4346 Bonita Rd
Bonita, CA 91902Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://romescomexmed.com/
- Phone: (619) 475-8627
- Hours of Operation:
Saturday: 2:00pm - 5:30pm - Sunday: 12:00pm - 5:30pm
Tuesday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm; Friday - Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, Mediterranean, Mexican
- Executive Chef: Jorge Gutierrez
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Paella Catering
- Private Party Facilities: Parties of 50 or more in Tapas bar.
- Private Party Contact: Karla Espinosa 6194758627
- Entertainment: Wednesdays "Pasta Night" Live Italian Accordion Music
Saturdays "Flamenco Music" in Tapas Bar
A word from Romesco
In the search for alternative gastronomic latitudes, a new restaurant opened its doors at the Bonita Commercial Area in San Diego. Romesco Baja Med Bistro started operations at the beginning of March 2006.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Romesco reviews from OpenTable diners
34 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (22)fit for foodies (18)special occasion (16)romantic (11)good for groups (10)great for lunch (9)notable wine list (6)kid-friendly (3)vibrant bar scene (3)hot spot (3)great for brunch (2)great for outdoor dining (2)late-night find (2)Show More
- Love the Tapas and cucumber martini!YumyumVIPDined on 11/15/2014I go often and find it consistently pleasant and enjoyable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointed!Hungry4lifeDined on 11/12/2014Always love coming here. The food is very flavorful and there is always something different going on every night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always enjoy our experience hereMJSanDiegoDined on 10/30/2014We've gone several times as a couple or group and always had a great experience. Food is outstanding and the service is wonderful. We will definitely return as much as possible. Live music was nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!...Medicore ServiceEpicureReViewerDined on 10/25/2014Location is in a strip-shopping center in a hard-to-find location in Bonita (or is it Chula Vista). This is not Mexican in the Cal-Mex sense. It is so much better than that with its emphasis on Mex-Mex and Mediterranean food. The subtle flaors and sauces are memorable. It is served in more of a noisy bistro atmosphere than the sister restaurant Mision 19 in Tijuana. Service is pretty average. Our server did not even know the restaurant was owned by the same people who created the remarkable Mision 19 in Tijuana. The servers (not necessarily who you started with) seemed to rush in and breathlessly serve the food. Being in a hurry does not match the quality or caliber of the food but it's worth tolerating for the remarkable food.Special Features:
- GoodJlopezDined on 10/16/2014We went on a group from work, and overall I think is a really good restaurant, the food was great and they have a really good hospitality.Special Features:
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Food was very good, but the service was great. keep it up.Special Features:
- NgeBDined on 9/26/2014My husband and I have frequented Romescos. We have always had an enjoyable evening and have enjoyed our meal every time. This evening the server was friendly and conscientious. Unfortunately the food was very salty for my taste. I had to have the server take it back. Despite that my husband and I had a nice evening.Special Features:
- Great place, superve serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/20/2014Love this place, great atmosphere and helpful staffSpecial Features:
- Great BAJ-MED CuisineCachysssDined on 9/19/2014If you never travel to Baja ... this is the great experience of a little demo cuisine from BAJASpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014Enjoyable atmosphere. Wenesday past night is wonderful!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No dessert!tomatoesDined on 8/3/2014Excellent food, as always. However, this time we were disappointed that we were unable to order dessert. We were told that the kitchen was closed, even though we were finished with our dinner before closing time. Any diner who is seated and served should have access to dessert as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Nice ChangedoctordDined on 8/2/2014Menu is different than most Mex/Mediterranean restaurants. Food is well prepared and presented.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- never coming back!!!etLyannaVIPDined on 8/1/2014went here with my husband with very high hopes because of 4-5 star reviews but we were very disappointed. 1st they gave us a glass of water with lipstick mark on it, we got no apology or whatsoever. 2nd the food was just OK, i was even wondering why they call their paella award winning. 3rd the service was terrible, i would understand if the place was too busy that night but sadly it wasn't. i don't mind paying $$$ if the place or food is worthy but this place is definitely not. never coming back. i will warn and not recommend this place to anyone i know.
- Delicious restaurantTereluvsuDined on 8/1/2014We loved the food and ambiance. We can't wait to go back for more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 82 reviews are from the Romesco reviews archive.
- beavesbistroDined on 7/26/2014All the good reviews I've read are spot on. I could not have been happier. Excellent service -- friendly, attentively responsive, but not overbearing. Food choices were incredible. A nice mix of tapas and main dishes. Subtle fusion of Spanish and other with Mexican foods, imaginatively honoring flavor profiles of each tradition. Not trying to be different, just for the sake of being different, what I call truly innovative culinary creations. The only other thing I can say further to recommend it, is that I'll return, because there were many dishes I want to try.
- Lunch with a friendMickeyDined on 7/26/2014I had been to the restaurant before, but brought a friend to try it out because I thought she would like the place. She loved it. The food was amazing, as always. The service was great.Special Features:
- Night out with friendsDebbieDined on 7/25/2014I have been there many times and I always enjoy their tapas, it gives me a chance to try a little portion of several of their items. My friends and I enjoy coming their for their Tamarindo martinis. The atmosphere is great and if you want it a little louder they have a bar with live music.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Paella?sweetieDined on 7/25/2014The tapas were fine, the service was superb BUT we are paella fans and we were very disappointed in this paella. My advice is to order something else when visiting Romescos.Special Features:
- The real thingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/19/2014Excellent mexican food. Loved the tuna tostadas and the short rib tacosSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent meal at RomescoRowwrVIPDined on 7/11/2014We went to dinner with friends here after hearing good reviews of the food. Overall the meal was good. Our dishes were tasty. Although my chicken was dry. The filet is a good dish, but ask for it to be cooked one level less than you normally would as they overcooked ours. Also the caesar salad was swimming in dressing. For a place that comes across as more fine dining, they used thick beige diner china. Bright white is the current standard. Plus we were seated at a small table. Very difficult to fit 4 bread plates, 4 dinner plates, water glasses, wine glasses, S&P shakers, oil/vinegar cruets, etc. Not to mention the tapas we ordered. The wait staff were constantly joking with each other and loud . Like eating at Chili's.Special Features:
- Romesco great Ingredients & flavorsKarlasenDined on 7/4/2014Im a Big fan of all of Javier Plascencias restaurants, one of The most valuables chefs in mexico. Romesco offers great Ingredients with Mexican flavors in a casual menú That is great for lunch & diner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy!Hungry4lifeDined on 5/20/2014I go here a lot with my husband. We love the tapas and the service is great! We have always left full and satisfied.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpectacularJacktheGraduateDined on 5/11/2014Our Mother's Day lunch at Romesco was flawless. We ordered everything off the tapas menus, and every one of the dozen or so was just incredible. The service was on point. We had to order dessert, and they did not disappoint either. A wonderful experience all the way around. We will return. Highly recommended!!!Special Features:
- Romesco's--Believe the Hype!!TasterschoiceDined on 5/10/2014Romesco's has been getting some very good press lately--in CityBeat, etc.--and in our opinion it is fully deserved. We have eaten here at least four times and never been disappointed. We generally get tapas and the combinations of things and sauces have real depth. For my money this is the best Mexican (and I know it is only part Mexican) restaurant in San Diego County!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/4/2014Took a group of people to Romesco for my wife's birthday. The setting -a strip mall (ugh) was a little off-putting, but once inside the restaurant, it is easy to forget the location. Hector, our waiter, was efficient and professional and very polite without being overly friendly or pushy. He was familiar with the menu and was helpful with tapas and wine suggestions. All of the food was very good, with interesting flavor combinations and very well prepared. The dining atmosphere is casual, but with a European feeling. There was no effort to hurry our meal or to give us a sense that we were taking too much time. Prices are very reasonable for the food and service. All in all, we are very impressedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/27/2014Food is always good but sometimes service is bad when they are too busy. It takes a long time for waiter to come back. But it is not all the time only when they are busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Tapas!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/25/2014Lots of excellent choices if tapas and the tomato soup is now my favorite in town! The tostada with fresh tuna is a must! Super fresh and vibrant. We had to order another it was so good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing service!ChadDined on 4/23/2014My second time to Romesco and have to say I can't wait to go back. Our waiter was great and we basically put down the menu and asked him what he would have. Each item he brought out was wonderful. Before we knew it we had been there for almost three hours and didn't once feel like he was rushing us. The food is fantastic and the prices are very reasonable for the quality of the food. Think I have found my weekly dinner out!!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mexican winehikitam829Dined on 4/20/2014I've visited Romesco twice recently, but I couldn't make order the Mexican Wine, 'LA,Cetto Nebioro', which I like most, due to out of stock. I'd appreciate if Romesco can prepare it for the next visit, thank you. by Sam Otaki.Special Features:
- Great example of BajaMedRanchoDelReyFoodieDined on 4/16/2014Excellent food. Very creative Menu reflecting good BajaMed items. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Sugerencias....MiriamDined on 4/12/2014no me lo tomen a mal....el lugar es muy agradable... buena presentación en los platillos. ........pero nada de lo que probamos me impacto....la única razón por la pienso volver es por disfrutar del show de flamenco. Para mi gusto, aunque es muy callado.....bien valdría tener música de fondo en un volumen que te permita seguir conversando.... Miriam GlezSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatCarynDined on 4/3/2014We love this place and go often. Service is great and they don't male you feel rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely worth a tryJsonDined on 3/30/2014Sunday menu is moderately priced for the level of quality you get. I ordered the lobster ravioli and was not disappointed. About the only thing that keeps Romesco from getting 5 stars was that it took a little too long to get my food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!MickeyDined on 3/23/2014I would eat here again and again. I had a Deal Certificate to try the place out....they will get my continued business. The food was excellent. I had the Braised Short Rib, my fiancé had the Fettuccine and his sister had the Lobster Ravioli. All were excellent. The bread is fresh and chewy as a good baguette should be. The salad was good, as well. The place is beautifully decorated and small enough to be considered quaint, but it has definite expensive bistro vibe without feeling pretentious. If you haven't been...GO! NOW!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the trek from SDSaraDined on 3/14/2014I love Romesco and try new things every time I go. This last visit, the service was fantastic, as usual. The escabeche tostadas are outstanding.Special Features:
- Nice BistrotSepaloVIPDined on 2/27/2014An unusual experience when transpassing the door. Either Mexico City or Madrid or both, everything we tried was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great timeKMM80Dined on 2/21/2014Really nice ambience! The food was delicious and our waiter was very polite. We had a fantastic time.Special Features:
- Redemption in the South Bay!DineOBitesDined on 2/16/2014Romesco's is such a gem to our South Bay. We love just about everything about it and we appreciate how they are so family friendly with a simple menu for kiddos, but it's the parents that definitely benefit from all that is tasty here. Great wine list! Cocktails run on the sweet end for this diner, but otherwise, it's fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Why only NOWBennyDined on 2/15/2014We been to Chula Vista since 2010 and never occurred to me that we have this kind of restaurant that I can always come back because of greatness of food. Recommended must go to this place!!! Awesome food...Special Features:
- FoodErn103Dined on 2/14/2014The food was good but they didn't have the Paella that I wanted. The spaghetti was a lil dry compared to other times we visited. The service was to slow at the beginning.Special Features: