200 Julia St
New Orleans, LA 70130Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.rootnola.com/
- Phone: 5042529480
- Hours of Operation:
Friday & Saturday: 5pm-2am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Phillip L. Lopez
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Root
Located in New Orleans' historic Warehouse District, Root is a Modern American restaurant focused on traditional flavors and techniques. Chef Phillip Lopez is the culinary force behind Root's progressive flavors, forging new ideas in food preparation, techniques, textures, and service. His passion for the art of the meal fuels his fascination with food creativity. Root is the chef's story, each dish approached with ingenuity, conviction and soulful sourcing of the highest quality ingredients to produce sharp, clean, and bright flavors. Serious yet playful, Root offers the "WOW" factor with Chef Phillip's own spins on classic favorites, always maintaining a respecting for the flavors of the food. Our mantra: Eat. Here. Now.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Root reviews from OpenTable diners
90 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (74)special occasion (34)hot spot (33)neighborhood gem (29)good for groups (24)late-night find (20)romantic (14)vibrant bar scene (12)notable wine list (11)great for lunch (8)great for outdoor dining (3)great for brunch (2)scenic view (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Monday Night DinnerSueSueBRVIPDined on 10/20/2014Food was amazing. I ordered scallops and husband ordered the Bolognese along with a brussel sprout salad and tomato salad. Salads were served quickly. We had to ask the manager about our entrees - very slow that evening. It was worth the wait, however I don't think other patrons would be so patient and incline to go back. I do recommend because once the entrees arrived - they were on top of their game.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It felt like we had been "Punk'd"HungryHuskyDined on 10/19/2014Most disappointing dining experience we've had in the decades we’ve been regular visitors to New Orleans. Service was poor in every aspect; they were out of 2 of 3 special cocktails we ordered off their list; wine bottle list was poorly conceived and wildly inflated; the pour for a glass of wine was worse. Worst of all, the food was contrived, not well prepared or presented and incredibly overpriced. It became a so-bad-it’s-good experience. Crowning touch was leaving with the glower of the chef and waitress, who received the most generous mandatory 20% tip in history because we didn’t have a choice. If we did, it would have been the first time in several years we would have left less than 15%--and even that would have been too generous.
- Creative, Unique and daringMadAurieDined on 10/19/2014Really interesting. Great food. Great service. Innovative without being inaccessible. Goat cheese cheesecake fantastic!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beyond Loud; DisappointingSupernaniumDined on 10/17/2014We found the service staff at Root friendly and attentive. We found the noise level so high that we needed to be hard wired to talk to each other across a two person table. My wife enjoyed her food. My salad was imaginative, my desert interestingly presented, and my entree so salty as to be almost inedible. In fairness to the restaurant, I did not send the entree back, but I would be reluctant to recommend this restaurant for either food or conservation.Special Features:
- You like charcuterie, go herethomas5Dined on 10/16/2014Root is a medium-sized restaurant, with a very interesting menu. If you like charcuterie, go here, it is a must! Really excellent! The rest of the menu is also executed excellently, including the desserts. It has a goods selection of wines and beers, and some very interesting cocktails.Special Features:
- Surprising!OaklandishDined on 10/15/2014Went with a group of 8 friends and had an amazing meal. The restaurant is in the warehouse district and they kept the original structure so it is loft-like and very casual. Do not let the casual decor deter you from expecting a superb meal that is more refined than the decor. Loved the mix of casual with the serious attention to food. Everything we had was great, including the cocktails. The charcuterie is not to be missed. I don't usually order because it usually is something you can get and have at home but all the selections are made there and are unbelievable.Special Features:
- First Time VisitingOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/15/2014I came to this restaurant after reading many reviews. The menu was a bit unusual but the food was really good. Nice versions of more traditional dishes. The waiter was really helpful, professional, and polite. The best dish we had was the scallops served in the Cuban cigar box. I would recommend trying this restaurant if you are looking for a place with a unique experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- started off great but got worseSteveSFVIPDined on 10/13/2014I really enjoyed the first part of our meal at Root - cocktails are outstanding, and the wine list is good, interesting, quirky, with many great options. The appetizers were stellar, particularly the spicy Aloo Gobi. But then the main courses came. Butterfish was bland, overcooked, and without a good flavor. (I wonder if the quality of the fish was the problem.) The duck was tough and chewy. And then the olive oil cake/buttermilk desert came - and it was pretty awful. Such a disappointment. The manager came over and comped one of our dinners because he asked for, and we gave him, an honest review of the fish. Still, it's a shame he had to do that. The kitchen needs to create a more consistent presentation and support the front-of-houseSpecial Features:
- Mixed reviewDining2014Dined on 10/12/2014Cauliflower /eggplant excellent. Cucumber tomato salad good. Charcuterie good. Korean short rib disappointing. On bone short ribs were tough.Special Features:
- Some highlights but disappointmentsBlivetDined on 10/11/2014Apps - chicken wings and tomato panzanella salad were fabulous. We were talked out of the hot pot by waitstaff. Not sure why. Duck was black lacquered, but not crispy. Scallops were interesting and uniquely presented in a cohiba cigar box with a good mix of flavors and textures. Neither were really "wows." Kinda wish we had tried the hot pot and the lemon fish.
- OK, but fairly easy to do bettersmugpriusDined on 10/11/2014I think this restaurant is overrated. It isn't bad, but it just isn't all that good, especially considering how many good options there are for mid level dining there are in NOLA. The description sounds high concept, but the product is not terribly vibrant. It is also quite expensive. They have a good beer list though.
- All World!!!!ScooterDSMDined on 10/9/2014Be sure to get the Cohiba smoked scallops and the Ménage Foie. Sit at the bar and ask for Scott. This is the most imaginative restaurant I have ever eaten at.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nolaDined on 10/9/2014Liked the concept but too many different flavors. And some very strong flavors. Would have preferred a fresher, lighter taste.
- Something off with the menuOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/7/2014This restaurant is the case of it may (and I say may) sound good on the menu, but the flavors with the textures turns out awful. You can tell they are trying too hard to stand out with their menu, but they went a little too far if you ask me. The name is root, yet there is not root vegetable pieces on the menu, in fact half the menu is dedicated to meat! And by meat, it's salumi plates and other rotting flesh pieces, for $10 (I laugh at the carnivores). Decorations were okay, I like the location, but get rid of the white polyester seating bench and dim the lights.... you want to be cool right?
- All around great!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/5/2014Had an 8:30 pm reservation on a Sunday night, and it was quiet when we got there, but filled up a bit after we arrived. Sausages with various pickled fruits and veggies were quite tasty. The pomodoro salad and duck plate were split between my husband and I, and it was still plenty for the two of us. Cocktails were good, ambience was good, and the waiters and waitresses all covered us and served us without missing beats.Special Features:
- unique flavorsTooManyHobbysVIPDined on 9/28/2014Very unique flavor combinations for the exploring palette. Cheesecake was the only let down due to taste, size and price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ROOT of Great FoodNameDined on 9/27/2014If you want something new and different in NOLA, ROOT is your ideal place! The chef updates the menu about seasonally, and I am always excited to try something I usually never get because I always like it. I had the duck dish with a molasses sauce that was divine! The Malbec wine went well with the duck. It is definitely an energetic atmosphere, so it can be fun for a small group of friends. I can't wait to return next time I am in town to see what is on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent, knowledgeable servicedbw4nolaDined on 9/27/2014Laura was our server and she was fantastic. Very easy to talk to and she knows her menu very well, including making her own suggestions for the evening all the way from the start to dessert. Definitely going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/24/2014Tasty food, portions were larger than I expected. The aloo gobi appetizer was fantastic, as was the duck.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could have been five starsPickyeaterDined on 9/24/2014Food and service were excellent with a decent wine list and interesting cocktails. Lost some points for the cotton candy foie gras, which we found revolting. Service failed a little in wine handling and customer handling. We did get a little communicative about our views and staff backed off, seemingly unsure of how to handle us. Loved the chocolate cinnamon cayenne ice cream.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun, creative food.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/21/2014The food was creative and beautifully served. The servers were attentive, friendly, and helped us navigate the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hit & MissOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/21/2014Service was great as were the cocktails, the charcuterie and the dessert. I would go back and sit at the bar for drinks and the charcuterie. Both were outstanding. The salads and mains were just not anywhere as good. The flavors were not balanced and the mains were way, way too salty. I like salt, so for me to not be able to eat my main due to it being over salty is saying something. I think this place could be great if they could fine tune things.Special Features:
- Delicious!datenightDined on 9/20/2014We decided to come based on glowing Yelp reviews, and we definitely were not disappointed! The food was creative, delicious, and beautifully presented. The only slight criticism we had was that service was very slow to come to take our order, and other tables were attended to as if we were forgotten... We had to ask another server if we could place our order with her, and ended up having to wait longer for our server to come. Not sure what happened, as the place was not totally busy. Also, we didn't think the decor/ambience of the restaurant matched the quality of the food... we felt as if we were having 5-star food in a dimly lit Pinkberry. Overall though, the food wins it for us. Outstanding!Special Features:
- Great late night diningLAFoodieDined on 9/19/2014We had late night reservations at Root (11 pm). Service was spectacular. The cocktails were great. There were 3 of us in our group, and each had a different entree'. The best was the Cohiba Smoked Scallops. The presentation is pretty interesting. It would be nice if 6 scallops were in the dish instead of only 4 (my only real complaint of the night). They are large diver scallops and vegetables make up the rest of the dish, but the scallops are the star and more is better. Almost as nice was the duck entree'. Again, the only complaint is that the serving size is a little on the small size for an entree'. The best appetizer was the pig's ear salad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative CharcuterierafmanDined on 9/19/2014warehouse district upscale fun with unique creative charcuterie, knowledgeable staff, and excellent vibe. What more is there in life?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Birthday Dinner!MittensDined on 9/13/2014Hosted my best friend's birthday @ Root this weekend & had a wonderful experience. Food was pretty good, but the entire staff was so amazing that they made up for the less than stellar food! Got 2 appetizers. One was scrumptious & the other was too salty. Super cool atmosphere, great music & overall vibe. Very pretty interior & crowd. It was my second time dining there & I'll definitely visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time FoodiefatkidDined on 9/5/2014This was mine and my girlfriend's first time at a place like this. Rachel and Micheal were both knowledgeable and made us feel more at ease with the menu. Neither hesitated to explain was anything was and helped us decide what we'd like. The food was all very good-- we ordered some charcuterie, chicken wings, scallops, and sorbet and elote for dessert. The onion buttermilk dipping sauce on the wings was amazing. Overall a very pleasant and fun experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Innovative + ArtisticT012Dined on 9/2/2014Root was such a tantalizing experience, with our server Kevin being the most approachable representative! The visual aspect of each dish doesn't supersed it's level of taste!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatFinedinersVIPDined on 8/30/2014The food at this restaurant is extremely innovative, different and fabulous. Everything we had was wonderful. I had their special scallops in a cigar box. My husband and I shared 3 charcuterie items and he had the duck which could be the best duck I have ever tastedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Get the scallops!!!podchildDined on 8/29/2014Started with the duck liver pate, which was very rich and creamy, although not heavy. The pickled red onions with the duck liver pate was a great combo. Pickled bell peppers had a spiceness and were my favorite of all the pickled items that came on the charcuterie board. The relish with bacon was too sugary sweet. Scallops came in a smoky cigar box and were just perfect! Another main dish reminded me of a Western version of bi bim bop, and it was good enough but just a little bit on the salty side. Dessert overall was disappointing. There was cheesecake, that was lackluster and boring, and some kind of meringue cookie with ice cream, which was interesting flavor wise but also a let down. Service was very good by everyone. Waiter was Greg.Special Features:
- Excellent!JoeNickDined on 8/23/2014Our server knew the menu backwards and forwards, and was able to really help guide us through the choices. They put together an excellent meat & sausage platter. Not everyone wanted to try all the items on the platter, but once they did, they were hooked! It's not a cheap meal, but a great place for a special occasion.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/22/2014Food was good, but not on point like when I've dined here before. Service was slow. Food was prepared wrong and had to be sent back. Still love the restaurant... Just a bad night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Delightful and Interesting FindEdEllis3Dined on 8/21/2014I selected Root by looking for a restaurant close to where I was staying. It is located in an old warehouse with those beautiful wooden rafters and ceiling supports. They have decorated the place perfectly for that structure, leaving the ceiling wood showing and using a brick wall behind the bar. The menu is so interesting. There are many charcouterie options. I had a whole redfish whose presentation was as good as the flavor. The fish was not bony and easy to eat. My colleague had the lacquered duck which was a real hit and I would definitely get that on my next trip there. It was a large portion with a thick black (lacquered) sauce that was superb. The service was also very good. There were two waiters assigned to each table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cjbacpDined on 8/14/2014Some great dishes and truly innovative fare with terrific service. Some dishes were better than others- our desert was all presentation, no bite. My lemonfish was packed with flavor but could have been larger for the price and certainly deserved a better fitting side than the fried glass noodles. The pork belly and pig ear salad were both fantastic starters, but the pork belly wasn't particularly functional despite the delicious pork; it was very messy and hard to handle (literally: you had to make hand-wrapped lettuce wraps out of the ingredients). The marrow and duck were very strong entrees.Special Features:
- AMAZING ANNIVERSARYAlliandAdamDined on 8/13/2014From the second we checked in to the time we departed, the staff went above and beyond to make our night special. They gave us complimentary champagne and an appetizer for our Anniversary. At least 5 of the staff members came out to personally congratulate us. Not only were they friendly, but the staff was very educated on their food. They explained each step and showed us the best ways to each each item. The food was so fun! Each plate was an experience in its self! My favorite was the CBD small plate and the Cohiba Smoked Scallops!!! Both AMAZING! Overall it was a wonderful experience with deliciously fun food and an incredible staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- After a long haulFizzyFantaDined on 8/8/2014After flying from Melbourne and getting into New Orleans 30 hrs after we left home ,the one great thing I did was book a table at Root before we left .got there late and very tired Laura looked after us a treat guided us to four starters that blew us Aussies away with flavour and freshness and her favorite wine matched perfectly. We are in New Orleans for a week and will return for at least one more meal.Special Features:
- Fantastic Staff and Foodapower86Dined on 8/7/2014Super attentive, knowledgeable, and fun staff- one of the best of any restaurants in NOLA. They are great at comprising a cohesive meal in terms of flavor and dynamic. The food was absolutely fantastic- LOVED the Smoked Black Bean Porkbelly on the "Beginnings" portion of the menu. It will definitely be a regular on our restaurant rotation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!HalboyDined on 8/6/2014I heard from two friends about their experience at Root. One said wonderful and the other weird. I have been to most of the old great restuarants of New Orleans but now am in to trying the new. Root did not disappoint. Our waiter did a great job of explaining the creative dishes and making just the right recommendations. The entire staff helped to make it a great evening. Don't be afraid of the unusual menu. Your taste buds will be in for a treat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For New Orleans...disappointingLizElizabethDined on 8/4/2014My colleague and I dined here on a Monday night. I had done my research and was excited to try a boutique restaurant that was near to the Convention Center. I had the Ginja Ninja for my infusion cocktail. It was ok. I would not order it again. The amuse bouche sent out from the chef was delicious and I thought the rest of the meal would follow suit. I was wrong. I had the brussell sprout/pig ear salad. Yuck. The waitress said this was one of her favorites but the flavor profile did not appeal to me. My colleague had the chicken wings and the presentation was really cute. He said they were pretty good. I had the scallops in the cigar box - very good and unique. I would order that again. Altogether - it was an average experience.Special Features:
- Excellent Service and FoodyumyumDined on 8/3/2014We had a pregnant diner with us and they tailored the appetizer tray to include only foods that she could eat. Everything was exceptional. Flavors and combinations that you won't forget.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.