Roots Bistro Gourmand
399 Montauk Hwy.
West Islip, NY 11795Neighborhood:
Contemporary FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
Roots Bistro Gourmand
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.rootsli.com/
- Phone: (631) 587-2844
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday- Lunch 12-3pm, Bar 4pm, Dinner 5pm-10pm
Wednesday Lunch 12-3pm, Bar 4pm, Dinner 5pm-10pm
Thursday Lunch 12-3pm, Bar 4pm, Dinner 5pm-10pm
Friday Lunch 12-3pm, Bar 4pm, Dinner 5pm-11pm
Saturday Lunch 12-3pm, Bar 4pm, Dinner 5-11pm
Sunday Bar 4pm, Dinner 5-9pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Gastro Pub, Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Philippe Corbet & James Orlandi
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Wheelchair Access
- Entertainment: Live
A word from Roots Bistro Gourmand
Roots Bistro Gourmand, a BISTRONOMIC RESTAURANT, specializes in contemporary French Cuisine. The term bistronomic juxtaposes high end cuisine with humor and accessibility, as well as doing away with old world dress code, white table cloths, elaborate floral displays, tuxedoed servers and replacing them with dynamic gastronomy with a lively and relaxed atmosphere. It is a new kind of eatery opened by young chefs with excellent training.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary French
Roots Bistro Gourmand - Best Restaurants in West Islip ›
Roots Bistro Gourmand reviews from OpenTable diners
74 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (64)neighborhood gem (36)special occasion (34)romantic (18)notable wine list (12)vibrant bar scene (11)hot spot (9)good for groups (7)great for lunch (4)late-night find (2)great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- great foodfredDined on 11/21/2014there food never fails its always out of the box served hot and delicious, service is the way its supposed to be. I would recommend roots to anyone..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/15/2014Becoming one of our favorites although delivery was a bit slow and the place can get pretty noisy. Food and choices are outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Innovative and creative! Amazing!EviemelVIPDined on 11/15/2014There are so many wonderful options on this menu! We had the pumpkin pasta with pork belly, the rbg burger, the Thai duck and a few small plates...absolute perfection! The cocktails were delicious (try the Bridgette Bardot) and the beer selection was extensive...offering my favorite: Innis & Gunn. The desserts were scrumptious and inspired by the season. We will be back here ASAP. We are looking forward to trying everything on the menu... At least once!Thank you so much!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second visit dissapointingJCMLDined on 11/9/2014Our recent second visit was nowhere near our first. It was restaurant week which may be part of the issue, but still the change from visit to visit was noticeable. Food this time was good at best. Service was unfriendly (funny we had the same waiter as our last visit). Noise was ridiculous. There was actual shouting in the dining room. Don't think we will return, shame because based on our first visit we encouraged two of our kids to have dinner there. Someone needs to do something about the noise level and be more attentive when there are patrons causing a commotion. Overall, very disappointing!
- What a find!!capcanDined on 11/9/2014Everything here was exceptional. We went for Restaurant Week having heard about this from a relative who has been there. For this week there was a somewhat limited menu, but still it was hard to pick just 2 entrees, appetizers and desserts! Want to go back to try the rest of the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent food great drinksrmpwDined on 11/8/2014i hate to dine out restaurant week due to the crowds, and didnt realize it was when we made plans with our friends. the service wasnt as doting as usual, but the food was excellent as always. Our drinks were great, as was the meat and cheese platter. One of our favorite restaurants, highly recommend.Special Features:
- Very differentOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/7/2014An eclectic menu that will not appeal to everyone. Service was very good, and the atmosphere was vibrant. My wife and I went with another couple, we felt more effort was spent on making a unique menu, and less on choices you would enjoy. It was worth going, but would probably not return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticAllensharonDined on 11/7/2014We have been to roots before and it never disappoints. There was a special menu for restaurant week. That had something for everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!MrsAbrewhamDrinkinDined on 11/6/2014We were able to enjoy a great meal here during LI Restaurant Week. The service started out a little slow, but was very friendly and accommodating. We were pleasantly surprised to find that they had a live acoustic guitarist performing and he was excellent! Overall our food was amazing.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/6/2014Excellent food and service fresh market choices and quaint atmosphere. Only downfall a musician playing and sound was loud.Special Features:
- not prepared for restaurant weeklichefDined on 11/5/2014Have been here a few time before and was always very satisfied. Went there on a Wednesday during Restaurant week. They seemed to be understaffed. Food Good service very slow and unattentive. I heard another guest complaning to Waiter about the wait and he responded that It was Restaurant week and that he should come in another time when it was not. When I left I mentioned to the Hostess about the service she said that it was restaurant week. I told her that was wrong anwser. Restaurant week is a chance to bring in new customers in hopes of bringing them back. If I have never been there before I would never come back. SorrySpecial Features:
- Great fritesmccmVIPDined on 11/5/2014Tried this place during restaurant week. The bar was small and cozy, though the bartender could have been a bit warmer. The food was good, not incredible. Risotto lollipops were tasty, unusual flavorings. Steak and cow au vin dishes were both executed well. The star here are the hand cut frites, with truffle and parmesan. Service staff got a little overwhelmed with customer volume that evening. We'd go back to try a burger as they looked good.
- food great, service badOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/4/2014We waited over an hour after seating to have our wine and our first course served. In fact, I had to remind them that we ordered wine or I do not think we would have gotten it. Later, they served the incorrect first course. Once we brought it to their attention, they quickly remedied the situation, however they billed us for the incorrect item, which was more expensive. The food was incredible. For all of the aggravation they put us through I think they should have given something for free, such as a glass of wine, to make up for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Babylon2Dined on 11/4/2014My wife and I were very disappointed. While the ambiance of the restaurant seemed nice, the waitress was inattentive, never bothering to tell us our food was late or coming out or whatever, and all courses seemed as if they covered in a heavy burnt brown sauce, and nearly everything was too salty.
- Bistro yes, Gourmand no!GlobaltravelerVIPDined on 11/4/2014This was a restaurant week recommendation from a coworker. The amuse bouche was a corn soup shooter with basil and garlic mustard - actually tasted like mustard soup, no corn or basil. For the appetizer I had the Risotto Lollipops (actually bland fried risotto balls) and supposed butternut squash mole sauce. I wanted the sauce on the side. Well the sauce didn't have a hint of chocolate or kick as I was told by the waitress. Strangely enough it tasted exactly like the maple blood orange glaze that was on my duck entree. The vegetables with the duck breast entree were overcooked and mushy. The first knife they gave me was too dull to slice the duck without sawing it, but that was remedied. Dessert was the only good part of the meal.
- Excellent DiningEmilyTDined on 11/2/2014We love this place... We've been here several times and will continue to go back. Amazing food...take a bite, put down your fork and savor the flavor kind of a place. Each bite is better than the next and the leftovers the next day are just as delic!Special Features:
- Restaurant weekchampagneDined on 11/2/2014My husband and I meet some friends for early dinner on Sunday night. It got to be very crowded and noisey. My friend and I had a beef dish which we did not like but the others had the chicken and mussels which they enjoyed a lot. We hardly saw our waitress and was disappointed in the service, food took awhile to come out. I think I would try this again during the week.I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite local restaurant...MikeVIPDined on 10/31/2014...had an off night. The food and service are usually excellent at Roots, however the service was well below par on my last visit. That plus a bottle of wine that wasn't too good made for a less than spectacular dining experience. Though it wasn't great, I will be back because it has been great on so many previous occasions. You should definitely visit this restaurant. I just want to make sure they stay on their toes.Special Features:
- very good dinnerharryDined on 10/31/2014We requested a quiet corner for a romantic anniversary dinner and Roots met all our needs. Quite section, great food and service. Wonderful eveningSpecial Features:
- Love the chef selectionMariaZDined on 10/31/2014Awesome food!! Every dish from the Chef selection was deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool spot.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014Well worth a visit. We have already recommended it to friends and will continue to. Great decor andgood lighting too which set the mood nicely. Attention to details was evident all around. The food was excellent, a well rounded menu have plenty of choice. Lots of enticing cocktail offerings an a decent wine menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favotite placeYankeesfanDined on 10/19/2014Always outstanding! The foi gras is my favotite and I order it every time I go. They always have unusual ingredients that blend together so well. I love this place.Special Features:
- Place to meet!SkierDined on 10/18/2014Wonderful restaurant .Food is very creative. Just a bit noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Roots is excellent!MikeVIPDined on 10/11/2014The food is great! It's my favorite restaurant. I had the foie gras and the duck. The preparation of the foie gras was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining divaDiningdivaVIPDined on 9/30/2014This is an amazing restaurant!! The diversity uniqueness and originality quality are 5 star. We had the price fix with wine pairing. Everything was simply delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shared Bar FooD!GoughsDined on 9/28/2014We are early on a Sunday evening. Not crowded, which was just what we wanted as we were meeting friends not seen for a while. We ordered 8 bar plates………each one was SO tasty! The clams with chorizo sausage is amazing, the oysters were so fresh, mussles small and sweet! Grilled cheese, beer shrimp, Steak tartar, the frites with truffle oil and parmesan, and the ribs that fell off the bone!! Srevice explained to us the way things were prepared and the sizes so we able to make informed decisions. We will go again!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/27/2014My wife and I enjoyed the chef's tasting 4 course dinner. the flavors were outstanding. We felt like "this must be what it's like to be a judge on any of the food shows on TV. We would definitely go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tres Bien!earnoldDined on 9/24/2014We had read about this place in the paper and wanted to try for a while. We were not disappointed. Everything, although typically very rich french style was not typical at all. The Charcuterie and Cheeses were generous and delicious. The Duck was exceptional (I believe one of their signature dishes) and the Marinated Steak was just as wonderful. Possibly some of the best Frites I've had in a while. Overall excellent experience and we are looking forward to going back for more as we will intentionally try to lighten our selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday celebrationMoonboy1Dined on 9/24/2014A great place to celebrate a family member birthday. Something on the menue for everyone.Special Features:
- Great food Outstanding presentatio!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/21/2014Roots never fails to impress. Always enjoy introducing friends to Roots.Special Features:
- great food and serviceboboDined on 9/20/2014we couldnt have a better experience if we had tried. from the the very beginning the bartender jackie couldnt have been more accommodating making us blue cheese stuffed olives for our vodka. the food and service at dinner was fantastic all 4 of us loved every app we orderd and love our main courses. a definite go back!Special Features:
- MIKEVIPDined on 9/16/2014The menu was very "quirky" and I think that could not make up their minds as to what kind if food they wanted to serve. DON'T get the Rissoto pops they are like bombs w/little taste. The coffee was cold and bitter. Service was good. Not what we expected. The reviews were good-but we were disappointed.Special Features:
- Considerable Culinary CraftFoodiesfirstVIPDined on 9/13/2014Throughout your dining experience you will find yourself saying "This chef knows what he's doing". Truly creative meals made with attention to detail at every offering. Excellent service and a comfortable atmosphere add to the experience. Not a traditional French bistro, you'll not find a hearty country French fare filled menu. This is a bit more elevated. You'll want to come back to try what you didn't order last time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HappyDinerDined on 9/12/2014Great ambiance and decor! And the food? Terrific!! We started with small plates at the bar ... the seasonal pizza and risotto lollipops were delicious and generous. (You could easily enjoy a full meal experience with just the small plates.) For dinner, we had the scallops Reuben and steak frite. The scallops were seared perfectly, and played off well with the Reuben-inspired (house-made) sauerkraut, dressing and strip steak. My wife described the steak frite as "fabulous!" Dessert was the home-made ice-cream trio. I especially enjoyed the chocolate -- wonderful flavor and not overly sweet. A return visit is in order!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- apagDined on 9/11/2014Dinner was delicious! First we had two cheeses with toast that were great! I had quail, which was delicious and my husband had skirt steak, which he loved. Overall experience was great, but the food is the best in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First TimersJCMLDined on 9/5/2014My wife saw a write up in Newsday and we took a chance on this unknown restaurant...good thing we did. Food was excellent. We tried the chefs tasting menu and each course was outstanding, and quite large for a tasting menu. Was slightly disappointed at the noise level in the dining area. Doors need to be closed between the bar and the tables. Excellent service. Very imaginative dishes. Tomato salad was out of this world. A little light on the martini pour at their price. Great evening, would definitely return.Special Features:
- frequentdinerVIPDined on 9/4/2014Inventive, creative, imaginative cuisine!! I don't have enough adjectives to describe the wonderful meal we had. The octopus with bone marrow was incredible. The duck was beautifully prepared, with the most delicious sauce. Excellent service, knowledgeable but not pretentious. Nice selection of wines by the glass.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014We went for our anniversary and it was a spectacular evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulJohnVIPDined on 8/16/2014One of the best restaurants in Long Island. Delicious and unique cuisine and friendly, relaxed atmosphere. We especially loved the foix gras and oeuf appetizers. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/7/2014The cooking is talented and imaginative. The four course tasting menu with wine pairing for $80 is a steal. Better yet, we we told this menu changes daily.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.