Room 39 - Midtown
1719 West 39th Street
Kansas City, MO 64111Neighborhood:
39th St / Westport / Midtown
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Room 39 - Midtown
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.rm39.com/
- Phone: (816) 753-3939
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Saturday: 7-3
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11-3
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30-10
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Ted Habiger & Andy Sloan
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Catering Available
A word from Room 39 - Midtown
Room 39 opened in November 2004 to rave reviews. Focusing on seasonal, fresh and locally grown ingredients, Room 39 is the premiere location in Kansas City for seasonal American food. We are proud to support local agriculture.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Room 39 - Midtown - Best Restaurants in 39th St / Westport / Midtown ›
Room 39 - Midtown reviews from OpenTable diners
71 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (50)neighborhood gem (50)special occasion (27)romantic (21)great for brunch (20)great for lunch (20)notable wine list (18)hot spot (7)good for groups (5)vibrant bar scene (4)great for outdoor dining (3)kid-friendly (3)late-night find (2)Show More
- Amazing food and the wait staff is top notchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014The food was great, the waitress/hostess was absolutely fantastic. Providing input and suggestions whenever needed and explain items such as the wine paring or how the food would be laid out. At one point, we saw a chef out talking to some people at the bar, which was actually kind of cool as well. We would recommend making a reservation since the place was full from the time we got there at 7 to the time we left, which was around 9.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HygienistHygienistDined on 11/15/2014Food was wonderful, but out of the two things one in our party wanted. Not enough servers. They were stretched thin. Have eaten there many times and first time this has happened. Will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Couldn't have asked for moreDustinDined on 11/10/2014My wife and I went for our 2nd wedding anniversary. Upon arrival, the wait staff congratulated us and welcomed us with a glass of champagne. The service was excellent, the food was presented beautifully and tasted even better. Great wine selection and locally source ingredients. Room 39 is one of our favorite breakfast spots, but we already can't wait to go back for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, close quartersDaveMDined on 11/8/2014After hearing several recommendations about Room 39, we decided to try it and were not disappointed. Choosing the 4-course tasting menu allowed us to have slightly smaller portions of 4 items each for not much more than an entree and a second course. The menu features a lot of local items and changes daily. The restaurant is quite small and the table next to us felt way too close. Service was slow at times, but not a problem. Reservations are a must. They simply cannot accommodate walk-ins. We will be back.Special Features:
- FabulousLoveFoodVIPDined on 11/8/2014As always, the food at Room 39 was noting but amazing. The goat cheese gnocchi is life changing.Special Features:
- sparkyVIPDined on 11/8/2014The only bummer was that even though we'd made this reservation, it took nearly 30 minutes to get seated. I think they were under-staffed, though.
- perfectionpaulinaVIPDined on 11/3/2014My hubby and I entertained a client from out of town last night. First off our server Hannah was so wonderful I would specifically ask for her in the future. The food was on spot divine! Finally a chef that knows what med rare means. The filet and the salmon were perfectly cooked. The wine was great! Love the Mon night special. I cannot go without mentioning the chicken liver appetizer. Its really delicious. I could go on and on, but honestly you just have to experience it for yourself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Speed of ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/23/2014Food was great. I hadn't planned on being at the restaurant for 3.5 hours, not getting my entree until after 1.5 hours. Three members of my party did the tasting menu so I'm wondering if that might have been why it was a long wait.Special Features:
- Four course tasting menu?JandSDined on 10/18/2014My wife's birthday dinner here started off well enough. We were seated promptly and the wait staff was pleasant. Being first timers, we both selected the four course tasting menu. My squash soup was excellent, she enjoyed her salad and we both enjoyed our appetizers (the mussels for me and the foie gras for her). But, when the steaks arrived, the wheels came off. Good quality meat, but it was way overcooked. My rare steak turned out medium and her medium steak was presented at least well done. Not good at all. Then, to top it off, we were charged separately for dessert. A four course menu that included salad or soup, appetizer, entree and then a separate charge for dessert? Isn't that a three course tasting menu? 1+1+1 = 3 not 4.
- Consistently great!FoodieInKCVIPDined on 10/2/2014We always enjoy the great food, fun cocktails and attentive waitstaff at Room 39 - midtown!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently stellarchowhoundDined on 9/19/2014Room39 never dissapoints. Room is intimate, service is always quality, knowledgeable and friendly, food is great and the wine list is solid. One of my favorites in KC and we had a great time. Will always go back after a night like we had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth it indeededlibDined on 9/19/2014Took a chance on the strip steak with okra and pesto. Who knew pesto would make the steak (and even okra) both memorable and delicious? Inventive, excellent food, careful service.Special Features:
- A midtown gem!AprilVIPDined on 9/8/2014So happy to have Room 39 in our neighborhood. From breakfast through lunch and their special dinners, they are spot-on. Delicious food, drinks, impeccable service and a lovely, cozy room filled with friends and people 'in the know'. Love it - cheers to Ted.Special Features:
- oscar123VIPDined on 8/30/2014My wife and I had an excellent Saturday morning breakfast. Food was outstanding and we enjoyed the ambiance of this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Once again, a delight!NomsDined on 8/20/2014We couldn't have asked for a better birthday celebration. The restaurant was busy but everything was timed out to perfection. The duck and steak couldn't have been prepared better.Special Features:
- Worthy of the buzzKCArtsDined on 8/14/2014Could not be more simple, but simple does not mean plain. We had 3 artisan sheep cheeses, an heirloom tomato salad, grass-fed porterhouse and a bronzed Italian sea bass. The beef was tender - really tender, not "tender for grass-fed". Tomatoes could not be more traditional - sliced tomatoes in a balsamic dressing with feta cheese, yet they were more delicious than any I've ever had. All very tasty. Surprisingly small place - only had one waitress and the bartender. But they covered the ground effectively and professionally. Not inexpensive, but not overpriced.Special Features:
- Wedding Anniversary DinnerJazzycazzyDined on 8/9/2014We enjoyed everything about Room 39. We love that it's small yet elegant. The service was personal and friendly. The GM and our server Anna knew it was our 29th wedding anniversary and gave us complimentary champaign. The menu selections were outstanding. It was hard to decide. We both had a priefix menu and it was so worth it. The kitchen that night was an all female staff that rocked. Kudos to the staff at Room 39. We live in Johnson County but love to go to the Midtown location. We also like to go there for breakfast. The coffee is amazing. Thanks for a great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Birthday DinnerkarenloonDined on 8/9/2014Outstanding food and service created a very special atmosphere for my birthday dinner. All four of us enjoyed the tasting menu and had wonderful selections helped by our server who was very knowledgeable. From my cocktail before dinner to the most wonderful dessert, it was a perfect evening. Thank you for making my special day even better!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingktatDined on 8/7/2014We made reservations because it is such a small restaurant, but we were the only ones there. Food was ok (per the other people at the table); my beet soup was delicious, but the squash blossoms were surprising they were in honey which took away from the flavor. The people who ordered the salmon said it was "ok" which isn't a praise (especially for the cost). It was my recommendation - the next time we will go to Extra Virgin.
- NoisyRalphyVIPDined on 8/6/2014Very noisy for lunch. If you need to do business come early or after 1:15, otherwise count on screaming across the table.
- Great place to start the dayrmcconnellVIPDined on 8/5/2014Great coffee, thank you Andrew! The fresh squeezed orange juice is unbelievably good. So amy good things on the breakfast menu, however, the Salmon Scramble is my 'go-to'.Special Features:
- great placemascootzDined on 8/4/2014I had the Steak salad and it was prepared perfectly. My host had a sandwich and it look quite good as well. the place was busy and reservations would be a good idea if you are pressed for time. There is no parking except for the street and nearby neighborhoods, which is why I only gave it 4 stars. Service was excellent.Special Features:
- On Their GameDD99VIPDined on 8/2/2014At lunch/brunch, spectacular cooking with best ingredients at low prices. Intelligent wine selections, coffee bar. No wonder this place is always packed. Noisy, but the quality makes it tolerable. Among highly recommended selections: artichoke toast with arugula and poached eggs; wild salmon with garden fresh shell beans, chard, romesco; goat cheese gnocchi.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/30/2014If you haven't been here, it's a must! Great wine list & menu changes so you never know what you will get. Incredible food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our thoughtsJS4wineanddineDined on 7/29/2014We have known Ted for many years. He runs a first class operation with minimal kitchen space. Thank you Ted and awesome staff!!! John/SusieSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 750 reviews are from the Room 39 - Midtown reviews archive.
- Too noisy but it is a small spaceTankmanDined on 7/25/2014We ordered the sampler offering. Everything on the menu was appealing and I will expect to do that again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!FoodineDined on 7/19/2014My family and I went for breakfast on a Saturday morning. The place was quiet and perfect for catching up together. We all loved the feel of Room 39. It was nice and relaxing. Will definitely recommend to many friends and also be back myself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great NookNookLoverDined on 7/1/2014Cozy, friendly. Great food. Service was a bit slow, but the individual preparation was worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findsfguy0118Dined on 6/19/2014We were visiting Kansas City and stumbled upon Room 39, where we had a lovely dinner. Very impressive food (loved the goat cheese gnocchi and my dining partner's risotto), friendly service and reasonable prices.Special Features:
- charming atmosphere, great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/19/2014The staff was friendly, the menu had a great selection, and the food was delicious. Decor was fun and charming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot; unique menuJs4340Dined on 6/13/2014Solid, fresh, whole food. Loved the local farm sourcing and the ever-changing menu. Incredible rustic, simple food with a gourmet twist. Presentation was incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/12/2014Terrific restaurant. Food was very good and creative. Service was exceptional. Our server, Anne, was superb. Our best meal in Kansas City to date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did not disappointOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/9/2014Great service, chicken livers on crostini was excellent.Special Features:
- Room 39 Breakfast or dinnerKCdowntownratDined on 6/6/2014Room 39 serves one of the best breakfasts in Kansas City. But do not miss a chance to check out their dinner menu, local, fresh and different. Room 39 does both meals well.Special Features:
- loving room 39waffleloverDined on 6/2/2014always a treat!!! Love this place - great food, atmosphere and service!Special Features:
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/31/2014I made a reservation on the same day and got a late seating and had to wait a short time. My fault. The food and service more than make up for the wait. Probably the best filet I have had in this town. Cooked to perfection, medium rare!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent NightMikeDined on 5/31/2014Took my wife to dinner here for our anniversary. It wasn't our first time at Room 39. Great, friendly service. The staff helped us with the wine list and was very knowledgable of the menu. The food was outstanding and fun. We never once felt rushed. Like always, a very enjoyable experience at Room 39 in midtown.Special Features:
- wlwfawDined on 5/31/2014Inventive dishes. Excellent reasonable wine by glass selection plus higher end overpriced choices recognized by the wine snobs. Food is reasonably priced. Service was informative behind the bar but not as helpful at the table but still very good. Some time gaps between service were too long.Special Features:
- delicious dessertsluvfudDined on 5/29/2014We did the 4 course tasting with wine pairing. Everything was delicious and we definitely had enough food, I didn't even eat half of my pasta so I wouldn't get too full. The desserts were so tasty. Maybe someday we will make it back for their breakfast/brunch - I hear that's awesome too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/27/2014As always, Room 39 never disapoints. I have frequented some very good 5 star restaurants, and Room 39 always surpasses expeections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.