Roka Akor - Old Orchard
4999 Old Orchard Ctr
Skokie, IL 60077Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $31 to $50
Roka Akor - Old Orchard
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.rokaakor.com/locations/old-orchard/
- Phone: (847) 329-7650
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00AM - 3:30PM
Dinner: Sunday: 3:30PM - 9:30PM
Dinner: Mon-Thurs: 3:30PM - 10:00PM
Dinner Fri-Sat: 3:30PM - 11:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Steakhouse, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Boyd Cheong
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, High Tea, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Please Contact our restaurant for menus and pricing.
- Special Events: CELEBRATE EASTER AT Roka Akor Old Orchard On April 20th. We are featuring a special Easter Brunch Menu, along with our a la carte menu. We are opened 12pm-9pm.
A word from Roka Akor - Old Orchard
Roka Akor is a premier Steak and Sushi restaurant; featuring Prime Steaks, Seafood,and local produce grilled to perfection over an open flame on a traditional, Japanese Robata Grill. Additionally, Bon Appetit Magazine recognized Roka Akor as one of the "Top 10 Sushi Spots" in the U.S., praising the restaurant for our beautifully prepared sushi and sashimi platters. The adjacent Roka Bar features house made, seasonal shochu infusions and signature cocktails in contemporary, relaxed surroundings.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Roka Akor - Old Orchard reviews from OpenTable diners
73 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (41)special occasion (27)good for groups (21)hot spot (16)neighborhood gem (16)great for lunch (12)great for outdoor dining (10)romantic (8)notable wine list (5)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (4)vibrant bar scene (4)great for brunch (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Good food but overpricedGoolawnzDined on 11/17/2014We ate sushi for lunch. The sushi was very good, but nothing outstanding. I thought the price for lunch was ridiculous. Way overpriced for what we ordered. Better off spending money elsewhere.
- Really good, not quite greatEvanVIPDined on 11/10/2014Food was very good, though portion sizes seemed a bit small for the price. Having a gluten-free menu would also be helpful.Special Features:
- Fine Food at the MallCriticalEvanstonianVIPDined on 11/1/2014One of the newer group of excellent restaurants at Old Orchard in Skokie. Good food in comfortable surroundings with a pleasant attentive staff add up to a fine dining experience.Special Features:
- Amercian Wagu beef was not worth itDALAVIPDined on 10/24/2014The vegetables were tasty and different. The American Wagu beef was bland and common, nothing special. For $12/oz (minimum 4 oz) I was expecting more. Costco has better steak. Overall we enjoyed the experience. I would recommend dinning here but not wasting your money on the American Wagu beef. Its more kid friendly than the one in Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/18/2014This was my third time at this restaurant. An indoor area was added by enclosing their previous outdoor area. The tables are a little close together and when the ceiling heaters come on it's pretty warm. The service was almost overly attentive. Two different managers came by to check on us NUMEROUS times which actually was annoying Our entrees were not served at the same time. My friend was more than halfway through her entree before my dinner came. The manager came by SEVERAL times to apologize and ended up taking the appetizers off our check--the check that the previously attentive server did not bring until we had to literally flag him down! The highly recommended sea bass was not tasty at all and the dish had an odd odor.
- Very good food- timing a problemFood4uDined on 10/17/2014The sea bass and the Teryaki salmon were absolutely excellent. The timing of the service was POOR! I can understand appetizers coming out at different times,but the main courses were served 5 and then 15 minutes apart. The first diner had finished eating her sea bass before the third diner was served their glazed ribs. The management was very aware and comped desserts, but this is the second time we have eaten there and also the second time we had this problem with the service. We will return because the fish is so great, but we expect the timing to continue to be a problem. Be prepared.Special Features:
- Great additionJkbchicagoVIPDined on 10/16/2014Fantastic sushi, seafood and grill options; great addition to mall restaurantsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Modern JapaneseBrofoodieDined on 10/13/2014We were very pleasantly surprised by the excellent sushi and meat and fish from the grill. Service was attentive but not overbearing or pretentious, as in some of their competitors.Special Features:
- Good food but $$$$$$$$$$$CheffmichaelDined on 10/13/2014First time here. I did enjoy myself quite a bit but its very expensive. Great apps and fresh sushi. Toro was way to chewy and they took it off the bill. Rice hot pot was awesome!!!!!! Will go back for ramen lunch specialSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Keep a close eye on the drink billWildeatsVIPDined on 10/9/2014Drinks for 2 people, over $150. Dinner was $100/piece. If we had anticipated that kind of spend, we would have celebrated it on our anniversary, not just a Thursday night out. Interesting and different, once in a blue moon place.Special Features:
- Outstanding Group ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/8/2014Brought a group of 6 for business celebration. We chose to let the chef set our menu for the evening. What flowed from there was one of the most amazing dining experiences I have had. The presentation of each course was spectacular. It was like a unique piece of art with each round of food. The quality of the food was top notch, so no matter your tastes, this was excellent food. Service team was great and made us feel special. The chef brought his team out at the end to greet us, which was a great touch. Be prepared to pay top dollar for this particular experience, but it was worth every penny. Can't wait to take my wife there for a more intimate date night experience.Special Features:
- elegant, classy, good food/serviceluv2dineDined on 9/20/2014when we were seated, the waiter was very informative about the menu, and very friendly. the food was prepared very well, with appealing plate decoration. very simple yet stunning. overall, a great experience.Special Features:
- Amazing time!DaveVIPDined on 9/19/2014We could not have had a better experience. The menu is fantastic and the service was amazing. Thank you guys for everything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunch!SuebftDined on 9/18/2014Enjoyed lunch with my friend so much, I got carry out for my family!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasting Menu...not too tastyOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 9/8/2014We ordered the tasting menu at $98 a person. The presentation was beautiful, but many of the flavors were blah....skip the tasting menu and go for the sushi, which is excellent.
- Great Experience!Foodie1Dined on 9/6/2014Are you a foodie? Then Roka Akor is what you are looking for to honor the art of cooking and the taste of great food. Executive Chef Boyd Cheong is a maestro directing his orchestra of cooks as they create music for the mouth. In addition to the high quality food creations, it is a pleasure watching the chef run his kitchen. He is the Thomas Keller of Robata Japanese cuisine. When each dish arrives at your table, you'll want to admire it rather than eat it, but as you place the food upon your palette, it becomes manna of the cooking gods transporting your taste buds to a heavenly place. No need to travel downtown to eat great food. Do yourself a huge favor and go to Roka Akor in the northern suburbs to find your foodie paradise.Special Features:
- Good service and ambienceWanchenDined on 9/5/2014We went for anniversary and it was very nice. The food was a little too salty because we eat light. The service was very good though. Wish we had a booth instead of a table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MikeVIPDined on 9/5/2014First time visit, nice but pricey, not sure we would go back unless special occasionSpecial Features:
- Wonderful birthday lunchChitownladyVIPDined on 9/2/2014We had a wonderful time at lunch yesterday. We got to sit outside, enjoy the lovely weather. The food and service were exceptional. We had delicious unusual drinks, great food and our server cared and was perfectly attentive and helpful. We couldn't have asked for more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodFoodie4lifeDined on 8/30/2014The food here is consistently great. It has a nice ambience with friendly, attentive staff. The grilling area is visible which makes it more interesting. My husband and I have only eaten the cooked foods which have all been delicious. The rock shrimp is a must- try to start with. I love the salmon as well as the black cod. My husband has eaten a few different red meat options that he has loved. The cocktails are also delicious. This is a good date night or girls night locale. Being in Old Orchard also makes it a good location to go shopping afterward ;)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good but not greatsandyDined on 8/30/2014and the reason it is not great is because the sushi fish is only mediocre, not full flavored. I ordered the 4 tuna sushi roll and tasted nothing but rice although I could see the tuna inside and outside. I had to cover it with ginger for flavor. This is my second visit and I had the same complaint before. My dinner companions had sea bass and salmon, both cooked, and loved their entrees so perhaps that is the best option.Special Features:
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/27/2014Really love the food. The atmosphere of the restaurant is great too. Normally I wouldn't be so hot on going to a restaurant in a mall location but I make an exception for this one.Special Features:
- Relaxed Dining experienceCarpedinnerDined on 8/24/2014We took the parents of the groom to dinner after a stormy Saturday affair. Sunday evening was a dinning experience. Relaxed atmosphere, excellent help with the menu from Brian. His recommendations were perfect and the relaxed manner was just what was needed to finish the weekend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodieDined on 8/12/2014We loved the food, the wine, the wait staff all in all it was a perfect evening.Special Features:
- Delicious!SteakloverDined on 8/12/2014Food is very good, though a bit pricey. The lamb "cutlets" were a complete surprise- they turned out to be beautiful thick, frenched rib chops, much better than I had anticipated. The accompanying side fell flat. Beef and kimchi dumplings were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice!Food4uDined on 8/6/2014Some of the best sushi I have had! So fresh, well prepared and very nicely served.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/4/2014Food was average. Portions were very small. Service was great. I could think of a hundred other places I'll dine at before coming back here.
- The following 166 reviews are from the Roka Akor - Old Orchard reviews archive.
- EXCELLENT!the2ofusDined on 7/28/2014Good food, good service, convenient location--will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anondinerDined on 7/26/2014The food lived up to expectations and was very good. The Butterfish Tataki and the Glazed Pork Ribs particularly stood out. Unfortunately the whole dining experience was marred by the features of the location: the inside seating is ruined by a very strong and unpleasant smokey smell from the grill and the outside seating was far from ideal due to insects on a summer evening.
- Fantastic FoodsashimiheadDined on 7/25/2014Ate there Friday night, on the outdoor patio was beautiful.'Service was great adn food very very fresh (I had the tuna tour - 3 differnt kinds of tuna with chef recommended fresh grated salt). My wife had the mushroom risoto and it is served in a hot cook pot it was awesome. Recommend it highly. And i love it it not a large chain resturant, the only other one is in London.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved this spot!BecktrinDined on 7/23/2014The selection was so varied and all delicious ! Our waiter was the BEST and treated us a if we were his only customers! Our entire party eves about it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not A Great ValuejackiesDined on 7/18/2014Food was good but portions were very small with a pretty high price tag. Presentation was a little over-the-top. Not exactly the kind of place you just drop by in this suburban shopping mall. Service was very attentive.Special Features:
- Nice Place for agood food.ZS0508Dined on 7/17/2014Everything was delicious. The rolls were smooth, the soup was great, and the veggies were yummy. Would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food Bland Atmosphered8nvnDined on 7/5/2014Fine dining in a shopping mall? Roka Old Orchard does offer the same great food as the downtown location minus the atmosphere. However bar area is nothing more than a nod to the idea that you might want to have a drink and relax with friends before sitting down to dinner. The dining room is cramped and did smell a bit musty. Overall if you are spending for a dinning experience then you should pass on the Old Orchard location and head into the city.
- Not what I expectedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/28/2014Nothing like the Scottsdale location. The ambiance was lacking compared to the one in Scottsdale. The bar seemed like an after thought. Better restaurants in Chicago land for the money. The ambiance doesn't match the price point.
- Great Foodfoodie2Dined on 6/19/2014The food was outstanding, the service flawless, the food came to the table very quickly, we liked that. We were on the closed porch and it was wonderful until a group of 10 young women came, they should never sit such a large group in that small space, all at once the noise level was unacceptable and we had to scream at each other to hear. The manager offer to change our table, but we were there first. We were told that the porch is typically reserved for tables of 2's. But this group had requested the porch. Oh well....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great date spotFoodieDined on 6/19/2014I went here for my anniversary and The experience was great. The food was delicious so worth the hefty pricetag. I would only come for special occasions though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eat here before they are goneunpaidcritic2Dined on 6/18/2014This is a great concept and the menu is fabulous, the food is good but it does not fit the location and just doesn't feel right. The new location is in a mall across from a parking lot across from a busy road across from a cemetery in a town with medium priced competitors. The mix just doesn't go together. I can't justify spending $100 per person while eating across from The Gap. The downtown location oozes charm and makes you feel the "value".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Food just a lil pricey...jusyDined on 6/7/2014Great place for special occasions! Worth splurging once in a blue moon :)Special Features:
- Great in Old Orchard, of all placessandyDined on 6/7/2014With a spate of newer restaurants, Old Orchard which once only had a food court is now a dining destination. Roka Akor offers a sleek, trendy space with more outside dining than inside seating. Our waiter was terrific at welcoming us, explaining menu items in detail, and making sure we had everything we wanted. One of us ordered scallops with the most amazing Brussels sprouts (I'd go back just for those!) and one ordered sashimi and sushi which were delicious and innovative. We also shared a green tea creme brûlée that redefined the dessert and was simply scrumptious. We ate outside which was quieter than the dining room inside. Will go back for more!!Special Features: