200 Julia St
New Orleans, LA 70130Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.rootnola.com/
- Phone: (504) 252-9480
- Hours of Operation:
Friday & Saturday: 5pm-2am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Phillip L. Lopez
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Root
Located in New Orleans' historic Warehouse District, Root is a Modern American restaurant focused on traditional flavors and techniques. Chef Phillip Lopez is the culinary force behind Root's progressive flavors, forging new ideas in food preparation, techniques, textures, and service. His passion for the art of the meal fuels his fascination with food creativity. Root is the chef's story, each dish approached with ingenuity, conviction and soulful sourcing of the highest quality ingredients to produce sharp, clean, and bright flavors. Serious yet playful, Root offers the "WOW" factor with Chef Phillip's own spins on classic favorites, always maintaining a respecting for the flavors of the food. Our mantra: Eat. Here. Now.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Root reviews from OpenTable diners
101 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (84)hot spot (39)neighborhood gem (36)special occasion (33)good for groups (26)late-night find (21)romantic (18)vibrant bar scene (16)notable wine list (11)great for lunch (8)great for outdoor dining (4)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- A culinary adventure!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/19/2014Every once in a while you'll sit down to a dining experience that keeps you in awe until after the last flavors fade. Go to Root, try anything. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I enjoyed this place!MichelleCDined on 11/17/2014I loved the food and the drinks were great. The service was very slow and I was very tired by the end of dinner, but I was very impressed with the food and the ambiance. The brussels sprout salad with pig ears was one on the BEST foods I have EVER eaten!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, overpriced wine and too much noiseWaldVIPDined on 11/17/2014Food was creative and very well presented. Our group started with charcuterie, enjoyed the pigs ear appetizer, and had the scallops, duck, and a pasta. All were tasty--somewhat uneven portion sizes. The duck should be for two. The wine list was ridiculous. Prices highly inflated. By the glass was $40 and only one or two bottles of red less than $100. The noise level started off fine, but once the place filled up, we could not converse--just too much noise. I doubt I would go back, unless we scheduled a very early dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food, great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/16/2014We had a late dinner here while visiting NOLA recently. The staff was fabulous - friendly and helpful. The food was delicious and over the top in a great way. We enjoyed the crispy pig ear salad and the fried chicken wings with miso buttermilk biscuits and finished with a chef's selection of charcuterie. The drinks were great, the staff was appropriately attentive and the coursing was perfect. Overall, this is a great place and we will be putting it on our list of regular stops when we visit NOLA, as we do almost annually.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Minor GemKen332Dined on 11/15/2014Food and service were excellent. The sausage, roasted brussel sprouts and pig ear, and fish were excellent. Bartender's wine recommendation was a surprise and excellent (Virginia blend of vignoier and sauvignon blanc). The manager was very helpful the next day after we lost our receipt. .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative cuisine in the capital of that genrecmcnewVIPDined on 11/9/2014We had considered Root since arriving in New Orleans. Decided that it was the best choice for dining after the Jenifer Hudson concert due to it's close proximity to the venue. What a great choice it turned out to be! After starting with an amazing roasted Roma tomato salad we experienced some amazing entree's. My wife's Bolognese was wonderful but the pièce de résistance was the Cohiba Scallop dish. I didn't pay much attention to the "Cohiba" label when I ordered, I simply wanted scallops for dinner. What a surprise awaited me when the main dish arrived. Our server arrived with a square cigar box that was closed and then placed the box in front of me. She then proceeded to open the lid of the box, literally under my nose. When that happened, a visual and aromatic experience occurred that was amazing. I saw a cigar box lined with wax paper full of scallops, sautéed onions, cauliflower, red peppers and other delightful goodies while the aromas exploded into my face. All I could muster was "WOW" and then proceeded to dive into an amazing meal. I tasted as good as it looked and smelled. Truly exceptional culinary experience!!!! I'd give this place 6 stars if that was an option!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Surprising FindOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/7/2014Although I am not an adventurous foodie, I was with a couple of friends who are. Menu items here that I have not seen anywhere else. The vibe was cool, service was great, and food was unusual and very good. Great place to share plates for the maximum exposure to the unique menu. Not crazy about the background music, but that was my only complaint, and it did not really detract from the overall experience.Special Features:
- CloseKathyDined on 11/7/2014Roots is near the convention center and is a great alternative to food there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Late Lunch SurpriseBurgundyGirlDined on 11/3/2014Root lives up to it's name. If you like root veggies (and charcuterie), this is definitely the place for you. The cocktails were as creative as the dishes. How does roasted brussel sprouts salad with very crispy pig ear fries sound? OMG, so good! Waiter was a little green, but recovered nicely. I will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Lived up to expectationsWeaselinaDined on 11/1/2014The menu was loaded with must try dishes, including the charcuterie selection and sausage selection. We had a sample board of the two and it was unbelievable lay delicious. We could have just had a full sampler of this and we would have been delighted. But the entrees were perfectly cooked and so, so good. I insisted we order every dessert on the menu and sample them, and again, totally delighted with the selection and the perfect execution, from presentation to every bite. I had high hopes for Root, but sometimes a high end restaurant can be a huge let down. This was not the case. I had brought my friends out and was so happy that we had one of the best meals we had eaten on our trip to New Orleans. Go here. Do it. You won't be sorry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible food! Best meal In NOLAshellyVIPDined on 11/1/2014We ate at most all the best restaurants! August, bayona, pesce, arnauds and root was by far the best meal we had in NOLA. The decor is hideous. But if you can look past that the food is to die for. I would eat here every time I come to NOLA. A must eat for foodies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wait till it improvesTastytom32VIPDined on 10/29/2014Service was beyond painfully slow. Tried 3 dishes Indian Vegetarian all heat, no flavor and mostly mushy, scallops in cigar box was very good. Louisiana shrimp roll had 4-5 tiny cold shrimp barely any sauce or seasoning visible or taste-able on gummy white roll. An unbearable wait & disappointing food.
- pricey but worth itunimpressedDined on 10/25/2014Went on a Friday night and was surprised to find this great restaurant relatively quiet. I could easily see how some would find this place pretentious and over-priced, but my wife and I loved the creative food. We got a 3 item charcuterie plate and agreed we could have made a meal from the charcuterie selections -- all AWESOME! I did the chicken wings and scallops, my wife got a potato/cauliflower/eggplant salad and ribeye and enjoyed everything. I had the cheeseake dessert and it was tasty and unique. Service was great and VERY acoommodating of my wife's food allergies. The cost will keep this from me from being a regular, but if the next time I have foodie friends in to visit, this place is definitely on the agenda.Special Features:
- Monday Night DinnerSueSueBRVIPDined on 10/20/2014Food was amazing. I ordered scallops and husband ordered the Bolognese along with a brussel sprout salad and tomato salad. Salads were served quickly. We had to ask the manager about our entrees - very slow that evening. It was worth the wait, however I don't think other patrons would be so patient and incline to go back. I do recommend because once the entrees arrived - they were on top of their game.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative menutravelerDined on 10/20/2014Creative, upscale menu that veers from the standard New Orleans fair. Unique food presentation.Special Features:
- It felt like we had been "Punk'd"HungryHuskyDined on 10/19/2014Most disappointing dining experience we've had in the decades we’ve been regular visitors to New Orleans. Service was poor in every aspect; they were out of 2 of 3 special cocktails we ordered off their list; wine bottle list was poorly conceived and wildly inflated; the pour for a glass of wine was worse. Worst of all, the food was contrived, not well prepared or presented and incredibly overpriced. It became a so-bad-it’s-good experience. Crowning touch was leaving with the glower of the chef and waitress, who received the most generous mandatory 20% tip in history because we didn’t have a choice. If we did, it would have been the first time in several years we would have left less than 15%--and even that would have been too generous.
- Creative, Unique and daringMadAurieDined on 10/19/2014Really interesting. Great food. Great service. Innovative without being inaccessible. Goat cheese cheesecake fantastic!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beyond Loud; DisappointingSupernaniumDined on 10/17/2014We found the service staff at Root friendly and attentive. We found the noise level so high that we needed to be hard wired to talk to each other across a two person table. My wife enjoyed her food. My salad was imaginative, my desert interestingly presented, and my entree so salty as to be almost inedible. In fairness to the restaurant, I did not send the entree back, but I would be reluctant to recommend this restaurant for either food or conservation.Special Features:
- You like charcuterie, go herethomas5Dined on 10/16/2014Root is a medium-sized restaurant, with a very interesting menu. If you like charcuterie, go here, it is a must! Really excellent! The rest of the menu is also executed excellently, including the desserts. It has a goods selection of wines and beers, and some very interesting cocktails.Special Features:
- Surprising!OaklandishDined on 10/15/2014Went with a group of 8 friends and had an amazing meal. The restaurant is in the warehouse district and they kept the original structure so it is loft-like and very casual. Do not let the casual decor deter you from expecting a superb meal that is more refined than the decor. Loved the mix of casual with the serious attention to food. Everything we had was great, including the cocktails. The charcuterie is not to be missed. I don't usually order because it usually is something you can get and have at home but all the selections are made there and are unbelievable.Special Features:
- First Time VisitingFoodHunterVIPDined on 10/15/2014I came to this restaurant after reading many reviews. The menu was a bit unusual but the food was really good. Nice versions of more traditional dishes. The waiter was really helpful, professional, and polite. The best dish we had was the scallops served in the Cuban cigar box. I would recommend trying this restaurant if you are looking for a place with a unique experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- started off great but got worseSteveSFVIPDined on 10/13/2014I really enjoyed the first part of our meal at Root - cocktails are outstanding, and the wine list is good, interesting, quirky, with many great options. The appetizers were stellar, particularly the spicy Aloo Gobi. But then the main courses came. Butterfish was bland, overcooked, and without a good flavor. (I wonder if the quality of the fish was the problem.) The duck was tough and chewy. And then the olive oil cake/buttermilk desert came - and it was pretty awful. Such a disappointment. The manager came over and comped one of our dinners because he asked for, and we gave him, an honest review of the fish. Still, it's a shame he had to do that. The kitchen needs to create a more consistent presentation and support the front-of-houseSpecial Features:
- Mixed reviewDining2014Dined on 10/12/2014Cauliflower /eggplant excellent. Cucumber tomato salad good. Charcuterie good. Korean short rib disappointing. On bone short ribs were tough.Special Features:
- Some highlights but disappointmentsBlivetDined on 10/11/2014Apps - chicken wings and tomato panzanella salad were fabulous. We were talked out of the hot pot by waitstaff. Not sure why. Duck was black lacquered, but not crispy. Scallops were interesting and uniquely presented in a cohiba cigar box with a good mix of flavors and textures. Neither were really "wows." Kinda wish we had tried the hot pot and the lemon fish.
- OK, but fairly easy to do bettersmugpriusDined on 10/11/2014I think this restaurant is overrated. It isn't bad, but it just isn't all that good, especially considering how many good options there are for mid level dining there are in NOLA. The description sounds high concept, but the product is not terribly vibrant. It is also quite expensive. They have a good beer list though.
- All World!!!!ScooterDSMDined on 10/9/2014Be sure to get the Cohiba smoked scallops and the Ménage Foie. Sit at the bar and ask for Scott. This is the most imaginative restaurant I have ever eaten at.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nolaDined on 10/9/2014Liked the concept but too many different flavors. And some very strong flavors. Would have preferred a fresher, lighter taste.
- Something off with the menuluv2eatDined on 10/7/2014This restaurant is the case of it may (and I say may) sound good on the menu, but the flavors with the textures turns out awful. You can tell they are trying too hard to stand out with their menu, but they went a little too far if you ask me. The name is root, yet there is not root vegetable pieces on the menu, in fact half the menu is dedicated to meat! And by meat, it's salumi plates and other rotting flesh pieces, for $10 (I laugh at the carnivores). Decorations were okay, I like the location, but get rid of the white polyester seating bench and dim the lights.... you want to be cool right?
- All around great!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/5/2014Had an 8:30 pm reservation on a Sunday night, and it was quiet when we got there, but filled up a bit after we arrived. Sausages with various pickled fruits and veggies were quite tasty. The pomodoro salad and duck plate were split between my husband and I, and it was still plenty for the two of us. Cocktails were good, ambience was good, and the waiters and waitresses all covered us and served us without missing beats.Special Features:
- unique flavorsTooManyHobbysVIPDined on 9/28/2014Very unique flavor combinations for the exploring palette. Cheesecake was the only let down due to taste, size and price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ROOT of Great FoodNameDined on 9/27/2014If you want something new and different in NOLA, ROOT is your ideal place! The chef updates the menu about seasonally, and I am always excited to try something I usually never get because I always like it. I had the duck dish with a molasses sauce that was divine! The Malbec wine went well with the duck. It is definitely an energetic atmosphere, so it can be fun for a small group of friends. I can't wait to return next time I am in town to see what is on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent, knowledgeable servicedbw4nolaDined on 9/27/2014Laura was our server and she was fantastic. Very easy to talk to and she knows her menu very well, including making her own suggestions for the evening all the way from the start to dessert. Definitely going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/24/2014Tasty food, portions were larger than I expected. The aloo gobi appetizer was fantastic, as was the duck.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could have been five starsPickyeaterDined on 9/24/2014Food and service were excellent with a decent wine list and interesting cocktails. Lost some points for the cotton candy foie gras, which we found revolting. Service failed a little in wine handling and customer handling. We did get a little communicative about our views and staff backed off, seemingly unsure of how to handle us. Loved the chocolate cinnamon cayenne ice cream.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun, creative food.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/21/2014The food was creative and beautifully served. The servers were attentive, friendly, and helped us navigate the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hit & MissOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/21/2014Service was great as were the cocktails, the charcuterie and the dessert. I would go back and sit at the bar for drinks and the charcuterie. Both were outstanding. The salads and mains were just not anywhere as good. The flavors were not balanced and the mains were way, way too salty. I like salt, so for me to not be able to eat my main due to it being over salty is saying something. I think this place could be great if they could fine tune things.Special Features:
- Delicious!datenightDined on 9/20/2014We decided to come based on glowing Yelp reviews, and we definitely were not disappointed! The food was creative, delicious, and beautifully presented. The only slight criticism we had was that service was very slow to come to take our order, and other tables were attended to as if we were forgotten... We had to ask another server if we could place our order with her, and ended up having to wait longer for our server to come. Not sure what happened, as the place was not totally busy. Also, we didn't think the decor/ambience of the restaurant matched the quality of the food... we felt as if we were having 5-star food in a dimly lit Pinkberry. Overall though, the food wins it for us. Outstanding!Special Features:
- Great late night diningLAFoodieDined on 9/19/2014We had late night reservations at Root (11 pm). Service was spectacular. The cocktails were great. There were 3 of us in our group, and each had a different entree'. The best was the Cohiba Smoked Scallops. The presentation is pretty interesting. It would be nice if 6 scallops were in the dish instead of only 4 (my only real complaint of the night). They are large diver scallops and vegetables make up the rest of the dish, but the scallops are the star and more is better. Almost as nice was the duck entree'. Again, the only complaint is that the serving size is a little on the small size for an entree'. The best appetizer was the pig's ear salad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative CharcuterierafmanDined on 9/19/2014warehouse district upscale fun with unique creative charcuterie, knowledgeable staff, and excellent vibe. What more is there in life?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Birthday Dinner!MittensDined on 9/13/2014Hosted my best friend's birthday @ Root this weekend & had a wonderful experience. Food was pretty good, but the entire staff was so amazing that they made up for the less than stellar food! Got 2 appetizers. One was scrumptious & the other was too salty. Super cool atmosphere, great music & overall vibe. Very pretty interior & crowd. It was my second time dining there & I'll definitely visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.