Rok Sushi Kitchen
1200 Hermosa Ave
Hermosa Beach, CA 90254Neighborhood:
Manhattan Beach / Hermosa Beach
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Rok Sushi Kitchen
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.roksushikitchen.com/
- Phone: 3107984765
- Hours of Operation:
Monday through Thursday 4p-11p; Friday & Saturday 4p-1am; Sunday 4p-11pm.
Happy Hour Mon-Fri 4-6pm; Sunday 8:30p-10:30p =discounted beer, sake, sushi, rolls & appetizers
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, American, Japanese
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact Brian at 310-561-9044 to have your next event catered by ROK. We also have delivery available through LA Bite (310)-441-2483
- Private Party Facilities: Come experience our private "VIP" dining room; with a back door entrance, you can come and go without having to battle the crowd. Enjoy a 52" flat screen TV, the ability to control your room's music selection/volume, and the comfort that complete privacy affords.
- Private Party Contact: Tricia Buchanan 3104080759
- Special Events: Book our private dining room for parties up to 15 and/or our mezzanine which seats an additional 45 guests. Enjoy the view into the main dining room through our frameless glass railing and an unobstructed view of our 100 inch projector screen TV.
A word from Rok Sushi Kitchen
Rok Sushi Kitchen: Come experience our fusion of traditional sushi with California kitchen cuisine. Enjoy fresh grilled fish, chicken, shrimp, or our traditional sushi bar featuring fish fresh from the dock. Our unparalleled commitment to service and outstanding food will leave you wanting more. Stay into the night to enjoy our DJ and uniquely delicious cocktails. Visit our second floor VIP lounge offering bottle service; sit back and enjoy the "high life" while watching the scene below through our frameless glass railing.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Rok Sushi Kitchen - Best Restaurants in Manhattan Beach / Hermosa Beach ›
Rok Sushi Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
36 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (14)neighborhood gem (13)hot spot (13)good for groups (12)special occasion (9)vibrant bar scene (9)late-night find (4)romantic (3)kid-friendly (3)great for brunch (2)notable wine list (1)great for lunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- TimingJCvivlavDined on 10/10/2014Kind and pro waiter but a massive wait - 1 hour from reservation to main order on table. Manager gifted a dish. Expensive & loud. Perhaps best during happy hour.
- Nice StaffDanHVIPDined on 10/9/2014Very polite and courteous staff. Great food and they have some kid items available off the menu(just ask: think chicken tenders and fries)Special Features:
- Added Gratuity for GrouponGrouponDined on 10/1/2014I wasn't aware of this at the beginning of our meal, but Rok n Fish added 18% gratuity to our bill because we used a Groupon from what the waiter said. This was insulting, I typically leave 20% but this time I felt jipped. Since I asked why the 18% gratuity was added, my boyfriend decided to leave a $20 tip. I didn't want him to but he said it's not the server's fault if that is the policy. Also, the menu online wasn't updated. I wanted to be sure I would like what we got before I ordered the groupon. When I got to the restaurant the menu had completely changed. This was super annoying!!!Special Features:
- A bit overpricedFrenchieDined on 9/27/2014So I've been here several times now. This is one of those "hip" sushi joints where you have to pay for EVERYTHING! No edamame brought to your table upon arrival. And the rolls are way overpriced. The portions are large but it's mostly rice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent food with good vibeSunnyJDined on 9/27/2014The food was just ok. Sushi was rather small compared to most of good sushi restaurants' sushi. However, the service was good and the vibe was nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not bad, but not greatJayJayDined on 9/26/2014It was easy to get a reservation, and the service was very good and friendly. This place is a bit on the pricey side for what you get, especially at the bar - you could get a six-pack for what you pay for one beer, but it is a bar-restaurant after all. The food tasted good, especially the black seabass salag (fantastic), but the sushi rolls were poorly constructed and fell apart as we tried to pick them up with chopsticks... and I'm no chopstick rookie. We were there on a Friday night, seated upstairs, and even though it's a bar-restaurant it was really loud in there - not recommended for romantic dining. Would I go back? Sure, if my date wants to go there - but not on my list of "go to" spots.Special Features:
- Great Service, Okay FoodwriterchickyDined on 9/25/2014Went there for my birthday with the family on a Thursday night. Very attentive and friendly service, nice ambiance, so-so food. Not the best sushi around, but will go back nonetheless.Special Features:
- good sushigoodDined on 9/12/2014Actually went with a Groupon code. Ordered the sushi sampler and 3 rolls. I would get the sushi sampler again. The waitress brought us tastes of two different wines to ensure we liked it. My only complaint was the noise level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/16/2014Great food, but the music was WAY TOO LOUD! I couldnt even hear our server speak let alone my date. I walked out of there worried I had lost my voice. I have dined there many times before and have not had the music issue.
- Great Sushi - REALLY Loud!TerriDined on 8/16/2014Our sushi was fresh, well presented, and tasty. My cocktail wasn't the best, but ok. The noise level, however, was crazy. I wish I could read lips . . .Special Features:
- Rok Sushi: A musical experienceBROVDined on 8/15/2014The sushi was phenomenal, the DJ blasting techno was a bit too loud. His vibes were affecting our sunshine. It was very hard to talk and relax in the Rok Sushi club atmosphere of dining with a DJ. Granted, it was 10:30PM on a Friday but the beats were overpowering the enjoyment of just being social and eating sushi. We thought the server was great but it took him around 5 minutes just to greet us.Special Features:
- First Time!NupeSugarRayVIPDined on 8/1/2014We live in North Redondo and have often passed up Rok Sushi, but it's a very good spot for sushi. Compared to a few other places in the South Bay beach area, Rok is overpriced. The food is fantastic though. The service on our night was a bit slow. We ordered our food and the drinks & appetizers came quickly, but our main rolls and dishes didn't come for another 35-40 minutes. The food was still great, our waitress was attentive, and the crowd was good. We will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Good ServiceFuntime1Dined on 7/25/2014We came in to celebrate my husband's birthday and it was fun. The waitress was great and that set the tone for our dining. I'm not a sushi eater, but the rest if the party was. My husband really liked the place, the food and the ambiance. My non-sushi meal was good as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for date nightMissingHKDined on 7/25/2014Sushi was fresh and great presentation. Tuna Lovers Roll was very good. Servers were friendly and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noise levelaegisdinerDined on 7/18/2014Although the dj was okay, the music was way too loud!!! Couldn't even hear the person sitting right next to you, which isn't good in a restaurant. Maybe okay in a bar setting,Special Features:
- Food was MediocreMikeBVIPDined on 7/5/2014Food was ok, not great. Waiter was efficient and friendly. Though the hostess was incompetent! How hard is it to be a hostess? She just walked us to the table and threw the menus on the table in a pile. Then turned around and walked through the middle of our group. How rude. There were not enough seats for us to all sit down. And even though we were all standing there, I watched her just staring at us while she was sitting (who encourages hostesses to sit?) at the hostess stand. I finally walked back to her to see if she would fix the issue. Completely neglectful and incompetent.
- The following 165 reviews are from the Rok Sushi Kitchen reviews archive.
- No complaints but not blown awayOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/15/2014This was a lovely piece of real estate very near the water in Hermosa. There were many attractive people drinking (over-priced) cocktails in the bar area. The food was good, and the chef was accommodating with respect to roll substitutions, but frankly the prices were a bit steep compared even to other sushi restaurants in the area. I'd rather go someplace a little less "showy".
- Fantastic sushi!OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 5/2/2014This place has the best sushi around! Sit at the sushi bar and be entertained by the great sushi chefs!Special Features:
- Great food but really loudkdonovanDined on 3/22/2014We went to Rok Sushi for date night. The Miso Black Cod appetizer was very tasty and sushi excellent. Unfortunately we were seated up on the 2nd floor with all of the large parties where the noise level is extremely LOUD. If we were downstairs I would have given this restaurant one more star.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a good experienceJChowDined on 3/16/2014Food is fair but overpriced. Service is good. Extremely noisy. The girl on the next table kept screaming all night to make it worse.
- High prices, lack of care to menuKatlVIPDined on 3/2/2014It's not that the cocktails and food are not good; it's that the cocktails weren't good enough to warrant $12 for cocktails and $15-17 for sushi rolls. Also, almost every single roll contains tuna, which is dangerously high in mercury. They also add tempura to some rolls without indicating that on the menu, so if you're GF, watch out.
- Love coming here for my sushiOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2014Love coming here for my sushi fix - I can never get enough yellowtail carpachio. Came in on Valentine's night with my girlfriends. We had a reservation, but decided to stay at the bar since Sean was bartending. We had so much fun! It was a really great night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodDanHVIPDined on 2/14/2014Loved the variety of food choices. Kids menu items are perfect and the staff is nice. The noodles with chicken was a bit bland but everything else was very good. Prices were reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delishbrianDined on 2/13/2014Nom nom nom. Great sake list, good sushi. Good service. Groupons available!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always the bestOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/11/2014Sushi rolls always the best and the fish is always fresh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hip and GoodRCaliDined on 1/25/2014Enjoy going to Rok sushi. Would do there more but it is a bit pricey due to the location in the Hermosa Pier area. Love the inside, great for a date, and plenty to do afterwards in the area.
- Best sushi I've had in a veryOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/7/2013Best sushi I've had in a very long time. Great variety on rolls! Amazing music and ambianceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with SonAdventurousVIPDined on 11/30/2013Food was good but music was soooo loud that you practically need to shout in order to have a conversation seated next to you. Our server was extremely attentive.Special Features:
- Lovely eveningDiseeDined on 11/1/2013I thoroughly enjoyed my dining experience. Food was delicious, many options and the wine was fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, not "kosher"MidoriDined on 10/26/2013A Japanese restaurant with no Japanese behind the sushi bar?! Sushi rolls were tasty but too elaborate. Much too noisy. The Hispanic sushi chefs need to learn a bit more sushi bar "etiquette." Staff was kind and considerate: temporarily "lost" my credit card (fell inside my boot!!) and several people helped us look for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and amazing staffMzTurnerDined on 10/17/2013We had such a great experience with the ease of using open table, the gracious hostess that seated us, our fantastic server Matt and the awesome manager who took even better care of us ;-) we'll be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and serviceM4SLEXDined on 9/30/2013This was our first time to try spicy edamame and it was delicious! We enjoyed various sushi rolls and a nigiri combination platter. It was a nice dinner.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rok-ing GoodBeachbarbVIPDined on 9/30/2013The sushi was very fresh and very tasty. We went on a Monday night so the crowd was subdued, but the restaurant was pretty full by the time we left at 7:20 PM. The menu is not traditional, in that there are a lot of of California fusion items. The veggie tempura plate was light and not too greasy, but the oysters on the half-shell were quite small and I don't think I would order them again. Our waiter, however, did warn us. The Dynamite Roll was excellent and I understand that it is the most popular dish. This time we did not order the sashimi, but the last time we tried it it was very good.Special Features:
- Way too noisy with a tableddddVIPDined on 9/13/2013Way too noisy with a table by the bar....could not even enjoy the dinner.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty cool spot!!SkyyballerDined on 9/8/2013I like the vibe! The rolls are pretty good. Calamari was kind of plain though... :(Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi in Hermosa BeachFrequentDinerVIPDined on 9/1/2013I have been here a few times during Fiesta Hermosa weekends. I think that the sushi this time was just okay. Nothing spectacular. We had the Hamachi tacos (okay, nothing special), Beto Summertime roll, surf and turf roll and one smelt egg sushi. Of all the items, I personally liked the smelt egg sushi (after getting it corrected from being brought out the sashimi version first). Which should tell you about our opinion of the rest. I did like the Green Dragon cocktail, although there was a taste difference between the first one and the second. Normally, specialty cocktails taste the same from one order to the next. If you are in the area and really want sushi, go. Don't go looking for spectacular.
- the menu apparently had changedhogtieDined on 8/30/2013the menu apparently had changed recently. some of our favorites are no longer on the menu. otherswise, it si a good place to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent sushi and great locationsOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/27/2013Title says it all. Maybe add a little pricey, but I bet the rent on that corner is crazy.
- Too loud for conversation but greatOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/27/2013Too loud for conversation but great for drinks and just party atmosphere. We had a great booth which fit our group perfectly but it was under the speakers which were blasting. It's right across from the HB plaza, so you have nice beach access, can go for a walk afterwards. Place is pricey but with such a great location, rent's probably high. Fun experimental sushi - surf & turf was quite nice, so if you're not looking for traditional, this is the place for you. Very good service. Enjoy!Special Features:
- Service was great, but theawesomeVIPDined on 8/23/2013Service was great, but the food was mediocre @ best... Americanized sushi?... Hmmm, i would come here again if I didn't want the best, & if someone else made resv.Special Features: