Roost Café and Bistro
262 Shore Road
Ogunquit, ME 03907Neighborhood:
InternationalPrice: $30 and under
Roost Café and Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.roostcafeandbistro.com/
- Phone: (207) 646-9898
- Hours of Operation:
WINTER Hours: Breakfast/Lunch/Brunch:
Friday, Saturday & Sunday: : 8:00am - 2:00pm;
Dinner: Wednesday - Sunday: 5:00pm to closing
SUMMER Hours - Open Daily 8am to 11:30 Breakfast, and 11:30 to 3pm for Lunch/Brunch (Breakfast all day till 3 PM)
Light Fare and Dinner 3 PM to 9:PM (or close)
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chef Christopher Godfrey
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Cafe, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Off-site catering available for up to 150 persons. Menus are custom designed with the imput of the client, from a BBQ to Passed Hors d'oeuvres and plated meals.
- Private Party Facilities: Private Room for up to 30 persons. Rehearsal dinners, showers, training sessions, board meetings
- Private Party Contact: Rob Pinkham 2073630266x
- Special Events: Private Dining room upstairs for up to 25 people for showers,rehearsal dinners, birthdays, breakfast meeting, training sessions, Holiday parties.
A word from Roost Café and Bistro
A warm and welcoming Cafe and Bistro where our philosophy is hand-crafted, a la minute entrees and appetizers that are exquisite, yet affordable. We pride ourselves on classical cooking techniques with contemporary flavors and creations that are perfect for a bistro..Eclectic International.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Roost Café and Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
63 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (33)romantic (32)special occasion (26)neighborhood gem (23)vibrant bar scene (16)great for brunch (14)notable wine list (7)great for lunch (7)good for groups (5)hot spot (3)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Very NiceMAfoodieDined on 10/24/2014We had a nice meal here. We used to go to Provence which was there prior to Roost. The experience was nice but not the same caliber. The service was terrific.Special Features:
- Exceptional menuGandLDined on 10/22/2014We have enjoyed this great Ogunquit eatery on several occasions and make sure it is a must visit on every trip (4 times per year) to the area. The menu has great variety and we have never been disappointed with any meal. In the winters (started last year) they have a Wednesday "arpond the world" menu where each Wednesday they highlight the dishes of one country - OUTSTANDING. I would recommend this great eatery - either for dinner or in their real neat bar for a great tavern style menu that is diverse. We have eaten at many Ogunquit restaurants and this is our favorite and recommend it to all who ask.Special Features:
- Great food, lots of characterKatKerrDined on 10/18/2014Enjoyed a wonderful meal here. The food and service was wonderful. I had the Pad Thai which was a unique take on the classic dish! I really enjoyed it! My only complaint would be that our party of 4 was squished in a dining room separated from the table next to us by an odd shutter divider. Everyone seemed to be packed in rather tightly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just an OK placeJeffVIPDined on 10/17/2014On the plus side: Good solid menu choices for apps and mains. Greta dessert choices On the down side: Only veggie on the entire menu was Asparagus. Nether of us eat this. No other choice of veggie. Not a smart move. Their only option was to get a heap of stir-fry veggies from there Pad Thai dish. Also, we asked for a mild Bloody Mary with no spice. I know that the waitress wrote it down but the bartender did not read it! Next tgime in OG we'll go elsewhere.
- Where's the shrimp?ambrosiaVIPDined on 10/11/2014A little disappointed that the catch of the day was gone by 7:00 but the still available lobster and shrimp special sounded good. When the dish came there was zero shrimp. Unfortunately, since the waiter never came by to check, I didn't get to tell him until long after dinner was finished. He expressed surprise, as surely a shrimp dish would contain shrimp, and said he would talk to the chef. That was it, no visit from the manager, no sorry for the error, no concern that they had an unhappy guest. The food was actually good but their complete lack of customer service will prevent a return visit.
- JerseyDinerDined on 10/11/2014Great place to dine. Another Ogunquit gem! Service, food and ambiance are first rate.Special Features:
- Good food, bad serviceMikeDined on 10/11/2014I went here to celebrate my engagement with my fiancée with another couple. It's a beautiful, romantic restaurant. The food was wonderful, but our waiter was awful. I hate to even write this but I hope he was just having a bad night. He didn't bring us bread, yet he brought every other table some. He took our food order and then brought us out our drinks (odd)and then we didn't see him again until our food was ready, which was about a half hour later. We were all done with our drinks for a good 20 minutes before that and wanted another round. It was busy in there but I watched him make time for every other table except ours. The restaurant is very nice and the food is great, hopefully it was a one time thing because I would love to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Used to be 98ProvencalToastDined on 10/4/2014A new resaurant, excellent food service, and ambiance. Nice wine list.Great place to go after theater in Ogunquit.Special Features:
- dhdiiVIPDined on 9/25/2014very large portions. very friendly staff and ownersSpecial Features:
- Excellent,like every visit to RoostDowntownBobVIPDined on 9/21/2014We were very pleased with our dinner Sunday evening. Drinks were promptly served, the calamari appetizer was excellent. The 3 of us opted for fish and chips. Fish was fresh, very lightly battered and fried, and the sweet potatoes fries were excellent. It is a go-back place.Special Features:
- Great food in very reserved settingFoodlover14Dined on 9/20/2014Bolognese and chicken dishes were excellent! Our server was outstanding. She was very friendly, thorough and had a great sense of humor. Two of the people we dined with had undercooked meals and the server was extremely apologetic and handled the situation professionally. The decor is French country and not really our taste but it works for the setting. Very quiet, reserved atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 9/18/2014Service was really good, space is nice and eclectic. Food is interesting, some of it works really well, and some of it doesn't, but usually only when some components on the dish when taken together with others don't meld well. The separate elements were all good, just some of the things did not play as well together when eaten in the same bite. That being said, the Roasted Mushroom & Artichoke shaved fresh ricotta, pistachio oil on the current menu is seriously delicious. Will be back the next time we're up that way (we live in Maryland just outside DC).
- One of our favs.doodlesDined on 9/17/2014We first visited the Roost for dinner on Rt.1 in o Ogunquit,Maine. They relocated to Shore Rd and we found them while walking! Not notl where they glad to see us, we were thrilled with finding one of our fav. Eateries in Maine. The owners do everything to perfection..food,drinks,ambiance. Went there twice this year and enjoyed both evenings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Wonderful!DRHOPSDined on 9/11/2014Aldo and Rob are the perfect hosts for this gem in Ogunquit, Maine. The food and ambiance is always wonderful! Love this restaurant which is a great favorite of mine.Special Features:
- Formerly from Napa CAkerryDined on 9/11/2014The wait staff were very friendly and efficient. We were seated immediately. The food was excellent, though we felt there were maybe too many eclectic combinations on the menu. We had the special of the day, which did not disappoint. The restaurant's own parking lot made this less of a chore than other restaurants in the area. We loved the table linens and the rustic but refined vibe to the decor.Special Features:
- Not impressedWalt46Dined on 9/10/2014Dined here in Sept/2014. Kind of felt like a wasted vacation night out to dinner - food OK, nothing impressive at all. Don't know why the open-table option - place was nearly empty.
- Just what we were looking for.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014Don't believe the bad reviews. My husband and I were in town for a romantic evening, saw this and decided to try it - we made a good choice. The service - very personal, the drinks - unbelievable, the food - excellent, the atmosphere - just what we were looking for. We ate at one of the high top tables in the bar for a little excitement. Saw strangers making friends, saw old friends seeing old friends, just a great atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding, again!DowntownBobVIPDined on 9/5/2014We had drinks at the vibrant bar, expertly made cocktails, and a pleasant attentive staff of 3 bartenders. We each had a daily special, coriander encrusted cod with white beans, kale and carrots, and broiled scallops with lobster ravioli in a light cream sauce with lobster meat! Both were amazing! This was our 5th visit to Roost and we will be back again next time we're back to Ogunquit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Carol55Dined on 8/31/2014We first found the Roost 3 years ago and make it a point to go back at least once in the summer and then again it the winter. Every time we walk in Rob, the owner greats us as though we had been there every night of the week. In this hectic, busy world it is a special treat to be remembered as though we were long lost friends. We ask to be seated at a high top table in the bar because it reminds us of the original restaurant in York and we like the small intimate feel. the food as always was wonderful, the waiter attentive without being overbearing, Rob stopped by twice to make sure that everything was to our liking. It's truly a great place to eat and be social. We can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great martinis and food!TaraVIPDined on 8/28/2014Roost is listed as French, but is really more French by decor than anything else. That's not a knock against it, just a point of information and actually a nice feature of the menu. The cuisine is a diverse mix of upscale cafe dishes, and there are a couple of options that reflect one of the owner's Cuban (if I recall correctly) heritage. The martinis were mixed perfectly, the salmon was delicious, and the flan--aaaah! Perfect experience, and worth the short walk away from the main drag.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent diningOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/23/2014We had the catch of the day (scallops) that were excellent. We sat in the bar section that was a bit noisy. But the outstanding food and service made it a perfect night for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love RoostogttravelerVIPDined on 8/23/2014Roost has become our "go to" place in Ogunquit. We are always greeted warmly at the door by Rob, one of the owners. The menu has a lot of diversity and all of the entrees have a special twist to them that make them very unique. The food is well prepared and well presented. If it is just the two of us, we love to sit at the bar for dinner and are well served by Carson. When we have friends or family with us, we enjoy the excellent service in the dining room. Roost is always a great experience and one of the few locations in Ogunquit with parking.Special Features:
- Wonderful find7TopDined on 8/23/2014We were thrilled to find this adorable spot -- clearly a local favorite, given how well the host seemed to know many people who walked in. The service was extremely attentive, the food was fresh and delicious. We were a party of seven, including three young children. While there is no kids menu, they made it clear that they would accommodate us by making "whatever" the kids wanted -- burgers, pasta, etc. A great evening out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I Love This RestaurantDRHOPSDined on 8/22/2014This is a wonderful restaurant with great hospitality and food choices. Aldo and Rob are wonderful hosts. The best in Ogunquit!Special Features:
- Lots of ChoicesAlanKitteryVIPDined on 8/22/2014They have two menu - bar and regular plus specials for the day. We shared a Calamari appetizer. My spouse had the Gnocchi Bolognese which was a delicious generous portion with lots of meat and cheese. I had a special for the day - Fried Cod Fish cakes on a bed of greens.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- apricot fishjamesbVIPDined on 8/21/2014Roost has nice decor and ambiance. Attentive service.... however.... the owners need to invest in better quality ingredients and better training of chefs. one example - overly sweet apricot dressing on salad with cod cakes? And more flour than cod in the cakes? Low quality sun dried tomatoes and olives with salad - must be value bulk purchase. Anyway - potential is there.
- A special night in OgunquitJena16Dined on 8/18/2014The food is amazing! I have eaten almost everywhere in Ogunquit and this is by far one of the best for a very special evening. The service was also perfect. The only disappointing thing was that when we arrived, the restaurant was empty except for a table (family and two kids) and they wanted to seat us right next to the family. We asked to be seated in a quieter section of the restaurant and they said the tables were "reserved" - a bit strange, but it ended up being fine. The cocktails were fantastic!! Best martinis ever!!!Special Features:
- Roost was goodBrianaDined on 8/16/2014The food was above average, the service was good and the ambiance was fantastic.Special Features:
- Fantastic x3 on our vacationrcs249VIPDined on 8/14/2014We were looking for a restaurant that had a few gluten-free options and found information about Roos on Findmeglutenfree.com. I'd heard some good things about Roost, but I have to say that I wasn't anticipating such a great dining experience. We had dinner there one night and found the service to be excellent, the food absolutely fantastic and there wasn't even one morsel left on any of our plates. Most items on their menu are either GF or can be made GF, and their GF roll was like a dense small popover and was the best GF roll we've ever had. We then had two breakfasts there and our experience was just as wonderful. My daughter actually said that she could eat every meal there because it was a great menu with great food. We'll be back!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/13/2014Food was excellent!!!! Excellent menu choices are available and atmosphere relaxing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Missed OpportunityxfighterpilotDined on 8/12/2014We were very much looking forward to dining here, and the location plus curb appeal did not disappoint. The restaurant is also very nicely and warmly decorated inside with nice touches like antique screen dividers between some tables to enhance privacy. Unfortunately the server was not up to par for such a place... Not nearly friendly or warm or attentive enough, and they were not so busy on a Tue night to have been an issue. The "catch of the day" was a seafood pasta for a first for all four of us (instead of something actually "caught" and pan seared or broiled), and other seafood items were not available (apparently they didn't get their shipment in the heart of tourist season). The food we had was prepared well and wine offerings ok.
- Charming!AmyBVIPDined on 8/10/2014Though I was no little stressed when first looking over the menu as I lean toward vegetarian or fish-I ended up loving everything we ate. Gnocchi appetizer with lobster was delicious as well as the best black bean soup I have ever had! The pad Thai was unique and super flavorful and the beet salad was yummy...but my favorite bite might have been the mushroom and artichoke app...it had some heat to it! Even the special dessert we ordered...which they had run out of...had our waiter offering to combine two other desserts to make us happy and it worked! I would definitely recommend this charming spot to anyone in the area!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding - don't miss it.OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/6/2014My wife and I were celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary. We went for dinner. It was so good, we came back for breakfast. The food is simple and excellent. The atmosphere is romantic and charming. And the waitstaff was exceptional. Roost is not to be missed.Special Features:
- Good start butFooddocDined on 8/5/2014We have eaten here twice. Once for brunch and once for anniversary. The first major issue is service. For the brunch we waited over an hour to be served. The food in general was good wirh crem brulee french toast being the winner. Second time for our anniversary dinner. No special treaent for anniversary. Bread never arrived. Gnocchi appetizer was good but vegetable tempura and the seafood-pasta special was mediocre. Service was unattentive other than rushing us out, despite many empty tables. We gave a second chance because of proximity of our hotel and because of some interesting dishes at brunch but not coming back. Not a very well managed place and lacks consistency.
- DisappointedHkatmanDined on 8/5/2014First off. The waitress had an edge to her. Then she served us the wrong appettizers. The appettizers were very good. She overstated that the fries were unique. They were not. The Pad Thai was so so and the steak tips came out way undercooked but after sending back were very tasty
- Roost-the Place to Eat in Ogunquit!FunFoodieDined on 8/3/2014This was my 4th time dining at Roost. Last summer, the dinner with my family was so amazing that I went back for another dinner and for brunch on our last day in Ogunquit. All dining experiences were top notch & I was thrilled to return with my family to celebrate my Mom's 73rd birthday. Needless to say, we were not disappointed! The highlights of our meals, aside from our interaction with the wonderful owners, Rob and Aldo, were the New England Clam Chowder, Crab Cakes and the Mussels appetizers and the Gnocchi Bolognese and mojo Cuban Pork (one of Aldo's family recipes) entrees. The entire staff helped me choose delectable, mouthwatering chocolate bomb which was thoroughly enjoyed by all!!! Eat here - you will NOT be disappointed!Special Features:
- RichPDined on 8/2/2014Superb food and extremely attentive service. The cod special was truly unusual. The service was excellent and understated, as it should be!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great find in OgunquitOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/31/2014Glancing through reviews, Roost got mostly positive comments with an occasional quite negative one - we decided to go see for ourselves, and were quite happy we did. Lovely place, certainly more spacious than would appear from outside, nicely decorated, tables well-spaced, noise level allows for conversation - a very pleasant ambience. Friendly waitstaff, went out of their way to accommodate requests (and we had a few, as there were two kids in our group). Good beer list. Dinner quite good - my roasted cod special nicely prepared, others happy with their meals. We were happy enough to return for brunch a few days later - also a winner, with large variety of egg dishes, pancakes/french toast, veggies, sides. Will certainly return.Special Features:
- Yummy for GF Diners tooOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/29/2014I had the best GF fried fish ever! All of my family members, not GF, also loved their meals. Awesome food and atmosphere!Special Features:
- The following 168 reviews are from the Roost Café and Bistro reviews archive.
- Exceptional ServiceLuvtoeatDined on 7/22/2014Our waiter Jim was one of the best we have ever had. Seating was specific for our family group and ambiance was great. Food was fantastic and gluten free menu was extensive right down to the beer.Special Features: