200 Julia St
New Orleans, LA 70130Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.rootnola.com/
- Phone: 5042529480
- Hours of Operation:
Friday & Saturday: 5pm-2am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Phillip L. Lopez
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Root
Located in New Orleans' historic Warehouse District, Root is a Modern American restaurant focused on traditional flavors and techniques. Chef Phillip Lopez is the culinary force behind Root's progressive flavors, forging new ideas in food preparation, techniques, textures, and service. His passion for the art of the meal fuels his fascination with food creativity. Root is the chef's story, each dish approached with ingenuity, conviction and soulful sourcing of the highest quality ingredients to produce sharp, clean, and bright flavors. Serious yet playful, Root offers the "WOW" factor with Chef Phillip's own spins on classic favorites, always maintaining a respecting for the flavors of the food. Our mantra: Eat. Here. Now.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Root reviews from OpenTable diners
77 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (64)special occasion (38)hot spot (27)late-night find (23)neighborhood gem (22)good for groups (21)romantic (15)notable wine list (14)vibrant bar scene (13)great for lunch (9)great for brunch (3)great for outdoor dining (3)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Fabulous Birthday Dinner!MittensDined on 9/13/2014Hosted my best friend's birthday @ Root this weekend & had a wonderful experience. Food was pretty good, but the entire staff was so amazing that they made up for the less than stellar food! Got 2 appetizers. One was scrumptious & the other was too salty. Super cool atmosphere, great music & overall vibe. Very pretty interior & crowd. It was my second time dining there & I'll definitely visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time FoodiefatkidDined on 9/5/2014This was mine and my girlfriend's first time at a place like this. Rachel and Micheal were both knowledgeable and made us feel more at ease with the menu. Neither hesitated to explain was anything was and helped us decide what we'd like. The food was all very good-- we ordered some charcuterie, chicken wings, scallops, and sorbet and elote for dessert. The onion buttermilk dipping sauce on the wings was amazing. Overall a very pleasant and fun experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Innovative + ArtisticT012Dined on 9/2/2014Root was such a tantalizing experience, with our server Kevin being the most approachable representative! The visual aspect of each dish doesn't supersed it's level of taste!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatFinedinersVIPDined on 8/30/2014The food at this restaurant is extremely innovative, different and fabulous. Everything we had was wonderful. I had their special scallops in a cigar box. My husband and I shared 3 charcuterie items and he had the duck which could be the best duck I have ever tastedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Get the scallops!!!podchildDined on 8/29/2014Started with the duck liver pate, which was very rich and creamy, although not heavy. The pickled red onions with the duck liver pate was a great combo. Pickled bell peppers had a spiceness and were my favorite of all the pickled items that came on the charcuterie board. The relish with bacon was too sugary sweet. Scallops came in a smoky cigar box and were just perfect! Another main dish reminded me of a Western version of bi bim bop, and it was good enough but just a little bit on the salty side. Dessert overall was disappointing. There was cheesecake, that was lackluster and boring, and some kind of meringue cookie with ice cream, which was interesting flavor wise but also a let down. Service was very good by everyone. Waiter was Greg.Special Features:
- Excellent!JoeNickDined on 8/23/2014Our server knew the menu backwards and forwards, and was able to really help guide us through the choices. They put together an excellent meat & sausage platter. Not everyone wanted to try all the items on the platter, but once they did, they were hooked! It's not a cheap meal, but a great place for a special occasion.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/22/2014Food was good, but not on point like when I've dined here before. Service was slow. Food was prepared wrong and had to be sent back. Still love the restaurant... Just a bad night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Delightful and Interesting FindEdEllis3Dined on 8/21/2014I selected Root by looking for a restaurant close to where I was staying. It is located in an old warehouse with those beautiful wooden rafters and ceiling supports. They have decorated the place perfectly for that structure, leaving the ceiling wood showing and using a brick wall behind the bar. The menu is so interesting. There are many charcouterie options. I had a whole redfish whose presentation was as good as the flavor. The fish was not bony and easy to eat. My colleague had the lacquered duck which was a real hit and I would definitely get that on my next trip there. It was a large portion with a thick black (lacquered) sauce that was superb. The service was also very good. There were two waiters assigned to each table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cjbacpDined on 8/14/2014Some great dishes and truly innovative fare with terrific service. Some dishes were better than others- our desert was all presentation, no bite. My lemonfish was packed with flavor but could have been larger for the price and certainly deserved a better fitting side than the fried glass noodles. The pork belly and pig ear salad were both fantastic starters, but the pork belly wasn't particularly functional despite the delicious pork; it was very messy and hard to handle (literally: you had to make hand-wrapped lettuce wraps out of the ingredients). The marrow and duck were very strong entrees.Special Features:
- AMAZING ANNIVERSARYAlliandAdamDined on 8/13/2014From the second we checked in to the time we departed, the staff went above and beyond to make our night special. They gave us complimentary champagne and an appetizer for our Anniversary. At least 5 of the staff members came out to personally congratulate us. Not only were they friendly, but the staff was very educated on their food. They explained each step and showed us the best ways to each each item. The food was so fun! Each plate was an experience in its self! My favorite was the CBD small plate and the Cohiba Smoked Scallops!!! Both AMAZING! Overall it was a wonderful experience with deliciously fun food and an incredible staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- After a long haulFizzyFantaDined on 8/8/2014After flying from Melbourne and getting into New Orleans 30 hrs after we left home ,the one great thing I did was book a table at Root before we left .got there late and very tired Laura looked after us a treat guided us to four starters that blew us Aussies away with flavour and freshness and her favorite wine matched perfectly. We are in New Orleans for a week and will return for at least one more meal.Special Features:
- Fantastic Staff and Foodapower86Dined on 8/7/2014Super attentive, knowledgeable, and fun staff- one of the best of any restaurants in NOLA. They are great at comprising a cohesive meal in terms of flavor and dynamic. The food was absolutely fantastic- LOVED the Smoked Black Bean Porkbelly on the "Beginnings" portion of the menu. It will definitely be a regular on our restaurant rotation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!HalboyDined on 8/6/2014I heard from two friends about their experience at Root. One said wonderful and the other weird. I have been to most of the old great restuarants of New Orleans but now am in to trying the new. Root did not disappoint. Our waiter did a great job of explaining the creative dishes and making just the right recommendations. The entire staff helped to make it a great evening. Don't be afraid of the unusual menu. Your taste buds will be in for a treat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For New Orleans...disappointingLizElizabethDined on 8/4/2014My colleague and I dined here on a Monday night. I had done my research and was excited to try a boutique restaurant that was near to the Convention Center. I had the Ginja Ninja for my infusion cocktail. It was ok. I would not order it again. The amuse bouche sent out from the chef was delicious and I thought the rest of the meal would follow suit. I was wrong. I had the brussell sprout/pig ear salad. Yuck. The waitress said this was one of her favorites but the flavor profile did not appeal to me. My colleague had the chicken wings and the presentation was really cute. He said they were pretty good. I had the scallops in the cigar box - very good and unique. I would order that again. Altogether - it was an average experience.Special Features:
- Excellent Service and FoodyumyumDined on 8/3/2014We had a pregnant diner with us and they tailored the appetizer tray to include only foods that she could eat. Everything was exceptional. Flavors and combinations that you won't forget.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hit or miss for foodiesTellitlikeitisDined on 8/2/2014Service was extremely slow and clumsy. The food is eclectic but not always successful. Get the charcuterie, fois and pate with cocktails. Chicken wing app was the best thing we got which is not a good thing at an upscale restaurant (I wouldn't normally even order that but someone at the table did). The infamous scallop dish in the cigar box I have officially written off for good. Way too smoky and not the prettiest thing once you open the box. Scallops cooked perfect but the fennel and cauliflower were just charred and too burnt for me. I've had the dish 3 times-1st time was opening night so I excused, 2nd time could have been a fluke but 3rd time tells me that is how the chef wants to serve it.Special Features:
- Great new restaurantTvgirlVIPDined on 7/22/2014Fantastic experience. Atmosphere is earthy but modern,laid- back chic. Fun, eclectic specialty drink menu, very original and delicious food. Get the things you think you won't like, because you will! Generous portions and surprising pairings work magically together. Go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- On the go...GeauxboxDined on 7/19/2014Excellent food and knowledgable service. We ordered a little but too much and wanted to take the rest of the Cohiba Scallops and Pork Belly home. Unfortunately, they were not boxed up to take home. However, it was a great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodfoodexperiencejunkieDined on 7/13/2014The food was very good, especially the house made charcuterie. Fabulous house smoked salmon also. Attentive service. Would highly recommend to people interested in a good meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing for an adventurous eater!MargolDined on 7/13/2014I went with 3 of my friends and all 4 of us had an incredible experience! We started with the charcuterie board that they loaded us up with each selection they prepare in house. The cocktail list was great with different interesting mixes of drinks to chose from. The menu had various, interesting plates on it perfectly fit for an adventuresome eater. We got a bunch of different things on the menu ranging from a duck heart and peach salad to foie gras dippin dots and deliciously prepared bone marrow. I would DEFINITELY recommend this and would love to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TGMRTGMRVIPDined on 7/4/2014Overall good but expected more for the price point.
- VanessaDined on 7/3/2014great food, service leaves a lot to be desired. There was one waiter for the entire restaurant on 7/3/14 What appeared to be the manager was helping out somewhat and then a gentleman that would refill our drinks. This made the service slow and lacking if we needed anything at all. Lastly, I was told they had Titos Vodka. Indeed, I did see a Titos bottle behind the bar. I ordered two different drinks with Titos and it was NOT Titos that I was served. Not sure if they had replinished the bottle with another vodka or simply didn't pour what I asked but suffice to say I will not be going back. Which is too bad b/c the food is actually quite tasty.
- Lunch at RootLouLouDined on 7/2/2014Enjoyed lunch at Root. The charcuterie and small plate selections are great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stellar service!elleDined on 6/30/2014The service was outstanding! Our servers provided detailed information about every dish in a friendly professional manner. She was a model of unhurried efficiency and took a genuine interest in our feedback. As a result of her descriptive recommendations, we tried many new foods that evening and thoroughly enjoyed everything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative menunomnomnomDined on 6/28/2014Our waiter did a great job of explaining the menu. We chose three items from the Charcuterie section of the menu, they were all fantastic. When I go back I will probably just make a dinner out of the many charcuterie selections. The crispy pig ear salad was also very fun and tasty. My only complaint was the booth seating was low in comparison to the table. Two thumb up from my stomach.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dictionary please!MadameGrandMangerDined on 6/28/2014Pleasant, interesting decor. Wait staff truly friendly and very helpful. The wait staff was invaluable to the experience because the menu had many terms on it that needed clarification. If there is any criticism at all, it would be for the lack of explanation for the social section of the menu, along with it's sausage menu beneath it. The restaurant is impressive and the food, once you know what you're getting, is grand.Special Features:
- not impressedsaintsfan123Dined on 6/27/2014Atmosphere was nice. Although the food was unique it was not that good. You don't get a lot of food for the price. Really expensive appetizers. All of the wine is really expensive with not to many options for moderately priced wines. Overall great service; however, the food is what will keep me from going back.
- Thoughtful menu for foodie typesDCtoFrederickDined on 6/25/2014Delicious and thoughtful menu for those who get excited about charcuterie and house house sausages! I loved the face bacon! Service is casual and knowledgable. A little too lax at times, 20 minutes to get our beer and wine to the table. Overall, very please and would return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too SaltyDallasFoodieDined on 6/23/2014I've eaten at Root before and wanted to impress my dining companion. I understand amuse bouche and that it is gratis. I was not amused but rather disappointed. We ordered salmon and chorizo from the starters and the salmon had no flavor, however, the condiments that accompany the meats on the board were interesting. My companion ordered the Korean short ribs and I ordered the chorizo dusted scallops. The ribs were tough and the scallops were TOO SALTY. I was so disappointed because otherwise the scallops were prepared well but the chorizo dust could not be scraped off. The wait staff was attentive and they might have addressed our complaints but it was so loud and uncomfortable in the restaurant that I could not wait for dinner to end.
- You cant go wrongLisaEDined on 6/22/2014Everything at Root was simply amazing. Not just another trendy place...the food is absolutely winderful. Up beat and lively atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DazzlingflorencefugitiveDined on 6/20/2014Truly, dazzling is the best word we have found to describe our recent meal here. Everything on the menu far exceeded our expectation. We are experienced, adventurous foodies, and no other restaurant's menu has left us so puzzled and intrigued. Each course was surprising, fantastic, and uniquely prepared and presented. Great care is taken with preparation of seemingly simple items, pairings are thoughtful, and creative. It seems Chef Lopez possesses a knowledge of food and flavor relationship that renders preconceived notions obsolete. Someone with a deepest understanding of the foods themselves and of the human palate, unencumbered by formal training concepts, at play in the kitchen. Truly dazzling. As the neon sign reads, EAT. HERE. NOW.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinerMommadooDined on 6/15/2014Very unique and difference experience as far as meal choices, which would make some diners uncomfortable, but the comfortable quiet ambience equaled it out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't go wrongDblAVIPDined on 6/12/2014If you are willing to spend more than $40 per person...this is the one and only NOLA Hot SpotSpecial Features:
- Form over functionOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/8/2014We had dinner for four on a Sunday evening, the restaurant was nearly empty but the service was still just OK. The food was good for the most part but portions were small, presentation was original but over thought.Special Features:
- Luvgreatfood12Luvgreatfood12VIPDined on 6/8/2014Our third visit to Root. The Chorizo and Rillettes apps w many-flavored accoutrements was fab. The steamed whole fish was excellent. Sadly tho the lemon fish (Cobia) sous vide was poor having a muddy river bottom flavor. The Manager kindly comped the $29 cost. Service was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MUST GO!watergirlDined on 6/7/2014I pride myself in being a New Orleans foodie- been there done that everywhere! I can even say that all the big chefs have personally made me a meal. After saying that- this place tops the charts! Service, food, atmosphere wins all the way around! So impressed by everything. If you are not into good food, this place is not for you- you have to ENJOY eating and bring people who like to eat. This place should have huge lines waiting to get in! ITS GREAT!! Late night fun, I can't wait to go for lunch too and check out Root Squared. WOW a great dining experience!Special Features:
- The Whole EnchaladaAndyDined on 6/7/2014The Root provides a great dining experience with a unique selection and presentation of food. Certainly different to the area however, very good. If you are not afraid to step out of the box then you should give the Root a chance. The service was outstanding. All staff members and I do mean all staff members made certain that everyone at the table was taken care of and did not need anything. It was very impressive that each server was not afraid to take care of any table not just the one assigned to them. A great dining experience.Special Features:
- Not for those with things to doKaitoDined on 6/7/2014I'll start by saying the food was excellent. The waitstaff, however, needs a lot of work. It was 20 minutes after being seated that we could even put our drink order in; the waiter that took our drink order wouldn't take our food order, insisting that another waitress take that order. Following that wait, it was another 15 minutes until we could put in our appetizer/entree order, where the waitress attempted to explain what a clay pot was to my fiancée. Another 20 minutes before our appetizer appeared. 30 minutes after the appetizer, our main course arrived (1hr 25 minutes after being seated). After we scarfed our food because we were so hungry, it took another 15 minutes after asking to get the check after. I won't be coming back, ever.
- Perfect anniversary dinnerDentalBenDined on 6/6/2014When we couldn't order everything on the menu, our wonderful server, Rachel, helped set us on a course through the beginnings (don't skip liver mousse or pickeled tongue), to the salad ("duck hearts that taste like tiny morsels of steak") & ended in a smoke filled dream (get the scallops). We also couldn't resist the goat cheese cheesecake... Root lived up to the hype...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- what a foodie experience,DeliciousClaireDined on 6/5/2014The food was excellent and the service was terrific. Can't wait to go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.