299 West Main Street
Northboro, MA 01532Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.romaines.biz/
- Phone: (508) 393-8889
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday 5:00-8:00pm Monday-Thursday 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
ROMAINE'S NO LONGER ACCEPTS "DINE GIFT" CERTIFICATES,OR VISA, MASTER CARD, AMEX, AND ANY OTHER "REBATE" OR CREDIT CARD "GIFT CARDS".
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Richard Romaine
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private dining room is available for parties of up to 52 guests
- Private Party Contact: Sam Ricard or Gary Benacquista 5083938889x
A word from Romaine's
Romaine's is an American bistro cuisine featuring wood-grilled and roasted entrees. Executive Chef-Owner Richard Romaine's commitment to fresh and local ingredients is showcased in a Southern influenced menu. A big city feel without the attitude and prices.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Romaine's - Best Restaurants in Northboro ›
Romaine's reviews from OpenTable diners
129 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (86)fit for foodies (73)special occasion (66)good for groups (48)vibrant bar scene (38)notable wine list (37)romantic (24)hot spot (18)kid-friendly (9)great for outdoor dining (5)late-night find (4)great for lunch (3)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Always delivers on food and serviceMassdinerDined on 11/17/2014This was my 4th or 5th time to Romaines. And I drive an hour to get there. The wait staff is impeccable! From appetizers to dessert the food is high quality and yummy. Tried truffles fries last night-yum yum. A don't miss restaurant in the Northboro area!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TanyaKitkatDined on 11/9/2014This is an excellent restaurant! We have dined at Romaine's many times for our anniversaries. Last night they had a fund raiser going on so it was much more crowded than usual and noisy but it was still the great restaurant that we enjoy. I love their venison but it is not on the menu this time of year. All of their menu choices are good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wm54Dined on 11/7/2014It was okay. Not as good as the two other times we dined there. My food was okay, nothing spectacular. Service was good. Waitress was good. Room was kind of barny and not well lighted. Probably won't go back.Special Features:
- Forget a before dinner drink!!MJJPDined on 11/1/2014Romaines should have everything you'd want in a restaurant and great evening. A varied menu, very good service, and tasty food. My main problem with them was the fact that we arrived about a 1/2 hour early to get a drink at the bar before dinner. A typical start for us. We went to an empty seat at the bar and was promptly told that they were reserved for people on the bar list. Unfortunately it's another restaurant that has allowed eating at the bar, so they need to have a list. We stated we just wanted a drink, the bartender said we could still have one, which we did. 2 drinks and 24 dollars later, we stood at the doorway with our drinks in hand. I know it's old fashioned, but bars should be bars. Really disappointed!!!Special Features:
- Great dinner!DougieCDined on 10/31/2014Excellent food beautifully prepared, outstanding serviceSpecial Features:
- The server...RigsVIPDined on 10/31/2014was in a hurry! Although my wife told her we were in no rush, we were in and out in less than 80 minutes. I know this is fine for many people, but not us. Now that this is out of my system, I will get to the delicious food that we had. We shared the CHARCUTERIE BOARD appetizer which was very tasty and enough for 2. My wife had the JAMBALAYA PASTA with shrimp, chicken, house-made Andouille, tomato, Cajun spice and orzo and I had the VEAL BOLOGNESE. Both were very tasty and plenty to eat! The server makes or breaks the experience, so overall, it was good and not the usual great! We'll be back!Special Features:
- DisappointedblandDined on 10/31/2014This is our second visit here. This time, ordered fish that was served lukewarm and seemed old. Portion size was small. Potato was bland. Spouse also received small portion with little flavor. Quite expensive for quality and quantity of meals. Not the same experience as our first visit, which was fine. Waitress was efficient but extremely reserved. Won't be back.Special Features:
- Menu ChangesfoodanistaDined on 10/31/2014For some reason you dumped the Creole Shrimp appetizer (the grit shrimp appetizer does not hold a candle to the Creole shrimp) plus no lamb shank anymore? Lamb bar meatballs only? Your classic Haddock dish from the past is gone? I know cooks have to express themselves but really you should keep some classics on the menu and stop deleting them? I travel the world for the leather business and have gone to restaurants from Italia to Thailand and I used to consider you guys near the top but sorry to say not anymore.Special Features:
- Fabulous FoodUniqueHRGDined on 10/30/2014My wife and I enjoyed a wonderful meal at Romaines on 1-/30/14. She had a shrimp dish that she said was fabulous because it was flavored tastefully and was prepared with care. I enjoyed a salmon dish that was cooked perfectly with mushroom slices and leeks, but it was such a small portion that I ate it in five bites (and I am a diner who savors his food). The waitress explained that it was a bar entre but a was presented as special. She neglected to tell me that but was kind enough to comp our dessert (an unbelievable pumpkin cheesecake). We have eaten at Romaines frequently and have never been disappointed. It is priced expensively but the chef makes it worth it.Special Features:
- Seasonal offerings in a cozy venueDMS01532Dined on 10/30/2014Romanie's is a great restaurant in Northborough. Seasonal offerings make it a very nice place to dine. I was there with some coworkers, including one from the UK. We had wonderful meals and a ver competent and knowledgeable waitress who took very good care of us. The pumpkin bisque was superb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always outstandingPenny219Dined on 10/29/2014Once again, we enjoyed a wonderful meal with long time friends. The food is always delicious and presented so beautifully. Our server did not make us feel rushed at all as we sat and chatted over drinks, dinner and dessert. Only one comment--bring back the bread pudding!!! The toffee bread pudding as very good, but it does not beat that original dessert!Special Features:
- First time, but not the lastMJ046Dined on 10/27/2014We tried Romaine's for the first time the other night and were left wondering why we hadn't dined there in the past. The food and service were excellent. We both had the steak tips, which were delicious and cooked exactly to our specifications. The crab cake appetizer was also delicious, as was the pumpkin bisque. I highly recommend Romaine's.Special Features:
- Perfect EveningLaineyDined on 10/26/2014The shrimp with artichokes & pasta was wonderful and the duck was perfect. We look forward to coming back. Whitney was very helpful with recommendations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentjsdinerDined on 10/23/2014Our dining experience was wonderful. Dined with friends who were moving and they wanted one last visit to Romaine's before they left MA!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Under the Brick ChickenEatorDieVIPDined on 10/21/2014I keep coming back for the "Under the Brick Chicken". Had it twice this week. Crispy skin and moist tender meat. And the Truffle Mashed are incredible!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and serviceSallyJLDined on 10/19/2014We had a very nice time, all of our meals were outstanding and the service was perfectSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service is always top-notchNboroGirlDined on 10/19/2014We don't eat here as often as we should, given the food is always good and the service couldn't be better. I was a little disappointed the Chicken Picatta was no longer on the menu, but the Chicken Milanese was a good substitute (although the roasted potatoes that came with it were bland and slightly undercooked). Nice wine list. Waitress was attentive without being overbearing.Special Features:
- The food was excellent.JeanDined on 10/12/2014The service was also excellent. The meals were hot when they were served and the wait was not very long. There were excellent menu choices.Special Features:
- CarolVIPDined on 10/11/2014Creative menu. So many choices, had a hard time deciding. Went with the shrimp and grits appetizer, and the chicken Milanese entree. Both outstanding. Will have to go back another time to try the pumpkin bisque!Special Features:
- Very good service and food.DontgooutenoughDined on 10/3/2014Recommend making reservations ahead for fast service. Great food and service. Awesome pumpkin martinis!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing off nightAtomicrobDined on 10/3/2014We brought our friend from NYC who enjoys Romaines for an early dinner. He and I both ordered the chicken and risotto special. His was good, my plate was noticeably unserved and the chicken, over cooked and tough. It was the first meal I've had at Romaines that I did not enjoy. We'll be back, but it was not a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food - questionable servicefriendsdineoutDined on 9/26/2014Food was fantastic! Really enjoyed the filet, and the "brick chicken" was flavorful. Server was sarcastic and made for an uncomfortable experience. Settings such as restaurants, and other customer facing businesses, service is paramount. The customer is always in the right. Even if there are times when the customer may misunderstand or unintentionally interrupt as server is describing the nightly specials. Servers have a responsibility to smile, being accepting and make the dining experience pleasant. That was not the case in the evening we dined. Bar service may have been a better choice.Special Features:
- A must go to placeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/22/2014Have been there a number of times and always have fantastic food and serviceSpecial Features:
- Excellent ExperienceHarpoon1212Dined on 9/20/2014I was very pleased with the dining experience. The service, the food, and the ambiance makes this restaurant one of the best in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsPenny219Dined on 9/20/2014It was a pleasure to return to Romaine's, a favorite restaurant. We split the greek chopped salad--wonderful! The salmon special was outstanding. Perfectly cooked. The wood-fired Rib-eye was huge and delicious. We know we should try other desserts, but to miss out on the bread pudding would be disappointing, so....bread pudding with decaf is a lovely way to end a delicious meal.Special Features:
- Miss the wood fired ovenrsstraubDined on 9/19/2014We had a terrific meal and service as always, but miss the wood fired grill.Special Features:
- Great food in an unlikely placeHudsontravelersVIPDined on 9/19/2014Romaine's is in a strip mall and very unpretentious when you drive up. They have recently redone the interior, making room for more tables away from the bar. We were meeting friends and wanted to visit. We did not have to shout to visit. We have been to Romaines several times. The food and service are consistently good. Menu changes and nightly specials do not dissapoint. Romaines is worth the trip.Special Features:
- Fun spot for dinner with friendsAdderley3CVIPDined on 9/15/2014The location works with plenty of free parking, attentive staff and a menu with tasty selections for every type of patron. The hostess welcomes you with a smile and the wait staff is equally as friendly. The food is tasty and the staff is willing to share their favorites as suggestions to improve your experience. The wine, beer and drink list isSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OUT TO DINNER123456789123456789123456Dined on 9/9/2014I HAVE BEEN TO ROMAIN SEVERAL TIMES BUT I LASPINA IT'S FRANCE WAS NOT THAT GREAT BECAUSE WHOEVER MADE THE ENTRÉE WHICH WE HAD A BURGER WAS HEAVY-HANDED ON THE SALT AND BOTH MY DAUGHTER AND I DO NOT LIKE IT THAT MUCH WE LOVE THE SHRIMP APPETIZER IT'S FANTASTIC. ANDRE NOT SO GOOD BUT WE LIKE THE SUGAR SNAP CALL BUT THIS TIME EVEN THE BEST – HEELS IN THE PISTACHIO ICE CREAM WERE NOT CRISPY CRUNCHY I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU WOULD CALL IT I LET MY GUARD I HAVE WHAT YOU WANTED SHE LIKES A BLACK RASPBERRY WHATEVER THAT OTHER ICE CREAM . I LIKE CHOCOLATE OR COFFEE OR OREO COOKIE ANYTHING I DON'T LIKE PISTACHIO PARTICULARLY AND I REALLY WOULD CHOOSE THE VANILLA LASTSpecial Features:
- Another great meal!PeterPDined on 9/4/2014For the at least 25th time in a row we had another great meal. From the apps to wine to dinner all was great. I have had groups of 17 down to just my wife and myself. The service and food are always solid.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/2/2014The menu isn't very large - but that's okay. What they make, they make really well. The tenderloin just melted in my mouth. The banana cream pie was heaven.
- Consistently goodrf52Dined on 8/31/2014This is the fifth time eating here and as usual very good.Had crab cake,burger and chicken piccata and all was very goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingluvfoodDined on 8/29/2014The waitress we had was new but great (very friendly and knowledgable). We've been to Romaine's many times before. The last few times we've been, the food has not been as great as we remembered it being previously. This time we ordered a special appetizer of wild mushrooms. My husband and I both love mushrooms, but these were dry and flavorless, though the polenta served with it was good. My salmon was very good; it was cooked perfectly and the salad and potatoes with it were great. My husband's lamb though was mediocre. It was a nice cut, but it did not have much flavor. The quinoa served with it was terrible (and I love quinoa). I tried a bite and had to spit it out; it was like eating a spoonful of salt.Special Features:
- Favorite PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/24/2014My husband & I have always enjoyed Romaine's! The staff is friendly & fun. The food is always good and inventive. It's warm and inviting. We've taken friends and family here many times and some have become regulars too!Special Features:
- DisappointeddswartzDined on 8/22/2014We have been here several times. Mainly for quiet, romantic dinners. This time, there was a large party (20+) for some kind of birthday celebration. Between their loud talking and music, our night was pretty much ruined.
- very disappointingsmithie65Dined on 8/22/2014The quality of the food did not live up to the stellar reviews. It was ok, but not outstanding. The fish dish did nottaste fresh and was not flaky or particularly well seasoned. Other entrees were ok. Portions of things like butter or roasted garlic accompanying the bread were quite simple and not adequate for a table of four, The waitress was pleasant and responsive when asked, but quite busy. she came when the bus boy at our request got her, but did not on her own check with us on how everything was. Vegetables and most entrees were cooked on a hickory smoked grill whose taste lingered and limited choices. It was very loud with a large celebrating table's loud noise level making it hard to talk.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/20/2014Excellent service perfectly paced. Great food from appetizers to dessert. Best cream believe everSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's the best!JEEPGIRL48Dined on 8/19/2014We have been going to Romaine's for years now. It's our first choice when we can get out for an early evening of great dining. I have my favorites and they never disappoint. The shrimp appetizer is my husband's favorite. Mine too!Special Features:
- wineandinewineandineDined on 8/16/2014Romaine's is my favorite restaurant. The menu is not huge but there is a good variety with a couple of specials each day. We have been coming here for years and the service and food are ALWAYS outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for dining locallyanonDined on 8/8/2014Good food thoughtfully presented at reasonable prices. Crab cakes and calamari very good; also salmon and pork chop entrees. Wine list included some half bottles. Booths comfortable and private; service friendly and not too rushed. Will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.