801 Massachusetts Avenue
Boston, MA 02118Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://rokasushi.com/
- Phone: 6179899988
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Sunday: 11:00am - 2:00am
- Payment Options: Cash Only
- Cuisine: Sushi, Fusion / Eclectic, Asian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Roka
Sushi + Modern Asian CuisineContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Roka reviews from OpenTable diners
8 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelQuiet
neighborhood gem (6)good for groups (5)romantic (5)special occasion (4)great for lunch (3)fit for foodies (3)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (2)kid-friendly (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/20/2014The decor of the restaurant was very nice. The wait staff was slow. The food came out cold the first time and warm the second although it was tasty. I can only give it a fair reviewSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh FusionmarkjasonDined on 8/8/2014Beyond the fusion of Chinese with Japanese, this restaurant also integrates a creative floor plan with high ceilings, relaxing curved space, and diverse seating and views from booths, tables and bar stools. The seafood is especially tasty and fresh, with sauces that bring out rather than overwhelm the meats, fishes, and vegetables. Our waitress Pam was delightful, giving us privacy while instinctively being nearby whenever we needed her. The dishes were very colorful, with bright green and red peppers, Chinese broccoli, and parsley for the palate. The wasabi was an island with a parsley tree sticking out, looking like a bonzai. The fusion of ambience, taste, smell, color, shapes made for a formidably strong experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 27 reviews are from the Roka reviews archive.
- Nice ambiance, food so-soLeeMVIPDined on 4/16/2014Nice place, spacious, plus validated parking. Food wasn't bad...wasn't particularly good either. Steak dish was overpriced for what you get. Ika salad was a bit rubbery.
- We went here for my daughter"sOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/27/2014We went here for my daughter"s 21'st Birthday. There are many food choices to please everyone. The food and service were very good and so were the drinks. The staff was friendly and the owner came over to make sure everything was to our satisfaction. They brought over cheesecake and sang Happy Birthday to my daughter! We had a great time.Special Features:
- A Huge MissBostonDinnahVIPDined on 3/22/2014We got a decent bottle of white wine and some sushi rolls. Random sushi rolls there was a paper slip to mark off your rolls and instead of those we were brought a random selection. When asking the waiter after he just kind of smiled and said we ordered it and maybe we forgot. All three rolls (spicy tiuna, salmon and yellowtail) were all the same dull red minced filling that looked like it was squeezed from a tube. I'm not a frequent sushi eater, but I have never seen the fish minced into a paste. It was unappetixing in both visual appeal as well as mouth feel. My friend very succinctly stated it was an "Underwhelming experience"
- Have been here before a fewbermudaonionVIPDined on 3/14/2014Have been here before a few times. This time the food was not as good. Change in Chef? The sushi and maki rolls are the best bet. Very pretty, very clean, great parking, very pretty setting. Large group was VERY loud and sound carried in room on Mass Ave. We could not really talk without leaning in and yelling. Next time would sit in other room.Special Features:
- Deliciousdine0920Dined on 3/11/2014This was my first time going to Roka. The sushi was amazing. We ordered a couple of our favorites: California Roll and Spicy Salmon Roll. We also ordered two special rolls which were fantastic. For appetizers we chose Hot and Sour Soup and edamame. The soup was also delicious. I will definitely return. The restaurant was quiet, perhaps because we went on a weeknight, but it was very nice to be able to have a conversation in a restaurant in Boston without the loud crowd.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden But Worth FindingJoesDinerVIPDined on 3/8/2014Free parking across the street. Good service, very pleasant helpful waiter Each sushi order was fresh, plentiful & well presented. Prices very reasonable. 730 on a Sat nite, 1/2 empty same when left @ 9:15. Location is out of the way. Nice ambiance but place was COLD this night. Definitely worth another visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- we were very pleased withSCOlsenVIPDined on 2/27/2014we were very pleased with our experience. The waiter was very knowledgeable and helped us find our way through the menu. Food was great - would recommend to friends.Special Features:
- Sterile environmentScottieOVIPDined on 2/17/2014We found this place to be falling short in many ways. Their menu isn't up to date and lists sake's they don't even carry any longer. The room is lit by fluorescent lighting and tacky white Christmas lights that blink often and are quite disturbing. There's no music in the background which this place could really use. We felt like we were in a hospital cafeteria. The sushi was fair but not good enough to draw me back. Service was fair but not the best. I wouldn't choose to return here. Unfortunately for this restaurant, there are too many other places with good sushi, better ambiance, and an overall better experience to have. I was excited to find here and left never wanting to return. I don't see this place lasting for too long.
- Terrific sushi! One of theOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/16/2014Terrific sushi! One of the best sushi restaurants in Boston. Wide selection. Great quality. Nice service.Special Features:
- Awesome pad thai and sushi!KeekeDined on 2/14/2014Food and service was great. Our entire table was pleased with the food. The ambiance was gorgeous and esthetically pleasing. There is a nice private dining area which is perfect for large groups.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Appalling ServiceMikeDined on 2/14/2014The food was pretty good, that's all I have to say for this restaurant. When we were seated it took 20 minutes before our waitress even introduced herself to us, and this set the tone for the remainder of the evening. We ordered drinks (just two glasses of wine) and appetizers at the same time; our appetizers came out in a timely fashion, however, it took another 20 minutes for our wine to come out. We ordered edamame and seaweed salad; although the edamame was good the seaweed salad was made up of half seaweed and the rest regular lettuce. Finally, 50 minutes into sitting down the waitress took our order for Sushi, only for her to come over later and tell us she lost the menu used to check off what we wanted.
- Went on Valentine's Day, andRachelVIPDined on 2/14/2014Went on Valentine's Day, and they even brought a rose at the end of the meal. Lovely!Special Features:
- Not a great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2014Visited Roka and was extremely disappointed. Prices were equivalent to a high end restaurant and their sushi was mediocre. But, I'm going out of my way to write a negative review because of their service. Two staff members were unprofessional including our waiter. He didn't bring us water, which we had to ask for. He also didn't clear our neatly stacked plates which he had 2 opportunities to clear when he visited our table. For the price, lack of ambience, okay sushi and dealing with unprofessional employees you can do much better in the city of Boston.
- Sushi in the South EndMickVIPDined on 2/14/2014Great restaurant on the "bad" side of Mass Ave at Albany, lots of traffic, horns, snow, ice, bitter cold wind, a block west of the BU Medical Center. Inside all is calm, placid, beautiful, warm, welcoming. As a first time sushi eater did not know what to expect. OMG. It was fantastic, just terrific. Definitely worth a visit even if you don't have business at the hospital.Special Features:
- Bar is Great - Food just So-soBostonDinerVIPDined on 1/10/2014This neighborhood doesn't have much going on in terms of restaurants, so Roka is a welcome addition. The atmosphere is quite nice, and the space is big. Quiet with soft lighting, a pleasant environment. Food is quite heavy, and we were both a little ill afterward. I would return for drinks and light bites - the bartender is awesome, and it's a great bar. Servers are friendly, but I wouldn't do dinner again. Hopefully it will just get better, as that hotel and the neighborhood need a good restaurant. It's halfway there, and I hope they succeed!Special Features:
- Awesome rolls, great service!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 1/3/2014They have really creative special rolls that were absolutely delicious! Their individual sushi pieces were large and the fish was fresh. The tea is a great deal... For 9 bucks (for three people) we had essentially endless tea (take that Olive Garden!). Their portions we're all generous and I felt that it was appropriately priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the MenuJackieAVIPDined on 12/31/2013Diverse, creative menu for sushi lovers. Definitely a fan of my sake cocktail, too.Special Features:
- decent Japanese foodeddieDined on 12/24/2013Good as far as pan Asian goes. The sushi was very good. The other food was decent not great.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is portioned well andAmandaDined on 12/20/2013Food is portioned well and the staff is nice. Lunch service can be slow and more staff is needed. It's great for big groups if you're planning an event and the decor is nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service at this restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 12/12/2013Service at this restaurant was appauling. Multiple items were unavailable from the menu. Our server never even asked to refill our waters, while we were there for over an hour. Our entire sushi order was forgotten about, and the server had to "re-enter" the order after waiting for an hour. Would not revisit this restaurant.
- Roka Is a Fresh Face in the SEFish5VIPDined on 12/7/2013Roka is new to the SE and offers very good sushi at reasonable prices. The service is good and menu extensive so it is really worth trying - we tried the Spider Maki as well as the Roka Maki and another special Maki which was spicy with red and white tuna. Salmon sashimi was excellent and a nice portion. They also offer chinese food but we did not try. Great for groups and parking is FREE!!!! Go and try this place!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A GembermudaonionVIPDined on 12/4/2013The fod was wonderful. Some imaginative items on the menu. Our waitperson (Emmie as I recall) was so knowledgeble and lovely. The owner came over to say hello and check on everyting. Beautiful space. Love that upholstery on the chairs. We will be back-Special Features:
- RokaOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/23/2013The food and service were fantastic and the restaurant is beautiful. The sushi rolls and sashimi were extremely fresh. The menu has something for everyone and the cocktails were phenomenal! You can't go wrong.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ROKA:New South End Asian restaurantFrannymoDined on 11/23/2013ROKA opened in October, 2013. The space is huge; there were very few tables filled on this particular Saturday night. The owner chatted with us at the end of our meal and told us he is trying to build a loyal clientele. Service was outstanding. The food was quite good - most of our party of 6 had various sushi platters and they were extremely pleased. Two of us had the superb teriyaki salmon. Our fabulous wait staffer suggested we try the kimchi fried rice - we were delighted. One wonderful perk: FREE parking in the nearby garage!!! In the South End parking spaces are at a premium, especially on weekend nights. The garage is just a short walk from ROKA's front door and added extra points to a nice evening with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/19/2013We were pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food. Service was pretty good too. We'll likely return.Special Features:
- Convenient and great food & serviceChristySVIPDined on 10/17/2013We chose this place because it was right next to our hotel. We were welcomed upon entry and had wonderful and accommodating service the entire time. We had trouble choosing what to order because many things looked good. Sushi was fresh and tasty. Teriyaki salmon, steak and scallop cubes, and chicken fingers were all very good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great flavors in modern decorTheDesignStylistVIPDined on 10/5/2013Recently ate here for a business trip and enjoyed the food selections (both Chinese and Japanese menus) that had a lot of delicious flavors. Inventive drink menu offered fun cocktails to go with sushi dinner. Food was fresh, served quickly and beautifully presented. Wasn't very busy yet as the restaurant had just opened week or two before. Hoping to revisit on my next trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.