, both were delectable and melted in the mouth like butter. Most delicious food I've had in a long time, and the wine was exceptional as well. The service was perfect. I am definitely going back for more!Special Features:
- I purchased a Travelzoo specialchichiDined on 9/24/2011I purchased a Travelzoo special for this restaurant and had no idea what to expect. We were very pleasantly surprised. Upon arrival, we were pretty skeptical as the ambiance is pretty underwhelming but the waiter was amazing and the food was exceptional. We were surprised with the best amuse bouche ever, then moved on to the pizza of the day for our appetizer, salmon and kobe beef burger for main course and finished off with the apple cobbler. Everything was amazing.Special Features:
- under-ratedFoodie2VIPDined on 9/18/2011In a hotel so many people might overlook it. Not the best ambiance, but the food was really very good. Fresh local and seasonal ingredients are highlighted!
- Excellent food at most reasonableOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/13/2011Excellent food at most reasonable price. It is situated inside hotel but the chef turns out quite amazing food, nice presentation, good portions and sumptuous dessert. Waiter was very helpful and unpretentious.Special Features:
- Bad Food, Horrible ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/20/2011For a restaurant to require business casual attire and locally grown/organic food, I hoped for it to have great expectations- I was wrong and very disappointed. A couple of hours before the reservation I was informed that they were in the process of changing the menu, the chef, and that there were only 4 entrees and 5 appetizers. I stayed because I came all the way from San Jose. Complementary bread was hard and fries were full of oil, boyfriend's asparagus was salty, which made his stake salty on top of it being dry, my rice for the risotto were soggy and the color of the vegetables made the dish dull. The server made faces at our requests. We could have been a lot happier and satisfied serving ourselves this meal at a Whole Foods.Special Features:
- went for the dine about towneskargoDined on 6/14/2011went for the dine about town menu. slightly disappointed due to small changes from the web listed menu vs actual menu. still good... just wasn't wow.
- dont' miss thisOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/10/2011What a wonderful surprise! Elegant, gracious dining with a wonderful ambiance and superb, organic food. The service was unbeatable. We couldn't have been happier, and got a great deal from TravelZoo to boot.Special Features:
- Food was nice, but a bit saltyOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 6/8/2011Food was nice, but a bit salty for me, but did not mind. Layout of hotel entrace and restaurant needs improvement.
- The entrees, we had were good,randjsfoVIPDined on 6/2/2011The entrees, we had were good, Lamb Shank and Halibut. Adequate portions and good side dishes. out appetizers were not very good. We both had Crabcakes, they had a hard deep fried crust and no real Crab flavor. All in all, a decent hotel restaurant.
- wonderful organic food!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/30/2011wonderful organic food! knowledgeable waiters and waitresses
- We had an excellent meal withOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/29/2011We had an excellent meal with very friendly service.Special Features:
- Great place to enjoy for SF VisitOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/26/2011Excellent food. Organic meats/fish and locally grown veggies. Excellent combination of flavors with a very appelling presentation. Great wine selection. overall loved it.Special Features:
- Great organic food restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/19/2011One of the best organic food restaurants in San Francisco.Special Features:
- The food lacked flavor andOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/18/2011The food lacked flavor and diversity but I am willing to try again, service was great but there was only 2 other guests in the restaurant.