Roots The Restaurant
51 Wales St.
Rutland, VT 05701Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: $30 and under
Roots The Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.rootsrutland.com/
- Phone: 8027477414
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Sunday: 11:00am - 9:00pm Friday & Saturday: 11:00am - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Donald Billings
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Chef Donald Billings and staff are happy to cater private events. For more information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
A word from Roots The Restaurant
Roots" mission is to create delicious food from fresh, local ingredients. Vermont offers an agricultural bounty of flavorful produce, meat, dairy and other food products that are staples of the Roots menu. Chef Donald Billings is committed to providing affordable meals from minimally processed, locally grown ingredients, including organic crops and humanely raised, pasture fed livestock. Chef Billings and Roots are proud to partner with local providers Boardman Hill Farm, Hathaway Farm, Woods Market, Blue Ledge Farm, Baba Louis Bakery and other smaller scale produce, dairy and maple syrup providers. Visit us at 51 Wales Street in downtown Rutland and enjoy a delicious, wholesome local meal made from the freshest Vermont products.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Roots The Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Rutland, VT ›
Roots The Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
41 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (31)neighborhood gem (28)special occasion (18)great for lunch (15)notable wine list (8)romantic (8)good for groups (7)hot spot (6)great for outdoor dining (2)vibrant bar scene (2)great for brunch (2)late-night find (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/29/2014Just great. Cheese fondue and egg roll appetizers are delish.Special Features:
- One not to missLittleVIPDined on 10/21/2014Had a great lunch. One of the best kale salads ever. Squash soup was outstanding. I could eat here everyday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small and quaintdoodlesDined on 10/19/2014A great way to start a visit to Vermont. Quiet and very excellent food ....artsy decor with perfect wines and beer.Special Features:
- Rootspshark52Dined on 10/11/2014Found Roots, by chance, while perusing Trip Advisor. As we had plans to spend Columbus Day weekend with friends in Sudbury, I booked a luncheon reservation for the four of us. We thoroughly enjoyed our meals. From the coconut curry squash soup, fondue, steak and cheese, reuben, portabello mushroom sandwich, Ballet of Angels wine from Pomfret, Ct, apple crisp, to the sweet potato pie with ice cream... there were no doggie bags. Our server, Jenn, was excellent. We travel to Vermont often and will definitely eat at Roots again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014Had a nice selection of gluten free items and accommodating to my allergy!!Special Features:
- Meeting friends in RutlandSistersDined on 10/9/2014I was looking for a place to meet out of state friends for dinner in Rutland and was pleasantly surprised by the ambience and food at this downtown place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful, but make a reservationformerNYfoodieDined on 10/5/2014Fortunately, we had a reservation. This was not our first time here. Without one it can be very difficult to get in. We saw a number of groups of people turned away. Because the food is wonderful and service competent, this restaurant is truly a find. My wife and I had different appetizers (beets & risotto) and main courses (pork & trout special). Everything was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Farm to tableDubaigaryDined on 10/4/2014Great local fare. The Vermont "fondue" was anything but traditional, but not to be missed. Scallops, locally sourced salads, sandwiches were excellent. Very good wine list.Special Features:
- A good findOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/28/2014I ordered the bowl soup which was fine, but I went to dig in and *tink* there was hardly any soup! With my spoon level and touching the bottom of the bowl, I don't think any soup made it in...and I was thinking "herrrre we go" I immediately dreaded that my wife's soon-to-arrive steak was going to be to be the size of a postage stamp because it's one of "those" restaurants. My friends got the "cup" of soup that was the size of a large shot glass. Anyways it all turns around as everything else was in good to great portions and fabulous. The steak was a good size and the hummus was more than ample...actually it was a ton of hummus! which was great. The cheese cake was the best I've had in my life with an ample portion to top.Special Features:
- Great dining experienceTontoDined on 9/21/2014Everytime we go, the food, drinks and service are outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner.rhchdiningDined on 9/18/2014"Cake night" was enjoyable. Egg rolls and maple shrimp appetizers were tasty.Special Features:
- One of the area's best.ManningDined on 9/2/2014I have long loved Roots for lunch and so I'm not surprised to find it equally delightful for dinner. One thing I always notice is the genuinely attentive and thoughtful waitstaff; they really add to the experience.Special Features:
- Server makes the difference!PickyEaterDined on 9/2/2014This is probably the 4th time we've had the pleasure of being served by wait staff member JD. He is friendly, attentive without being interruptive, creative in providing options to those with food allergies and always a gentleman. He is a great ambassador for Roots the Restaurant. I have two recommendations - include more vegan options for those who have egg allergies and be sure to appreciate JD for keeping your customers coming back!Special Features:
- Good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014Overall it was a great meal the grovlox and maple shrimp was great. But my fish taco was bland and needed more flavor. But I will definitely be coming backSpecial Features:
- Great Place, Great FoodVTSkiBumDined on 8/26/2014One of my favorite restaurants. My husband had never been there and raved about the food.Special Features:
- True ProfessionalsActonDadVIPDined on 8/17/2014Every now and the. You visit a restaurant that raises the bar for others. Fresh, creative (though not pretentious) food served by some of the best staff I've experienced. Can't wait to find another excuse to visit Rutland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RovingfeastTripfoodiesDined on 8/12/2014Great food with well presented farm-to-table theme. Some creative touches in house made salad dressings such as a maple/balsamic vinaigrette had me scraping the salad plate with a spoon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always enjoyable!golfergirlDined on 7/15/2014Each time I eat at Roots, I leave thinking how great the dining experience is. It's one of my favorites and never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/15/2014absolutely fantastic! Great service, great food, wonderful, wonderful. Will definitely return again when back in the area!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 89th Birthday CelebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/10/2014Had a wonderful meal...very attentive staff....great drinks!!!....all in all a memorable evening with our favorite "80 something" aunt & uncle. Even got the birthday boy to try the salmon app. (which was fantastic!)Special Features:
- A hidden treasure in Rutland!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/6/2014Once again we had a delicious meal at Roots! Making a reservation was a good idea. Our server was knowledgeable about the menu as well as the wines and desserts. She was extremely helpful but didn't hover. Using fresh local products helps area suppliers & makes for really flavorful meals. Great care is evident on every level. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/3/2014My favorite restaurant in the greater Rutland area. Great service and the food was deliciously fresh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 185 reviews are from the Roots The Restaurant reviews archive.
- Wonderful!GingkoDined on 6/26/2014We shared the cheese plate and my friend had the kale salad, I had the beet salad & all were delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Any flaws add to its natural beautyTR26Dined on 6/17/2014OK. the downside first: the wait staff seemed butterfingered and kept dropping stuff--maybe I'm having that effect since this wasn't the only place where that's happened lately. I had issues with the way my food was plated, blueberry sauce going where it wasn't wanted. OK, those are the flaws. The plus side: staff was friendly and well-coordinated. They are, like much of western Vermont, devoted to locally sources ingredients, and they have some terrific local ingredients around here ! The menu is broad, with options like emu and duck. Dishes are prepared according to the highest standards of quality and creative cuisine. We genuinely enjoyed their special cocktails.Special Features:
- The perfect biteVtcpaDined on 6/10/2014Had another fabulous meal Service is always attentive and friendly The food is outstanding. Everything on the plate is perfectly balanced Tried chicken and gnocchi with fresh mozzarella and arugula and some divine sauce A little bit of everything on the plate was the perfect bite Can't wait to go backSpecial Features:
- Awesome and Well PricedNYCfoodmeDined on 6/8/2014Excellent food, a great wine list, top notch service, great ambiance, and all of it at a very reasonable price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, great menu choicesJoesDined on 5/21/2014Roots is a small, quiet, upscale yet casual neighborhood restaurant. Service was impeccable. Drinks and wine excellent. The menue has some very different choices. The crab filled puff appetizer was very tasty and good for two. My wife had the apple scallops, excellent. I tried the emu steak. This was a disappointment because to me it had no flavor, tasted like tofu. All the side were great and desert excellent. Worth a visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite restaurant in RutlandMungeretteDined on 5/14/2014Roots has an attentive staff, a delicious menu, and a wonderful atmosphere. I have food allergies, and the staff and chef(s) are always kind and attentive to ensure that my food is safe to eat. I always feel taken care of and truly valued as a customer by every person in the restaurant. The food is delicious, too, but the entire experience is enjoyable. Don't miss out on this wonderful establishment!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Delicious FindJMarshYADined on 4/15/2014So glad that we chose this restaurant for a very nice, relaxed date. Menu was interesting and varied, and the food was delicious. Nice pairings of moderately priced wines with the entrees. Service was friendly, prompt, tuned-in (we wanted to linger over dinner and talk and not be rushed), upbeat and very positive. Thoroughly enjoyable dining experience and I will certainly come back to Roots again. A minor note was that the tables were a little close together, but comfortably apart from other diners. Lots of farm-fresh and local produce ingredients so the entrees were all savory and tasty. Wine list is evolving with a thoughtful list of choices from around the world. Definitely a great local gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gem in RutlandOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/10/2014My husband and I drive down from Burlington to eat at Roots. The food is consistently fantastic, the service impeccable. It's a small place so it gets a little loud. I am gluten-free and there are so many choices for me! Including a GF blueberry cobbler on the regular menu. I feel safe there and we will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Roots keeps improving withFood78Dined on 4/3/2014Roots keeps improving with time. I enjoy knowing the greater percentage of the menu is from local farmers. The only negative for me is the close proximity of neighboring tables. I would not want to go here for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top SpotNorcohDined on 3/18/2014Cretive menu, always interesting specials, cheerful, prompt service -- tables too close thus not a good place for private conversation or business lunch.Special Features:
- Roots to grow fromLinnyVIPDined on 3/2/2014First time here. We went because of great reviews & we wanted to try a new place on our annual visit to Killington. The atmosphere was above average, comfortable, attractive decor & background music at just the right volume- audible if you listened but unobtrusive, a pleasant change. The waitstaff was excellent. The menu was an interesting variety of cuisine; some novel items & some novel takes on more traditional dishes. The gnocchi with shrimp and sausage was great. Beet ravioli was very good- light in texture with a tasty cheese filling & though I'm sure many would disagree, overall more creamy/ cheesy than I prefer. The chicken which was optional, I would not include in the future. Overall very good & we plan to come back next year.
- A gemNJresidentDined on 3/2/2014I believe this is the best restaurant in the Rutland area, including Killington.Special Features:
- Great for many choicesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/27/2014I love coming back to Roots because the food, atmosphere,service is great. They're always able to make the customers feel special and adapt to their needs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- healthful taste consciousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/20/2014Great gluten free bread.Interesting selection of healthful food.Special Features:
- So disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/16/2014After calling Roots our "favorite" restaurant for the past two years, the most recent visits have been increasingly disappointing. This particular visit, each component of our experience was well below par. Very slow service, long gap between salads and entree, tiny portions and poorly cooked fish entrees. So disappointed because of many good meals here in the past.
- Always great. Uses all locallyCathyDined on 2/11/2014Always great. Uses all locally sourced products and describes the originSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful after the ParamountBelfast5348Dined on 1/26/2014We had a wonderful dinner after the 20th Anniversary concert by the Vermont Symphony Orchestra Chorus. After performing such a beautiful and difficult concert, it was perfect to have dinner at our favorite restaurant in Rutland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Roots is my first dinning choiceToniaDined on 1/25/2014I love the use of local foods, the unique dishes they serve and the variety. It is small and reservations are recommended if you want to get in on a prime day for lunch or dinner. It is definently worth the wait to get in. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.