Rokkaku Ala Moana
1450 Ala Moana Blvd #2056
Honolulu, HI 96814Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
Rokkaku Ala Moana
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.rokkak.com/
- Phone: 8089463355
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30 am - 2:30 pm
Dinner: Daily: 5:30 pm - 9:30 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Executive Chef: Hitoshi Nitta
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Full Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Rokkaku has a small tatami room called "Koagari" for 4-10 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Akiko 8089463355
A word from Rokkaku Ala Moana
Rokkaku is a modern Japanese cuisine offering an elegant setting of Japanese food - Raw and Grilled seafood, Wagyu Stake, Chef’s daily special and an extensive selection of wine and sake.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Rokkaku Ala Moana reviews from OpenTable diners
10 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (7)special occasion (7)great for lunch (4)good for groups (3)romantic (3)neighborhood gem (2)kid-friendly (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Tasty but a bit expensiveImpressedVIPDined on 9/15/2014The food was very good. However, except for the green salad with miso dressing, the portions were on the small side. One would expect a Japanese restaurant to include a bowl of rice with the meal, but not as a side order, especially since the entree portion was on the smaller size.Special Features:
- ChefMarkDined on 9/4/2014I made the reservation through Open Table and mentioned that it was are anniversary, and as soon as we walked in they asked me if we had reservations, I said my name and they said .... oh Mr. Sanders, " Happy anniversary" then presided to take us to our table ..... the rest was simply AMAZZING !!!Special Features:
- Dad's visitnomnomDined on 8/31/2014We went there for dinner, we were seated quickly in the tatami room. It was a really nice, the restaurant did not seem really busy, our meal was really nice and we were not competing to make conversation over "restaurant" noise. The food was presented nicely, everything is ala carte but that is good that the meal can be eaten family style and everyone can taste several dishes. It was a really nice night, good atmosphere, good food. Only disappointment they were out of almost all their ice cream flavors so the dessert menu was very limited.Special Features:
- Great food. Good value. Loved it!KalenaDined on 8/11/2014Food quality good. I invited another couple to join us a they were very accommodating.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Salmon belly is awesome!AlanzioDined on 7/11/2014Must try the perfectly grilled salmon belly. It is slightly crispy on the outside but so juicy on the inside. It's not a skimpy either, it comes with two large pieces and a smaller piece. So delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 46 reviews are from the Rokkaku Ala Moana reviews archive.
- OrdinaryKeiko101Dined on 5/18/2014Heard about Rokkaku from a Japanese friend so we decided to try out. The black pork belly came highly recommended so we ordered that. It was okay. Very lightly seasoned and you cook it on a hot stone. Nothing special. The most exciting thing on the menu was the uni tempura wrapped in shiso leaves. It was a bday celebration (which they knew ahead of time) but I guess the restaurant doesn't do anything special for bday celebrants. Overall, they didn't have anything special to offer. I'd much rather spend my money at other Japanese restaurants.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/16/2014Very good food, service was also very good. We were impressed with the quality of the food.Special Features:
- DisappointedLovesYummyVIPDined on 5/1/2014Took a friend there to celebrate her certification. Were the first there and seated promptly. I ordered the Taster's fixed price menu and was disappointed. Every dish was a sweet one with little variation. My friend ordered a teri-chicken ala carte and a California roll. She said both were "okay"; the California roll tasting better than others she'd had elsewhere. Some Japanese nationals walked in with 2 kids about 7 years old. The kids were rambunctious and had the run of the house. Conversations among other guests were disturbed; I couldn't hear my companion. The Japanese of today are very permissive with their children; no discipline or reprimands; no consideration for others. Did not have the best dining experience.Special Features:
- Real Good Japanese foodwheatyDined on 3/22/2014Real deal. Excellent Japanese food, done really well. This is real Japanese food - like you would find in Japan. Not local watered down, sweetened, greasy local crap. A bit pricey probably due to the rent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Regular HereJapaneseFoodLoverVIPDined on 2/23/2014This is one of my "go to" places when I need solid quality, delicious Japanese food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second VisitMikePDined on 2/13/2014Rokkaku Ala Moana was absolutely fantastic in every way. One of the best dining experiences I have ever had. The food and service were exceptional. Mike PSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- QuestionableMikePDined on 2/8/2014The food was great. The service was absolutely some of the worst I have ever had. And because of that I would not return. The restaurant was basically empty so overcrowding was not the problem.Special Features:
- guaranteed enjoyable mealMJC808VIPDined on 12/3/2013guaranteed enjoyable meal if you order what we had: tofu salad (toasted sesame seeds on 3 generous mounds of tofu with a sweet, light, not too vinegary dressing), shrimp tempura (always perfectly fried, sweet and tender) jidori chicken with yuzu kosho, miso soup (best flavor, always seasoned well). Love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a winner!JapaneseFoodLoverVIPDined on 10/19/2013We've been here several times and have yet to experience a bad meal. Every dish is excellently prepared and tasty. Portions are good size, even the small $5 dishes offer a wonderful option. You can literally eat very well for $30. Don't let the mall location fool you. We look forward to returning again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Real Japanese Food!AnneToinetteVIPDined on 10/13/2013Their quality of rice is very good. This is what I want to eat everyday. Service is very attentive. We normally go to lunch, but I recommend you to go there for dinner. Menu has more variety to choose from very authentic Japanese dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food! in Ala MoanaSteak45VIPDined on 8/31/2013We ate here last minute, the food is always good, and reasonable, Rokkaku is becoming a favorite of ours, the radish salad was yummy, and the curry tongue was super tender, you should try this dish, the mashed potato under the tongue just loved it. Anyhow always pleased!Special Features:
- Not a bad restaurant for beingrollstonVIPDined on 7/3/2013Not a bad restaurant for being located in a shopping mall. Unfortunately the food quality was better a few years back when they had the head chef from Japan running the place. Still not a bad choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food! in Ala MoanaSteak45VIPDined on 6/21/2013I was surprised, I decided to try this Restaurant recommended by OpenTable. It turned out to be very good. Their sesame salad is very tasty and their butter-fish was cooked perfectly. Anyways this unexpected great Japanese with pleasant dining experience that's not super expensive. I definitely will go again.Special Features:
- tasteful morselsAliceDined on 6/8/2013Each item from appetizer and salad to main dish and desert was excellent. The homemade ice-cream, we ordered caramel, was a surprise hit. The accompanying azuki bean lumpia was crisp and balanced the bite of the lightly sweetened ice cream.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a Gem!JapaneseFoodLoverVIPDined on 5/20/2013We've passed by this place tons of times while shopping at Ala Moana, always thought about stopping to eat, but never did. Now, we are scratching our heads asking "why?" It's hard to tell from the outside, but this is a very comfortable, well-appointed restaurant with world class food and service. We tried several appetizers and a few main dishes (grilled tako, tempura sweet potato, katsu, butter fish, spicy seafood salad... to name some) and all were extremely delicious. The Manager/Chef and servers were attentive, friendly and gracious and did not overwhelm you as some restaurants do. Can't wait to return and try other items on the menu. Very nice place with fresh, high quality food and less expensive then we anticipated. What a gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great authentic Japanese food.MBHawaiiVIPDined on 5/14/2013Great authentic Japanese food. Excellent price for the quality. Nice quiet place to dine. Highly recommended!I would recommend this to a friend.
- tofu salad, shrimp tempura,MJC808VIPDined on 3/16/2013tofu salad, shrimp tempura, miso soup, jidori chicken with yuzu kosho, rice = satisfying meal, all high quality ingredients, one of the best places to dine at Ala Moana Shopping CenterSpecial Features:
- It had a great ambience, waiter/waiOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 3/15/2013It had a great ambience, waiter/waitree were very friendly and helpful, food was small portion but quality wast delicious. I would definitely recommend this to Guest.Special Features:
- Very expensive, smallish portionsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/9/2013Very expensive, smallish portions and not very tasty
- Food outstanding, especiallyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/23/2013Food outstanding, especially the tongue in curry sauce. Tongue just melts in your mouth.Special Features:
- Rokkaku is a Japanese restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 2/15/2013Rokkaku is a Japanese restaurant with two types of cuisine, both excellent. Traditional Japanese foods is served at lunch and dinner. But at dinner, the chef adds foodie items like foie gras sushi (delicious). Yes, it can be expensive but everything here is fresh and top quality. It's hidden in the mall so look for it. If you like Japanese food, you'll be glad you did.Special Features:
- Everything was fantastic,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/7/2013Everything was fantastic, especially the unagi kamameshi.Special Features:
- Ono Oxtail NabelovefoodDined on 1/19/2013This is a small and quiet Japanese restaurant. The dinner menu does not serve teishoku and the items are ala carte. There's no sushi too. Kind of pricey but tasty. I love the oxtail nabe....it's the best. Lots of veggie, tofu, mushrooms and oxtail. The broth is clear and not fatty.Special Features:
- Nice lunch. The food is aChoduVIPDined on 1/6/2013Nice lunch. The food is a great value. Had heard a lot of nice things about this restaurant and the food did not disappoint.Special Features:
- order the jidori chicken withMJC808VIPDined on 12/18/2012order the jidori chicken with yuzu kosho or the shrimp tempura or the tofu salad and you won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- Serene setting with excellent,MurieDined on 12/6/2012Serene setting with excellent, authentic Japanese food hidden in the hubub of Ala Moana.Special Features:
- Rokkaku is a pleasant changeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2012Rokkaku is a pleasant change from the typical mall eatery. We do not frequent this establishment, but enjoy it from time to time as a special treat. The food was delicious and beautifully presented, as usual. However, service was slightly lacking this time. There is a language barrier with the staff that is usually workable, but there were a few thing lost in translation this time. They mixed up a few of our orders, but nothing extreme. All in all, polite and accommodating.Special Features:
- They have recently changedIH07VIPDined on 10/19/2012They have recently changed chefs but the food is still good.Special Features:
- The food and service was outstandinSmokeyVIPDined on 10/19/2012The food and service was outstanding. Since it's a Japanese restaurant, I expected great presentation and taste but small portions. That's what we got. But even with that, the pricing was fair for the size of the portions. I also looked over the wine list: the selection looked pretty broad and the mark-ups were not as much as I sometimes see. This place is definitely worth trying out!Special Features:
- This is my new favorite placeMJC808VIPDined on 9/5/2012This is my new favorite place to go to when I'm shopping at the mall and want to get away from the busy foot traffic and just relax with some good food. I dined here solo this visit and enjoyed my favorite dish - the jidori chicken with yuzu kosho. Along with a bowl of rice and a bowl of miso soup it was so satisfying, I can't wait to go back and have the same meal all over again. Also I'm glad that my server noted that the chicken would be about a half hour wait. I had time to spare and I was craving it so I was willing to wait for it. If I had a dining companion I would have also ordered a serving of shrimp tempura, another tried and true dish from this restaurant, it would have been too much food to order it for myself.Special Features:
- Absolutely the best, authentic,OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/16/2012Absolutely the best, authentic, Japanese food using premium ingredients. If you want authentic upscale Japanese food, this is it.Special Features:
- Excellent Japanese cuisine,OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/20/2012Excellent Japanese cuisine, but not ideal for children! I will visit again without the kiddies.Special Features:
- I was here for dinner twiceMJC808VIPDined on 4/13/2012I was here for dinner twice this week. Great location next to Sephora at Ala Moana shopping center. Love their shrimp tempura and tofu salad.Special Features:
- I have never been disappointedMJC808VIPDined on 4/9/2012I have never been disappointed here. Unfortunately they were out of uni and when we ordered the salmon sashimi they only had enough for a half order (3 slices) but it was of a very high quality. The tofu salad wth three giant mounds of soft tofu in a light dessing and bubu arare is a dish I will return to again and again and the shrimp tempura is also done exceptionally well - nice and crisp, so sweet and tender cooked to perfection, better than most restaurants offering this item. Thevrestaurant is a nice quiet space away from the ustle and bustle of the traffic at the mall.Special Features:
- Delicious authentic JapaneseOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/7/2012Delicious authentic Japanese cuisine, but small portions for the amount paid. Highly recommend the butterfish and udon!Special Features: