Roots The Restaurant
51 Wales St.
Rutland, VT 05701Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: $30 and under
Roots The Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.rootsrutland.com/
- Phone: 8027477414
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Sunday: 11:00am - 9:00pm Friday & Saturday: 11:00am - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Donald Billings
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Chef Donald Billings and staff are happy to cater private events. For more information please contact email@example.com
A word from Roots The Restaurant
Roots" mission is to create delicious food from fresh, local ingredients. Vermont offers an agricultural bounty of flavorful produce, meat, dairy and other food products that are staples of the Roots menu. Chef Donald Billings is committed to providing affordable meals from minimally processed, locally grown ingredients, including organic crops and humanely raised, pasture fed livestock. Chef Billings and Roots are proud to partner with local providers Boardman Hill Farm, Hathaway Farm, Woods Market, Blue Ledge Farm, Baba Louis Bakery and other smaller scale produce, dairy and maple syrup providers. Visit us at 51 Wales Street in downtown Rutland and enjoy a delicious, wholesome local meal made from the freshest Vermont products.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Roots The Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Rutland, VT ›
Roots The Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
32 reviews since April 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (24)neighborhood gem (18)special occasion (14)great for lunch (11)romantic (9)notable wine list (6)hot spot (5)good for groups (4)great for outdoor dining (2)vibrant bar scene (2)kid-friendly (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- True ProfessionalsActonDadVIPDined on 8/17/2014Every now and the. You visit a restaurant that raises the bar for others. Fresh, creative (though not pretentious) food served by some of the best staff I've experienced. Can't wait to find another excuse to visit Rutland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always enjoyable!golfergirlDined on 7/15/2014Each time I eat at Roots, I leave thinking how great the dining experience is. It's one of my favorites and never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/15/2014absolutely fantastic! Great service, great food, wonderful, wonderful. Will definitely return again when back in the area!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 89th Birthday CelebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/10/2014Had a wonderful meal...very attentive staff....great drinks!!!....all in all a memorable evening with our favorite "80 something" aunt & uncle. Even got the birthday boy to try the salmon app. (which was fantastic!)Special Features:
- A hidden treasure in Rutland!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/6/2014Once again we had a delicious meal at Roots! Making a reservation was a good idea. Our server was knowledgeable about the menu as well as the wines and desserts. She was extremely helpful but didn't hover. Using fresh local products helps area suppliers & makes for really flavorful meals. Great care is evident on every level. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/3/2014My favorite restaurant in the greater Rutland area. Great service and the food was deliciously fresh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!GingkoDined on 6/26/2014We shared the cheese plate and my friend had the kale salad, I had the beet salad & all were delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Any flaws add to its natural beautyTR26Dined on 6/17/2014OK. the downside first: the wait staff seemed butterfingered and kept dropping stuff--maybe I'm having that effect since this wasn't the only place where that's happened lately. I had issues with the way my food was plated, blueberry sauce going where it wasn't wanted. OK, those are the flaws. The plus side: staff was friendly and well-coordinated. They are, like much of western Vermont, devoted to locally sources ingredients, and they have some terrific local ingredients around here ! The menu is broad, with options like emu and duck. Dishes are prepared according to the highest standards of quality and creative cuisine. We genuinely enjoyed their special cocktails.Special Features:
- The perfect biteVtcpaDined on 6/10/2014Had another fabulous meal Service is always attentive and friendly The food is outstanding. Everything on the plate is perfectly balanced Tried chicken and gnocchi with fresh mozzarella and arugula and some divine sauce A little bit of everything on the plate was the perfect bite Can't wait to go backSpecial Features:
- Awesome and Well PricedNYCfoodmeDined on 6/8/2014Excellent food, a great wine list, top notch service, great ambiance, and all of it at a very reasonable price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, great menu choicesJoesDined on 5/21/2014Roots is a small, quiet, upscale yet casual neighborhood restaurant. Service was impeccable. Drinks and wine excellent. The menue has some very different choices. The crab filled puff appetizer was very tasty and good for two. My wife had the apple scallops, excellent. I tried the emu steak. This was a disappointment because to me it had no flavor, tasted like tofu. All the side were great and desert excellent. Worth a visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite restaurant in RutlandMungeretteDined on 5/14/2014Roots has an attentive staff, a delicious menu, and a wonderful atmosphere. I have food allergies, and the staff and chef(s) are always kind and attentive to ensure that my food is safe to eat. I always feel taken care of and truly valued as a customer by every person in the restaurant. The food is delicious, too, but the entire experience is enjoyable. Don't miss out on this wonderful establishment!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 179 reviews are from the Roots The Restaurant reviews archive.
- A Delicious FindJMarshYADined on 4/15/2014So glad that we chose this restaurant for a very nice, relaxed date. Menu was interesting and varied, and the food was delicious. Nice pairings of moderately priced wines with the entrees. Service was friendly, prompt, tuned-in (we wanted to linger over dinner and talk and not be rushed), upbeat and very positive. Thoroughly enjoyable dining experience and I will certainly come back to Roots again. A minor note was that the tables were a little close together, but comfortably apart from other diners. Lots of farm-fresh and local produce ingredients so the entrees were all savory and tasty. Wine list is evolving with a thoughtful list of choices from around the world. Definitely a great local gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gem in RutlandOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/10/2014My husband and I drive down from Burlington to eat at Roots. The food is consistently fantastic, the service impeccable. It's a small place so it gets a little loud. I am gluten-free and there are so many choices for me! Including a GF blueberry cobbler on the regular menu. I feel safe there and we will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Roots keeps improving withFood78Dined on 4/3/2014Roots keeps improving with time. I enjoy knowing the greater percentage of the menu is from local farmers. The only negative for me is the close proximity of neighboring tables. I would not want to go here for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top SpotNorcohDined on 3/18/2014Cretive menu, always interesting specials, cheerful, prompt service -- tables too close thus not a good place for private conversation or business lunch.Special Features:
- Roots to grow fromLinnyVIPDined on 3/2/2014First time here. We went because of great reviews & we wanted to try a new place on our annual visit to Killington. The atmosphere was above average, comfortable, attractive decor & background music at just the right volume- audible if you listened but unobtrusive, a pleasant change. The waitstaff was excellent. The menu was an interesting variety of cuisine; some novel items & some novel takes on more traditional dishes. The gnocchi with shrimp and sausage was great. Beet ravioli was very good- light in texture with a tasty cheese filling & though I'm sure many would disagree, overall more creamy/ cheesy than I prefer. The chicken which was optional, I would not include in the future. Overall very good & we plan to come back next year.
- A gemNJresidentDined on 3/2/2014I believe this is the best restaurant in the Rutland area, including Killington.Special Features:
- Great for many choicesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/27/2014I love coming back to Roots because the food, atmosphere,service is great. They're always able to make the customers feel special and adapt to their needs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- healthful taste consciousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/20/2014Great gluten free bread.Interesting selection of healthful food.Special Features:
- So disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/16/2014After calling Roots our "favorite" restaurant for the past two years, the most recent visits have been increasingly disappointing. This particular visit, each component of our experience was well below par. Very slow service, long gap between salads and entree, tiny portions and poorly cooked fish entrees. So disappointed because of many good meals here in the past.
- Always great. Uses all locallyCathyDined on 2/11/2014Always great. Uses all locally sourced products and describes the originSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful after the ParamountBelfast5348Dined on 1/26/2014We had a wonderful dinner after the 20th Anniversary concert by the Vermont Symphony Orchestra Chorus. After performing such a beautiful and difficult concert, it was perfect to have dinner at our favorite restaurant in Rutland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Roots is my first dinning choiceToniaDined on 1/25/2014I love the use of local foods, the unique dishes they serve and the variety. It is small and reservations are recommended if you want to get in on a prime day for lunch or dinner. It is definently worth the wait to get in. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always goodKandIDined on 1/14/2014Just like the title says, always good food, drinks and service. Karrie at the bar clearly has freedom to be creative and takes it. Local food is always great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentProtectedDinerDined on 12/22/2013One room, but fine dining. if you are looking for large portions skip; this is about fine dinning; taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Flavors!JohnTDined on 12/22/2013Cheese Fondue appetizer included blue cheese that provided an amazing yet not overpowering flavor contrast. The individual ingredient flavors were discernible and meshed very well in the Fish Tacos and Pulled-Pork Enchilada entree's. Lunch time portions were generous. Service was timely and friendly in a relaxed atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A delight in RutlandBobG430Dined on 12/10/2013Friendly staff. Food was fresh. Novel menu, with emphasis on local sourcing of food. Good choices available for vegetarian types. We have been to Roots before, and would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We Keep Going BackTheVansDined on 12/6/2013This restaurant never disappoints. Great food. Great folks.Special Features:
- Nice local spotSweetPeaVtDined on 12/6/2013Had an impromptu business meeting there. Food was tasty as the service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eating LocallyKevinC42Dined on 12/1/2013If you like a restaurant that has true local foods and a sustainability theme then roots is for you. We try to go here every time we are in Rutland visiting family. Menu is full of lots of delicious locally grown and harvested foods. Local meats and vegis. The prices are great too. The service was excellent. Mel, our server, had our reserved table all ready for us. If you make an on-line reservation, Roots always has your table ready at the exact time even if they are really busy. Mel was a great server.She was very knowledgeable of the menu and attended to us just the right amount. The restaurant is small, but very cozy with pictures of veggies on the wall. The only bad thing on our last visit was that the restaurant was a bit chilly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good evening!YummyDined on 11/27/2013The food was excellent...though the serving of fries is gigantic. The pace (server's attention) was perfect. No rush.Special Features:
- Great PlaceCludmdDined on 11/3/2013Always have a great meal here and it's decor is very upbeat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Localvores will love itAnneVTVIPDined on 11/3/2013Fresh creative local food - they had us when we were told the side was roasted beets! The burger was fantastic as was the steak wrap. Nice selection of wines by the glass. Worth the drive to Rutland for us!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Locavores ParadiseFoodFanaticVIPDined on 10/24/2013If you want to know where your food originated, this is the restaurant for you. Almost everything on the menu is identified by source, and usually from within 50 miles. The chef has a good way of combining ingredients, and the ability to make any dish seem like a healthy choice! The service is friendly and efficient. It's no wonder Roots is a favorite of Rutland diners who appreciate good food.Special Features:
- Even on a night with a showOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/22/2013Even on a night with a show around the corner, when the entire restaurant needed to leave at the same time, Roots is reliable for great food and service. It is better to go on a night when there isn't a show but either way you won't be disappointedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Roots Rocks!jab19Dined on 10/22/2013There were 6 in our group & we all had fabulous dinners & uniquely delicious cocktails. Roots is great for everyone - even vegetarians & G Free folks. We'll definitely be back.Special Features:
- the localvore food is excellent.thepo957Dined on 10/20/2013the localvore food is excellent. The experience is marred however by the very loud noise levels. It is very difficult to have a conversation in this restaurant. They should do something to change the acoustics.Special Features:
- perfect for two couplesFXFinVTDined on 10/20/2013getting together after many years apart, with a variety of eating requirements. Excellent food, a compelling menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best of the bunchBostonTravellerVIPDined on 10/17/2013Love this restaurant on so many levels - the farm to table theme, the seasonal foods, the simple yet elegant preparations, the comfortable, sophisticated setting and the friendly, helpful servers. It all works and at a price that's reasonable compared to the local competition. My absolute favorite when in Rutland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.