Roka Akor - San Francisco
801 Montgomery Street
San Francisco, CA 94133Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
JapanesePrice: $31 to $50
Roka Akor - San Francisco
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.rokaakor.com/locations/san-francisco/
- Phone: 4153628887
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: M-F 11:30am-2:30pm
Dinner: Su-Th 5:30pm-10:00pm
Dinner: F-Sa 5:30pm-11:00pm
Happy Hour 7 days a week.
In Roka Bar 4:30pm-6:30pm daily
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Steakhouse, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Roman Petry
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Occasional DJ performance in Roka Bar
- Special Events: Join us for $1.00 Oysters in Roka Bar every Sunday
Happy Hour daily from 4:30pm-6:30pm and again at 9:30pm to close.
A word from Roka Akor - San Francisco
ROKA AKOR San Francisco is an exciting new addition to the vibrant luxury dining scene, a stylish prime steak, seafood and sushi restaurant that specializes in Robata "open charcoal" cuisine. Located in the heart of Jackson Square, the restaurant features a main dining room area anchored by an open-flame Robata grill, and an underground ROKA BAR, which serves handcrafted cocktails, whiskey, super-premium sake, house-infused shochu and an extensive wine list. ROKA AKOR’s menu features prime cuts of steaks, seafood, and vegetables with unique Japanese-inspired marinades and sauces, along with sushi, sashimi, tempura, and extraordinary desserts. ROKA AKOR is committed to locally sourcing as many ingredients as possible. The menu will change regularly to reflect seasonal offerings.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerJapanese
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Roka Akor - San Francisco - Best Restaurants in Financial District / Embarcadero ›
Roka Akor - San Francisco reviews from OpenTable diners
132 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (84)special occasion (71)hot spot (57)good for groups (54)romantic (34)neighborhood gem (32)vibrant bar scene (24)great for lunch (19)notable wine list (14)late-night find (7)kid-friendly (4)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Just blown away!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/21/2014We got there exactly at 7:45 for our reservation and was seated immediately (this was a Tuesday night, mind you). So, good start. We were seated in a corner that seemed a little further away from the action of the kitchen, but it ended up being quite intimate. The service was very attentive and personable. We ordered the Omakase for two and decided to put our blind faith in the chef. EVERYTHING WAS AMAZING It was wonderful. Omakase is the way to go for your first time.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/21/2014The food was excellent. The only drawbacks were the decor, which is best described as upscale cafeteria, and our server's miscue of having our main courses arrive while we were still eating our appetizers. I sent the mains back. They got the message and slowed the pace. My only guess is that our server actually thought he was in a cafeteria, so he was adopting an appropriate pace.I would recommend this to a friend.
- everything was awesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/21/2014We (table of 3) had an early dinner this week at Roka Akor. The service and food were impeccable - we ordered various nigiri, rolls, cold appetizers and hot food plus the 'sabayon' for dessert. Everything was beautifully prepared and tasted wonderful. The sabayon was out of this world good - not used to good desserts at Japanese restaurants!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousNot21Dined on 10/12/2014Saki is King here and the wait staff is thoroughly educated on all aspects of this refreshing drink. I believe there were 4-pages to choose from! I have never seen food presented in this way. Breathtaking. The quality; unparalleled and combinations were a fabulous, international collaboration. The bar is a must see and has it's own level. The lighting is romantic, the bar itself, made of an enormous redwood trunk, intimate areas with lounge seating and low "coffee" tables. The bar also serves a full menu. An amazing place to return for a variety of occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great artistic foodmikeyclimbDined on 10/2/2014we sat at the bar restaurant is modern, sleek ad a bit noisy. food was wonderful in it's artistic presentation and super freshness each ingredient easily came thru sake was a bit bland and overpriced probably should follow the Asian lead and drink tea or beer we have already made reservations to return on our next trip to SF this is a "can't miss"Special Features:
- Best food in the cityOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/29/2014I love this place!! My new go-to restaurant in San FranciscoSpecial Features:
- Fabulous experienceEricINnaplesDined on 9/25/2014The ambiance was wonderful, but the food and service were the stars. One of the best restaurants I have experienced.Special Features:
- DisappointedVIPDined on 9/23/2014Indifferent service ethic, slow food delivery, loud and unaccommodating in every way. Some types of awfulness defy description. Suffice to say they really don't care about you. Avoid.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/20/2014Loved my meal, ambiance was excellent and fantastic service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FRESH FISH!!OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 9/20/2014We are purists - fish was amazing... Sake list was great, and server suggested a sake that was absolutely amazing. and we are picky!!Special Features:
- ExtravagantDrewPaikVIPDined on 9/18/2014I'd say that there's not much to complain about Roka other than the prices. The food is decent, but not extraordinary. The decor and service are very nice, but you definitely end up paying for it. A word for for the wise: portions are difficult to predict, so it's very easy to over-order, making an expensive meal even more so.Special Features:
- Amazing for lunch/dinner/drinks!!!JRthewinoVIPDined on 9/15/2014What a find! The bar and lounge is amazingly intimate with an awesome vibe and great cocktails. The food is just spot on and the staff is amazingly hospitable. I loved the chateau pegau Syrah. What a steal! I met the GM, Leilani, a few times now...ask for her and she will quickly make friends and be sure you have a great experience. So lucky to have found this place. I'll continue to be there constantly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Sushi/Sashimi!blovesfoodDined on 9/13/2014This was our first time at Roka Akor. We ordered a selection of sushi rolls and sashimi - the tuna was the best! First time I tried sea urchin, and it was exquisite! The Japanese beef is amazing and melts in your mouth - worth the price. Black cod was very flavorful and highly recommended. We ordered too much food for the table, but everything was delicious. My husband also enjoyed the Saketini (gin and sake). The prices are reasonable and the service was very attentive. The place is a little bit on the noisy side, but didn't bother us too much as we had a window seat and was away from other tables.Special Features:
- Interesting...oncekimax2Dined on 9/12/2014Eclectic sushi and unique grill, efficient service tilting towards promoting items possibly not worth having, particularly at the price.
- Always a hitLLSSVIPDined on 9/4/2014Really enjoyed our time here. We even bought our 6 week old baby and we were given an extra chair to put her car seat on. Of course, we were ready to hop out if baby started crying, but she never did. The restaurant has a wide open dining room and little textile, so it gets a bit loud during dinner. But that was perfect to blend the little noises our baby made.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JokeJokeDined on 9/1/2014Service was amazing. Imagine the worst service....And epic prices. Enjoy.
- Does not disappointkaffeinadiktDined on 8/31/2014We had an amazing meal at Roka SF, or food experience, as my husband calls it. From the moment we walked in the door, service was top notch. We enjoy sushi so try a variety of items from the menu but if someone was not a sushi fan, there are many wonderful items to choose from. We actually first discovered Roka in Chicago when looking for a nontraditional steak house. It was a fantastic meal there so we knew we had to go when travelling in SF. Once again, roka did not let us down and was a wonderful evening. Our faves: butterfish tataki, wagyu and kimchi dumplings, sweet corn Also delicious: beef tataki, pork belly, chef's choice sashimi, and the steaks were cooked to a perfect med-rare. Make your reservation now!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New ExperienceJinnieDined on 8/30/2014Our friend recommended trying this restaurant. Upon arriving we were greeted immediately, she was very kind. About 5 minutes later we were seated by the window. He had the view of the window and I had the view of the open kitchen. I enjoyed everything very much, but he had a hard time having to turn around to see what I was talking about. The food was good, but I wouldn't say it is unique. We were a little disappointed with the Toro since it had a thick strip of muscle right through the middle. The scallop with Truffle was my favorite and recommendation. The steak was hard on the outside so I cut mine and ate the inside which was fabulous. The chocolate cake with ice cream was perfect!Special Features:
- Amazing steak and seafood!SmileVIPDined on 8/30/2014We were blown away by the food at Roka. Each item we ordered was so super delicious. We started with the toro tartar, wagyu tartar, scallop with truffle, and sea urchin cold appetizers. We had the wagyu flat iron steak and the prime ribeye. The quality of the beef was one of the best in the city and they cooked it to a perfect medium rare. Can't wait to go back and try some of their other dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wagyu WonderlandGodotDined on 8/29/2014Get the Omakase and share it with a special person. Avoid the "isle of despair" mixed drink.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exciting FoodParadiseVIPDined on 8/29/2014All i can say is WOW! The group wanted sushi so i took a shot at this place it is amazing. Fresh fish prepared as you never have had it before and all the wonderful flavors you can imagine and some you can't.....
- fantastic as always1bartenderVIPDined on 8/28/2014this is my favorite restaurant in sf. food is always he best, atmosphere is fabulous, staff are very wonderful, drinks, wine/champagne list is great. love this place and will be back soon.tSpecial Features:
- Outstanding Japanese RestaurantScottVIPDined on 8/27/2014Delicious Food served in beautiful way in a very attractive restaurant. One of the best restaurants in SF. Many Japanese dishes (steak, BBQ meats and vegetables) that you don't often find in America. Truly delicious.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/22/2014Food was good -- not inexpensive but high quality. Service was quite bad.
- Definitely splurge-worthyDennyADined on 8/22/2014We don't spring for pricey meals often, but last night my husband and I went for the $128 (per person!) omakase menu--and weren't disappointed one bit. Everything, from the menu choices to the prep and presentation, was top notch. My husband doesn't normally like sea urchin, but the way it was served here -- with a squeeze of lime on top of (pork?) crisps -- he couldn't get enough. The sashimi platter was divine, as was the perfectly grilled wagyu beef, accompanied by corn on the cob quarters grilled in a buttery soy sauce. The dessert platter was over the top -- seriously, enough for four people. And these are just the highlights--no room here for a complete accounting. Ask for a corner table to minimize noise, and definitely go.Special Features:
- Surprisingly SatisfiedjaygatsbyDined on 8/21/2014I though this place was going to be just all about the ambience, but boy was I surprised. The fish was fresh, Uni was super fresh and some of the best I've tasted in awhile. The rib eye was cooked rare to perfection. I can only say that the mushroom rice could've been better - it was overpowered by the ginger and you couldn't taste the mushroom or truffle. Other than that, the dining experience was fantastic. I'd definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place but terrible acousticsSmartyartblastVIPDined on 8/19/2014We had the tasting menu. It was very good and worth the splurge. But unfortunately the restaurant has concrete floors and hard surfaces everywhere which translates to deafening noise.Special Features:
- Great experiencecarlotinaDined on 8/16/2014Amazing food, spectacular service. Will come back again and again.Special Features:
- Great experienceFoodieVIPDined on 8/11/2014Have been here a half dozen times and the food is just superbly prepared with a wide variety of options from sushi to grilled dishes from a Kobata grille. We had a party of 8 so we had the luxury of choosing a variety of dishes to be shared in a communal setting. Dishes to try include skirt steak, tuna roll, short ribs and definitely the sea bass wrapped in a Leaf. Jury still out on the Madagasgar shrimp and Japenese hot pot rice.Special Features:
- Excellent place!LuvsushiDined on 8/7/2014Liked everything we ordered. 2 rolls in particular we would order each time we come here: hamachi with Serrano chili and salmon avocado! We sat at the bar so got to watch the chefs make the sushi--true art form! The wait staff were friendly and helpful as well. Great job everyone!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good overallMollyVIPDined on 8/4/2014We had a wonderful lunch, the food was good, our server Jesse was attentive, very cordial and polite. However on the expensive sideSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/31/2014The food was excellent and the portions surprisingly generous. The lunch combinations are a particularly good deal. Service was geat. Only small complaint - the back cod miso skewers were a little sweet and texture was a bit soft for my taste. I will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Excellent service!SamanSimVIPDined on 7/28/2014One of the highly recommended restaurant for great menu, delicious foods, friendly and attentive servers. Overall service was outstanding and very accommodating. Will definitely come back with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible serviceWlamirVIPDined on 7/26/2014Terrible service. Horrible ! Stayed more than 15 minutes without anyone coming to the table. Service is not compatible with the food and placê.
- Totally worth it!ShalynVIPDined on 7/22/2014Absolutely great experience. We came in only for happy hour but had 5 of the happy hour appetizers and each delicious! Thanks so much. We will be back.Special Features:
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/21/2014Went out with family to celebrate our daughters 10th year birthday. Shared different sushi appetizers and entrees. Everything tasted great and was delicatly presented. Would definitely recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot!LetsKWDined on 7/19/2014Great restaurant for all lovers of Japanese cuisine. Killer hot and cold apps. Special props to beef tataki with shaved black truffle and truffle jus. Hot apps were all standouts. Sushi both rolls and nigiri hold their own. Steaks also stood out especially sirloin strip served with bone marrow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first time, exceptional visitFoodiesf65VIPDined on 7/10/2014This is possibly the best all around higher end japanese dining experience in the City of San Francisco. From the impeccable service to the exceptional course, one after another, we loved our dinner at Roka Akor. Everything was excellent.
- Excellent Food SelectionMedsReviewsFoodDined on 7/5/2014We ordered the Crispy Fried Calamari, Soft Shell crab roll with Kim Chee, Crispy Fried Brussel Sprouts, Prime Filet and Madagascar Tiger Prawn and Chocolate lava cake for dessert. everything was EXCELLENT.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved!!!!ndg40Dined on 7/1/2014Loved this place. Can't wait to go back ... Food was amazing. The service was impeccable. Pricey so more of special night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.