Roots Bistro Gourmand
399 Montauk Hwy.
West Islip, NY 11795Neighborhood:
Contemporary FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
Roots Bistro Gourmand
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.rootsli.com/
- Phone: 6315872844x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday- Lunch 12-3pm, Bar 4pm, Dinner 5pm-10pm
Wednesday Lunch 12-3pm, Bar 4pm, Dinner 5pm-10pm
Thursday Lunch 12-3pm, Bar 4pm, Dinner 5pm-10pm
Friday Lunch 12-3pm, Bar 4pm, Dinner 5pm-11pm
Saturday Lunch 12-3pm, Bar 4pm, Dinner 5-11pm
Sunday Bar 4pm, Dinner 5-9pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Gastro Pub, Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Philippe Corbet & James Orlandi
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Wheelchair Access
- Entertainment: Live
A word from Roots Bistro Gourmand
Roots Bistro Gourmand, a BISTRONOMIC RESTAURANT, specializes in contemporary French Cuisine. The term bistronomic juxtaposes high end cuisine with humor and accessibility, as well as doing away with old world dress code, white table cloths, elaborate floral displays, tuxedoed servers and replacing them with dynamic gastronomy with a lively and relaxed atmosphere. It is a new kind of eatery opened by young chefs with excellent training.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary French
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Roots Bistro Gourmand - Best Restaurants in West Islip ›
Roots Bistro Gourmand reviews from OpenTable diners
56 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (48)special occasion (33)neighborhood gem (31)romantic (24)good for groups (12)notable wine list (10)hot spot (6)great for lunch (5)vibrant bar scene (5)late-night find (4)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- WonderfulJohnVIPDined on 8/16/2014One of the best restaurants in Long Island. Delicious and unique cuisine and friendly, relaxed atmosphere. We especially loved the foix gras and oeuf appetizers. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/7/2014The cooking is talented and imaginative. The four course tasting menu with wine pairing for $80 is a steal. Better yet, we we told this menu changes daily.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- babylonfoodieDined on 8/1/2014slow to get our wine. menu was not true to website. Disappointed that the lobster item advertised in newsday article was not available even though the article ran just two days prior. my wife and I will not be returning.Special Features:
- Only for fru fru foodiesAisienneDined on 8/1/2014Honestly felt that the menu was a bit too narrow in terms of choices. What we ate was good but it was limited.Special Features:
- French food, American portionsTurkeyMeatballGuruDined on 7/22/2014A delicious and broad menu. Everything about the place was just right. Their use of seasonings to enhance the flavor of quality foods allowed them to ease up on the buttery/ creamy dressings that you often find in French Cuisine. First time I've ever taken home leftovers from a French place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/20/2014If you plan on waiting an inordinate amount of time for each course of food, this is the place for you.
- APersonAPersonVIPDined on 7/18/2014I love this restaurant. The frequently changing menu is always creative.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentDenjoDined on 7/18/2014Food and service we're outstanding. We ordered the tasting menu, which was a surprise treat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!PincusDined on 7/13/2014We had a spectacular dinner here this past weeknd. Mushroom carpaccio, duck, and the scotch egg were stand outs. Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delish!ruthBDined on 7/12/2014This was our 3rd time at Roots and the 2nd time that we chose the "Chef's Choice" option. Again, we were stunned by the delicious food, beautiful presentation, and amazing service. We also chose the wine pairing option and each glass was a spot-on compliment to the course being served. The chef is incredibly creative - expect to be pleasantly surprised with a unique combination of ingredients that will make for a delightful evening!Special Features:
- Paris on LIMassParkingDined on 7/12/2014As diverse and enjoyable a dining experience as one can find on Long Island! Fresh, local ingredients with an imaginative twist. The Paris Bistro feel is tangible on the menu and the entire experience is above reproach. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/3/2014Put very simply - one if the best restaurants on Long Island. Surprising flavor in every bite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectPincusDined on 7/2/2014We were a group of six and everything was fabulous. The food is creative and delicious. Service was wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/26/2014Visiting Roots is always a treat. The food is creative, interesting and delicious. Service is very attentive but not obtrusive. I love taking people here because it's such a unique find on the south shore!Special Features:
- 50th AnniversaryDeeDeeDined on 6/26/2014When we were first married we often ate at this location - then know as Herman's Captree House. It was also a favorite of our friends. Therefore, it was the perfect spot to celebrate their 50th anniversary. This was our first visit but will not be the last. Everything was lovely!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular!!!!DisappointedDined on 6/21/2014Roots Bistro is a "cannot miss" dining location. From a unique cocktail list, to a creative dinner menu and finished off with a thoughtful desert menu...this a new favorite dining. Destination!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RUSTYDined on 6/19/2014GREAT FOOD, WELL BALANCED, GOURMENT AND NOT OVER DONE, WELL PRESENTED, BUT SERVICE LACKING, BUT CAN BE OVER LOOKED BECAUSE OF FOOD, YET THIS KIND OF PRESENTATION DESIRES BETTER SERVICESpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TerrificCarissaDined on 6/15/2014Father's day here was the perfect choice. Our dinners were cooked and presented beautifully, the desserts were outstanding and the feel was classy but incredibly comfortable. Can not wait to come back for a table of 2 ;}Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for a special occasionSSdinerDined on 6/12/2014Our family of four came here for a father's day celebration and every dish was delicious and unique. The time between appetizers and entrées seemed a bit longer than expected. Our server Shaun had great timing and made it a comfortable dining experience. The tables are a bit close together as the dining area isn't very expansive, but we were fine at our corner table. The bill definitely adds up with a family, but it is reasonable for the quality food that Roots has to offer.Special Features:
- Just perfect!2dinersDined on 6/8/2014Service is very attentive. Food is creatively presented and ingredients sparkle. Love those mussels!Special Features:
- Weekday dinnerSteveFDined on 6/4/2014The food is always great. The weekend is hard to get a table and is usually loud. We came on a Wednesday night. took the 6 course with wine pairing. The service is more personal due to less of a crowd. Take your honey here during the week and enjoy!Special Features:
- Unbelievable.LovefoodDined on 5/25/2014I never write reviews. Really. Never. This restaurant was simply so extraordinary that I am forced to write one. My wife and I go into the city every few weeks for a high end restaurant... We have developed a love for some of the fancy gastronomic techniques they use. We especially love French cuisine. Chef Phillipe is an artist, his skill and creativity are apparent... And he was so kind as to come out to our table to meet us. We were blown away by the tastes, the technique, the presentation and the service. The ambience, a hip French bistro style complete with lounge music, create a sexy and sensual vibe. Not just the best restaurant we've been to on the island... One of the best dining experiences we've had in NY. Go. Go now.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best find ever!kikitDined on 5/24/2014My children know I am very fussy and critical of most restaurants. Having owned one and being a pretty good cook, it is rare I rave about anyplace. We hit the Jackpot with Roots Bistro Gourmand! My children took me there for Mothers Day Brunch and I loved it so much, we went back 2 weeks later for dinner. Again, we were not disappointed. We all ordered something different and tasted from each other,,,EXCELLENT! not one bad thing to say..from rabbit to scallops,to skirt steak... Must admit, probably the best tasting meals I have had in over 20 yrs. It can be pricey for a family, but well worth it.. Service is excellent . Only negative is that I am disabled and find it very difficult to enter because of entrance stairs..a ramp would be nice.Special Features:
- First timePeteVIPDined on 5/20/2014Excellent service. Great time. We had a tough time w the menu. Too many choices - not necessarily a bad thing. The duck was unbelievable.Special Features:
- Great after a day out on the boatKel64Dined on 5/17/2014I had a reservation @ 8:00, but we were running late, being out on our boat all day. The hostess called me to remind us of our time, I had to push it back to 9:00 & change the seating from 2 to 4 people. We were accommodated which was nice for a Saturday night. The food & drinks were wonderful & one of our friends was a newbie to the place & was quite impressed with everything.Special Features:
- First but not last visitTravelingwomanDined on 5/17/2014My first visit to this neighborhood restaurant was perfect. Love being able to buy half portions Unique menu items, beautifully presented and great tasting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lost count on number of timesLarryRVIPDined on 5/13/2014This place rocks. I have never walked out of here disappointed!!!!!Special Features:
- Fabulous find!HeatherBunnyVIPDined on 5/11/2014Service and sensational supper! My third time dining here, and I'll be sure to return. The cuisine is French divinity, the service attentive. Try the risotto lollipops, salmon puff pastry, scallops, and any dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A taste of Paris on Long IslandMassParkingDined on 5/9/2014A French bistro cafe restaurant on Long Island! If you've been to Paris you know this is not an enterprise to be taken lightly because if it does not ring true you can have an epic fail. In the case of Roots Bistro Gourmand we have an epic success! Moules Frites, Charcuterie & Fromage, Risotto Lollipops, Honey Truffled Chicken, Spring Double Duck left four adults sated. Each and every bite was a treat. After a sampling of incredible desserts (they look AND taste delicious!) we floated home. Days later we are still talking about this unique and very fun experience! Our waiter Pierre (he claims the accent is western Jersey, but it sounds French) was on point all night! We will be back!Special Features:
- Exquisite!AnnieDined on 5/3/2014We dined during Restaurant Week and were thoroughly impressed by multiple things. Our wait staff was professional and accommodating, even visiting the chef with a question we had regarding ingredients. I ordered the lobster and loved every ounce of its select portions and its buttery sauce. A friend ordered the glazed chicken and was exceptionally pleased with her choice. We will return to this neighborhood gem in the near future!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Find for Restaurant Weekshizay12Dined on 5/2/2014We made reservations for a Friday night during restaurant week. We arrived early and were seated right away. Overall, the food was excellent. The combination of flavors, presentation of the food and beer selection truly represented their claim of being a gastro pub. The service was excellent. We were constantly attended to by several different wait staff. I didn't even have the opportunity pour my own water. The atmosphere was fun and homey. If you're looking to experiment with new tastes in a lively atmosphere, Roots is for you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulMicaelaDined on 5/2/2014As always, Roots was wonderful. I often find that the food quality and service at restaurants during Restaurant Week aren't as good. Not at Roots. Everything was great as usual.Special Features:
- Great findLemonDined on 5/1/2014Came for LI restaurant week. Food was inventive, beautifully presented, and delicious. Clean, farmhouse-ish interior, bustling atmosphere. Will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 249 reviews are from the Roots Bistro Gourmand reviews archive.
- Food WeekSiouxAzDined on 4/29/2014I took my granddaughter out for a special meal as I was visiting from Arizona. Since it was Food Week she suggested we try Roots. The meal was delicious. We were impressed with the variety of offerings even though it was a special "promotional" time for restaurants. We would definitely go back for a special event.Special Features:
- Always love the food hereSusieDined on 4/29/2014Went in for Restaurant Week but early so no one was there. Asked for Mojito which was not one of bartender's best. Soup and mushroom appetizers excellent. Chicken and lobster entrees fantastic. Long wait for dessert. Overall a very good experience.Special Features:
- goodvipotVIPDined on 4/27/2014it was good food but nothing special. wine list too expensive for west islip restaurant. service was exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/27/2014Food is delicious and never over-priced. Perfect gem to enjoy with the family.Special Features:
- Amazing!MicaelaDined on 4/26/2014This was my second time at Roots but this time my husband and I had the Chef's Tasting. We loved the element of surprise and our food was wonderful. Our waiter Pierre was not only extremely knowledgable about the food, its preparation, and the wine, but her was so friendly. After our meal, Phillipe, the chef came out to talk to us (as he does for everyone that orders the Chef's Tasting). He was also super friendly and nice. We had a wonderful experience and loved every single thing we ate. I highly recommend Roots.Special Features:
- Great Foodcwm21Dined on 4/23/2014Great local place, we had the tasting menu (one regular, one vegetarian). Each dish was unique in themselves, but the two dishes when served were the same, just with the meat omitted. I expected differently.Special Features:
- The absolute best modern cuisine!AdlosoDined on 4/18/2014Fantastic modern cuisine fresh beyond belief! The cocktails, oh my gosh!! One you have a cocktail with every ingredient fresh , not anything artificial, you won't go back. This was the same experience as one might expect from a top rated restaurant in the city, if not better with very personal, professional and very down to earth service. There was not 1 flaw. Louder than expected music but this is far from a flaw, only a part of the unique experience. Romantic in its own way for sure! We went for our anniversary and were so pleased. Still thinking about our evening and it's 5 days later. They know what they are doing here on all points.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.