3344 N. Halsted
Chicago, IL 60657Neighborhood:
Lakeview / East Lakeview
SushiPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.rollapaloozachicago.com/
- Phone: 7732816400
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Wednesday - Sunday: 2:00PM - 5:00PM Dinner: Wednesday, Thursday, Sunday & Monday: 5:00PM - 11:00PM
Friday & Saturday: 5:00PM - 12:00AM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Eric Song
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Counter Seating, Delivery, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
A word from Rollapalooza
COZY AND WARM RESTAURANT. FRESH AND DELICIOUS RESTAURANT. WE ARE NOT NO.1 RESTAURANT. HOWEVER WE DO OUR BEST TO SERVE OUR CUSTOMERS.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerSushi
Rollapalooza - Best Restaurants in Lakeview / East Lakeview ›
Rollapalooza reviews from OpenTable diners
29 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (19)fit for foodies (12)romantic (7)special occasion (5)good for groups (5)great for lunch (4)hot spot (4)late-night find (3)great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- My Favorite Sushi PlaceChiGuy1Dined on 9/6/2014I'm not always crazy about sushi but I love this place...very good sushi. Love the atmosphere and it's BYOB. It's often crowded because it's a small place so better reserve ahead.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great menuDonDDined on 9/6/2014Great variety of sushi rolls. The food is really good. The ambience is ok.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food! Ok service.ViajeroDined on 8/31/2014Food was Fantastic. Asparagus & Mango apetizer was fresh. Fish was fresh. The Acapulco and Tequila Maki rolls were phenomenal. Service was ok.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/31/2014Delicious! One of my favorite sushi places in the city. And BYOB! We always get the Mafia, Rollapalooza, and Dynamite rolls. Also, the shumai are yummy!Special Features:
- Great SushiwtlhDined on 8/17/2014One of the best sushi places in Chicago! The seating space is a bit crowded but the food is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a good, simple japanese restaurantguidoDined on 8/12/2014my positive overall judgement comes also by the fact that I dislike the orienta cuisine. It has become a fashion also in Europe and it is not in my soul. Furthermore I think that the wine wedding with that kind of food is very arguable, and I am a wine lover..... they have solved tyhis problem by not serving alcohol (bad surprise for me). But the food (we had to ask suggestions as we could not navigate the complex to us menu) was really outstanding. Fresh, tasty, extremely nice to see, real good (of course with a Coke as a dring was a "dramatic" event for me :-)I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic send-offSmokinDined on 7/11/2014My 10-year old wanted to go back to her "favorite sushi place" before leaving for camp for a month. As usual, everything was fantastic. I even got my daughter to try a few new things, and she liked two out of the three! She's was already a big fan of the Turtle Roll, and I got her to try and love the Sunset and Dragon rolls. Excellent way to send her off!Special Features:
- Love it every time!RICKDined on 7/3/2014LOVE THIS PLACE....EVERY TIME IT IS GREAT, FOOD IS GREAT, AND SERVICE IS EXCELLENT!Special Features:
- Great Food - Awful ServiceToriDined on 6/20/2014I've been to Rollapalooza multiple times and have never been so unhappy as I was on my last visit. The food was perfect and delicious as usual, but the service was awful. I made reservations far ahead of time since we were dining on a Friday night. There were four of us girls and we were planning a relaxed, casual dinner. After 45 mins the waitress became visibly agitated that we were taking too long and came by every 5 mins trying to clear our plates which still had food. Before we hit the 1 hour mark she came to our table and said we were taking too long and they needed our table because they have a 1 1/2 hour limit - there weren't people waiting by the door, we still had 30 mins and other tables were open - it was rude and unnecessary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great rolls!Buffetfan1Dined on 6/19/2014I had dinner there with an old friend I had not seen in a while. We had a wonderful time the staff was friendly & helpful. The rolls were out of this world. The prices were very fair. I believe this is a neighborhood gem as it is right in the middle of a bunch of drinking establishments for an after dinner night cap. If you have not been you really need to go soon!! ENJOY! :)Special Features:
- The following 60 reviews are from the Rollapalooza reviews archive.
- Black Rice Sushi!bpowVIPDined on 4/27/2014Fresh, delicious, scrumptious sushi! Creative roles with unique flavors. Starts are awesome as well. Get the black rice, adds some character.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sushi, great serviceDonahueDined on 3/15/2014I went here with 3 others and had an amazing experience. We ended up splitting 6 rolls between us and they were all amazing. It's also byob which is a plus. The service is really good here as well. I would recommend this place especially if you are lookin for good sushi!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sushi at a great priceDaveDined on 3/15/2014We ordered a few different rolls and brought a bottle of wine from Paired across the street. Great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very nice BYOB sushi placecaroDined on 3/10/2014Lovely little restaurant, staff's brilliant, food was delicious, great value for money, and loving the BYOBI would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Neighborhood FindKelly9154VIPDined on 2/19/2014This neighborhood sushi restaurant isn't all about sushi but you the customer. Eric the owner will make anything you want and Minnie his wife is all about how everything is from the food to making your evening a special time. As picky as I am, everyone that works there is always there to make sure that your evening is perfect!! Word can't express how much everyone cares about you the customer and that your food and dining experience is nothing but the best. Thank guys for always making our evening an enjoyable experience.Special Features:
- Superior Sushi & JapaneseDiningDivaDined on 2/17/2014Very fresh sushi, which is always an important point. Creative sushi rolls, unique to Rollapalooza, are added to the menu along with some unique & more traditional sushi/sashimi offerings. Wide variety of appetizers & sides are also available, as are dinner entrees. Try a side salad with your meal, the house ginger dressing is spectacular (it does contain peanut oil, just an FYI for those with nut allergies), and the house-made teas are also phenomenal. Atmosphere: contemporary & chic. Music: Cool electronic-jazz. Oh, another FYI: Rollapalooza is BYOB, which is also very cool.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful little sushi spot!cannejohnsonVIPDined on 1/4/2014I'm very picky with sushi -- this place was great. The price is amazing. The service was good and the food was super fresh, and not overly sauced!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Roll SelectionJulie3539VIPDined on 11/22/2013Rollapalooza is perfect before a night out in Boystown. My friends and I split several rolls, and none of them disappointed. Our table favorite was the R & J which is a spin-off of a classic Philadelphia. Our other favorite was the Black Monster, and several other tables seemed to enjoy that one also. I would definitely come back here or have it delivered!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Sushi and ServiceChicagoDinerVIPDined on 11/10/2013Rollapalooza always has great sushi and service. I try and go here at least once a month and they never disappoint. We had the Spicy Tataki, which comes out flaming, and the roll is a tad spicy (it's one of my favorites), the black monster (which is my favorite), and the AA Cream Cheese Roll. I'm not sure how they make the AA Cream Cheese Roll taste so good but it's an excellent veggie roll to cleanse the palate in between eating different rolls. The service is always quick and everyone is very friendly. I do recommend making a reservation as it does tend to get busy around 6p.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Sushi!!Kelly9154VIPDined on 10/24/2013We always have a great time and no matter what we order we really enjoy. If you have friends that don't eat seafood they are always open to making something special for you or try their AA Salad & AA rolls. Can't wait to return!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love love loveAmesDined on 10/12/2013Great place! The sushi is amazing! Best in the city! Also a plus: byob with no corking fee. Love everything about this place!!Special Features:
- Unique SushiMashaO413Dined on 9/30/2013This place was a nice surprise - we found the menu to be quite extensive, but found many unique items that we would like to come back and try. The quality of food was outstanding. Love the black rice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Sushi. Great Atmosphere.MJ43Dined on 8/27/2013Great Sushi. Great Atmosphere. Great Service. Great Price. BYOB with no Corking Fee. I was there on a Date and I can't think of anything that wasn't up to par. Definitely would recommend and I will be returning in the future.Special Features:
- BYOB SushiChicagoDinerVIPDined on 8/10/2013I go to Rollapalooza about once a month and the sushi has always been fresh and the rolls are excellent! We ordered the Boston, Black Monster, Rollapalooza, and the AA cream cheese roll (veggie). The Boston was excellent, Black Monster is my favorite roll and it's always amazing, the AA cream cheese roll is light roll to cleanse the palate and the Rollapalooza roll was good. I am not a huge crab fan so I didn't enjoy the rollapalooza roll as much as others but it was still good. The servers are very attentive and friendly which always makes the experience more enjoyable. The restaurant is small so making reservations is definitely a good idea. Overall the sushi and service is great and it's BYOB so why wouldn't you try this place out?!Special Features:
- Rollapalooza is the bomb...!OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/3/2013Great sushi. Super friendly staff. I eat here all the time.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Aesthetically PleasingFrancesVIPDined on 7/19/2013Sushi on fire, in flower formation, and even lookin' like a turtle. Looks beautiful, but wasn't as mind blowing as I had hoped. Definitely a fun find.Special Features:
- The Gem of BoystownOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/15/2013I eat here at least once a week... Sometimes more! Yes it's that good. Fresh sushi, warm and friendly staff. This is a frills, no whistles type of restaurant and its BYOB! It's great to come have dinner some wine then hit the bars or not.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rollapalooza never disappointsSullyLoverVIPDined on 6/9/2013It's tiny but the staff are attentive and the sushi is delish. Love that they are BYOB also!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tastey SushiOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/31/2013I think the rolls here are wonderful and there is an awesome selection. The staff are ALWAYS friendly and the service is excellent (especially for BYOB). It's a little crammed in there when the place is full. It's still one of my favorite sushi places in Chicago.Special Features:
- Great Find!BoltVIPDined on 5/17/2013I don't usually write reviews, but I wanted to write something quick and short for the quality of service and the food we got at Rollapalooza. It's a neighborhood gem, easily some of the best priced quality Sushi locations in all of Chicagoland. It's a little small inside, but it's a good fit. We sat there for three hours, eating and drinking (BYOB but no corkage fee) and enjoying the conversation. Great find.Special Features:
- Great BYOB SushiOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 5/3/2013We've been to Rollapalooza a few times over the past month and just love it. The service is great, and they accommodated our last minute addition of people to our 8 pm Friday reservation without making us wait. The sushi was fresh and delicious (love the Mafia and Turtle rolls), and a terrific time was had by all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rollapalooza never disappoints.OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/14/2013Rollapalooza never disappoints. I visit to eat-in and take-out all the time and the food and service super consistent. The place is BYOB with no corkage fee, the sushi is fresh and the maki innovative. There is nothing bad I can say about this place other than the decor/ambiance, which is a little pedestrian.Special Features:
- I like to try new restaurantsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/4/2013I like to try new restaurants and this is a little gem. The food was very good and the great. It was nice and quiet so that me and me friends were able to have conversion without talking. I would definitely visit this restaurant again.
- Contemporary SushiChicagoDinerVIPDined on 3/29/2013We went at 6p on a Friday & there were only 2 tables filled. Once 6:30-7p came around the place started to fill up. The restaurant is BYOB. We started with the house salad with ginger dressing. The dressing has a peanut flavor to it and it wasn't my favorite but the salad was fresh. We ended up getting 3 rolls, one veggie (asparagus and avacado with cream cheese), the Black Monster, and Spicy Tataki. The veggie was very fresh, the Spicy Tataki is served on a dish that has actual flames. It was a tad spicy but not too bad. The Black Monster was amazing! This was our favorite roll out of the 3. It comes with black rice so it is a different consistecy. Overall our experience was really good and the service was fast and friendly.Special Features:
- Everyone I've ever broughtOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/23/2013Everyone I've ever brought here becomes instantly hooked. Favorite sushi place in the city by far!Special Features:
- This is a great BYOB sushiDonahueDined on 3/23/2013This is a great BYOB sushi place! The rolls are very fresh and they have a large selection to choose from. I would highly recommend this place!Special Features:
- Great neighborhood spotPatrickDined on 3/22/2013We've picked up carryout from here and decided to dine in. The food is very good and the portions are a good value for the money. Free corkage on BYOB makes a great value even better. Service was good and the restaurant is probably best described as energetic both in the decor and noise levels. We'll definitely be back!Special Features:
- My party was especially pleasedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/9/2013My party was especially pleased at the immediate seating through your reservation process. The food presentation was excellent, great menu choices and the BYOB was a major plus!!Special Features:
- Excellent food and service!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/4/2013Neighborhood restaurant with terrific sushi and service. The signature rolls are excellent. Some of our favorites are the Tequila and the Snow White. They will make any roll with black rice. The staff and owners are all extremely nice (Eric, Minnie, Harry, etc...). BYOB a plus...no corkage fee. Highly recommend Rollapalooza.Special Features:
- Excellent neighborhood sushiiOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 2/25/2013Excellent neighborhood sushi restaurant. Signature rolls are delicious. Especially like the tequila roll and rolls made with black rice (they will make any roll with black rice). Staff and owners are very nice and customer focused. Thanks to Eric, Minnie and Harry for the great service. BYOB with no corkage fee a plus.Special Features: