Roka Akor - Old Orchard
4999 Old Orchard Ctr
Skokie, IL 60077Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $31 to $50
Roka Akor - Old Orchard
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.rokaakor.com/locations/old-orchard/
- Phone: 8473297650x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Daily: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Steakhouse, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Boyd Cheong
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, High Tea, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Please Contact our restaurant for menus and pricing.
- Special Events: CELEBRATE EASTER AT Roka Akor Old Orchard On April 20th. We are featuring a special Easter Brunch Menu, along with our a la carte menu. We are opened 12pm-9pm.
A word from Roka Akor - Old Orchard
Roka Akor is premier Steak and Sushi restaurant; featuring Prime Steaks, Seafood,and local produce grilled to perfection over an open flame on a traditional, Japanese Robata Grill. Additionally, Bon Appetit Magazine recognized Roka Akor as one of the "Top 10 Sushi Spots" in the U.S., praising the restaurant for our beautifully prepared sushi and sashimi platters. The adjacent Roka Bar features house made, seasonal shochu infusions and signature cocktails in contemporary, relaxed surroundings.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Roka Akor - Old Orchard reviews from OpenTable diners
80 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (42)special occasion (34)good for groups (18)neighborhood gem (18)great for outdoor dining (17)hot spot (14)great for lunch (13)romantic (13)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (4)notable wine list (4)great for brunch (3)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- elegant, classy, good food/serviceluv2dineDined on 9/20/2014when we were seated, the waiter was very informative about the menu, and very friendly. the food was prepared very well, with appealing plate decoration. very simple yet stunning. overall, a great experience.Special Features:
- Amazing time!DaveVIPDined on 9/19/2014We could not have had a better experience. The menu is fantastic and the service was amazing. Thank you guys for everything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunch!SuebftDined on 9/18/2014Enjoyed lunch with my friend so much, I got carry out for my family!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasting Menu...not too tastyOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 9/8/2014We ordered the tasting menu at $98 a person. The presentation was beautiful, but many of the flavors were blah....skip the tasting menu and go for the sushi, which is excellent.
- Great Experience!Foodie1Dined on 9/6/2014Are you a foodie? Then Roka Akor is what you are looking for to honor the art of cooking and the taste of great food. Executive Chef Boyd Cheong is a maestro directing his orchestra of cooks as they create music for the mouth. In addition to the high quality food creations, it is a pleasure watching the chef run his kitchen. He is the Thomas Keller of Robata Japanese cuisine. When each dish arrives at your table, you'll want to admire it rather than eat it, but as you place the food upon your palette, it becomes manna of the cooking gods transporting your taste buds to a heavenly place. No need to travel downtown to eat great food. Do yourself a huge favor and go to Roka Akor in the northern suburbs to find your foodie paradise.Special Features:
- Good service and ambienceWanchenDined on 9/5/2014We went for anniversary and it was very nice. The food was a little too salty because we eat light. The service was very good though. Wish we had a booth instead of a table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MikeVIPDined on 9/5/2014First time visit, nice but pricey, not sure we would go back unless special occasionSpecial Features:
- Wonderful birthday lunchChitownladyVIPDined on 9/2/2014We had a wonderful time at lunch yesterday. We got to sit outside, enjoy the lovely weather. The food and service were exceptional. We had delicious unusual drinks, great food and our server cared and was perfectly attentive and helpful. We couldn't have asked for more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodFoodie4lifeDined on 8/30/2014The food here is consistently great. It has a nice ambience with friendly, attentive staff. The grilling area is visible which makes it more interesting. My husband and I have only eaten the cooked foods which have all been delicious. The rock shrimp is a must- try to start with. I love the salmon as well as the black cod. My husband has eaten a few different red meat options that he has loved. The cocktails are also delicious. This is a good date night or girls night locale. Being in Old Orchard also makes it a good location to go shopping afterward ;)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good but not greatsandyDined on 8/30/2014and the reason it is not great is because the sushi fish is only mediocre, not full flavored. I ordered the 4 tuna sushi roll and tasted nothing but rice although I could see the tuna inside and outside. I had to cover it with ginger for flavor. This is my second visit and I had the same complaint before. My dinner companions had sea bass and salmon, both cooked, and loved their entrees so perhaps that is the best option.Special Features:
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/27/2014Really love the food. The atmosphere of the restaurant is great too. Normally I wouldn't be so hot on going to a restaurant in a mall location but I make an exception for this one.Special Features:
- Relaxed Dining experienceCarpedinnerDined on 8/24/2014We took the parents of the groom to dinner after a stormy Saturday affair. Sunday evening was a dinning experience. Relaxed atmosphere, excellent help with the menu from Brian. His recommendations were perfect and the relaxed manner was just what was needed to finish the weekend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodieDined on 8/12/2014We loved the food, the wine, the wait staff all in all it was a perfect evening.Special Features:
- Delicious!SteakloverDined on 8/12/2014Food is very good, though a bit pricey. The lamb "cutlets" were a complete surprise- they turned out to be beautiful thick, frenched rib chops, much better than I had anticipated. The accompanying side fell flat. Beef and kimchi dumplings were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice!Food4uDined on 8/6/2014Some of the best sushi I have had! So fresh, well prepared and very nicely served.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/4/2014Food was average. Portions were very small. Service was great. I could think of a hundred other places I'll dine at before coming back here.
- EXCELLENT!the2ofusDined on 7/28/2014Good food, good service, convenient location--will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anondinerDined on 7/26/2014The food lived up to expectations and was very good. The Butterfish Tataki and the Glazed Pork Ribs particularly stood out. Unfortunately the whole dining experience was marred by the features of the location: the inside seating is ruined by a very strong and unpleasant smokey smell from the grill and the outside seating was far from ideal due to insects on a summer evening.
- Fantastic FoodsashimiheadDined on 7/25/2014Ate there Friday night, on the outdoor patio was beautiful.'Service was great adn food very very fresh (I had the tuna tour - 3 differnt kinds of tuna with chef recommended fresh grated salt). My wife had the mushroom risoto and it is served in a hot cook pot it was awesome. Recommend it highly. And i love it it not a large chain resturant, the only other one is in London.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved this spot!BecktrinDined on 7/23/2014The selection was so varied and all delicious ! Our waiter was the BEST and treated us a if we were his only customers! Our entire party eves about it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not A Great ValuejackiesDined on 7/18/2014Food was good but portions were very small with a pretty high price tag. Presentation was a little over-the-top. Not exactly the kind of place you just drop by in this suburban shopping mall. Service was very attentive.Special Features:
- Nice Place for agood food.ZS0508Dined on 7/17/2014Everything was delicious. The rolls were smooth, the soup was great, and the veggies were yummy. Would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food Bland Atmosphered8nvnDined on 7/5/2014Fine dining in a shopping mall? Roka Old Orchard does offer the same great food as the downtown location minus the atmosphere. However bar area is nothing more than a nod to the idea that you might want to have a drink and relax with friends before sitting down to dinner. The dining room is cramped and did smell a bit musty. Overall if you are spending for a dinning experience then you should pass on the Old Orchard location and head into the city.
- Not what I expectedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/28/2014Nothing like the Scottsdale location. The ambiance was lacking compared to the one in Scottsdale. The bar seemed like an after thought. Better restaurants in Chicago land for the money. The ambiance doesn't match the price point.
- Great Foodfoodie2Dined on 6/19/2014The food was outstanding, the service flawless, the food came to the table very quickly, we liked that. We were on the closed porch and it was wonderful until a group of 10 young women came, they should never sit such a large group in that small space, all at once the noise level was unacceptable and we had to scream at each other to hear. The manager offer to change our table, but we were there first. We were told that the porch is typically reserved for tables of 2's. But this group had requested the porch. Oh well....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great date spotFoodieDined on 6/19/2014I went here for my anniversary and The experience was great. The food was delicious so worth the hefty pricetag. I would only come for special occasions though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eat here before they are goneunpaidcritic2Dined on 6/18/2014This is a great concept and the menu is fabulous, the food is good but it does not fit the location and just doesn't feel right. The new location is in a mall across from a parking lot across from a busy road across from a cemetery in a town with medium priced competitors. The mix just doesn't go together. I can't justify spending $100 per person while eating across from The Gap. The downtown location oozes charm and makes you feel the "value".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Food just a lil pricey...jusyDined on 6/7/2014Great place for special occasions! Worth splurging once in a blue moon :)Special Features:
- Great in Old Orchard, of all placessandyDined on 6/7/2014With a spate of newer restaurants, Old Orchard which once only had a food court is now a dining destination. Roka Akor offers a sleek, trendy space with more outside dining than inside seating. Our waiter was terrific at welcoming us, explaining menu items in detail, and making sure we had everything we wanted. One of us ordered scallops with the most amazing Brussels sprouts (I'd go back just for those!) and one ordered sashimi and sushi which were delicious and innovative. We also shared a green tea creme brûlée that redefined the dessert and was simply scrumptious. We ate outside which was quieter than the dining room inside. Will go back for more!!Special Features:
- YummyMarlyDined on 6/7/2014Roka Akor is always delicious! The service is great and overall it's a wonderful experience. We went with our 2 kids and everyone was very accommodating and helpful. The servers are knowledgable and helpful. Will definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale dining spotRonSDined on 6/6/2014Nice place for innovative Asian dishes. Small portions, limited sushi menu but attentive service. Pricy.
- exceptional as always!foodieVIPDined on 6/6/2014We have been here several times and have never been disappointed. The food is fresh, creative and delicious. Our server was top notch! The only down side is the cost. Very expensive which does not allow us to eat here as often as we would like.Special Features:
- The following 150 reviews are from the Roka Akor - Old Orchard reviews archive.
- omakasegianniDined on 5/24/2014Had omakase with a friend. We thoroughly enjoyed the rolling onslaught of delicious seafood, meat, and veggies, both raw and cooked, plus a mountain of dessert at the end. We also had a good waiter who chatted with us and helped us select a good sake to accompany our feast. Considering the price, I'd save the omakase for special occasions.Special Features:
- Great casual diningOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 5/19/2014This is a great option at Old Orchard and in the area. The food was well prepared and the service attentive. We enjoyed the smaller suburban version of this restaurant. Early bird dinner special was delicious and an excellent value.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/14/2014Nice place...bad bites. The presentation was pretty, and the service was great, but if the food is bad, what's the point.
- Love RokaJillVIPDined on 5/9/2014I've been to Roka Akor multiple times. Love it every time. This time I brought my friend for a girl's night out. She loved it. We shared several small plates and were totally satisfied. The bill was far less than we expected considering the quality and quantity of food we enjoyed. Can't wait to return again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/9/2014We have eaten at the Old Orchard location twice now and the food is amazing. The friendly wait staff couldn't be better. Everyone was great and we had multiple people assisting us and they were all knowledgeable and pleasant. We have also eaten once at the Scottsdale location and feel the same way about it. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- May Birthday SpotMSZChicagoDined on 5/4/2014Ate here several times for lunch and dinners...all were excellent! Our waitperson, Jason was great! He knows the food well, has a great personality and all recommendations were perfect--although, have to say that the Prawn dish was a little small for the price and was a tad overcooked--but, the seasonings were good. We always enjoy the uniquely prepared brussel sprouts -- in fact, we had 2 orders of them! Still feel every time we dine there that the Chef is creative in every sense of the word! While pricing is pretty steep at this place it is worth every penny so we usually reserve dining here for special occasions! 11/12/2013 Roka Akor - Old Orchard Favorite 0 Outstanding Outstanding Outstanding OutstandingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent DinnerFox4Dined on 4/27/2014I have absolutely no complaints. The server and service were great, the food hot and delicious, and the food and beverage prices were as expected for a $$$ restaurant. The added bonus was they cut your food before it is served - except for the salmon which would be kind of tricky. My wife said it was her best birthday dinner ever. We are having company from L.A. and intend on taking them to Roka Akor for dinner during the week. It's a winner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food with great presentationBarbaraDined on 4/19/2014The food was so fresh and great tasting. We ordered appetizers, sushi, steak fish and dessert. We loved everything we ordered. The presentation was that of a 5 star restaurant. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.