7940 Norfolk Ave.
Bethesda, MD 20814Neighborhood:
Bethesda / Chevy Chase
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.roofbethesda.com/
- Phone: 2402457663x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - 11:00 am - 1:00 am
Tuesday - 11:00 am- 1:00 am
Wednesday - 11:00 am - 1:00 am
Thursday - 11:00 am - 1:00 am
Friday - 11:00 am - 2:00 am
Saturday - 11:00 pm - 2:00 am
Sunday 11:00 am - 1:00 am
Saturday Days 3rd Floor Roof will be open weather permitting
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Full Bar, View, Wine
A word from Roof
At Roof we believe that guests should be treated like family. We will always serve only the best, freshest food and we will always exceed expectations. Roof takes pride in sourcing the finest local ingredients, and serving them in an affordable way. As native Washingtonians, we are proud to serve this community because this is our home. For this reason we have partnered with local growers, farmers, dairies, and watermen to bring the best local products to share at our tables. We are very proud of our name Roof, as we will be Bethesda’s first full service Rooftop Restaurant and Bar. Our specialty cocktail list will include House Infused spirits prepared on site by our Chef and mixologist. Roof will be the areas perfect solution for a great Restaurant and gathering place. Come see Bethesda from our vantage!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Roof reviews from OpenTable diners
86 reviews since June 28, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (57)good for groups (35)fit for foodies (30)neighborhood gem (29)vibrant bar scene (29)scenic view (23)hot spot (19)special occasion (16)great for brunch (15)romantic (12)great for lunch (11)late-night find (11)notable wine list (5)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- changed my mind!MsDebbieVIPDined on 10/17/2014After a sketchy first visit when roof first opened, I'm glad I gave it a second and third chance. I was taking 4 guests to dinner and everyone enjoyed the ambiance, the food, and the service was outstanding. We enjoyed a selection from the menu; short rib, pork chop, ribeye, and assorted apps. I will definitely be returning whether for an intimate meal, or a group dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly surprisedMaryLoJoVIPDined on 10/15/2014Given the diversity of reviews, I was a little skeptical, but there were enough good ones for me to suggest taking a small group of 6 there on a rainy weekday evening. The entrance is odd with the elevator in a tight lobby, but once on the main floor, the place is lovely. The variety of textures makes it interesting on the inside even though our view was limited due to the rain. Service was prompt and very professional, the food was really good (I had the pork chop with brussel sprouts and mashed potatoes -- amazing! Others had the trout and the shrimp and grits -- all had great reviews) and the atmosphere was nice. The dining room is protected with thin carpet to absorb the noise, so it wasn't distracting. All in all, a great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small group gemclose2homeDined on 10/6/2014You can have a small group and still be in the middle of it all. I have been twice when in town for an annual meeting and I'm sorry the weather has not been conducive for the outdoor dining venue. Innovative menu, with good variations on classics. The seafood dishes are terrific!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good outdoor dining; limited menu.ThomasWayneDined on 9/28/2014Roof's brunch menu is limited but sufficient if you're not looking for many options. Standards are there (eggs Benedict, waffles), but pancakes and some omelet options would be welcome additions. In good weather, Roof's outdoor dining options (dining room level deck and rooftop tables) are great to use, and even the beautiful indoor dining room feels outdoors with its floor to ceiling windows looking out to Norfolk Ave in Bethesda. Enjoy the good service and great ambiance, even with Roof's short brunch menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great night; ignore the bad reviewsOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/27/2014We really enjoyed it. The food was great. Everyone at the table had great meals - crab cakes, scallops and pork chop were all fabulous. I heard they got a new chef, so maybe some of the more critical reviews were before the new chef. If you are going for dinner, I would suggest eating on the 2nd floor patio, rather than the upstairs Roof. If you are going for drinks then the upstairs patio is where all the fun is. Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- StorckDined on 9/24/2014great atmosphere; efficient service; menu could be expanded, but prep was good. Far more impressed than prior reviews would have me anticipate. certainly hope this restaurant stays around.Special Features:
- Yum and funFlowermomDined on 9/23/2014Food is well prepared. The dishes not only look delicious but the food absolutely stimulates the palet. Cudos to the Chef. The special drinks were wonderfully made. Nice embiance and view of the city from the dining area. Had a wonderful time with a group of 5 ladies for a special occasion. Parking garage is close for paid public parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SubparOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/20/2014It took a good 10 minutes before someone came to take our drink order. The food was subpar. I ordered the trout and clearly it stayed under the heat lamp far too long before it came to the table. The edges of the fish were completely dried out and the sauce had turned hard. My husband had the short ribs and they too were dry. Can't say we'll be returning.Special Features:
- Expecting MoresommerdebVIPDined on 9/16/2014The first courses were delightful -- different and tasty. Main courses not so much. Overcooked fish, salty mashed potatoes, unsavory grits, dried out short ribs with hard bacon lardons; service polite and lovely, but way too long between courses and waitress sightings on a night when few were out. Also, no special for the evening although menu states fish special each night. Lastly, "peach cobbler" that was nothing more than a serving of diced up peaches in a dish -- served with a side of ice cream. Tasty but not as advertised. Very nice setting though.Special Features:
- Roof BethesdaBrianDined on 9/14/2014We dined there on a Sunday and were viritually the only table in the indoor dining room. The menu choices were quite adequate. We had the short ribs, the pork chop and the scallops, all of which were prepared very well. We tried the speical clam appetizer and the pork belly, both of which were excellent. The wine list is fairly limited, but there were a number of selections that met our tastes. The overall prices for everything were moderate. All and all, we thoroughly enjoyed the food and the second floor view of downtown Bethesda. Our young waiter, Connor, was surprisingly sophisticated and knowledgeable. Our only reservation is that the dining area could become very noisey, since there is an extensive bar area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/14/2014Chill two other tables dinning while we were there
- TravellerDined on 9/13/2014Decent American comfort food. Small menu, with nicely prepared salmon, trout, meat, crab cakes dishes. Hope they add more desserts soon. We have eaten dinner in the dining room and upstairs at a table on the Roof. Dinner at the rooftop bar was informal and fun with lots of interesting people-watching possibilities.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reasonably priced, tasty mealcatwomynDined on 9/13/2014I had the trout amandine, which was delicious, and we shared the mussels and the shrimp ceviche as appetizers, also very good. Crème brulee for dessert was very tasty. Our waiter was very attentive without being intrusive.Special Features:
- SylBDined on 9/12/2014The food was fair - a very good salad, mussels were fair and small - I thought the menu selections were poorSpecial Features:
- Poor value for moneyRWoodBVIPDined on 9/8/2014A $19 crab sandwich, $10 glasses of wine that can be purchased by the bottle for less than $11, and a $7 double espresso are not justified in Bethesda. The entrees on the lunch menu are not only limited in number, but are dominated by egg dishes.
- Great food!LuvtoeatDined on 9/4/2014Kale Salad was delicious. Scallops were delicious and artfully presented. Service was slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great addition to BethesdaOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/31/2014Roof satisfies in many ways--a nice bar atmosphere, outdoor dining, well-prepared food and fun neighborhood meeting place.The servers are enthusiastic and attentive. The menu choices are limited, but what they offer is high quality and very tasty. I would say it is now one of the best restaurants in Bethesda! Be sure and try the shrimp and grits, as well as the short ribs.Special Features:
- Nice afternoonLoLoDined on 8/31/2014Went for Sunday brunch at 1:30. Nice atmosphere and the food was good. Gave it 4 stars instead of 5 because one of the three appetizers (french onion soup) was not available, and one of the 3 desserts (creme brulee) was not available. Both of which we were hoping to try!!Special Features:
- Nice PlacedcdinerDined on 8/29/2014The service was great and attentive, the food was pretty good and reasonably priced. We dined in the restaurant outdoor section while the roof top bar was in full swing. Very nice place, I can see this being a hot spot by next summer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So SoChocoDined on 8/17/2014The food was pretty good. The menu was very limited though. We ate on the roof and the service was very slow. We had to walk over to the bar to get a menu and a waiter. I noticed others having the same issue. Some diners left. Service may be better inside the restaurant.Special Features:
- Nice night for the patioOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/14/2014Group of 4 for dinner. The patio was open and the weather was great. It was not that crowded and the waiter was very attentive. We got the grilled pepper appetizer which was flavorful and light. The pork chop was perfect. Branzino, special of the day was declared excellent by both parties (whole fish, head on...be warned) and the scallops entree was also good. Prices reasonable for Bethesda. Very pleasant eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, OK serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/10/2014We arrived for Sunday brunch to an almost empty restaurant - a shame because Roof is a nice place. Food was well prepared, poached eggs done just right. Seasoning was good and not overpowering. Service could have been more responsive given the small crowd. Also, need to do something about the horrible dumpster smell right outside the front door.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedDisappointedVIPDined on 8/7/2014I was so looking forward to having dinner and drinks and was so disappointed with the outcome. My drink came in a dirty glass, when I pointed this out, they took the drink back poured the same drink into a clean glass instead of making me a whole new drink, so I had to send it back. The food server spilled the appetizer on the table and one of my guests. Food although tasty, some was served cold. I think they have a lot to work on. This is a great idea and has a ton of potential, but they have to get the back of the house straight.
- Better than the reviewsLb1651VIPDined on 8/7/2014I wasn't sure about choosing roof for dinner with a girlfriend because reviews were so mixed. I was pleasantly surprised. The food was really tasty and ample. Shrimp and grits smelled and tasted delish. The third floor was more bare bones metal tables and happy hour bar scene than a place to dine. We ate on the second floor in the courtyard and it was really lovely. The services was not great- a bit slow and inattentive but we were not in a rush so it was ok. They need to improve that though. Our waitress didn't know much about the food. Pricier than I expected. Not casual dining but nice food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- IdonthaveoneDined on 8/3/2014Brunch menu at least is quite unimaginative. I had the shrimp & grits - menu named most ingredients but neglected the heavy, greasy, garlicky spinach that topped the dish. Service: tho the restaurant was very uncrowded, waiter disappeared for most of the time. And when I asked him what 'sofrito' was, response was a scowling attack: "Where did you see that?" His answer made clear he didnt know either. Better would have been to offer to ask the chef.
- Great serviceBarbaraAVIPDined on 8/2/2014The wait staff were attentive and responsive. That said, there were two mistakes on our orders. the staff corrected them as quickly as possible. Great ambiance and excellent crab cakes. The specials tasted a bit flat--needed more seasoning all around. We will be back to try the shortribs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AttentiveObserveDined on 8/1/2014Love the attentiveness of all staff members! It's clear to me the lead roofers (management) support their team as it shows in their high level of service. The food is always top notch, super tasty, and balanced! The trout is so happy with it's sauce it is begging you to eat it! The spare ribs are so tender they don't even know they are boneless! The brunch potatoes are crispy and bursting with flavor!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- getinherbellyDined on 7/31/2014Menu selecttion was small. We sat outside it was a wondrful evening. Server was patient with us. While we waited for the restbof our party to join us. But i will be back. I REALLY enjoyed myselfSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- so sodbeersfineartDined on 7/24/2014This potential gem falls short almost everywhere I looked. the rooftop sitting area is very small and first come first serve - no reservations except a sitting area near the elevator for groups of six or more. It was crowded by 6:30. Meanwhile, the main level was almost empty. I had reservations. We saw two tables at the far end with picturesque views overlooking the street. I asked to be seated at either, but was told they were for reservations only. I said I had a reservation, to which the response was "VIP" reservations. We were seated elsewhere. The service was ok, a little slow, but not as slow as the elevator. Food good to bland, depending on what was ordered. Prices much higher than the value received. Not recommended.Special Features:
- Great addition to Bethesda diningJFMMDDined on 7/22/2014Our group of 6 enjoyed a wonderful dinner at Roof (my third visit there, but the first for our friends). The food: branzino, shrimp & grits, short ribs and scallops, were terrific main dishes, all perfectly prepared and generous portions. For starters, the multi-colored beet salad was abundant and tasty; the tiny shrimp "cocktail" was wonderful.Special Features:
- Roof- the best place in MD suburbsJudyVIPDined on 7/19/2014We had a great meal and six of us loved everything that we ordered. The sauces or the simple way that they cook food is outstanding. Two had steak and pommes frites, and they thought the steaks were tender and fries delicious, and the latter person was from Belgium! The bartender is great and knows how to make cocktails that aren't on the menu. My husband, who's a harsh critic, remarked on this, our sixth visit to Roof, and having eaten at 3 other Bethesda restaurants in the last two weeks, "This is best place, by far."Special Features:
- Consistently Very Good!JSG10Dined on 7/19/2014I've now been to ROOF four times since it opened and have tried various items on their menu. Everything is great from appetizers to dessert. The service is also really good. I highly recommend this neighborhood gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice ambience; ok menuDrMLPDined on 7/17/2014Menu needs some work; too expensive ($24-30) for entrees that are not 100% delish yetSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rooftop Hard To BeatNUParentDined on 7/16/2014Fun rooftop restaurant with delicious food. Although the tables are first come/first taken on the top floor, the view is the best in Bethesda dining. Lively bar scene on the third floor as well. Enjoyable summer dining spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/13/2014Very enjoyable dining experience. The outside looked lovely - just too hot that afternoon - especially since there were no umbrellas to provide shade.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eh!dogsVIPDined on 7/12/2014Great location with tons of potential, but no matter what you are serving, a bad waiter can ruin all the hard work that is going on behind the scenes. If this place wants to be a "go to" place for people that will spend a couple hundred on food and drinks, the customer facing employees need to be professional waiters and not fumbling, forgetful, ignorant, overwhelmed high school kids. Of course, personel decisions are a management issue, so I'm lead to believe that the place is mismanaged. I really hope they can turn this into a nice fun bar and restaurant, I would suggest hiring a manager that knows what he or she is doing. If the vision of the business doesn't change, it won't last a year with what they are selling.
- great food and serviceStefiDined on 7/12/2014If you want to have an enjoyable elegant meal outdoors with great food and service, Roof fills the bill. As for ambiance, the roof area on the second floor isn't nearly as scenic as the roof on the third floor, but it offers a bit fancier of a dining experience. Diners on the top floor are dressed much more casually giving it more of the feel of a bar scene. My suggestion to management would be the addition of more plants around the perimeter of the second floor outdoor dining area (especially window boxes, etc. along the span of railing looking out onto the street). That said, the food and service were outstanding. We'll definitely return.Special Features:
- Rooftop diningCrisDined on 7/6/2014I went to Roof for brunch and the food was delicious! Mimosas and bloody marys were also well prepared and I will definitely visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As good as last (first) time.MillieDined on 7/1/2014The first experience was so good that three days later I went back with friends. Great success.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice BrunchTechsan68VIPDined on 6/29/2014Enjoyed brunch on the terrace. Nice touch is that the menu allows choosing your meal a la carte rather than paying for things you don't want.Special Features: