6335 N. 16th St.
Phoenix, AZ 85016Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.burningembersphoenix.com/
- Phone: (602) 287-8900
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00 pm; Dinner: Sunday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican / Southwestern, American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: A beautiful cozy dining room that seats up to parties of 14. A/V available for presentations. Extensive wine list and wine by the glass selection.
- Private Party Contact: Celeste Neumann 602-285-1780x
A word from Rokerij
Grilled steaks and chops cooked over pecan wood fires, fresh fish, daily blackboard specials, small plate appetizers and an extensive wine by the glass selection. Dimly lit with eclectic music, sit at the upstairs bar and watch your food being prepared, dine in our over-sized booths or make your way downstairs and hang at the cellar bar. The Rokerij is truly a feast for your senses. Reservations are for parties of four or more.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Rokerij reviews from OpenTable diners
33 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (20)fit for foodies (11)romantic (9)special occasion (8)notable wine list (8)hot spot (7)good for groups (6)great for brunch (5)great for lunch (4)great for outdoor dining (4)late-night find (3)vibrant bar scene (3)Show More
- Not as good as usuallovethebestrestaurantsDined on 11/15/2014We are huge fans of this restaurant and have been going for years. This time it seemed because our waitress had the big room in addition to our table we suffered a bit with service. WE had a drink that did not come with the rest (and then came without the lemon we asked for ), a chili potato that did not come with the meal and drawn butter that did not arrive until the fish was cold. We haven't had this experience before so it was a shock to us. In addition, we said online that it was for a birthday celebration and usually the waitress or waiter would acknowledge this when seating us. Hopefully this was just a fluke as we were disappointed overall with one of our all-time favorite places.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch is a mustMovingvanDined on 11/9/2014Creative entrees, attentive service and a pleasant atmosphere make Rokerij a must experience.Special Features:
- FineDinerFineDinerVIPDined on 11/8/2014The Rokerij/Richardson's has been our favorite "go to" restaurant since we moved to Phoenix 13 years ago. I unfortunately we are beginning to change our minds. R/R is losing it's old charm. The carne adovada is no longer New Mexican, but so Scottsdale-like, timid and boring. The menu change this fall removes many of the old favorites, portions are about the same, but sides are reduced from two to one, the plate covering tortilla is gone (can ask for one now for an extra), and prices are up. I understand beef prices are up, but the prime rib price is right out of a big city. Don't raise prices and cut back at the same time. We are long time regulars, but have to look for a place that has real NM cuisine...it's a long drive to ABQ!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must when we are in Phoenix.maf17Dined on 10/19/2014Great place for brunch, lunch or dinner. Close friends introduced several years ago. Mimosas are awesome, food even better. Good food, good drinks, good friends, life is good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingFantasticDined on 10/18/2014I was disappointed in the food. Normally it is good but mine was dry and pretty much tasteless.Special Features:
- Fabulous food, service not so muchmorevinoplease2014VIPDined on 9/16/2014We have dined at the Rokerij many times over the years, and the food never disappoints. NEVER. The service almost always is a complete let-down though. Slow comes close to describing it on our recent visit, so this is the last time for us.Special Features:
- I won't be backworldtravelerVIPDined on 9/13/2014I used to like the Rokerij and ate there quite often, but after being asked to "wrap it up" after my last sip of wine and bite of dessert, because they wanted to turn over my table, rubbed me the wrong way. The menu has changed quite a bit as well. It appears that they have now adopted an attitude of "make as much money as possible." When we later called to complain to a manager, all he could say was "Okay." What kind of customer service is that? There are plenty of other restaurants in Phoenix so Rokerij/Richardsons won't be making any more money from me.
- New menu is disappointingTravelinghawkeyeDined on 9/12/2014Took a couple from out of town here for the first time as we love this place. My wife talked up the boards of specials. We walked in and no boards. Multiple wait staff members shared in our disappointment of the new format. Also our favorite appetizer, the tenderloin toasts, increased in price by around 30% as it is the highest priced appetizer already. It is now more expensive than most entrees. The food was great in what we ordered as usual just not as many options from the Richardson's menu and fewer daily options. Change in this instance will take away our favorite spot to take friends and family in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hickam13Dined on 9/7/2014Love coming here. Celebrating is always a wonderful thing good food good ambiance and love location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- service awesome, food ehhfoodieDined on 8/30/2014We tried to get in at Richardson's but they were booked, my party was craving it. Rokerij was decent, but for the price point I would probably choose a different restaurant since there are so many places out there. My husband and I have been dining at Richardson's for years and still love it. The grilled oysters at Rokerij were not good, especially for the price, the raw oysters were super small, we did not try the Rokerij Oysters. My sister had the sangria, it was ok, but the Peach Schnopps took over the whole taste of it.Special Features:
- a little disappointingRMHDDined on 8/3/2014I hadn't been to Rojerij in a couple of years and I must say I was a bit disappointed. Our server was pleasant and not in our faces. My friend ordered fish, which was supposed to be one of their specialties. It was full of bones. Two of my friends ordered the "special" potato, which is served in a pepper. They ate very little of it. I had a small caesar salad and it was so-so. Not sure we'll return soon.Special Features:
- The following 338 reviews are from the Rokerij reviews archive.
- Great Birthday Dinner!JennPhoenx14Dined on 7/9/2014I enjoyed a terrific birthday dinner with my family at Rokerij this week! Nicolle, our server made our experience just perfect! We wanted to eat an early dinner and Nicolle made it happen. The meal was well paced and all of the entrees were wonderful and substantial! We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place! :)outnaboutDined on 7/4/2014Very special, very unique. Downstairs is such a great refuge from the big city corporate feel. Cool, dark and inviting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Visit to ScottsdaleLadiesLeisurelyLunchVIPDined on 6/25/2014A friend you visits Scottsdale often recommended this and two other owner restaurants. The food and service were excellent. I would highly recommend. Our server went beyond the call of her duty. The valet and hostess were preofessional and welcoming also.Special Features:
- Not sure if I'll be back.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/21/2014I've been a long time customer of all three of the Richardsons family of restaurants & have hosted corporate events there. Saturday night I was there with 3 friends. Dinner was great until we got the check. Rokerij doesn't split checks. We asked our server before dinner if we could and he said no problem if we split it ourselves. The check came, we did as instructed but forgot to include tax. We redid the math and when the server brought us our credit slips, he said "Don't come back." We thought he was joking, and but then he repeated himself loudly. We spoke to the manager and he gave us 2 vouchers for free lunch/brunch & acknowledged the problems with the server but not sure if I'll be back. It ruined an otherwise great evening.
- Botched it at the endTDogDined on 6/21/2014Rokerji is a very good restaurant, and worth visiting. Very good food, great atmosphere, etc. Unfortunately, during our last visit our waitress also had to deal with a large party and our service was very slow as a result. It took her over an hour to take our order. That, however, would have been fine had the hostess not come up to us as we were getting ready to leave and asked "Do you have another reservation?," i.e., you have been at the table too long. Really? You make us wait for an hour to order, and then suggest we have been at the table too long. Bad move that soured what was otherwise a lovely evening.
- Great spotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/8/2014Wonderful dining experience, with a great wait staff that are very knowledgeable.Special Features:
- Enjoy Yourself With FoodAZBobVIPDined on 5/17/2014The Carne Adovado was outstanding. Service was attentive but not overbearing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day BrunchBetsyLDined on 5/11/2014We had not visited in quite awhile - while the food was excellent, it seems the menu has changed to be more Richardson-esque. For a mid-day brunch it was also very dark inside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is amazingSunnyinAzDined on 5/10/2014The restaurant has an unusual layout, which makes it fun. We started in the bar downstairs and then headed upstairs for our table of 6. Everyone had an amazing meal, and the atmosphere was great for our group. Good food and good friends - can't ask for anything better than that!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/6/2014We have been here many times. Each time is better than the one before. The service is always special. The food is always delicious. We have had many different dishes and they have all been wonderful. The sauces are always different and each one is spectacular. It's a little dark in the restaurant but once your eyes get accustomed to it ----- it does not feel dark at all. Their happy hour is a must.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BabsVIPDined on 4/26/2014Food was good, nice selection of fish, good serviceSpecial Features:
- EnjoyedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/18/2014The food was delicious. As a group of 7, we mostly ordered small plates and appetizers. The tenderloin toasts and bacon wrapped scallops were amazingly cooked. Bread pudding was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet evening with friends--NO!NeilVIPDined on 4/10/2014Wonderful food and wine. Great decor but horrible noise level from both the overhead "canned"music and loud surrounding tables where 7 people were crowded into what should have been a 4-5 top. Oh well they did turn down the music and the bar finally quieted down so we adapted. Food was great as usual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not bad, but not great.ChuzifoodVIPDined on 3/24/2014The food was cooked well but the flavors and presentations were lacking and unbalanced. We had a nice time, but for $150, without alcohol, it should have been a heck of a lot better.
- AwesomeYumasterDined on 3/23/2014I am dreaming about their chicken dish Chimayo, it was to die for!Special Features:
- Wow, What a Disappointment!KimnVIPDined on 3/23/2014Menu says, "6 oz. beef tenderloin pan seared, served on toast with three peppercorn sauce." I got a soup bowl of pepper water, a soggy piece or bread, and a decent steak topped with a burnt onion ring. This followed a house salad that consisted of barely dressed mixed greens from a bag. I spoke to the manager who confirmed that the dish was properly prepared and that customers love the tasteless, formless "sauce" with the soggy bread. So much liquid in the bowl, by the way, that the server nearly sloshed it all over me when she served it. Only good thing was that the manager removed the item from our bill. Our fourth visit: 1st two times we loved it; 3rd was questionable; 4th was the end. Very Disappointing.
- No alterations! Nicht!pgdzynerDined on 3/1/2014I have out-of-town guests and always like them to experience the wonderful food and service at the Rokerij. I was craving my favorite Carne Adovada (pork roast dish), however I usually replace the rice and beans with some of their fresh seasonal vegetables. Not this time! Apparently the kitchen can't handle changing out sides (as of a couple months ago). So had to completely switch gears and figure out a new direction very quickly as rice & beans are not my friends. As expected the meal was delightful but still craving my Carne!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool place - OK serviceFoodiewannabeDined on 2/28/2014Very cool space, nice menu, lot's of options for great food. The subterranean bar is very nice, with a fireplace and interesting bar area. My only complaint about the bar and dining experience has to do with the service. Three people behind the bar, not really paying attention to customers seated there, I and several people around me sat with empty glasses and had to flag down one of the bartenders who then went on taking care of orders from servers for literally several minutes before pouring a beer for usSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodDebboDined on 2/23/20143rd time there! Never disappoints! Great food, service was amazing! This was my pic for my birthday!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome as usualJimPDined on 2/22/2014Richardson's and Rokerij are always at the top of my list. The ambiance is amazing and the food is second to none. Twice a month if not more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't be fooledBotomkinsDined on 2/8/2014This place is one of the best spots in Phoenix. Can be crowded and may seem like a dive. The food, service and atmosphere is 5 star!! Excellent food, extensive menu, knowledgeable,helpful wait staff. All around excellent service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodDaveDined on 2/6/2014The food, the setting and the service was outstanding. Looking forward to my next visit.I would recommend this to a friend.
- RokerijAnnieDined on 1/25/2014The service was exceptional and the food, really delicious. Lots of specials on the menu. Surprised at the allowance of dogs in the restaurant, but perhaps the dog was a service animal. At around 6:00, they dimmed the lights to the point where you could hardly see......really too dark for our taste. Had to use our phone flashlight to read the bill. Overall, everything else was great..............Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food and ambiance wereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/21/2014The food and ambiance were fantastic, however, we made a single reservation for our party and were extremely disappointed when we arrived and were seated at two separate tables. The original reservation was made online and a follow up call was made to confirm and at no time was it mentioned that there was a possibility that our group might be separated. We booked the dinner as a team building event and separate tables were a huge inconvenience for this purpose.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely differentRowdyVIPDined on 1/6/2014Not your normal restaurant. You'll experience very unique dishes excellently prepared with south of the border influence. I love the rokerij oysters and the bacon wrapped shrimp oysters. My personal favorite is the chi mayo chicken. Definitely ask the waiter about how spicy or hot dishes are as some do have more kick than others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Fave For SureOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/3/2014Can't go wrong here. Cool outside area between it and Richardson's. Food unbelievably good every time. Good wines. Just small. Which is good and bad. Feels cramped, but have never had trouble getting a table. Brunch is awesome. Staff aren't amazing, but do okay. A go-to restaurant for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I had just had foot surgerycelsinDined on 1/1/2014I had just had foot surgery and needed a corner booth at fireplace so I could rest foot on my knee walker-was accommodated- we were 5 dining. As usual the ambiance is lovely and the food and service are consistently very good :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely Awesome!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/27/2013I love in Los Angeles and this restaurant is as good as anything there. You must try it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comfortable Eveningsobal2Dined on 12/24/2013We chose this restaurant to get together for Christmas Eve. I'd had brunch here once before and was pleased to get sat by the cozy fire again for this visit. Rokerij is comfortable, the music is played at an enjoyable level, loud enough to here, and soft enough to carry on a conversation with my tablemates. The food is unique and exceptional. I look forward to our next visit and to share this gem with more friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.