7940 Norfolk Ave.
Bethesda, MD 20814Neighborhood:
Bethesda / Chevy Chase
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.roofbethesda.com/
- Phone: 2402457663x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - 11:00 am - 1:00 am
Tuesday - 11:00 am- 1:00 am
Wednesday - 11:00 am - 1:00 am
Thursday - 11:00 am - 1:00 am
Friday - 11:00 am - 2:00 am
Saturday - 12:00 pm - 2:00 am
Sunday 10:00 am - 1:00 am
Saturday Days will be open weather permitting
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Full Bar, View, Wine
A word from Roof
At Roof we believe that guests should be treated like family. We will always serve only the best, freshest food and we will always exceed expectations. Roof takes pride in sourcing the finest local ingredients, and serving them in an affordable way. As native Washingtonians, we are proud to serve this community because this is our home. For this reason we have partnered with local growers, farmers, dairies, and watermen to bring the best local products to share at our tables. We are very proud of our name Roof, as we will be Bethesda’s first full service Rooftop Restaurant and Bar. Our specialty cocktail list will include House Infused spirits prepared on site by our Chef and mixologist. Roof will be the areas perfect solution for a great Restaurant and gathering place. Come see Bethesda from our vantage!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Roof reviews from OpenTable diners
118 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (65)scenic view (37)neighborhood gem (36)good for groups (34)vibrant bar scene (31)fit for foodies (30)special occasion (21)great for brunch (17)hot spot (16)great for lunch (15)romantic (12)late-night find (10)notable wine list (7)kid-friendly (5)Show More
- Great addition to BethesdaOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/31/2014Roof satisfies in many ways--a nice bar atmosphere, outdoor dining, well-prepared food and fun neighborhood meeting place.The servers are enthusiastic and attentive. The menu choices are limited, but what they offer is high quality and very tasty. I would say it is now one of the best restaurants in Bethesda! Be sure and try the shrimp and grits, as well as the short ribs.Special Features:
- Nice afternoonLoLoDined on 8/31/2014Went for Sunday brunch at 1:30. Nice atmosphere and the food was good. Gave it 4 stars instead of 5 because one of the three appetizers (french onion soup) was not available, and one of the 3 desserts (creme brulee) was not available. Both of which we were hoping to try!!Special Features:
- Nice PlacedcdinerDined on 8/29/2014The service was great and attentive, the food was pretty good and reasonably priced. We dined in the restaurant outdoor section while the roof top bar was in full swing. Very nice place, I can see this being a hot spot by next summer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So SoChocoDined on 8/17/2014The food was pretty good. The menu was very limited though. We ate on the roof and the service was very slow. We had to walk over to the bar to get a menu and a waiter. I noticed others having the same issue. Some diners left. Service may be better inside the restaurant.Special Features:
- Nice night for the patioOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/14/2014Group of 4 for dinner. The patio was open and the weather was great. It was not that crowded and the waiter was very attentive. We got the grilled pepper appetizer which was flavorful and light. The pork chop was perfect. Branzino, special of the day was declared excellent by both parties (whole fish, head on...be warned) and the scallops entree was also good. Prices reasonable for Bethesda. Very pleasant eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, OK serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/10/2014We arrived for Sunday brunch to an almost empty restaurant - a shame because Roof is a nice place. Food was well prepared, poached eggs done just right. Seasoning was good and not overpowering. Service could have been more responsive given the small crowd. Also, need to do something about the horrible dumpster smell right outside the front door.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedDisappointedVIPDined on 8/7/2014I was so looking forward to having dinner and drinks and was so disappointed with the outcome. My drink came in a dirty glass, when I pointed this out, they took the drink back poured the same drink into a clean glass instead of making me a whole new drink, so I had to send it back. The food server spilled the appetizer on the table and one of my guests. Food although tasty, some was served cold. I think they have a lot to work on. This is a great idea and has a ton of potential, but they have to get the back of the house straight.
- Better than the reviewsLb1651VIPDined on 8/7/2014I wasn't sure about choosing roof for dinner with a girlfriend because reviews were so mixed. I was pleasantly surprised. The food was really tasty and ample. Shrimp and grits smelled and tasted delish. The third floor was more bare bones metal tables and happy hour bar scene than a place to dine. We ate on the second floor in the courtyard and it was really lovely. The services was not great- a bit slow and inattentive but we were not in a rush so it was ok. They need to improve that though. Our waitress didn't know much about the food. Pricier than I expected. Not casual dining but nice food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- IdonthaveoneDined on 8/3/2014Brunch menu at least is quite unimaginative. I had the shrimp & grits - menu named most ingredients but neglected the heavy, greasy, garlicky spinach that topped the dish. Service: tho the restaurant was very uncrowded, waiter disappeared for most of the time. And when I asked him what 'sofrito' was, response was a scowling attack: "Where did you see that?" His answer made clear he didnt know either. Better would have been to offer to ask the chef.
- Great serviceBarbaraAVIPDined on 8/2/2014The wait staff were attentive and responsive. That said, there were two mistakes on our orders. the staff corrected them as quickly as possible. Great ambiance and excellent crab cakes. The specials tasted a bit flat--needed more seasoning all around. We will be back to try the shortribs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AttentiveObserveDined on 8/1/2014Love the attentiveness of all staff members! It's clear to me the lead roofers (management) support their team as it shows in their high level of service. The food is always top notch, super tasty, and balanced! The trout is so happy with it's sauce it is begging you to eat it! The spare ribs are so tender they don't even know they are boneless! The brunch potatoes are crispy and bursting with flavor!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- getinherbellyDined on 7/31/2014Menu selecttion was small. We sat outside it was a wondrful evening. Server was patient with us. While we waited for the restbof our party to join us. But i will be back. I REALLY enjoyed myselfSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- so sodbeersfineartDined on 7/24/2014This potential gem falls short almost everywhere I looked. the rooftop sitting area is very small and first come first serve - no reservations except a sitting area near the elevator for groups of six or more. It was crowded by 6:30. Meanwhile, the main level was almost empty. I had reservations. We saw two tables at the far end with picturesque views overlooking the street. I asked to be seated at either, but was told they were for reservations only. I said I had a reservation, to which the response was "VIP" reservations. We were seated elsewhere. The service was ok, a little slow, but not as slow as the elevator. Food good to bland, depending on what was ordered. Prices much higher than the value received. Not recommended.Special Features:
- Great addition to Bethesda diningJFMMDDined on 7/22/2014Our group of 6 enjoyed a wonderful dinner at Roof (my third visit there, but the first for our friends). The food: branzino, shrimp & grits, short ribs and scallops, were terrific main dishes, all perfectly prepared and generous portions. For starters, the multi-colored beet salad was abundant and tasty; the tiny shrimp "cocktail" was wonderful.Special Features:
- Roof- the best place in MD suburbsJudyVIPDined on 7/19/2014We had a great meal and six of us loved everything that we ordered. The sauces or the simple way that they cook food is outstanding. Two had steak and pommes frites, and they thought the steaks were tender and fries delicious, and the latter person was from Belgium! The bartender is great and knows how to make cocktails that aren't on the menu. My husband, who's a harsh critic, remarked on this, our sixth visit to Roof, and having eaten at 3 other Bethesda restaurants in the last two weeks, "This is best place, by far."Special Features:
- Consistently Very Good!JSG10Dined on 7/19/2014I've now been to ROOF four times since it opened and have tried various items on their menu. Everything is great from appetizers to dessert. The service is also really good. I highly recommend this neighborhood gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice ambience; ok menuDrMLPDined on 7/17/2014Menu needs some work; too expensive ($24-30) for entrees that are not 100% delish yetSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rooftop Hard To BeatNUParentDined on 7/16/2014Fun rooftop restaurant with delicious food. Although the tables are first come/first taken on the top floor, the view is the best in Bethesda dining. Lively bar scene on the third floor as well. Enjoyable summer dining spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/13/2014Very enjoyable dining experience. The outside looked lovely - just too hot that afternoon - especially since there were no umbrellas to provide shade.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eh!dogsVIPDined on 7/12/2014Great location with tons of potential, but no matter what you are serving, a bad waiter can ruin all the hard work that is going on behind the scenes. If this place wants to be a "go to" place for people that will spend a couple hundred on food and drinks, the customer facing employees need to be professional waiters and not fumbling, forgetful, ignorant, overwhelmed high school kids. Of course, personel decisions are a management issue, so I'm lead to believe that the place is mismanaged. I really hope they can turn this into a nice fun bar and restaurant, I would suggest hiring a manager that knows what he or she is doing. If the vision of the business doesn't change, it won't last a year with what they are selling.
- great food and serviceStefiDined on 7/12/2014If you want to have an enjoyable elegant meal outdoors with great food and service, Roof fills the bill. As for ambiance, the roof area on the second floor isn't nearly as scenic as the roof on the third floor, but it offers a bit fancier of a dining experience. Diners on the top floor are dressed much more casually giving it more of the feel of a bar scene. My suggestion to management would be the addition of more plants around the perimeter of the second floor outdoor dining area (especially window boxes, etc. along the span of railing looking out onto the street). That said, the food and service were outstanding. We'll definitely return.Special Features:
- Rooftop diningCrisDined on 7/6/2014I went to Roof for brunch and the food was delicious! Mimosas and bloody marys were also well prepared and I will definitely visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As good as last (first) time.MillieDined on 7/1/2014The first experience was so good that three days later I went back with friends. Great success.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice BrunchTechsan68VIPDined on 6/29/2014Enjoyed brunch on the terrace. Nice touch is that the menu allows choosing your meal a la carte rather than paying for things you don't want.Special Features:
- ExcellentMillieDined on 6/28/2014We highly recommend Roof. We celebrated our wedding anniversary in an ambiance that is welcoming, open (glass walls overlooking the street, at the level of the crown of trees) and decorated in good taste. The menu is creative and just the right size (not too many, not too little choices).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SaltAverageDined on 6/27/2014The service was average at best. We both ordered fish fishes and were very salty (extremely salty) - We told the staff but they did not offer any remedy or comfort.
- LuluDined on 6/26/2014Food was fair, very unsatisfactory. Mussels had no flavor. No specials on a Thursday. Drinks were ok. Rood bar scene very loud and very expensive - $25 for two drinks. Dining room ambience was fine.Special Features:
- Service had flawsfoodaholicVIPDined on 6/22/2014There were not enough wait staff so the service was extremely slow. I would have thought that they would have offered us something to compensate for the poor service but they did not. The food was very good. It will be a shame if the restaurant does not make it because of the service.Special Features:
- UnfortunateBlondcbDined on 6/22/2014Our second time there. Food very good. Service consistently slow and inattentive. Had to repeatedly ask for not only bread, but knives and forks. Forgot pre-arranged birthday celebration request. Will not go back
- kiterpDined on 6/21/2014The French onion soup and octopus appetizer were great and will go back for those. But, the beers were small and the hamburger was sub par... should have sent it back. We'll try again ... see if there is an entree that will provoke a recommendation and stands up to the appetizersSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BethesdaDinersDined on 6/16/2014While Roof's prices indicated that we should expect fine dining, the overall experience did not live up to this level. The food was good (Crab Cakes, Steak), but the service was very casual and they made several mistakes in a very no-nonsense order. Our entrees arrived when we had not even half finished our appetizers. This does not feel like fine dining. They did "comp" some drinks because of mistakes. We had hoped for more from this relatively new restaurant. Fairness note: we were not on the "roof." The evening was incredibly hot, so we opted to stay indoors. The roof might have a more festive or special feel.
- 3rd time not a charmFlvrfndrVIPDined on 6/15/2014We really want to like this place as it is a good location and has a great view! The first two times the food and service were ok. Our third visit was brunch on the roof. What a mess!! Our waitress was working very hard but needed back up. We got our food but had to wait 15 minutes for the rest of it to be delivered. At that point we had eaten most of our meal... Sitting on the roof beverages are served in disposable cups. Understandable but your going to charge me each time you refill my iced tea? Had I known I would have opted for a cocktail- it would have been cheaper! We brought some of our concerns to the attention of the manager but he seemed uninterested and not helpful. We saw at least two groups come and leave. Smart folks.Special Features:
- 4th time this month at Roof- GREAT!JudyVIPDined on 6/14/2014Lovely meal- still recommending Roof to everyone! Our party had appetizers, good drinks, fish, pork belly, and mussels! Berry trifle was good- not great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodcdineoutDined on 6/14/2014I've eaten here twice and have had a great meal both times. The service is also very good. My only comment would be that they need to address the interiors. It's such a great space but the decor is lacking a little. But I design hotels and restaurants for a living so I might be overly critical.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Place!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/14/2014Just got back from having dinner there. Our waiter, John F, was very professional. Food was really good. Will go again.Special Features:
- never fails!!luvinlifeDined on 6/13/2014My boyfriend and I had a wonderful time....it was our second time there and each time was better than the last....do yourself a favor and become a Roof customer....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1st of many more.foodie72Dined on 6/13/2014This past weekend was my 1st time at Roof, I stumbled on to its website while looking for a dinner spot. I'm happy to say that this was one of the best finds I've had in a long time! The scene was live & energetic, the staff was courteous & professional. Needless to say the food was outstanding as well. I've already recommended this place to my friends & we're already making plans to spend another Friday night at there. If anyone has any doubts leave them at the door, I promise you will like this place as much as I did.Special Features:
- Extraordinary CuisineBethesdaResidentDined on 6/11/2014The food is exceptional. I go out to eat to find food I cannot easily prepare myself at home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingRonGVIPDined on 6/11/2014Difficult access. Nice views. Our waiter was clueless about bar offerings. The main courses were ok. The highlight was the burrata & grilled pepper salad. The prices were high for average food.Special Features:
- Food is always great!JudyVIPDined on 6/9/2014Excellent food and service for two: shrimp & grits and fish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.