220 North Main Street
Greenville, SC 29601Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.roostrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 8642982424
- Hours of Operation:
Mon - Fri - 6AM - 11AM
Sat - 6:30AM - 11AM
Sun - 6:30AM - 11AM
Sunday Brunch: 11AM - 3PM
Lunch: 11:30am - 3PM
Bar Menu: 3PM - 11PM
Dinner Menu: 5PM - 10PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southern, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Trevor Higgins
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Roost
When you settle in, you come home to roost. A roost is a place that feels comfortable. It’s a place where we all have a little something in common. It’s a place that takes a community and builds it into a home. That’s the spirit of ROOST Restaurant located in the new, exciting and vibrant community of NOMA Square on Main Street in downtown Greenville, South Carolina. Situated next to the Hyatt Regency Greenville, ROOST is a casual restaurant featuring the best fresh local bounty that the Piedmont has to offer. Our focus is on giving the community a place to eat local, organic, and seasonal food of the highest quality, cooked with care, and at an honest price. Roost will offer guests a one-of-a-kind dining experience including outdoor seating in NOMA Square, an open kitchen with ringside seating along the Kitchen Counter, an open-air bar area, and a Harvest Table where guests can work with the chef directly to build their own meals.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Roost - Best Restaurants in Greenville ›
Roost reviews from OpenTable diners
72 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (44)special occasion (28)fit for foodies (25)great for brunch (24)hot spot (21)romantic (21)good for groups (20)scenic view (20)vibrant bar scene (19)great for lunch (18)notable wine list (14)neighborhood gem (14)kid-friendly (10)late-night find (9)Show More
- eh...foodieDined on 9/20/2014The waited suggested we get this all natural soda it wasn't good. The food was just okay.Special Features:
- Great Lunch DestinationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014We picked a gorgeous day to sit on the patio. Server was perfectly hospitable. Food was timely and well prepared.Special Features:
- EdotDined on 9/13/2014Server was wonderful! Always remembers my name. He's never wrong about a recommendation!!Special Features:
- Less than desired portionsCaptainScallopsDined on 9/13/2014If you pay $26 for the scallops dinner, then I expect more than three scallops. Thanks for the appetizer, Roost. Had to eat elsewhere after.
- nice ambience mediocre foodgreenslimDined on 9/13/2014Roost has a nice modern and interesting décor. The service was very good and attentive. Unfortunately the food was disappointing. The duck confit tacos were dry and needed more sauce. The flatbread was burned and had to be sent back. The shrimp and grits was Ok but quite heavy. Overall the food was not as good as expected. It was too heavy and not refined. Too bad, we do not plan to return unless we hear something has changed in the kitchen.
- Great outdoor spotturkishDined on 9/12/2014Food and service was excellent. We sat outside and had a great view of main st. There is a nice fountain between the dining and the courtyard.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Generous portionsSwdinerVIPDined on 9/1/2014Roost was a nice, casual restaurant with a great outdoor space overlooking Main Street. The concept of "soil to city" featuring local, organic, seasonal foods is a plus for me. The portion sizes were generous, to say the least, and ended up in my wasting food that I couldn't eat. My husband and I could have easily shared either of the dishes that we ordered and will the next time.Special Features:
- Poorly managed restaurantFoodiesDined on 8/31/2014Three of us dined here on a Sun night during Labor Day weekend. Do not sit at the high tops in bar area if you want full service. You will not get it! Watched numerous servers going in and out door to serve people on patio. To her credit, the bartender told us she would be working bar and taking care of us. We should have moved to another table when she told us that. She had to go back to bar to get list of specials. She seemed frazzled. Manager finally came to bar to help her fill drink orders. Food wasn't really great for the price. Asked server for bread -never brought. Asked guy who brought out food if he could bring bread and he did. This seems like a poorly managed restaurant. Would not go here again.
- FairSingerchefVIPDined on 8/29/2014The place is beautiful and the waitress and hostess were wonderful. The food was just average. We will try one more time in case the meals we had were just average and other items are good.Special Features:
- Interesting Take on Southern FarefoodloverDined on 8/28/2014I tried the "Rack of Pork Loin" which was a large frenched pork chop "bone in" smoked to perfection...it was served with collard greens which are normally not on my list of favorites, but they were done well with almost a pickled taste...the dessert was huge (Blondies plus ice cream...more than enough for two) and the service was friendly and attentive....Special Features:
- GratuityOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014Only thing I have to say against this restaurant is they hit you with a surprise 18% gratuity for parties of 6. I agree with paying an extra gratuity when you have a large group, 8 or more is what most restaurants base iit on, but 3 couples. Unpleasant surprise at the end of a wonderful meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaxing night outLookingforyumDined on 8/9/2014The food was wonderful, service great, and friendly atmosphere. We dined with friends on the patio with a nice view of main. It was an enjoyable evening. We will definitely be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service has room for improvementSoccermomDined on 8/8/2014The location and the food were worthy of a good review but service was lacking. Plenty of employees around but yet our table never get cleared after each course. Our appetizer dishes were pushed to the center to put down our entrees. We even stacked them to make more room but no one picked them up until dessert came. Then our entree plates remained throughout our dessert until our checks came. Our bill for the two of us was over $120 with drinks. I expect to be taken care of better. The other couple we were with had a very fatty brisket, over half of it was not edible, but our dishes were excellent. Location and restaraunt were beautiful but bad service can leave a bad taste in your mouth.Special Features:
- very tasty!SkscrivDined on 8/8/2014Try the club! Went for lunch with a few coworkers and I got the club and the Korean wings. The wings are my favorite and the club is the best that I have ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for BusinessLive4foodVIPDined on 8/5/2014This was a Business dinner. Food was good, appetizers were notable. Server disappeared a couple times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014Great atmosphere, food and service. Will definitely go back!Special Features:
- ServicehunterDined on 8/1/2014Our server, Catherine?, was outstanding. Apparently when my wife made on-line reservations, it ask was it a special occasion. It was our 33rd wedding anniversary and the staff was aware of that. Nice touch.Special Features:
- fantasticZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZVIPDined on 7/31/2014Roost is always a pleasure to dine with friends. Excellent food and service.Special Features:
- Great brunchjmfitzzDined on 7/27/2014I was not expecting much, so I very pleasantly surprised at a great Sunday brunch at roost. Large Buffett but we opted to order from the al a carte menu. Pancakes were big fluffy and had an amazing flavor. Omelets were also great. We sat inside and I thought the atmosphere was nice, better than the pictures on the website.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, service, locationRicksReviewsVIPDined on 7/23/2014Great indoor / outdoor downtown venue with high quality food and outstanding service.Special Features:
- Celebrating my birthday!PartyofsixDined on 7/20/2014When I wanted a favorite spot to invite a few friends to celebrate my birthday, I thought of The Roost. I particularly enjoy their outdoor dining, and while it is normally first come first serve they did me the favor of setting us up outdoors on a perfect evening. The food and service was outstanding, and my joy in celebrating was completed with a "slice" of cake that could have fed 10! Thanks for a terrific night and looking forward to the next excuse to come back...Special Features:
- Horrifying brunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/29/2014Had brunch this past Sunday. I had the shrimp and grits which came out soupy. The egg Benedicts came out hard boiled. Worst of all, the chicken "popsicle" from the kids menu came out totally RAW inside! My daughter had already eaten 2, the 3rd and 4th one was totally uncooked. It took 3 persons to get the manager! Of course apologies were made and our bill was reduced. But all that didnt feel sincere. I was not impress by the wait staff, management and definately not the kitchen. First impressions usually make or break a deal. In this case I seriously doubt we would ever return. And if any ask for recommendations, I'd say to eat at your own risk!
- Nothing specialBrianDined on 6/28/2014No complaints but nothing stood out as outstanding. The service was very good. The food was nothing special, not bad but not great either.
- Great food, cocktails, & service!sadiejkDined on 6/24/2014We went for a late Father's Day celebration and had a fabulous time. The interior is modern and creative, yet still elicits a homey feel, despite its chic, semi-minimalist lines. We all tried different specialty cocktails, which were fabulous, as well as a bottle of wine and a bottle of specialty beer that were perfect recs from our server. Our wait team were present without being overbearing and very in-tune with our needs, as well as knowledgeable about the menu. The food was phenomenal- our favorites of the night being the duck taco appetizer and the tofu pad thai. Our only regret was not making it to dessert! We will definitely be back to try it for sure though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wasn't what I thoughtOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/21/2014The view was very nice, but it had a B rating on the door, we had a particular problem with knats flying round us (and we were in a booth in the very back of the restaurant), and there was water leaking on my girlfriend's neck. The manager did give us our appetizer for free, so I guess the service was OK.Special Features:
- The best thing on MainFoodQueenDined on 6/15/2014I've eaten at Roost a few times now and the food has always been great! I recently went for brunch with my dad and family for Father's Day and it was AMAZING!!! It's quickly becoming my favorite spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good brunch but spendyluv2eatDined on 6/15/2014I really enjoyed the food and expected to pay a higher price tag knowing it was a holiday. Just didnt expect to pay $14 for my 4 year old! One thing the Roost brunch lacks is the salad bar everything else is good just would love more options in vegetables, lettuce options ...etcSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunch!d8niteDined on 6/15/2014Food was fantastic and there was a great selection!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great for special occasionfoodroadieDined on 6/14/2014The food was delicious and the staff very attentive. The outside dining was nice, but a poor choice if you want to talk and a band is playing at the Hyatt plaza. Roost is pricey for the Greenville market so it won't be a place we will visit often. Nice for the special occasion or out of town guests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not ImpressedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/14/2014Our disappointment was with the food. The menu selection sounds fantastic, but when the food arrived, both my husband & I found it to be very bland. I ordered the Country Captain Chicken. The description included bacon, tomatoes, curry, & roasted almonds. While very moist, I found my plate wanting. When I read "madras curry", I expected my a host of spices and my lips to tingle from, what should have been, a spicy curry. Let me clarify that most of what I eat and consider spicy, many consider "mild", so when I say bland, this had NO flavor, NO spice, I could not even taste a hint of the bacon much less chile powder. All in all will probably not be returning. Too much money, not enough flavor.
- Always a winner.TVguyDined on 6/13/2014When you're looking to impress a date, Roost at the downtown Hyatt delivers. The atmosphere is modern with subdued lighting. The food is simply fantastic. During both of my visits, I was able to score an excellent bottle of Schug cab wine, vintage 2010-2011. I'm a regular guy who struggles with "fancy" restaurants. This place is perfect without being pretentious. Dudes, bring your ladies here. Dinner, bottle of wine, dessert and tip will cost you close to $150.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Aniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/13/2014Great waitress - friendly, professional, gave just the right amount of attention! Knew the menu and gave great recommendations! Our dinner choices were fantastic - hot, fresh, savory!Special Features:
- Great food and servicekimwylie0523Dined on 6/9/2014This was our first time going to Roost. We became interested after seeing their online menu. The service was great (attentive, but not overly so) and the food was superb (the ribeye was particularly divine!). Even on a warm night, the patio was lovely with the overhead fans going strong. I highly recommend this spot and can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnerChappyDined on 6/6/2014We had a great dinner, staff and management treated us great and the food was delicious. The manager offered us a complimentary glass of champagne because of the occasion. We will definately be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday NightCandyDined on 6/6/2014Everything was quite enjoyable. The one disappointment was in the wine price/serving size. If you are going to charge $14 for a glass of wine it should be a standard full glass. Looked like a three ounce serving, far too small.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 337 reviews are from the Roost reviews archive.
- Great timesGregDined on 5/31/2014Great time at roost. Our server Julio was apt and friendly. Apps and cocktails excellent. Main dishes were good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impressed for the priceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/25/2014The food was ok but for the price I expected it to be fantastic.Special Features:
- EpidineVIPDined on 5/25/2014Need better bread instead of squishy buns. Flatbread was dry and tasteless. Crab cakes very good.Special Features:
- soil to city supporterfoodieonthelooseDined on 5/24/2014Their 'soil to city' way of serving their guests covers every single ingredient: the goats from which the goat cheese comes, the beer, the ducks - everything! Thank you for supporting our community this way! The food is fresh, prepare by quality, talented chefs, and thoughtful. The portions are huge! Be prepared for leftovers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not on my list of greenville's bestOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/24/2014The Roost atmosphere is nice but the food wasn't very good especially considering the price. I won't be returning.Special Features: