Root 246 at Hotel Corque
420 Alisal Road
Solvang, CA 93463Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
Root 246 at Hotel Corque
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.root-246.com/
- Phone: 8056868681
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday: 5:00pm-9:00pm(last seating 8:45pm)
Dinner: Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm-10:00pm (last seating 9:45pm)
Sunday Brunch 10:00am-2:00pm
Lounge opens at 4:00pm Tuesday - Sunday
Lounge closes at 11:00pm Tuesday Wednesday Thursday and Sunday
Lounge closes at 12:00am Friday and Saturday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Join us Sunday Brunch Buffet 10:00am-2:00pm
$26.99 for Adults
Tax and gratuity not included
A word from Root 246 at Hotel Corque
One of the most unforgettable dining experiences in Santa Barbara wine country featuring the ultimate in farm-to-table cuisine.Continued
Local ingredients with world-class cuisine -American through and through. An innovative and artful cuisine, that comes with organic, local indulgence and connection.
Local ingredients with world-class cuisine -American through and through. An innovative and artful cuisine, that comes with organic, local indulgence and connection.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Root 246 at Hotel Corque - Best Restaurants in Solvang ›
Root 246 at Hotel Corque reviews from OpenTable diners
74 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (48)special occasion (44)romantic (42)notable wine list (36)great for outdoor dining (28)neighborhood gem (19)vibrant bar scene (14)good for groups (10)hot spot (10)great for brunch (6)late-night find (5)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Good diningExcellenyVIPDined on 8/31/2014Good dining. Menu limited but items were very good. Staff attentive.Special Features:
- A REAL DISAPPOINTMENT--A DUDBillyboy53Dined on 8/27/2014While the venue is quite beautiful, and the service (contrary to many reviews) excellent, this place seems plagued with never having what is on the menu (see many old reviews). On our visit: Sangiovese wine ("SOLD OUT"): duck confit appetizer ("NOT ON THE MENU TONIGHT"); entrees smoked grouse ("SOLD OUT") and duck l'orange ("SOLD OUT"). We had just two excellent appetizers (brussels sprouts and poutine), and left. We spent a paltry $26 with tip, which isn't going to keep the doors open. The Chumash owners have done so well with their Casino and Hotel, and their wonderful Hadsten House motel, and their Corque Hotel adjacent to this place. Why such a dud for a restaurant with a short menu and high prices? We will not return.Special Features:
- Beautiful RestaurantKenLDined on 8/26/2014This was my second visit to Root 246. Both were wonderful. The food is excellent, the service is friendly and efficient, and the decor is outstanding. It is one of the most comfortable and attractive restaurants I have been in--anywhere. Kudos to the architect and designer. My only "negative" observation is that the menu is a bit limited. I enjoyed the duck, and my sister had the chicken. We shared the pear salad. All were very good.Special Features:
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/24/2014The food and service were amazing. The Wagu Beef was so tender and beautifully presented. Our waitress was lovely.
- Nice placetravel2dineVIPDined on 8/19/2014Great food, wine and service. Seating and low tables a little odd. Nice location in tourist town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad to have tried Root 246.GmanDined on 8/17/2014Found a gem in Solvang. The area has very few outstanding eating establishments, however this is one of them. The stealhead trout was probably the best we ever had outside of catching our own while up north. Both meals were A+. Server seemed confused and very rushed at times. Someone mentioned it earlier, what's with the oversize Mad Hatter chairs a tiny little tables? We will be back, often.Special Features:
- We LOVE Root 246JulieofSYDined on 8/15/2014Absolutely love Root 246 and their "Martini Flight" where I was able to choose 3 different Yummy martinis! Great food as it always is and my husband loves the "whiskey list". Great for a romantic date night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing ambienceJeffTVIPDined on 8/14/2014We were pleasantly surprised how amazing the bar and dining area. It was pretty slow on a later Thursday. They have a great martini flight, and some good wines by the glass, though they don't do wine flights. We did mostly appetizers, and were a bit disappointed that two of their best reviewed ones (bison tartar and duck bites) were sold out. We ate some of their others, which were good/very good, but not why we came to this place. Overall the server (who is also their beer manager), was what made the night, along with the setting.Special Features:
- So so for the pricePjacrouxVIPDined on 8/14/2014Food was excellent. Service was lacking. I had the impression that our waitress was stationed on the patio and checked on us when she had time.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/10/2014Everything about this restaurant is fantastic from the food to the ambiance, I could not find one thing that they could improve on except for the bartender in the lounge was a bit slow, we probably would have ordered an appetizer but she took too long to take our order, but she was quite friendly and the drink was terrificSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/6/2014We have been coming to Root246 for several years, and the food has always been excellent. Service has consistently been only average however. It appears whenever we have visited the restaurant there is always a large party being served, so everyone else in the restaurant has to wait for service. If you plan to attend the local Solvang theater after dinner, I would recommend a minimum of 2 hours if you plan to dine at Root 246.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexpected style in quaint SolvangBallardDined on 8/5/2014Root 246 is a hidden sophisticated gem in quaint Solvang. The décor is stylish, with several options including the dining room, the bar and the lovely outdoor patio. The menu has mouth watering gourmet options that offer a nod to the restaurant's owners, the native Chumash Indians, but very palatable to American and International clientele. The wine list favors outstanding local wineries and appellations. The servers are both professional and knowledgeable. We found the service a bit slow, but were in no rush. I highly recommend this fine dining experience.Special Features:
- Nice mealOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/1/2014We ate here about a year ago and had a good experience. The food is really good and very well prepared. They have a great wine list and the wait staff really takes care of you. It is well worth the effort to eat here!Special Features:
- Great place for Sunday BrunchoperachickDined on 7/27/2014We made a reservation for the opening time at Sunday Brunch. We sat outside. It was a beautiful morning and very quiet and peaceful. The service was unobtrusive but attentive. The buffet is not large, but everything is delicious. We had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A birthday dinnerErikDined on 7/25/2014We called ahead for reservations and were given 5:30 pm. We were seated near the front, a small table for 2. We noted that the next table was filled around 6 pm. and several couples or parties over the next hour in the larger "booths" on the other side of the room. It would have been much nicer had we been given that choice upon arriving. The food: it was cooked very well and served nicely with professional, friendly servers who cared about keeping us happy. The overall experience was very good.Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/24/2014Our anniversary dinner was perfect….good service, good menu recommendations and a most memorable personalized complimentary dessert!Special Features:
- Wow... just, wow!malibuDined on 7/20/2014A first time visit....great atmosphere. We went @ 5 on a Sunday and it was empty. Service was impeccable. My husband and I split a half Visitadore plate for our appetizer. Best. Appetizer. EVER. House-cured sausage, bacon & pepperoni. 3 different cheeses, apples slices, almonds, honey drenched raisins, water crackers, honey dipping sauce. Oh, and 2 shots of bourbon included. Nothing short of brilliant!!!! My husband enjoyed the Prime rib special, I had the Wagyu top sirloin. We split the root beer creme brûlée. Sublime! Bravo, Root 246!! We hope to visit again someday.Special Features:
- LanaDined on 7/19/2014Oiur server Dana was fabulous! All of her food and wine recommendations were spot on. This was our first time in Solvang as well as dining at Root 246 and we are already looking forward to coming back!Special Features:
- The best thing was the honey!FrankDDDined on 7/10/2014Strange seating arrangement (think Mad Hatter with large chairs); quality of food was poor, strangely spiced. 4 dishes and no one liked anything, (and no one is "food picky"). Best bet, cheese sampler and its honey spread. Server who couldn't be found. Prompt and professional bus/table cleaning service. Eat here previously and it was so much better then.
- Our best dining experience ever?OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/10/2014Four of us dined at Root 246 on Thursday July 10, 2014 and had what just might be our best meal ever. Highlights: - The menu and the food: I had the lamb three ways, two had the goat three ways, one had the tri-tip. Heavenly. - The wine: OMG. The selection of impossible-to-find local gems was astonishing. We had a bottle of 2010 Ground Effect "Rock Garden" from Paso Robles, a blend of Grenache, Counoise, and Syrah. All the wines were reasonably priced. - Service: We could hardly have had a more charming, attentive, and helpful server than Dana. She was a superb listener and keyed in on what we were really trying to achieve with our dinner. Afterward she gave us a tour of the kitchen and introduced us to the staff. We want to go back ASAP.Special Features:
- CindyDined on 7/6/2014Went for brunch and was a little disappointed. The quality and variety of food offered is nothing like it used to be. I'm not sure I will go back.Special Features:
- Solvang tripL0723VIPDined on 7/5/2014The restaurant had a good selection of food and was quite delicious. The service was attentive, especially the bus staff.Special Features:
- wonderful, ditch the tiny tablesdrdanjDined on 7/3/2014Great local wine country find. Wonderful cuisine fairly priced. Great preparation and presentation. Staff provoded just enough attention. Just rethink the furniture next time you decorate. The chairs are wonderful, for relaxing, leaning back with a drink and a book. The tables would be great for setting your drink down. Maybe this works for shorter people, but at 6'4" and my wife close to 6', it felt like perching on a couch and eating off of a coffee table. And because the table is so low, and narrow, you can't move your legs at all. I would go back, very thing else was so good. If weather allowed, I would ask for an outdoor table.Special Features:
- EXPECT THE BEST - AND GET ITTwofortheRoadDined on 7/3/2014For our 50th Anniversary we wanted the best and we got what we asked for. Except for a mis-step by the hostess, the evening was perfect. From starter to finish, every dish was a treat. The servers were extremely attentive and timed each course perfectly. We will be back to enjoy Bradley Ogden's food again!Special Features:
- kekaVIPDined on 7/1/2014duck fritters with home made guinness mustard. yum. lamb shanks a little dry and green sauce a bit spicy. Steelhead trout was wonderfulSpecial Features:
- Great food in a tourist areaCraigVIPDined on 6/28/2014Have dined here 3 times now in the past 6 months, and have not been disappointed in the food, beverages or service!! The last time we had some of the best raw oysters ever, and were told they came in from Morro Bay (believe they were Pacific Gold) - good deal and delicious! Several different dining areas to choose from, including outdoor dining - we prefer the dining area just inside to the left of the host/hostess station, as it has nice outdoor light coming in through the windows.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just Aweseome!ChipumaDined on 6/28/2014We enjoyed the whole dining experience and I think you will too. Great atmosphere and service!! I highly recommend it.Special Features:
- DeeLishDined on 6/22/2014All-around, wonderful dining experience. Can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food & service in SolvangNancyTXDined on 6/22/2014It's refreshing to see an outstanding restaurant like Root 246 now in Solvang, a small Danish town blown up into a tourist attraction. The décor is modern and minimalist, in stark contrast to the rest of the town, with soft colors, neutral stone and dark woods. There is an outdoor area with lounge furniture, and two dining areas inside: one with large, high back chairs around rectangular tables, and a second with a wall of banquette tables down one side and booths on the other. The food was beyond expectations! I had the halibut covered in a blanket of herbs & my husband had the prime rib special. Both were executed perfectly and beautifully presented. Our server was attentive & professional, but also warm and friendly. Don't miss this one!Special Features:
- High quality foodoverpricedVIPDined on 6/20/2014Almost feels like this place doesn't belong in Solvang because it lacks the kitchiness and mediocre food that all the other restaurants here have. The menu was original and the food delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best food in SolvangrchapmanDined on 6/20/2014I think this is currently the restaurant with the best food in Solvang. The menu by "celebrity chef" Bradley Ogden changes daily, so it does not necessarily correspond to their menu on the Web. You may call them to get that day's menu e-mailed to you. My review refers to dinner, not brunch, which is not as impressive.Special Features:
- Disappointing for Fathers Day Brnchhealthy805Dined on 6/15/2014Although the food was good, the ambiance was not. You had to go get your brunch inside, yes I mean inside their commercial kitchen. As waiters were running into you in the small opening with their cleared table plates. Having to go inside their kitchen to get your food was very unappealing. I thought the server was kidding when she said we have to go to the kitchen and get the food, seriously. There are so many areas in the bar where they could have set up a small station to get the food, but to go into an unappealing kitchen! I do not plan to come back there for brunch again and don't recommend it for a special occasion such as Fathers Day!Special Features:
- DeliciousLeezmDined on 6/13/2014Love Root 246. A very calm and peaceful place to eat wonderful food. Great service.Special Features:
- Oh, what could have been...MicheeReviewsDined on 5/31/2014My husband and I had high hopes for what seemed to be a find in the heart of "Danish" country, the sleepy tourist enclave of Solvang (Santa Ynez Valley), CA. The online menu led me to think that we would enjoy a spectacular represenatation of farm-to-table California cuisine. What we experienced were decent, if forgettable, offerings attached to a pricey tab. Nothing we ordered tasted especially extraordinary, nor was any one item inedible. The chefs' tendancy to over-salt only underscored the lackluster flavor of virtually everything we ate. The one exception: the handmade candy bar. Our AMAZINGLY attentive, warm server suggested the shortbread base and not-too-sweet milk chocolate cream dessert (incidentally, salted to near perfection).Special Features:
- Daringly UndahishOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/30/2014Well, maybe it does. What do I know except that there wasn't a single windmill in evidence and nothing about the place is quaint or cute. What it is is in a class by itself. The interior is both sleek and comfortable. The wine list is immense, even by Central Coast standards. The cocktails are both playful and sophisticated. And, well, then there is the food. And here let me be candid. If what you're looking for is your standard upscale fare, reliably tasty and well-prepared, you'll need to invoke your inner adventurer. Dishes here are unabashed explorations into grammar of gastronomy. They are celebrations of everything food has the wherewithal to offer the devotee.Special Features:
- not as expectedchrisVIPDined on 5/29/2014Too bad...such a lovely restaurant. Our service was good from the busboys, however our main server had somewhat of an attitude. We ordered drinks before dinner and it took over a half hour to get them. We asked the server where the drinks were (simple drinks....scotch) and she replied, they are at the bar. One in our party said to the waitress.. why don't you bring them to us. Our drinks came just minutes before the meals arrived. Both couples in our party had the Bouf for two....seemed over priced for the quality that was presented. We won't return and we are locals.
- Delicious Food!SusanDined on 5/23/2014From the appetizers to Desert everything eas spectacular. Great service, great drinks and great food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best close to Hotel CorqueRickOnTheRoadDined on 5/23/2014We normally eat at the Hitching Post when we stay at the Corque, but, too tired to drive. Root 246 is right next to hotel. Nice we could both drink wine and not have to drive! The food was a little expensive, normal for a "hotel" restaurant. However, the dinning experience was very nice. We took our time with several courses and we were never rushed by the wait staff. The staff was very good. Be aware that they may change the menu from what is on their website. Had looked forward it the Hanger steak, but, it was not served. Had the Tri Tip and was good in a Santa Maria BBQ way, not fancy but tasty. Unless we are meeting friends at the Hitching Post, we plan to eat here whenever we stay at the Corque.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I ROOT FOR 246!rickwDined on 5/18/2014My second time for Sunday brunch. Best I have had in CA. Great dining experience. Quality food that does not overwhelm you. Most brunches should take a class from root 246. Simple elegance. Well worth the 2 hour drive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good experiencefoooooooooodDined on 5/17/2014The food was great, we were the only party sitting outside and were able to sit right up against the fire place. The setting was romantic. Would definitely recommend to a friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.