Houston, TX 77006Neighborhood:
Midtown / Montrose
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Phone: 7135241000
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Roots Bistro
This new trendy, casual and affordably priced Houston hotspot boasts a communal vibe and a strong focus on health and going green.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Roots Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
- I had the Kale and AvocadoOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/1/2013I had the Kale and Avocado salad and it was really good! Our waitress said that it's a secret recipe. I'm going to try and make it myself at home and see if I can emulate the taste!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An unexpected treatfoodswingsDined on 5/23/2013We really enjoyed our experience at Roots. Our waiter told us they are "farm to table" which you hear a lot of these days. But the vegetables at Roots really did shine. The kale and avocado salad was almost life changing and we loved the smoked mushrooms. We only ordered one entrée between the three of us, but had 8 or nine of the small plates. It was a great meal.Special Features:
- Cute placeluvfoodVIPDined on 5/17/2013We have been here twice, and we are taking some friends there this weekend. Why? Local grown, organic food, hip decor, not too crowded or noisy. We really like the veggie flatbread. Last time there, we split that and a salad, and that was plenty. Try it!Special Features:
- Appetizers bland, risotto was okayOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/17/2013Expected more from this place. Ordered mushroom appetizer and a salad, both were bland or not great tasting. The shrimp risotto was very good. May go back just for entree/risotto, but not sure. Really expected more, based on past reviews, etc. In terms of service, our waiter was attentive, made good suggestion on the wine. Was kind of empty for a Friday night.
- Radishes...JefhaDined on 5/17/2013I took my wife there for our anniversary, she was skeptical at first glance, but as soon as we had the radishes, she was all in. The menu definitely isn't a book but its not the quanity, it's the quality they produce. Check it out and you will not be dissapointed... They had $1 lone star beers that night, which was a double bonus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative and Solid QualitySteveVIPDined on 5/11/2013The meal was very good, not excellent. It would have been excellent, but my Pork Chop was extremely fatty. All of the side dishes were excellent and the wine list includes several unique and reasonable options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/2/2013You can't go wrong here. The people and food are wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely amazing, freshBrianDined on 4/27/2013Absolutely amazing, fresh food. Mostly vegetarian. One of my favorite spots in Houston.Special Features:
- Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 4/27/2013Great dinner at Roots. I have nothing but positive comments on this place; food was excellent, wines suggested were great, nice decor and staff.Special Features:
- A must!DallasDinesVIPDined on 4/26/2013Wow! What a surprise. Outstanding, innovative cuisine. The flat breads are not to be missed! Our new favorite spot in Houston.Special Features:
- Nice to sit outside on a lovelyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/26/2013Nice to sit outside on a lovely night. The salads are large (good to share) and very healthy. I always feel good eating dark greens. Pizza is good and the market fish was delicious. Enjoy this place!Special Features:
- Excellent dining experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/20/2013Excellent dining experience. Chef's use of local ingredients with proper seasoning makes for a unique tasting. Presentation also gets high marks.Special Features:
- We had a new waiter, who messedOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/13/2013We had a new waiter, who messed up one order to the point where she never did receive what she ordered. The rest of our group had the chicken which was okay- nothing outstanding. The vegetables that came with the chicken were soggy and salty. The grilled cheese and tomato soup was very good as was the mushroom risotto. The antelope short ribs were a little tough.
- Pleasant Evening at RootsOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 4/12/2013We were pleasantly surprised by our first visit to Roots Bistro. While the menu is relatively small, it had items that pleased even our picky teenager. The tomato and mozzarella was fabulous (like a warm caprese salad). The pork chop with polenta and vegetables was also tasty, although the meat was a bit tough. The mac-n-cheese was a lovely grown up version of a classic dish. The main disappointment regarding the food was a "roots" vegetable appetizer that was recommended by our server. While it had some nice flavors, it was too spicy for us to finish. (Normally, we like spicy food, but too much heat for this dish.) Service was pleasant and efficient. The wine list is both interesting and affordable.Special Features:
- Pork chop overdone. Not greatarlineeVIPDined on 4/6/2013Pork chop overdone. Not great like last tome we were there.
- Fun birthday celebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/2/2013Went for a friends birthday. The food was excellent and they were very accommodating for our birthday girl. I would definitely recommend this restaurant.
- Good, but inconsistentBeckyEatsVIPDined on 3/31/2013The restaurant looks great. The food is good, but not consistent. Two people at our table ordered the same dish (pork hash). One dish had mostly potatoes and just a little pork. The other dish had mostly pork and 3 small bites of potatoes. The food all tasted good, but there was a little too much going on.Special Features:
- Roots Bistro a Real FindHoustonComposerDined on 3/30/2013We were pressed for a time before going to see a concert. The staff was spot on without feeling ever hurried. The food was wonderful, and my wife and I are definitely going back. She had a well-prepared and delicious filet. I had a seafood risotto with a great array of flavors. We topped it off with a fun pinotage wine.Special Features:
- A solid B.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/27/2013Roots has great potential. The antelope short ribs and mozarella flatbread were great; but the execution of the mushroom risotto and the shrimp and saffron risotto were a little flawed. They had too many greens on them that interferred with the overal enjoyment of the dish and the risotto itself was slightly undercooked. All in all it was good, not great. I give Roots Bistro a solid B.Special Features:
- LOVE that they had both aOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/23/2013LOVE that they had both a raw dish for me and a beef filet for my husband. One of the only places that one of us doesn't have to compromise. The raw dish was amazing! Didn't taste the beef but was told it was "ridiculously amazing".Special Features:
- Wonderful, local sourced,goodfoodDined on 3/22/2013Wonderful, local sourced, organic and delicious. We are from out of state and Roots was recommended by a local. What a find!Special Features:
- organic. food was terrific.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/20/2013organic. food was terrific. service hip and attentiveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good, fresh food, butOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/8/2013Very good, fresh food, but pretty pricey for the small portions they serve.Special Features:
- This was our first visit toGCHoustonDined on 3/2/2013This was our first visit to Roots Bistro, but will not be our last. Really enjoyed to menu choices and everything was prepared perfectly!Special Features:
- Pleasant ambience, very nicehoustonfoodieVIPDined on 3/2/2013Pleasant ambience, very nice wait staff. Unusual preparations.Special Features:
- Very fresh, delicious food!ILMvisitorVIPDined on 2/26/2013Roots is one of our regular restaurants we visit since their opening. They always have the freshest food and their menu changes often. Their flatbread pizzas' are delicious and fresh, and I would recommend trying something on the menu that you may never have heard of before like Beet Ravoili. Those dishes are the ones that will pleasantly surprise you the most! Definitely try the Bread Pudding! Oh and their wine list is not huge, and you probably haven't heard of most of the wines, but trust them! They are reasonably priced and good! Also a great place for vegetarians and vegans!Special Features:
- Beautiful restaurant withAlwaysVIPDined on 2/21/2013Beautiful restaurant with creative and amazing food. Everything about the evening was superb.Special Features:
- Service was EXTREMELY slow.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/17/2013Service was EXTREMELY slow. Was there for over an hour before food was delivered, and there were only 2 or 3 other tables in the restaurant. Food was served cold.
- Great restaurant. Many thingsOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/16/2013Great restaurant. Many things were unavailable but I was happy about it. It meant they really use fresh ingredients. It was also my fault for coming in so late on a Saturday night. I liked that they cut up ole menus for use as drink coasters. Lovely place.Special Features:
- We recently visited RootsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/16/2013We recently visited Roots Bistro for the first time. The food was ok...nothing spectacular. Along with ordering the mushroom risotto we decided to try the elk risotto which was listed as a special dish that night. The elk risotto was not as special as we thought it might be. We were very disappointed to find that both risottos were prepared exactly the same except the additions of a few pieces of elk meat and some kind of extra sauce that was stirred into the elk risotto. We were also not impressed by the chef's signature smear of red paste on several of the dishes. The leftover elk risotto we took home was dyed pink when it came time to reheat it.Special Features:
- the table we sat at was rightlauriVIPDined on 2/16/2013the table we sat at was right near the kitchen and in the path of all of the servers moving from the kitchen area to the dining room; no need for a table to be there.Special Features:
- Food was great as always.HonestbutTactfulDined on 2/15/2013Food was great as always. Service wasn't as enthusiastic and attentive as I have seen it before, but it was still good.Special Features:
- Came here with a google offer...IdingsterVIPDined on 2/9/2013Came here with a google offer...I wouldn't recommend coming without a deal. Very overpriced. Flatbreads are good. Ordered a salad and specified "no dressing", but came dressed anyway. Food (flatbread, omelette, salad) took nearly 30min to arrive to table, and then the salad had to be sent back. Came quickly the second time. Service was too slow.
- Very interesting menu and50sub4Dined on 2/2/2013Very interesting menu and good wine list. Great service - it was quite an energetic atmostphere on a Saturday night. Very happy with the dining experience and the complementary valet parking was a nice touch.Special Features:
- A True GemOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 2/1/2013Absolutely a delightful evening starting wth the fun & energetic hostess, the vivacious manager, the very attentive waitress, and lastly, the very knowledgeable sommelier. Will definitely be going back and most likely become regulars.Special Features:
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/1/2013Flatbread pizza, kale salad and pulled pork Mac and cheese were delicious!Special Features:
- New king of the green scene!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/26/2013Our new favorite restaurant ! Filled with unique farm-to-table hearty and healthy goodness!Special Features:
- Food was amazing as expectedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/26/2013Food was amazing as expected - fresh, healthy and tasty. The service was spot on. The patio was quiet despite being close to Westheimer. We even grabbed some juice to go after our meal and it's worth a trip on its own.Special Features:
- Fantasticehochbergtx2Dined on 1/25/2013Roots is much better than I thought it be (first visit). We were a party of 4, sat outside on a cool Friday evening and it was lovely. The kale avacado salad is "to die for"! The Mac & cheese had to be one of the best I've ever had. Not heavy or too cheesy. My date had the shrimp risotto. Excellent! Service was great. I'm a wine snob, so my expectations are higher than most. But I'd say the wine list is very good and very affordable. That's also true for the food, very inexpensive for great food.Special Features:
- A few vegetarian optionsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/19/2013Vegetarian options exist in this lovely restaurant. The raw beet ravioli, smoked mushrooms (the platter comes with a hot piece charcoal under the mushrooms to keep smoking! So cool!), the pear & organic raw mixed greens flatbread are all delicious. Wait staff are knowledgable and friendly. We loved the host lady, she was so welcoming and hospitable. The outside seating is not much, but the inside is pretty. Good food for the price.Special Features: