124 S Murphy Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 95133Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.rokbistro.com/
- Phone: 4087337651
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Wednesday-Saturday 11:30-2:00; Dinner: Daily 5pm-Closing
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fondue, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Intimate private room seats 10-14.
- Private Party Contact: Steve Graham 4087337651
- Special Events: Monday & Tuesday Nights: 4-course dinner for 2 $65
A word from Rok Bistro
Located on Historic Murphy Ave. in downtown Sunnyvale, Rok, Stone-Age Fondue & Steakhouse is a truly unique dining experience. Our signature specialty is called Hot Rok. Premium entrées are delivered to your table seared and sizzling on hot volcanic Roks. Diners bask in the aroma as their entrées cook right before their eyes. Every bite is hot, juicy, and delicious, ready to be enjoyed as is or dipped in a variety of our specially-created dipping sauces. We also offer the best part of fondue...cheese appetizer fondues and chocolate dessert fondues. If you combine Hot Rok with fondue in a pot (we call it the Rok n Pot) we guarantee a wonderful evening of dining enjoyment. Our full bar features fruit-infused vodkas and a wine list that offers many varietals by the glass.Continued
If coming just for the Rok, you can be in and out in an hour. If enjoying the Rok n Pot, you should plan on approx. 2 hours. Please join us for the ultimate evening of dining enlightenment.
If coming just for the Rok, you can be in and out in an hour. If enjoying the Rok n Pot, you should plan on approx. 2 hours. Please join us for the ultimate evening of dining enlightenment.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Rok Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
- Had the blur bread for starters.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/5/2012Had the blur bread for starters. Great taste, but very salty. Then ordered the Ahi tuna hot rock with the side of the day, which I learned, after some delay for them to ask in the kitchen, was green beans. Food took a long time to arrive. Runs looked and tasted great, but it came with a side of carrots, even though carrots were already part of the vegetables that come with every hot rock. Eventually I did get my beans, but they were completely raw. Given their step process, I'd expect more. I had been there for lunch though, which was less noisy, less expensive and without mishaps. Service was still slow, though, which I find surprising given the small selection of sides they offer and the fact that you prepare the meat yourself.Special Features:
- Food and service were outstanding.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/2/2012Food and service were outstanding. Our first time there was a memorable one. We will definitely be going back for a return visit.Special Features:
- 2nd time we've been here.airbiscuitDined on 11/25/20122nd time we've been here. Excellent food and service. A welcome departure from the traditional experience.Special Features:
- very noisy night altho thatserenity1631Dined on 11/14/2012very noisy night altho that is not always the case here. the tables in the bar area are very noisy and crowded. request a table in the back room. service can be spotty and pacing is odd. the house cheese fondue is wonderful as are the dessert fondues. cooking and cutting the filet can be awkward so I usually go for the shrimp and scallops. Too much work for little kids so I would suggest you leave the under-12 crowd at home.
- I have been here twice before,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/13/2012I have been here twice before, and had excellent service, food and drink. Tonight, the food was great, the drinks were great, but the service was really bad. Maybe the waitress was having a rough night, but 13 min is waaaay to long to be greeted (poorly) and drink orders taken. Other than that, we had a great dessert.Special Features:
- Great place for groups orWhyHomVIPDined on 11/7/2012Great place for groups or a romantic date. Food is consistently good and meats rotate so there is always something new to try.Special Features:
- This was our first experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/1/2012This was our first experience at Rok Bistro and as a group we all thoroughly enjoyed it. The waiter was very helpful and friendly. Food was outstanding. Our favorite was the cheese and chocolate fondue.
- Reservations were for a FridayOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/26/2012Reservations were for a Friday night at 6:30pm. Place was pretty empty but started filling up around 7pm. We were seated right away in a booth area that provided us a private and intimate space. Our server was attentive and very nice. We ordered the Citrus Salad as an appetizer. Tasted great. Had the Romancing the Stone order which included filet mignon, chicken, buffalo and ahi. Everything was great except I didn't favor the chicken much. It was a bit dry. I liked the experience of cooking the meats myself. Sides were rice, mashed potatoes and veggies - all very good. For dessert we had the Bananas white chocolate fondue. I don't favor white chocolate much but my husband really enjoyed it. Would go back again...Special Features:
- Every time we dine at RokOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/21/2012Every time we dine at Rok we enjoy ourselves and so do our friends.Special Features:
- Wonderful ambiance, fun foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/19/2012Wonderful ambiance, fun food concept and it tasted great... Maybe a little pricy, but the crowd was wonderful!Special Features:
- I went here for an anniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/7/2012I went here for an anniversary dinner- it was perfect! The food is always excellent and it adds a fun element because you cook your meat yourself. My boyfriend loved it and we'll be coming back in the future!Special Features:
- We really enjoyed the foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/5/2012We really enjoyed the food and the service was superb.Special Features:
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/1/2012We went to Rok Bistro for our anniversary dinner and it was amazing. Beyond the food making this restaurant our favorite In the entire bay area, our waitress was impeccable. She was so kind, attentitive and went above and beyond to make our anniversary even more special.Special Features:
- Good fondue, very good cutsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/30/2012Good fondue, very good cuts of steak, extra large shrimps and scallops.Special Features:
- The booths are comfy, butOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/28/2012The booths are comfy, but please don't seat kids nearby couples! Food and service awesome. We'll be back.Special Features:
- customerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/23/2012Overpriced for the amount of cooking completed by the customer. The side dishes were poor quality and inadequate. Eating over a hot volcanic rock was hot and uncomfortable, maybe a table would be less so than the booth. very limited desert options unless you like fondue. The wild meat dishes were ok. Intersting to try once wouldn't go back again.
- It was nothing to write homeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/21/2012It was nothing to write home about! Service, we only provided 10 %, Cheese fondue, (the one with bacon in it) was mediocre at best and the chocolate fondue was good. There are many better choices in the south bay for fondue.
- Overall great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/21/2012The person greeting was friendly and happy to be there. Our waiter was fast enough to keep the courses coming, but not "up our noses" - an awesome balance of attention and privacy. We had someone else who would come around a bus the tables and keep our water glasses full, again - awesome. I had the wild boar; my wife had the sirloin medallion; both were fantastic. We had never been to Rok, so the waiter explained how everything worked in great detail, then check on us during the fondues to make sure we had plenty of foodstuff to dip, and during our main course to make sure we were doing ok with the Hot Rok. Food was an 8 or 9, the waitstaff get a 10.Special Features:
- You get to play with your foodWhyHomVIPDined on 9/15/2012Fondue and hot stone cooking. Great tasting food and service.Special Features:
- We have been there 4 times.AaronDined on 9/15/2012We have been there 4 times. It is a destination resturant for us Do you own rock grilling is fun and novel. All main entrees are v. good Unique meats available (Bison - very good, kangaroo flavorful, but a bit tough) Best to go with a group of 4 or more for sharing. Lots of food. For group of 4, usually get just 2 complete diners (entree pluse salad, cheese fondue desset fondue) plus 2 entree meals to share. Slow/relaxed pace. Expect to spend at least 2 hours if you are doing salad cheese fondue, entree grill and dessert fondue. Note - if you have exta cheese or dessert fondue, just ask for more dipping itemsSpecial Features:
- A truly unique dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/12/2012A truly in unique dining experience like nothing we'd ever seen. You actually grill your own entree on a super-heated volcanic rock slab brought to your table - very cool. And they offer a nice option of outdoor sidewalk seating if you prefer that.Special Features:
- Interesting restaurant combiningTomtomDined on 9/8/2012Interesting restaurant combining cheese and chocolate fondues with meat main courses cooked at your table. I recommend the classic cheese fondue, the cheese and onion one was mediocre. Similarly the standard dark chocolate fondue dessert was better than the one with nutella. The meat main course had variable meat quality, the piece of buffalo was uneatable while the beef and ahi tuna were great.
- We were very disappointmentLoveFineFoodVIPDined on 9/7/2012We were very disappointment with service. My husband loves avocado salad so we place an order and our other food. We waited for while our drink went low and we didn't see our server. I had to ask for the bus boy to refill our drinks. Another person came out with our food and we ask about the salad, she said it would be coming. After awhile she came back and said they were out. We were upset that no told us about that they were out of salad. Our drinks were low again and we had to ask the lady to refill them again. After that waitress came by to see how we were doing? We asked about the salad again she said did you want anything else? Not apologizing for not letting us know. I felt she didn't care about us. Not happy with the serviceSpecial Features:
- Small, burned and overcookedDaddyDrewVIPDined on 9/7/2012After having a gift certificate for 2 years we finally got a date night to go out. We ordered the "Romancing the Stone" dinner for two which included 4 meats and 3 sides. It sounded like a lot of food, and at 56 bucks already, we chose not to order an appetizer or dessert. This did not make the waitress happy, she rolled her eyes at us as she left the table. The food is supposed to come out almost raw so you can let it cook in the hot stone to your liking. We receive what amount to 4 small bites of each meat, which were not only fully cooked but burned and stuck to the stones. The sides were all on one plate, small and cold. It took forever to get our bill (which was almost $100), then we went down the street for a second dinner at Tao Tao
- Very enjoyable experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/2/2012Very enjoyable experience overall - service was wonderful but food did take a while to come out. Make sure to try the cheese fondue!Special Features:
- I've been here a few timesOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/29/2012I've been here a few times now. Every time, the cheese and chocolate fondues were fantastic. One not-so-fantastic thing is that don't give you a lot of the veggies to dip into the cheese, and you have to ask for more...and often they take a long time to bring more, so the cheese is gone by the time they do bring it. This is true for the things they bring you to dip into the chocolate fondue, too. The meats on the hot rocks - interesting idea, and I've enjoyed the things I've tried. I do wish that they gave you more options, though. I'd like to have more than one kind of meat as one entree, for example. Otherwise, the restaurant is a nice treat, although I do have to say that it's a bit expensive for what they do.Special Features:
- Rok Bistro is a great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/17/2012Rok Bistro is a great place to celebrate a night out with your significant other! Food is awesome and oh so worth every penny. I have been here several times since they have opened and every time I have had an enjoyable experience. Servers are friendly!!! Atmosphere is fabulous!!Special Features:
- We eat at the ROK once a month.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/14/2012We eat at the ROK once a month. The food is great!!!! We have only had good service once in the last year. The food is worth the ignorance and slow pace of the servers.Special Features:
- Unique dining for the team.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/9/2012I was in search of a good and unique place for a team lunch, a team that meets only once or twice a year. Rok Bistro had great reviews and offered a unqiue dining experience. We started with the fondue which we shared and was amazing. Everyone in the team was able to order something different, from tuna to steak. The tuna came out a little dry after being searved on the "rok" but everyone else raved about their food. The service was great! Drinks were refilled without request, the menu was explained, and the rest of the time we were left alone. The only major issue was trying to share the fondue with a large group, a round table would have made it easier.Special Features:
- Originally my husband andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/30/2012Originally my husband and I were going to go to La Fondue to celebrate my birthday, but a friend of mine highly recommended this place and so we changed our plans to try something new. Firstly, our server seemed as if she didn't want to be there. She spoke with a flat tone and hardly conversed with us at all, even knowing that we had never been there before and didn't know what to expect. I mentioned the Monday/Tuesday night special, and she seemed almost irritated that I didn't know the specifics of the deal. As she explained them to us, I felt like she was talking down to children. She hardly smiled and really didn't seem pleasant at all. We did end up doing the special for $65 but it was hardly a deal. On the receipt it shows a savin
- We genuinely like the diningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/26/2012We genuinely like the dining concept, especially when we like our steaks rare to med/rare, you can cook it EXACTLY how you desire. The only disappointing factor is the inconsistent service lately. We've gone a dozen times and when we've had any of the owner's daughters, they are FABULOUS but, most of the other wait staff are slow and not as attentive. Then the other pet peeve is how stingy they are with "extra dippers". How much does vegetables and/or fruits really cost? Just add some more carrots, apples or bananas. After paying $100 - $250 for a fun nice meal, we don't want long waits for beverages or the check and we certainly don't want to experience the stinginess.
- Rok Rocks!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/25/2012Everything about this place is a real class act. This was my fourth or fifth visit. The staff is as professional as they are friendly, and the food quality, proportions, and presentation set the definition of perfection. I will definitely come back.Special Features:
- The fondue was very nice,OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/23/2012The fondue was very nice, easily on a par with La Fondue, for example. The hot rock thing was marginal. Again, much like La Fondue, the net result is that you wind up eating undercooked or overcooked food. Undercooked in this case. The "certified angus beef" was tough and shot through with tendons. The seafood was okay, but so difficult to judge for done-ness. First and last visit.
- Wonderful experience at Rok BistroOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/19/2012I have been to fondue restaurants, but this one is unique in the sense your main entree is served on a hot Rok. What made this experience memorable was the choices of exotic meats. I decided to try the Kangaroo which was delicious. You have full control of how well you want your meat cooked. If you have a party of two, I recommend an appetizer, splitting an entree and then end the evening with the chocolate fondue. Service could have been a little better considering when we ate, it was not busy. I would recommend Rok Bistro especially for a special occasion or even first time date.Special Features:
- Always been a great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/13/2012Always been a great experience at the rok! Make sure that you ask the waiter for wild food menu! kangaroo meat roks!Special Features:
- Love this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/6/2012Have been coming here for a long while and have always loved this place. The food is great and the service is excellent.Special Features:
- Some opportunities with Service...OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/2/2012This is a great place that allows you to experience a new kind of dining. We Highly recommend the Banana Foster Dessert Fondue! The service couldve been quicker and more efficient. There were times when we had to wait/follow up for service, and the family next to us actually got up and complaint... all in all we still had a good time.Special Features:
- Great find.BobbyDined on 7/2/2012We went with kids between the ages of 8 and 16. We arrived at 5:00 p.m., so they were just setting up for the dinner crowd. We would recommend for families with children accostomed to finer dining. The romantic shared meal was excellent, the buffalo was excellent and the chicken nuggets great. We were not impressed with the sword fish. Wine list was good. We don't often see Iniskillin (Canadian) ice wine available - one of our favorites. The banana foster fondue was fabulous as was the black forest cherry fondue. We would definitely recommend and visit again. Glad we tried it, even with kids in tow.Special Features:
- Great FindOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/23/2012Can't say enough about the service. Friendly staff and I was so glad to see them work as a team. The food was tasty but the bar needs a blender and better glasses for drinks.Special Features:
- I love this place. The foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/9/2012I love this place. The food is very tasty and the portions are large. We ordered 2 Rok specials which included a cheese fondue appetizer, two entrees and a chocolate dessert fondue. We ordered 2 extra salads and extra dipping plates for both cheese and chocolate and had plently of food for 4. The Pesto Cheese fondue is amazing and the pork tenderloine with the mango chutney is always a great choice. I think I could drink the mango chutney, it is just that good. Dessert was the Snickers fondue which is extra tasty with the rice crispy treats or frozen cream chesse cube with cinnamon. Yum!!! Overall a great meal. It is a bit pricey $50 a plate for the 4 of us but worth it for a special occassion!Special Features: