Romola's Seafood & Grille
2 South Ave. W
Cranford, NJ 07016Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Romola's Seafood & Grille
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.romolasnj.com/
- Phone: (908) 272-0045
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday- 5:00 pm-10:00 pm
Wednesday 5:00 pm-10:00 pm
Thursday 5:00 pm- 10:00 pm
Friday 5:00 pm- 10:00 pm
Saturday 4:00 pm- 10:00 pm
Sunday 4:00 pm- 9:00 pm
Open at lunchtime for private parties only.
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: Seafood, Mediterranean
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Wheelchair Access
A word from Romola's Seafood & Grille
New seafood restaurant in Cranford, NJContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Romola's Seafood & Grille - Best Restaurants in Cranford ›
Romola's Seafood & Grille reviews from OpenTable diners
64 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (40)neighborhood gem (39)special occasion (31)great for outdoor dining (24)romantic (24)good for groups (16)hot spot (4)kid-friendly (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Only okDonnaVIPDined on 11/21/2014My husband and I tried this restaurant awhile ago shortly after they opened. It was only ok at that time. But I thought I needed to give it another try now that they had been open for business for awhile. I went the other night and although the service was very good. The food was just ok again. There are so many really good restaurants in the cranford area that I don't think I will Give this one another chance.
- Great potentialavkatDined on 11/13/2014Prices are a bit high, but food was very good. We had the seafood crepes and the Ahi tuna. Restaurant is difficult to find. Address is South Ave, but it is around the corner. Website should help people find it. We dined on a Thursday. There were few people in the restaurant. The wait staff need a little training. No one offered to take my coat. No one pulled out the table so I could be seated (and table was too close to the bench seat, so it needed to be moved). Service was prompt, but no one explained the menu, suggested items, etc. Since the prices are high, I assume they want to be considered an upscale restaurant. They need to add the touches that people expect for them to be successful. I will go back...... if I have a coupon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbERICDined on 10/26/2014Another great meal at Romolas, Mety and Drita always doing excellent job... Thank you guysSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChanmanDined on 10/18/2014Nice decor, friendly& attentive staff but I didn't think the food was that good. Didnt care for the Salad which had too much very tangy lemon dressing. Sesame tuna was very bland... my husband did enjoy the asparagus soup, but wasnt thrilled with the sea bass. I don't mind spending money for a great meal,but the prices were too high for the quality of the food. Will not return.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/11/2014Everything was excellent! From the service to the food!Special Features:
- Another Outstanding Meal!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/10/2014Started with crispy fresh fried calamari, lobster bisque, and poached pear salad. Mains included chicken and shrimp special, duck breast, and bouillabaisse all of which were outstanding! Left room to share bananas foster and homemade bread pudding. Service was outstanding and the Owner, Sonny, was there checking in on each and every table. Never had a bad meal here and we tend to go ALOT - always spot on and love the fact that this is BYOB!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/10/2014My wife and I were delighted. However, my wife's scallops were not quite 100%. My salmon was superb. We will return, definitely and recommend it for all occassions. All tables were occupied by 2, 3 or 4 patrons, - no large groups - which eliminates any noise problem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointsOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/9/2014Probably our 10th time here in the last year, and I am always impressed by the consistency of the food and service. Great attention to detail. Great staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait to returnLocalgirlDined on 10/4/2014Beautifully prepared food reasonably priced. I highly recommend the Dover sole special which they deboned right at the table. I had just come back from Vegas and was worried that the food wouldn't compare. It was right up there with the best foodie restaurant and half the price!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!!!!MarioDined on 9/24/2014Wow... Just the best, from the beginning to the end.The whole experience was remarkable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingSusanDined on 9/23/2014The food was excellent .as the service .i would highly recommend Romolas and I'm looking forward to my next visitSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!!JessicaDined on 9/21/2014It was our first time to dine at Romola's. I don know how we didn't hear early for this place?? Everything was perfect. We started with an appetizer that our waitress recommended, it was the best grilled octopus that we ever had. Our entrees were just fabulous. Service was great. I love this place. I will comeback as soon as possible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a little disappointingJerseyEdDined on 9/20/2014This was our 4th visit & the resturant was the busiest we've seen it. The dishes were not prepared to the same standards as prior. Too busy for the kitchen staff?Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/16/2014Amazing Top-notch, classy service where every time you thought you needed something, the staff took care of it before you even asked. We had a table for ten and we were ALL impressed with our meals which varied from lamb, swordfish, crepes, etc.... and it was all brought at the same time and at the right temperature, which can be tough for a large table. Desserts were out of this world. Atmosphere fantastic. I don't write reviews, ever, but I had to this time. Bravo!!Special Features:
- OutstandingERICDined on 9/16/2014This is the fifth time that we have eaten at romolas and have never been disappointed. Will continue to keep them as a top pick for dinner." Simple outstanding!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second visit disappointingVinFDined on 9/14/2014Our first visit this summer was a pleasant surprise. This is one of the Aquaviva owners from Westfield. We returned with friends and were very dismayed by quality of the food. My crab cake was mushy (think Cuisinart), under seasoned, dense and not crisp on outside. My wife had the rib eye entrée but as soon as it came she knew it was a mistake. Too thin a cut, not seared, not seasoned and overcooked. My Chilean sea bass was supposed to be in a tomato broth which was missing. The place was empty (Sunday night) so I cant attribute it to overworked staff. It's hard to understand how two visits can be so different. We won't be returning soon.
- FantasticSusanDined on 9/14/2014Our favorite spot in cranford .a bit pricy but worth it as the food never disappoints and BYOB balances this a bit .the service was excellent and the manager went around to each table to check that all was ok . Highly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not greatValBDined on 9/12/2014For the prices they charge we thought the food was not up to those standards. Meals were good but nothing memorable. Atmosphere was nice and they have outdoor seating but we chose to sit inside as the outdoor seating is on the busy road with accompanying noise. Service was attentive but a little off...we had to ask for bread on the table...maybe a newer server too? All in all, for the expense, we'd rather eat at their neighbor, Pairings.Special Features:
- BofSev1Dined on 9/5/2014Wanted to try this new place in Cranford - who already has some excellent restaurants. Very disappointing Prices : not inexpensive (15$ appetizers - 30$ entrees) so you would expect a good to very good meal for that Well, revise your expectations as food turns out to be just okaaaaaaaaaaaay. Both our main courses were average+. Our shared appetizer was okay but very small. Ended up paying 85$ (tax&tip incl) for that? I don't think i will ever give it a 2nd chance, as quality seems to be consistently not as high as the prices. And how noisy it is!
- libralynnVIPDined on 9/2/2014Everyone at the table ordered from the Prix Fixe menu and we all thoroughly enjoyed our food. Excellent choices. Superb service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romola's Offers Great Local DiningDrBobDined on 8/31/2014This a wonderful new Cranford restaurant. The seafood offerings are first rate and the non-seafood entrees are also very good. Nice list of appetizers to choose from [the grilled octopus is great !]. The service is attentive but not overwhelming. Being a bring your own wine restaurant is a real plus as well. I would highly recommend this restaurant for most dining occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 731sylDined on 8/31/2014Our first time at Romola's and it will definitely not be our last time. The salad, soup, fish and dessert were excellent. The bread pudding was the best I have every eaten.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently very good.TTKBVIPDined on 8/30/2014Romola's is consistently very good. While the menu is almost exclusively seafood, they prepare other dishes nicely as well. The steak was prepared excellently and my dinner companion thought it was the best she's ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!JerseygirlDined on 8/28/2014You cannot go wrong dining at this restaurant. The food and the service were outstanding! Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerKaren88Dined on 8/28/2014Second time here and ordered same exact meal. This time I ate outside and it was very pleasant. servers were very attentive. I suggest you tell waiter that you want vegetables and potatoes hot because this happened the last visit, also, My guest and I enjoyed this restaurant and hopefully they will offer a pre-fixe menu that is different for the fall season. You do not leave hungry and everything is fresh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another good experienceSusanDined on 8/23/2014This is our forth time and every time this place getting better and better .is my favor place to dinningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerLindaDined on 8/20/2014My husband and two friends went for the pre fixe 4 course dinner. It was delicious. To start, three of us had the eggplant rollatine which we agreed was delicious. My husband had the muscles which he loved. For the second course, two of us had the New England clam chowder. It was one of the best we've ever had--hot, tender clams, delicious potato and a little bacon for added flavor. Yum! My husband had the chilled corn soup which he said was very good and the fourth person in our party had a salad which she enjoyed. For our main course, my husband and I both had the salmon with saffron risotto. Delicious! Our friends had shrimp & scallops and loved theirs too. The sorbet and bananas foster were a nice ending to a fantastic meal.Special Features:
- Almost TherechefedDined on 8/19/2014Located in a nice neighborhood with tables in front of the entrance. Inside it's quiet, outside alternates between quiet and loud, depending on traffic. The service is attentive and charming. The four course Prix Fixe for $36 is a very good value. Service starts with crumbled cheese, tapenade and crispy crust bread with some garlic butter. Delicious. BYOB is a plus for us. The food is good but not yet great. I think with a little more time the food can achieve greatness. I had the tuna tartare, very good, the clam chowder which was a broth with bacon bits or prociutto and clams, vegs and a small amount of potatoes. It was very good. Main course, seafood fra diavolo that lacked spice and intense flavor. Think food needs more intensity.Special Features:
- Welcome addition to the areaFrequentdinerVIPDined on 8/16/2014While eating outdoors on a street corner in Cranford may not sound like much, it's a quiet corner and the food and service are outstanding. The preparations are fresh and interesting and the service at a professional level not often found in the neighborhood. While principally a seafood restaurant, and well worth a visit for fish and seafood alone, there is plenty to enjoy for the carnivores.Special Features:
- Great serviceeilpatDined on 8/16/2014Service was lovely . Food was well prepared with high quality seafood. Only criticism I like strong seasoning and I felt dishes were overall a bit bland. A private party at front of restaurant meant a rather high noise levelSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a GREAT Meal!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/14/2014Whether you go during the week or on the weekend - you are always welcome! The entire staff welcomes you and makes you feel at home. The food is excellent and their specials are outstanding. Sony and his team make sure to provide you with a wonderful night! P.S. Make sure to leave room for the Bananas Foster!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/6/2014Dined with their price fixe menu which was reasonable. Menu was excellent and offered a variety of choices. Service was excellent and friendly. Would recommend this restaurant to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal ever!Karen88Dined on 8/5/2014Took my friend here to celebrate her 60th birthday. Took advantage of the summer price-fixe menu and it was spectacular....four delicious courses for $36 per person. My eggplant appetizer was the best, and so was the mango salad. Heard the the clam chowder was awesome and said it was the best ever! The rack of lamb with glazed berry sauce was beyond what words could describe, and the sorbet trio was so fresh and homemade tasting. Our server, Drita, was excellent and the owner came over to check on everything. We both agreedthat this was the best meal we have had in a long time. I hope they have a fall pre-fixe menu since it is affordable. I can not wait to return here and have recommended it to lots of people already.Special Features:
- RegularsBobGVIPDined on 8/1/2014We are regulars now. My wife, son and I were there on Friday night and as always the food and service were excellent. We really like the owners and staff. They do everything they can to make your visit very enjoyable. Highly recommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Diamond in the roughJoeDVIPDined on 7/31/2014Open only since October 2013 but seems to have hit a homerun already. Food was spectacular and service outstanding. Happen to find this through the Open Table website and wanted to try some place new and was not disappointed. Took the summer prix fix menu that had many choices. Would highly recommend folks to try this BYOB.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic dining experienceIzzyDined on 7/30/2014This is the first time that I had dinner at Romola's and I was not disappointed. It was a family dinner to celebrate a birthday and we ordered from the prix fixe menu and were not disappointed. It was a great dining experience and I highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 90 reviews are from the Romola's Seafood & Grille reviews archive.
- Always Great Food!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/26/2014When you are hungry and want awesome food, outstanding service, and BYOB - Romola's is the place to go! This has become our go-to restaurant for great food and service - specials are great and their regular menu is wonderful as well. Make sure to leave room for dessert as their homemade bread pudding and bananas foster are not to be missed! You are always welcome here and everyone from the Owner to the busboys are genuine and can't do enough for you.Special Features:
- Great Neighborhood RestaurantjcblackDined on 7/26/2014Great seafood. We tried different things and they were all outstanding. The jumbo shrimp and scallops on risotto, soft shell crab, tuna, and seafood dish were all without fault. The prices are a little high but can be contained as it is a BYOB.Special Features:
- seafood. see foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/20/2014Lovely waitstaff. Food pretty flgood-- a very nice scallops dish, but a bouillasbaise that was wanting both in seafood and distinction. Most notable-- entree prices that frankly exceeded the quality and possibly locale...Special Features:
- OutstandingSusanDined on 7/20/2014This my 3rd time at Romolas every time is getting better and better, cant wait to go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.