Roost Café and Bistro
262 Shore Road
Ogunquit, ME 03907Neighborhood:
Contemporary French / AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Roost Café and Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.roostcafeandbistro.com/
- Phone: 2073630266
- Hours of Operation:
WINTER Hours: Breakfast: Thursday & Friday: 8:00am - 11:30am; Brunch:Sunday: 8:00am - 2:00pm; Lunch: Thursday & Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Wednesday - Sunday: 5:00pm to closing
SUMMER Hours - Open Daily 8am to 11:30 Breakfast, and 11:30 to 3pm for Lunch/Brunch (Breakfast all day till 3 PM)
Light Fare and Dinner 3 PM to 9:PM (or close)
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French / American, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chef Christopher Godfrey
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Cafe, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Off-site catering available for up to 150 persons. Menus are custom designed with the imput of the client, from a BBQ to Passed Hors d'oeuvres and plated meals.
- Private Party Facilities: Private Room for up to 30 persons. Rehearsal dinners, showers, training sessions, board meetings
- Private Party Contact: Rob Pinkham 2073630266
- Special Events: Private Dining room upstairs for up to 25 people for showers,rehearsal dinners, birthdays, breakfast meeting, training sessions, Holiday parties.
A word from Roost Café and Bistro
A warm and welcoming Cafe and Bistro where our philosophy is hand-crafted, a la minute entrees and appetizers that are exquisite, yet affordable. We pride ourselves on classical cooking techniques with contemporary flavors and creations that are perfect for a bistro. OContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Roost Café and Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
77 reviews since April 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (41)neighborhood gem (35)romantic (34)special occasion (33)great for brunch (22)vibrant bar scene (16)great for lunch (14)good for groups (13)notable wine list (8)kid-friendly (5)late-night find (4)hot spot (2)great for outdoor dining (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Roost was goodBrianaDined on 8/16/2014The food was above average, the service was good and the ambiance was fantastic.Special Features:
- Fantastic x3 on our vacationrcs249VIPDined on 8/14/2014We were looking for a restaurant that had a few gluten-free options and found information about Roos on Findmeglutenfree.com. I'd heard some good things about Roost, but I have to say that I wasn't anticipating such a great dining experience. We had dinner there one night and found the service to be excellent, the food absolutely fantastic and there wasn't even one morsel left on any of our plates. Most items on their menu are either GF or can be made GF, and their GF roll was like a dense small popover and was the best GF roll we've ever had. We then had two breakfasts there and our experience was just as wonderful. My daughter actually said that she could eat every meal there because it was a great menu with great food. We'll be back!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/13/2014Food was excellent!!!! Excellent menu choices are available and atmosphere relaxing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Missed OpportunityxfighterpilotDined on 8/12/2014We were very much looking forward to dining here, and the location plus curb appeal did not disappoint. The restaurant is also very nicely and warmly decorated inside with nice touches like antique screen dividers between some tables to enhance privacy. Unfortunately the server was not up to par for such a place... Not nearly friendly or warm or attentive enough, and they were not so busy on a Tue night to have been an issue. The "catch of the day" was a seafood pasta for a first for all four of us (instead of something actually "caught" and pan seared or broiled), and other seafood items were not available (apparently they didn't get their shipment in the heart of tourist season). The food we had was prepared well and wine offerings ok.
- Charming!AmyBVIPDined on 8/10/2014Though I was no little stressed when first looking over the menu as I lean toward vegetarian or fish-I ended up loving everything we ate. Gnocchi appetizer with lobster was delicious as well as the best black bean soup I have ever had! The pad Thai was unique and super flavorful and the beet salad was yummy...but my favorite bite might have been the mushroom and artichoke app...it had some heat to it! Even the special dessert we ordered...which they had run out of...had our waiter offering to combine two other desserts to make us happy and it worked! I would definitely recommend this charming spot to anyone in the area!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding - don't miss it.OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/6/2014My wife and I were celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary. We went for dinner. It was so good, we came back for breakfast. The food is simple and excellent. The atmosphere is romantic and charming. And the waitstaff was exceptional. Roost is not to be missed.Special Features:
- Good start butFooddocDined on 8/5/2014We have eaten here twice. Once for brunch and once for anniversary. The first major issue is service. For the brunch we waited over an hour to be served. The food in general was good wirh crem brulee french toast being the winner. Second time for our anniversary dinner. No special treaent for anniversary. Bread never arrived. Gnocchi appetizer was good but vegetable tempura and the seafood-pasta special was mediocre. Service was unattentive other than rushing us out, despite many empty tables. We gave a second chance because of proximity of our hotel and because of some interesting dishes at brunch but not coming back. Not a very well managed place and lacks consistency.
- DisappointedHkatmanDined on 8/5/2014First off. The waitress had an edge to her. Then she served us the wrong appettizers. The appettizers were very good. She overstated that the fries were unique. They were not. The Pad Thai was so so and the steak tips came out way undercooked but after sending back were very tasty
- Roost-the Place to Eat in Ogunquit!FunFoodieDined on 8/3/2014This was my 4th time dining at Roost. Last summer, the dinner with my family was so amazing that I went back for another dinner and for brunch on our last day in Ogunquit. All dining experiences were top notch & I was thrilled to return with my family to celebrate my Mom's 73rd birthday. Needless to say, we were not disappointed! The highlights of our meals, aside from our interaction with the wonderful owners, Rob and Aldo, were the New England Clam Chowder, Crab Cakes and the Mussels appetizers and the Gnocchi Bolognese and mojo Cuban Pork (one of Aldo's family recipes) entrees. The entire staff helped me choose delectable, mouthwatering chocolate bomb which was thoroughly enjoyed by all!!! Eat here - you will NOT be disappointed!Special Features:
- RichPDined on 8/2/2014Superb food and extremely attentive service. The cod special was truly unusual. The service was excellent and understated, as it should be!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great find in OgunquitOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/31/2014Glancing through reviews, Roost got mostly positive comments with an occasional quite negative one - we decided to go see for ourselves, and were quite happy we did. Lovely place, certainly more spacious than would appear from outside, nicely decorated, tables well-spaced, noise level allows for conversation - a very pleasant ambience. Friendly waitstaff, went out of their way to accommodate requests (and we had a few, as there were two kids in our group). Good beer list. Dinner quite good - my roasted cod special nicely prepared, others happy with their meals. We were happy enough to return for brunch a few days later - also a winner, with large variety of egg dishes, pancakes/french toast, veggies, sides. Will certainly return.Special Features:
- Yummy for GF Diners tooOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/29/2014I had the best GF fried fish ever! All of my family members, not GF, also loved their meals. Awesome food and atmosphere!Special Features:
- Exceptional ServiceLuvtoeatDined on 7/22/2014Our waiter Jim was one of the best we have ever had. Seating was specific for our family group and ambiance was great. Food was fantastic and gluten free menu was extensive right down to the beer.Special Features:
- Roost delivered a great mealbbtsunamiDined on 7/19/2014While in the area for an anniversary weekend my wife and I dined at Roost for dinner after checking out the menu while walking by earlier in the day. My wife struck out as they did not have the steak tips that were on the menu. Apparently a supplier delivered the wrong thing. She had a pork special but with the truffle fries from the steak tips she had craved. A standout was the chicken liver appetizer. The beet salad was excellent as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unfulfilled AnticipationNewRoDinerDined on 7/17/2014After other reviews we had read, we so wanted to love this place. But menu is more limited than expected and experience was off from moment we were seated in front of a fireplace that would not have been used in July. Server came to our table and there was undeniable smoky odor. If server didn't just have a cigarette before starting his shift, then he was standing next to some food smoker for too long. Kept addressing my 60 y/o wife as the young lady. It was not flattering, just dumb. Veggie tempura appetizer came out beautiful and generous. But soy dipping sauce was inedible. Server replaced with Thai chili sauce, much better. Server warned jerk salmon main was on sweet side. Felt like I was eating cinnamon bun, not like any jerk in NY.Special Features:
- A special placenickcharlesVIPDined on 7/13/2014We eat here every year when we are in Ogunquit. Every year it is excellent. The salads are all excellent and are a large portion. The Cuban pork is flavorful and an excellent entrée choice. The clam chowder was full bodied and had wonderful seasoning. The Roost will remain a favorite of ours each year. The service is always attentive and friendly.Special Features:
- Consistant Good DiningAlanKitteryVIPDined on 7/11/2014Eclectic menu. Entre's with special preparations. Worth broadening your tastes. Varied portion sizes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectionMmmmmDined on 7/11/2014Elegant yet personable service. Excellent and interesting food. Delicious from starters to dessert. Gluten free options abound. A perfect place for a pretheater dinner. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- ExcellentteampamandpaulVIPDined on 7/10/2014During a recent four-night stay in Ogunquit we enjoyed our dinner at Roost Café and Bistro so much that we went back again. We especially enjoyed the beet salad, the honey-jerk glazed salmon, and the Cuban pork from the regular menu, plus a lobster special that was available one night. Roost Café is a very worthy successor to 98 Provence.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our New Favorite!!!!AiveliraDined on 7/8/2014We have never even noticed this place honestly I think we thought it was someone's home... But then I saw the reviews on Opentable and could not resist making a reservation for dinner. Let me tell you dinner was FABULOUS so we returned for breakfast the next morning which was AMAZING as well. We highly recommend this hidden beauty : ) Also the music was SO lovely - very impressive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great experienceogttravelerVIPDined on 7/5/2014We love the Roost and always make it one of our stops while we are in Ogunquit.Special Features:
- 2nd Visit - Yum!ShellyDined on 7/5/2014My husband & I had dinner at the Roost during the 4th of July weekend (2014). I ordered the fig/cheese appetizer and was pleasantly surprised. I had the North Atlantic Cod which was delicious! My husband order lobster over linguine. He opted for a red sauce b/c he can't eat butter. The sauce was a bit heavy but tasty. He liked my dish better. I ordered a drink from the bar which took some time getting but worth the wait - it was crisp and refreshing. Our waiter was friendly and attentive. This is our 2nd visit (was there last summer) and I will definitely be back. Great food - lovely surroundings inside and out!:)Special Features:
- MW1212Dined on 7/5/2014The food was very good but the service was probably one of the worst experiences I have ever had. (And I am very easy going and not that picky!) From our arrival for our reservation and not seated for 15 mins when empty tables abounded, to being told there were not enough menus so they would seat us without them, to being told how one bartender is great but the other, "not so good" and we were lucky to have gotten the "good one", to being given another table's bill to pay!! The whole front of house was in complete and utter disarray. Everyone was pleasant so it wasn't about being ignored, it felt like it was opening night and no one knew what to do. I hope they pull it together because the food was quite good with many GF options.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/4/2014Everything was great except the food... Although the menu was interesting the food was just not good. Lack of seasoning and just pretty bland.
- excellent service and foodTizzyDined on 7/2/2014Very clean. The bar area was friendly and vibrant. The restaurant is decorated tastefully. Our server was very knowledgeable and friendly. The food choices were varied. I noticed almost every choice could be made gluten free which is important in our family. Our three meals were excellent. Meat, pork, fish - all delicious! Will recommend to friends & family. Our choice for brunch, lunch or dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at RoostKLG1Dined on 7/2/2014Entertained two friends. Good food, particularly enjoyed calimari -delightfully light breading-, clam chowder, blackbean soup. Truffled fries and chips on fish and chips were only lukewarm. Coconut flan and brownie sundae ( wonderfully crunchy brownie) were superb. A very large party in the private dining rm seemed to affect kitchen service, although our waitress was helpful and pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectHopefulDined on 6/30/2014We love this place and have never had anything that was less than excellent. The service was wonderful. The chef's special, poached lobster, was amazing. My husband spilled his wine and the waiter immediately brought him another glass, no charge. The ambiance is charming with vintage tablecloths of all different patterns. I loved them in their old location, but this is even better.Special Features:
- New owners understand hospitality !FoodieVIPDined on 6/28/2014The owners of Roost in York, Maine have moved into the former house of "98 Provence" in Ogunquit and will be one of my new favorite places to go in the area. Once they tighten up the "little details" on food quality, you will not be able to get in as the service and warm hospitality from the owners are amazing. They are always on property and plant themselves in the middle of the action versus sitting in an office somewhere else. The true test of a successful restaurant includes welcoming every guest, remember their name, check on the table with personalized conversations and thank them on the way out. Roost does it better than EVERYONE else in their zip code. Simple, but for some very strange reason, this is often not the case in Maine.
- Need to work on the foodFoodNeedsWorkVIPDined on 6/21/2014We visited here for dinner on Saturday evening. The drinks at the bar were outstanding. The food at dinner, not so much. The specials were not available because they sold out and they sold out of a pasta dish. The pad Thai was smoky, not how pad Thai should be and the pull pork was dry. A big disappointment because we were told it was a family recipe. They need to work out the kinks and get the good to a higher level.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/21/2014Excellent experience. Great food. Lovely atmosphere. Would recommend.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/18/2014Great ambiance, delicious food but unfortunately some challenges providing this Celiac with gluten free food :-(Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome from start to finishOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/18/2014This an awesome restaurant in OGT. Everything was great! We loved the decor, service and food! It was busy the night we had dinner there, but they were on their game! Highly recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OGT FavoriteWeloveOGTDined on 6/18/2014We always make it a point to stop in at The Roost when we visit OGT. We have had breakfast and dinner and are never disappointed. The dinner menu always has a great selection. Highly recommend a visit here!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/7/2014Our favorite restaurant in Ogunquit - the setting and ambience is just wonderful. However, the new menu is somewhat restricted. Online menu listed Coq au vin and scallops, braised short-ribs - that did not appear. The roasted chicken dish from last summer/fall was no longer available. From our point of view, that was very disappointing. The steak was great - the cuban pork okay, but the absence of the above French-inspired dishes were sorely missed. We love the restaurant and hope it continues to do well. We will certainly check out the menu throughout the Summer and Fall but with the current menu, we will probably not return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- julriDined on 5/28/2014Chose this restaurant for dinner because of wonderful breakfast experiences. We were a party of four and were very pleased with the "Around the World" menu which we did not anticipate. Will have to go back and order off the regular menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bates1jDined on 5/28/2014We have enjoyed The Roost for the International Meals program all winter. The food is delicious, the owners are always onsite and charming, and the location is excellent, a short walk to the eclectic Perkins Cove. We have also enjoyed a wonderful breakfast experience. There is not an item on the menu we would not try! But anything with Maine blueberries are a must!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delish!YogauntieDined on 5/24/2014I have always gone for lunch (black bean soup my fave!) so dinner was a first. I really enjoyed my meal as did my companions. I think the service is good but slow sometimes. Otherwise, a lovely place to go. Next time, I will be sure to check out the bar menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait to come backBookerDined on 5/24/2014We dined at a Roost on a recent Saturday night for our wedding anniversary. The service was friendly, helpful, and unpretentious. The food was excellent. The depth of flavor in the mushroom and artichoke appetizers was wonderful, as it was in the gnocchi bolognese. We also had the scallops with risotto, which was just as good as the gnocchi. All in all, we look forward to returning for another meal.Special Features:
- Great dining in OgunquitKitPtdinersVIPDined on 5/17/2014We have been patrons of the Roost since they were out on Rte. 1 in Cape Neddick - in 2013 they moved the restaurant to Shore Road in Ogunquit. It's a much larger space and more formal restaurant than before, but that being said the food, drinks and service we've come to expect have not suffered. The owners Aldo and Rob are great people who are completely invested in their business and it shows. The food is always good - we just dined there last Saturday night and my wife commented 'we've never had a bad meal here'.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Geat FunVTSueDined on 5/16/2014Well worth it. I come from Vermont as often as I can, especially to go to the Roost. Inspired menu, charming atmosphere and attentive owners -Rob & Aldo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.