Room 39 - Midtown
1719 West 39th Street
Kansas City, MO 64111Neighborhood:
39th St / Westport / Midtown
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Room 39 - Midtown
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.rm39.com/
- Phone: 8167533939
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Saturday: 7-3
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11-3
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30-10
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Ted Habiger & Andy Sloan
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Catering Available
A word from Room 39 - Midtown
Room 39 opened in November 2004 to rave reviews. Focusing on seasonal, fresh and locally grown ingredients, Room 39 is the premiere location in Kansas City for seasonal American food. We are proud to support local agriculture.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
Room 39 - Midtown - Best Restaurants in 39th St / Westport / Midtown ›
Room 39 - Midtown reviews from OpenTable diners
83 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (58)fit for foodies (56)special occasion (43)romantic (29)notable wine list (27)great for brunch (27)great for lunch (24)good for groups (5)late-night find (3)vibrant bar scene (3)hot spot (2)great for outdoor dining (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- oscar123VIPDined on 8/30/2014My wife and I had an excellent Saturday morning breakfast. Food was outstanding and we enjoyed the ambiance of this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Once again, a delight!NomsDined on 8/20/2014We couldn't have asked for a better birthday celebration. The restaurant was busy but everything was timed out to perfection. The duck and steak couldn't have been prepared better.Special Features:
- Worthy of the buzzKCArtsDined on 8/14/2014Could not be more simple, but simple does not mean plain. We had 3 artisan sheep cheeses, an heirloom tomato salad, grass-fed porterhouse and a bronzed Italian sea bass. The beef was tender - really tender, not "tender for grass-fed". Tomatoes could not be more traditional - sliced tomatoes in a balsamic dressing with feta cheese, yet they were more delicious than any I've ever had. All very tasty. Surprisingly small place - only had one waitress and the bartender. But they covered the ground effectively and professionally. Not inexpensive, but not overpriced.Special Features:
- Wedding Anniversary DinnerJazzycazzyDined on 8/9/2014We enjoyed everything about Room 39. We love that it's small yet elegant. The service was personal and friendly. The GM and our server Anna knew it was our 29th wedding anniversary and gave us complimentary champaign. The menu selections were outstanding. It was hard to decide. We both had a priefix menu and it was so worth it. The kitchen that night was an all female staff that rocked. Kudos to the staff at Room 39. We live in Johnson County but love to go to the Midtown location. We also like to go there for breakfast. The coffee is amazing. Thanks for a great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingktatDined on 8/7/2014We made reservations because it is such a small restaurant, but we were the only ones there. Food was ok (per the other people at the table); my beet soup was delicious, but the squash blossoms were surprising they were in honey which took away from the flavor. The people who ordered the salmon said it was "ok" which isn't a praise (especially for the cost). It was my recommendation - the next time we will go to Extra Virgin.
- NoisyRalphyVIPDined on 8/6/2014Very noisy for lunch. If you need to do business come early or after 1:15, otherwise count on screaming across the table.
- Great place to start the dayrmcconnellVIPDined on 8/5/2014Great coffee, thank you Andrew! The fresh squeezed orange juice is unbelievably good. So amy good things on the breakfast menu, however, the Salmon Scramble is my 'go-to'.Special Features:
- great placemascootzDined on 8/4/2014I had the Steak salad and it was prepared perfectly. My host had a sandwich and it look quite good as well. the place was busy and reservations would be a good idea if you are pressed for time. There is no parking except for the street and nearby neighborhoods, which is why I only gave it 4 stars. Service was excellent.Special Features:
- On Their GameDD99VIPDined on 8/2/2014At lunch/brunch, spectacular cooking with best ingredients at low prices. Intelligent wine selections, coffee bar. No wonder this place is always packed. Noisy, but the quality makes it tolerable. Among highly recommended selections: artichoke toast with arugula and poached eggs; wild salmon with garden fresh shell beans, chard, romesco; goat cheese gnocchi.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/30/2014If you haven't been here, it's a must! Great wine list & menu changes so you never know what you will get. Incredible food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our thoughtsJS4wineanddineDined on 7/29/2014We have known Ted for many years. He runs a first class operation with minimal kitchen space. Thank you Ted and awesome staff!!! John/SusieSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too noisy but it is a small spaceTankmanDined on 7/25/2014We ordered the sampler offering. Everything on the menu was appealing and I will expect to do that again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!FoodineDined on 7/19/2014My family and I went for breakfast on a Saturday morning. The place was quiet and perfect for catching up together. We all loved the feel of Room 39. It was nice and relaxing. Will definitely recommend to many friends and also be back myself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great NookNookLoverDined on 7/1/2014Cozy, friendly. Great food. Service was a bit slow, but the individual preparation was worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findsfguy0118Dined on 6/19/2014We were visiting Kansas City and stumbled upon Room 39, where we had a lovely dinner. Very impressive food (loved the goat cheese gnocchi and my dining partner's risotto), friendly service and reasonable prices.Special Features:
- charming atmosphere, great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/19/2014The staff was friendly, the menu had a great selection, and the food was delicious. Decor was fun and charming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot; unique menuJs4340Dined on 6/13/2014Solid, fresh, whole food. Loved the local farm sourcing and the ever-changing menu. Incredible rustic, simple food with a gourmet twist. Presentation was incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/12/2014Terrific restaurant. Food was very good and creative. Service was exceptional. Our server, Anne, was superb. Our best meal in Kansas City to date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did not disappointOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/9/2014Great service, chicken livers on crostini was excellent.Special Features:
- Room 39 Breakfast or dinnerKCdowntownratDined on 6/6/2014Room 39 serves one of the best breakfasts in Kansas City. But do not miss a chance to check out their dinner menu, local, fresh and different. Room 39 does both meals well.Special Features:
- loving room 39waffleloverDined on 6/2/2014always a treat!!! Love this place - great food, atmosphere and service!Special Features:
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/31/2014I made a reservation on the same day and got a late seating and had to wait a short time. My fault. The food and service more than make up for the wait. Probably the best filet I have had in this town. Cooked to perfection, medium rare!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent NightMikeDined on 5/31/2014Took my wife to dinner here for our anniversary. It wasn't our first time at Room 39. Great, friendly service. The staff helped us with the wine list and was very knowledgable of the menu. The food was outstanding and fun. We never once felt rushed. Like always, a very enjoyable experience at Room 39 in midtown.Special Features:
- wlwfawDined on 5/31/2014Inventive dishes. Excellent reasonable wine by glass selection plus higher end overpriced choices recognized by the wine snobs. Food is reasonably priced. Service was informative behind the bar but not as helpful at the table but still very good. Some time gaps between service were too long.Special Features:
- delicious dessertsluvfudDined on 5/29/2014We did the 4 course tasting with wine pairing. Everything was delicious and we definitely had enough food, I didn't even eat half of my pasta so I wouldn't get too full. The desserts were so tasty. Maybe someday we will make it back for their breakfast/brunch - I hear that's awesome too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/27/2014As always, Room 39 never disapoints. I have frequented some very good 5 star restaurants, and Room 39 always surpasses expeections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still TopsBrummelDined on 5/24/2014Room 39 has been around awhile but has lost none of its appeal. The food and the staff are great.Special Features:
- Always greatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/10/2014The food is always really good here. I recommend going to brunch on Saturdays because they offer their Steak and Eggs Benedict. Quiche is always good too, it comes in a jumbo deep dish slice. Bloody Marys are tasty, too!Special Features:
- Wonderful food!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/9/2014We had excellent service and the food was tremendous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverratedMarkDined on 5/9/2014Server ensured that burgers can be cooked to order. Ordered medium rare but was served well-done... grey and mealy. Otherwise, i do not recommend this for folks who have one hour for lunch. You will not get out in timer. KC has too many other great spots.
- The following 731 reviews are from the Room 39 - Midtown reviews archive.
- Breakfast on SaturdayPeterFDined on 4/26/2014My wife and I met another couple for breakfast. The place was crowded, but we were seated pretty close to our reservation time. The food was all excellent, as were the choices. Good coffee also. We will definitely be back again both for breakfast and dinner.Special Features:
- The food is incredibleLoganVIPDined on 4/21/2014The food is spectacular, the service -the last couple of times I have been in- has been mediocre. Unfortunate that the unfriendly service interferes with the culinary experience, but it is worth every delicious bite!!Special Features:
- Birthday CelebrationsFamily4aReasonDined on 4/19/2014We dined at Room 39 to celebrate two birthdays over last weekend with 3 diners never having been to Room 39 and one having been a number of years since dining there. It was very inviting; we were able to take our time to enjoy the company and celebration. The menu was great with a number of dishes being inviting making it difficult to choose. Ultimately, we were all able to dine on something we normally wouldn't order or selected a dish that intrigued us. We selected Room 39 for a number of reasons - the ambience, something out of the norm and for a large part the utilization of local product. We would most certainly recommend Room 39 to others looking for something out of the norm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still my favorite KC restaurantDisappointingVIPDined on 4/12/2014Still my favorite KC restaurant - and considering the excellent options we are so fortunate to have here in the metro, that's really saying something!!Special Features:
- Love Room 39DebbieDined on 4/9/2014This is an excellent restaurant. I rank the food choices the highest, with oven eggs and the chicken salad sandwich at the top of my list. Service and ambience are also very good. Will definitely go back and would highly recommend! Make a reservation - it is quaint.Special Features:
- ServermelodyDined on 4/7/2014Great service - aware of our needs but left us to enjoy our friends company.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My companion had oatmeal andLizBDined on 4/2/2014My companion had oatmeal and was happy. I enjoyed the Oven Eggs or Baked Eggs, with the truffle oil. I've not had anything like them before and they were delicious, accompanied by a fruit salad. I like the feel of the small restaurant and I like this part of the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinnerJIllDined on 4/1/2014Food was fabulous from pate to lemon tart and all in between! Our server was polite, knowledgeable and around just enough but did not hover. Delightful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbetallyhoVIPDined on 3/22/2014Hadn't been here in a while and not sure why. We did the 39 dollar tasting menu which was a good choice--four courses consisting of salad/soup, appetizer, main course, and dessert. Try the confit or foie gras and the pork chop and opt for the lemon dessert. It was all delicious and the service was impeccable.Special Features:
- Discussion for Best KC RestaurantAHuggDined on 3/19/2014Every time I dine at Room 39 I leave asking myself, 'Why don't I come here more often?' This establishment deserves to be in the discussion for best KC restaurant as its product, ambience, diverse food/drink offerings, and location are elite. The dish that blew my mind--their Ahi Tuna plate is absolutely amazing. Two days later I'm still yearning for the taste of the porcini rubbed/seared tuna, mixed with sweet potato puree, roasted mushrooms, salsa verde, and butter braised radish. We also enjoyed the vegetarian crespelle and the mixed greens salad to start. We opted for beer and enjoyed Green Flash (from San Diego) and noted they had ample adult beverage options. Great date spot with plenty of after dinner bars in walking distance!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.