Roka Akor - San Francisco
801 Montgomery Street
San Francisco, CA 94133Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
JapanesePrice: $31 to $50
Roka Akor - San Francisco
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.rokaakor.com/locations/san-francisco/
- Phone: (415) 362-8887x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: M-F 11:00am-2:30pm
Dinner: Su-Th 5:00pm-10:00pm
Dinner: F-Sa 5:00pm-11:00pm
Happy Hour 7 days a week.
In Roka Bar 4:30pm-6:30pm daily
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Steakhouse, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Roman Petry
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Occasional DJ performance in Roka Bar
- Special Events: Join us for $1.00 Oysters in Roka Bar every Sunday
Happy Hour daily from 4:30pm-6:30pm and again at 9:30pm to close.
A word from Roka Akor - San Francisco
ROKA AKOR San Francisco is an exciting new addition to the vibrant luxury dining scene, a stylish prime steak, seafood and sushi restaurant that specializes in Robata "open charcoal" cuisine. Located in the heart of Jackson Square, the restaurant features a main dining room area anchored by an open-flame Robata grill, and an underground ROKA BAR, which serves handcrafted cocktails, whiskey, super-premium sake, house-infused shochu and an extensive wine list. ROKA AKOR’s menu features prime cuts of steaks, seafood, and vegetables with unique Japanese-inspired marinades and sauces, along with sushi, sashimi, tempura, and extraordinary desserts. ROKA AKOR is committed to locally sourcing as many ingredients as possible. The menu will change regularly to reflect seasonal offerings.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerJapanese
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Roka Akor - San Francisco - Best Restaurants in Financial District / Embarcadero ›
Roka Akor - San Francisco reviews from OpenTable diners
177 reviews since May 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (116)special occasion (97)good for groups (71)hot spot (65)vibrant bar scene (47)romantic (44)neighborhood gem (40)great for lunch (32)notable wine list (26)late-night find (13)great for brunch (6)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- fantastic as always1bartenderVIPDined on 8/28/2014this is my favorite restaurant in sf. food is always he best, atmosphere is fabulous, staff are very wonderful, drinks, wine/champagne list is great. love this place and will be back soon.tSpecial Features:
- Outstanding Japanese RestaurantScottVIPDined on 8/27/2014Delicious Food served in beautiful way in a very attractive restaurant. One of the best restaurants in SF. Many Japanese dishes (steak, BBQ meats and vegetables) that you don't often find in America. Truly delicious.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/22/2014Food was good -- not inexpensive but high quality. Service was quite bad.
- Definitely splurge-worthyDennyADined on 8/22/2014We don't spring for pricey meals often, but last night my husband and I went for the $128 (per person!) omakase menu--and weren't disappointed one bit. Everything, from the menu choices to the prep and presentation, was top notch. My husband doesn't normally like sea urchin, but the way it was served here -- with a squeeze of lime on top of (pork?) crisps -- he couldn't get enough. The sashimi platter was divine, as was the perfectly grilled wagyu beef, accompanied by corn on the cob quarters grilled in a buttery soy sauce. The dessert platter was over the top -- seriously, enough for four people. And these are just the highlights--no room here for a complete accounting. Ask for a corner table to minimize noise, and definitely go.Special Features:
- Surprisingly SatisfiedjaygatsbyDined on 8/21/2014I though this place was going to be just all about the ambience, but boy was I surprised. The fish was fresh, Uni was super fresh and some of the best I've tasted in awhile. The rib eye was cooked rare to perfection. I can only say that the mushroom rice could've been better - it was overpowered by the ginger and you couldn't taste the mushroom or truffle. Other than that, the dining experience was fantastic. I'd definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place but terrible acousticsSmartyartblastVIPDined on 8/19/2014We had the tasting menu. It was very good and worth the splurge. But unfortunately the restaurant has concrete floors and hard surfaces everywhere which translates to deafening noise.Special Features:
- Great experiencecarlotinaDined on 8/16/2014Amazing food, spectacular service. Will come back again and again.Special Features:
- Great experienceFoodieVIPDined on 8/11/2014Have been here a half dozen times and the food is just superbly prepared with a wide variety of options from sushi to grilled dishes from a Kobata grille. We had a party of 8 so we had the luxury of choosing a variety of dishes to be shared in a communal setting. Dishes to try include skirt steak, tuna roll, short ribs and definitely the sea bass wrapped in a Leaf. Jury still out on the Madagasgar shrimp and Japenese hot pot rice.Special Features:
- Excellent place!LuvsushiDined on 8/7/2014Liked everything we ordered. 2 rolls in particular we would order each time we come here: hamachi with Serrano chili and salmon avocado! We sat at the bar so got to watch the chefs make the sushi--true art form! The wait staff were friendly and helpful as well. Great job everyone!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SusanMacDined on 8/4/2014We had a 5:30PM reservation on a Monday so it was relatively quiet through most of our meal, but by 7:30 the place was hopping. Excellent and friendly service. We ordered the Omikase for 2. Our waiter was very knowledgable about the menu and wine pairings. We've been to the Scottsdale and London restaurants and found this one similar to London with the bar downstairs. We will definitely go back!Special Features:
- Good overallMollyVIPDined on 8/4/2014We had a wonderful lunch, the food was good, our server Jesse was attentive, very cordial and polite. However on the expensive sideSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/31/2014The food was excellent and the portions surprisingly generous. The lunch combinations are a particularly good deal. Service was geat. Only small complaint - the back cod miso skewers were a little sweet and texture was a bit soft for my taste. I will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Excellent service!SamanSimVIPDined on 7/28/2014One of the highly recommended restaurant for great menu, delicious foods, friendly and attentive servers. Overall service was outstanding and very accommodating. Will definitely come back with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible serviceWlamirVIPDined on 7/26/2014Terrible service. Horrible ! Stayed more than 15 minutes without anyone coming to the table. Service is not compatible with the food and placê.
- Totally worth it!ShalynVIPDined on 7/22/2014Absolutely great experience. We came in only for happy hour but had 5 of the happy hour appetizers and each delicious! Thanks so much. We will be back.Special Features:
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/21/2014Went out with family to celebrate our daughters 10th year birthday. Shared different sushi appetizers and entrees. Everything tasted great and was delicatly presented. Would definitely recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot!LetsKWDined on 7/19/2014Great restaurant for all lovers of Japanese cuisine. Killer hot and cold apps. Special props to beef tataki with shaved black truffle and truffle jus. Hot apps were all standouts. Sushi both rolls and nigiri hold their own. Steaks also stood out especially sirloin strip served with bone marrow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first time, exceptional visitFoodiesf65VIPDined on 7/10/2014This is possibly the best all around higher end japanese dining experience in the City of San Francisco. From the impeccable service to the exceptional course, one after another, we loved our dinner at Roka Akor. Everything was excellent.
- Excellent Food SelectionMedsReviewsFoodDined on 7/5/2014We ordered the Crispy Fried Calamari, Soft Shell crab roll with Kim Chee, Crispy Fried Brussel Sprouts, Prime Filet and Madagascar Tiger Prawn and Chocolate lava cake for dessert. everything was EXCELLENT.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved!!!!ndg40Dined on 7/1/2014Loved this place. Can't wait to go back ... Food was amazing. The service was impeccable. Pricey so more of special night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I don't know what this box is for.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/1/2014Interesting food well prepared but on my visit the service was poor. It took 10 minutes for our waitress to come to our table and the servers were not well versed on the contents and preparation of the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OKSDA1VIPDined on 6/26/2014We dined here on a recent vacation. The noise level is so loud that you can't hear the person across the table. Sushi was very good. Dinners and vegetable dishes were well prepared but very rich. I ordered a cocktail that didn't arrive until we had finished our meal. Staff was friendly. Given all the amazing restaurants in SF, I wouldn't return to this one.Special Features:
- Front staff has PROBLEMSakorfailDined on 6/21/2014Standed in the front for over 30 mins, even though we were early for our reservation. Front staff needs more training in hospitality. They obviously could care less and it shows.
- Best sushiAmyPDined on 6/21/2014Such good sushi and deep sake menu; attentive wait staff, although they tended to clear the dishes rather fast. Comfortable large seats. Other tables that apparently ordered greater quantities of sushi were served centerpiece arrangements of sushi that looked like artwork. Wish we had had a better explanation from our server as to how to order so as to receive the nice centerpiece rather than the standard sushi board. Also, all of the waiters, bus people and sommelier were male and all of the people in the kitchen were male on the night we attended. Besides the female hostesses, does this place employ women?Special Features:
- Awesome Dinner!SFDINKSDined on 6/20/2014We took some clients to dinner on Saturday. It was my 4th trip back and it was just as outstanding as it was the first, second and third time I went there. The presentation of the food, the excitement of seeing the chefs in action was unique and special. It was a great night. My clients loved it! The price point and the fact that we order so much food every time we go makes this more a special occasion place for us. The lounge/bar on the lower level was amazing and it was the first time I ever stopped there. I could see myself going there on a more regular basis for a smaller dinner and drinks. The lighting downstairs is darker and more loungey. The music was a cool mix of current and throw back 90's which we loved.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impressive presentation!Reservation4oneVIPDined on 6/19/2014Business lunch. Nice environment. Good lunch menu. Impressive presentation. Too bad they forgot one of our orders but everything else was fine.Special Features:
- Great food again. Worst servicejal3137VIPDined on 6/17/2014I just ate at Roka Akor for the 3rd time. The food continues to be really great, and I love the atmosphere. This was the first time the service was horrific. Each of the other time it was exactly the opposite - amazing. But I'll still go again, and would recommend it. Very full menu with almost too many choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- costMastroDined on 6/16/2014It is pretty expensive. Cut rolls are like $12.5 to $13. Spicy Tuna was not at all spicy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love2eatDined on 6/15/2014Everything exceeded the standard. Details make a big difference. Their focus on details has not gone unnoticed. A very satisfied experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Justd2ofUsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/15/2014Foods are fantastic and good for special occasion, service are excellent and on time,highly recommended :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceAaronA510Dined on 6/14/2014Food and service were impeccable. Both the wagyu kimchi gyoza and the scallops were some of the best I have had. The steak was melt in your mouth good, seasoned and cooked perfectly. Our server was great, she was attentive without being intrusive. All of her recommendations were spot on. Everyone who ran food to the table was knowledgeable and explained the main component of the dish, the sauce, and garnish.Special Features:
- Wonderful experience!KgmomtomDined on 6/13/2014Love the fusion experience! It was perfect for all palates as it included steak and seafood all infused with the Japanese vibe. We came for the Dina About Town and it was worth every penny! Delicious menu and lovely flavors that excite your senses! Will definitely return again. The Miso Marinated black cod was grilled to perfection and the Prime Beef Filet steak melts in your mouth. Then they topped it off with the best panna cotta I've ever had and rich delicious chocolate tart, yummy! I'm still drooling!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed visit and salty foodsSF280VIPDined on 6/13/2014We visited during Dine About Town Week for lunch. Only thing we liked was beets salad. Chirashi sushi was SO TINY (even to me I am a small Asian woman), there were very little portion and very little cube size sashimi and there was a bone on one of fish and they tasted not so fresh. My husband rib was a bit dry. Miso soup was a bit salty and, we liked how their texture was but brussels sprouts were drenched in a VERY SALTY. Our waiter was nice but the food runners were no near fine establishment level. They just put down foods anywhere on the table and she squeezed a rice plate in front of my husband and by moving other dishes with a rice plate , which caused rice to get stuck to other plates. Decor was nice but very disappointed.Special Features:
- Awesome on all frontsSarahkambDined on 6/12/2014The food was classic but taken up a notch or eight. Attentive, efficient service with personality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- did I go to the wrong restaurant?NeverAgainDined on 6/11/2014Seating - the "text"my phone part doesn't work. Server, she gave us a fork, spoon, and knife after I ordered dessert. Why in the world would I need all that silverware for Panna cotta? She took forever with our main course, but yet got the rib eye to come out as my other guest's appetizer, when I asked for it after. Didn't get our other appetizer that we did want first cause "something happened." Couldn't find her every time something was wrong, but seemed to appear when her coworkers were irritated that we bothered them than her. I'm needy, so what, find another job and be better at it. I was nice to her the whole time, but she did nothing to ensure that nothing else was wrong after each mistake whether it was her or the kitchen. Absurd.Special Features:
- DisappointedStephbubbleDined on 6/11/2014I started with an unwelcome impression so I didn't enjoy my lunch. When I arrived, the host checked me in with a long face and said they ONLY have bar table available and asked if I mind. There are 1/4 empty tables on the floor. I said ok becoz I have a meeting afterward so don't want to wait for a "table". When I sat down for 10 mins, no server came and offered me a drink. FINE. I finally called someone to take my order. At the meanwhile, there are probably 5-6 parties after me, and they all sat at the TABLES. Maybe those guests do mind to sit at bar and thus the host honored them a table. However, if tables are available, I have no idea why the host didn't offer that to me. I will not recommend Roka to my fds because of the service.Special Features:
- AylaVIPDined on 6/9/2014The food here is amazing, but the service here is awful. Everything I've had here has been perfectly prepared. However, the service is curt. I had made a reservation and 45 min - 1 hour later is when we were seated (my reservation was at 8:45 so we were seated around 9:45). While I wasn't too happy about the waiting, I could understand. What bothers me though is that they said "we will take care of you," which did not happen in any shape or form. The service was the same as it was the first time I came here: cursory and a bit snooty. I love the food but do not say something you have zero intention on following through on and do not mean. I would rather you say sorry or thank you for waiting but do not tell me lies. That is just plain rude.Special Features:
- Management should know betterHazelDined on 6/9/2014Eel sashimi was delicious; Butterfish Tataki succulent. Robata beef actually did melt in your mouth, with delicious counterpoint in the accompanying garlic-chili sauce. But the tart of the Valrhona Chocolate Tart was bone dry and inedible, and the raspberry jam overpowered the chocolate -- something I didn't think possible. Worse, when I arrived the host kept PRESSURING me to sit at the bar, despite the fact that I'd reserved a table and told him I preferred the table. (I have an injury.) And I have NEVER been rushed through a meal so fast. To seat me 15 minutes late, bring each course the *second* the last was cleared, and have me out the door in 40 minutes top-to-bottom does not encourage me to recommend the restaurant or return. Ever.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/9/2014Must try their steak! It's one of the best thing I have had since I've been to Japan. You don't even need the spicy sauce!! The price is pretty high for the amount of food you get though...Special Features:
- Service killed it, sadlyAnnePDined on 6/9/2014The food at Roka is nice, although not amazing considering the price; the set lunch is a great deal and should be a reason for me to return again and again, as I work in the area. Sadly, the unbelievably slow hostess and slow-then-rushing-us service really killed the meal for my family, and I don't think I'll be back unless I'm out of other, better options. The servers were perfectly nice and nothing went horribly wrong, but who has over 1.5 hours to spend on a set lunch they then feel rushed through at the halfway point?Special Features: