Rojo Mexican Grill - Edina
10 Southdale Center, Ste 2750 A
Edina, MN 55435Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Rojo Mexican Grill - Edina
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.rojomexicangrill.com/
- Phone: (952) 595-5495
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch& Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 11:00am - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 11:00am - 12:00am, Sunday: 11:00am - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican / Southwestern, Mexican, Contemporary Mexican
- Executive Chef: Mario Rojas
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Rojo Mexican Grill - Edina
Rojo Mexican Grill serves new culinary creations and many traditional dishes, such as quesadillas, tacos and enchiladas, but with bold new flavors or in unique presentations. Ingredients, such as the tortillas, guacamole, and salsas, are made fresh from scratch each day. And Rojo uses special proprietary blends of Mexican spices to create the unique recipes. The stylish restaurant seats more than 280 guests and was designed to evoke traditional Mexican décor, but with a modern influence. Warm woods and soft red upholstery are offset by accents of leather, stone and steel. The dining room offers traditional table service and a generous view of the kitchen where diners can watch food prepared throughout the process. Three centrally located tables are dedicated to preparing hand-rolled tortillas, fresh guacamole and salsa in full view each day.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Rojo Mexican Grill - Edina reviews from OpenTable diners
46 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (15)great for lunch (12)great for outdoor dining (11)fit for foodies (9)neighborhood gem (6)kid-friendly (5)special occasion (5)late-night find (5)hot spot (5)vibrant bar scene (4)romantic (3)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Same ol Same ol StuffTheTwistedChefVIPDined on 11/16/2014I like Rojo but the menu never changes, they never have any specials and its a pretty limited menu to begin with. Margs could use more alcohol as well. We go for the Sangria and Queso Dip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappoints!epfoodieDined on 11/1/2014We always enjoy our meal at Rojos. Fresh chips, fresh salsa, very tasty margharitas. My husband is stuck on the chicken chimichanga and my son loves the tacos. I like to try something new each time and my chicken enchiladas did not disappoint -- not your average enchilada. And you won't find sweet rice anywhere else like this. It was my husband's birthday so we were surprised with a frozen ice cream treat that really topped it off. Thanks Rojos!!Special Features:
- Friday night fun!AmyEDined on 10/17/2014My girlfriend and I caught happy hour and tried the house margarita which was great - quick service to go along with it. The dishes we both ordered were very good, but I deducted one star because I didn't think the variety of food on the menu was terribly impressive. However, we both enjoyed our food very much and will be back a 2nd time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Returned and disappointedGFdinerDined on 10/8/2014This was my second time back. It was not very busy and we had poor service. She was very slow and she put in our order wrong and did not check back with us after food was served. We brought our daughter and I was disappointed at how few choices there were on the kids menu. I will probably not return for awhile.Special Features:
- Muy BienfatpantsmplsVIPDined on 10/3/2014Best skinny margarita and chips & salsa I've ever had. Everything is good here and every one of my girlfriends loves this place. I can't understand why it isn't rated higher.Special Features:
- A nice surprisePeteDined on 9/23/2014I wasn't excited to go to this restaurant but my experience was great. We all had different tacos and they were outstanding. The rice was sweet and yummy too. We sat outside on a beautiful sunny day and service was great. Loved the chips and salsa too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet Sunday BrunchChrystalmystDined on 9/14/2014Service was stellar, food generally good, though the flavor combination in the chopped salad was odd to me, as is the rice. The fries are stellar, the tortas wonderful. Taco portions too small for my hubby.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food, ok serviceDoctordremDined on 9/5/2014I was pleased with everything but one: the waiter did not offer us dessert. I never have dessert when I eat out, and i was actually looking forward to some fried ice cream.Special Features:
- Poor service- unkind waiterTamaraDined on 8/31/2014Complete lack of respect & professionalism from the server. He complained about being too busy. The restaurant was nearly 1/2 full. Beyond awful service.He was very stressed & impatient with us!We were not difficult-nor high maintenance. We asked for 3 glasses of water & that bothered him. It felt like a joke having him serve us. I wondered if there was a hidden camera & we were gonna be commended after the meal for remaining calm & kind. Or at the very least get the meal comped for terrible service!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall quality= goodDoctordremDined on 8/29/2014The food was great, and the waiter was friendly and patient.Special Features:
- SarahVIPDined on 8/29/2014We had an absolutely terrible waiter. We wanted to split our bill however he made a mistake 4 times and was very rude that he kept having to change it.Special Features:
- disappointing experienceDenise2Dined on 8/14/2014Food was like an average chain restaurant and expensive for Mexican food. We ordered the fajitas and they came with four inch tortillas which barely held anything and there were hardly any meat and veggies. The margaritas were average Not worth the money .
- Three StrikesihatetocomplainbutDined on 8/9/2014Strike One: The name Cheese Crisps suggest the major ingredient would be cheese, and that the dish would be fairly crisp. When you add chicken and poblano peppers you expect that the cheese would still be a significant player. What you don't expect is that the pico (which isn't even mentioned in the menu) would be so overpowering that it is all you can taste. Strike Two: The tacos were laughably small, particularly given the price they charge for them. Strike Three: In a Mexican restaurant you don't expect the rice to be sweet more akin to rice pudding than a Mexican side.
- dinner with friends2plusfriendsDined on 8/9/2014For the 4 of us, trying to peruse menu whilst chatting non-stop, the waiter caught on and was charming about awaiting our lead. We ordered guacamole as an app = good. Then we all ordered versions of the open-face flour tortilla tacos. They're small, served in a group of 3, I believe, and were good. Light food, great for a light dinner. We all had water, so inexpensive as well.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meh.OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/7/2014Even though this is a chain, I was still hoping for somewhat decent food. The chips were like thin cardboard and had no flavor. The food was OK and nothing more. Won't be back. Too many other good options in the Twin Cities.
- good but priceyPatTVIPDined on 8/4/2014Good food, but prices seemed to reflect the high cost of being a mall restaurant. $16.95 for house special of approx 3 pork tacos with fixins? $8.95 for cheese dip? $10.95 for (3) chicken street tacos? Quality was good, but not sure Rojo will be a regular stop for us at those prices. Also, 90% of diners were sitting outside. Service for the few seated tables inside was sporadic. Watched server "chat" with co-worker instead of checking on table for drinks & chips refills.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!MartiDined on 8/1/2014I just loved this place. The cheese crisp was out of this world and the carne asada tacos were fabulous.Special Features:
- Third time hereGoodbyeRojoVIPDined on 7/26/2014On this our 3rd visit, the service was so bad (even though there relatively few people dining there) we will not return. Each person in our party of 4 received their food at different times, with long periods of time in between each meal being delivered. We sat and waited, and waited, and waited until each of us FINALLY had received our meals, and then one of the orders was completely wrong. We looked for our server, and she was not to be found. We finally got the attention of a man bussing tables, and he brought over another man to see what was wrong. The meal had to be re-prepared, & by the time it arrived the other 3 of us were nearly done eating. Still no server, and when she finally returned, there was no apology whatsoever.
- The following 87 reviews are from the Rojo Mexican Grill - Edina reviews archive.
- PeterhVIPDined on 7/8/2014Second time we tried the restaurant with the same results. Unfriendly, unattentive staff and poor food quality. Never again.
- Can't get enough of this place!stcarlson777VIPDined on 7/7/2014Why is it not busy at lunchtime? The fish tacos are to die for. Actually, everything we've eaten has been above and beyond fantastic. Check it out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed at our second visitOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/5/2014Patio seating on the gorgeous night we visited was "open seating," which meant the staff with almost nothing to do at the host stand would not be helping us find a table, taking a list for the patio, nada. we dragged a table away from the server station on the patio with the blessing of -- not the help of -- a server. Another person came by and quickly wiped the table with a dirty rag. So, not a great start. The $10+ margaritas were weak and not very cold, service was very rushed (because everyone was on the patio) and the food was just average. I so wanted this to be a great Mexican place close to our home but was left feeling it wasn't quite clean and was average.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/3/2014Food was very good! We had three little kids and our server was very kind and patient. The patio was great as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic FoodfoodforthoughtDined on 6/16/2014food, service and atmosphere where perfect. Will definitely returnSpecial Features:
- JennyDined on 6/6/2014Great Tortilla soup. My friend's enchillatta was also very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place!PickyeaterDined on 6/5/2014After eating at Rojo's in the West End, I was very pleased to find the new Southdale location offers the same quality food and experience. We were celebrating a friend's birthday, and staff made it a special meal. Great food, great service, terrific menu. This is an excellent addition to Southdale which can be reached from inside the mall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food,but service was lackingareynoldsbellDined on 5/31/2014Dined here for dinner with wife. After living in TX, we miss good Tex-Mex. There are few options in Mpls. Could only get reservations in Edina, and the times available were limited. Rojo was MAYBE 1/2-2/3 full when we left, which was when I originally wanted to dine. The menu is limited, but the food was good. Our server was not attentive. It was not busy and she had our table and 2-3 others right near ours. One was a group of four couples and the others 2 were couples like us. She never brought or even offered us water. My wife had a Perrier for her beverage, so I hope that was not why. I had a beer and waited 10 minutes with an empty for a 2nd. Waited 10 minutes to order more tortillas for my fajitas. Could not get her attention.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Why the bad reviews? I love it!stcarlson777VIPDined on 5/27/2014Every time I go here, I get the fish tacos and they are delicious! Seriously, try it for lunch. I love Mexican food and am super picky!Special Features:
- Bland, poor poor serviceFoodiemamaDined on 5/23/2014Very bland food, extremely slow service, really wanted to like it but, was very disappointed:(
- DisappointingGoodiefoodshoesDined on 5/11/2014After having really good experiences at the St. Louis Park location I was hoping for at least the same. The SLP restaurant was lively and the food was, well, close to delicious. In fairness, we were at the Edina establishment on a Sunday, so, the not so lively factor was understandable. But the food is the most important criteria, and it was below average. No one in our party of four could come up with anything better than just okay. Speaking for myself, I ordered the salmon salad. I had ordered the same salad at SLP, and was actually surprised how truly good it was. My biggest complaint about the Edina salad was I had to pick out all the brown pieces of lettuce. It was obviously dumped out of a dated bag of premade salad. Grade:C-
- Got to Love Consistency!RobinRVIPDined on 5/10/2014Another delicious dinner at Rojo! Invited my brother and sister-in-law this time- it was their first visit, and definitely will not be their last. Love, love the Cheese Crisp - especially the Chicken Poblano version. Chicken Tacos rocked and 1st time trying the Veggie taco's interesting and yummy. Best margarita in town.Special Features:
- KarenDined on 5/9/2014Excellent food & atmosphere. Service is wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great margaritas.TerryDined on 5/3/2014Noise level too great, with music too loud. Why not play some soft Spanish guitar music?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor serviceJafoDined on 5/3/2014First time eating here in May. My friend arrived early and sat for 15 minutes before she had to ask for service. When I arrived the service continued to be extremely slow. It was a late lunch and the place was pretty empty so I am not sure what the deal was. They did not seem to care whether we were there or not. Disappointing. Won't return.
- great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/2/2014Server friendly and intelligence of menu. Offering suggestions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RojoreviewDined on 5/2/2014Good food and great service. It was a little loud, though - I was there with a friend, and we each commented that we felt like we were yelling to talk.Special Features:
- Rojo LunchEljohnDined on 5/2/2014The service we received was excellent. The three of us picked three different tacos so that we could try each of them. The chicken didn't have much taste but the pork and the shrimp were very good.Special Features:
- what's not to like?RosevBDined on 4/16/2014The wife and I had fish tacos with re-fried beans and an unusual but excellent side or rice. The re-fried beans were as good as I've ever had, as far a re-fried beans are concerned. The tacos were very tasty as well. The staff was quick and friendly and they anticipated our readiness to order, and for the check. We had large comfortable both and the lighting was atmospheric. The restaurant wasn't very full so this may also play factor in the excellent service. We had margaritas and they were delicious. The price was reasonable. Really I would be hard pressed to find anything critical to say. Perhaps I'm easy to please, but good is good and they earned 5 stars from me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor Manager/No GF TrainingamzrnsDined on 4/11/2014While the food is fine, the service and assistance provided by the manager was extremely poor. Servers do not have training on gluten allergies, and the manager provided lazy, irresponsible answers to gluten-related questions. Better food and service are available elsewhere - we will not be back.
- Always GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/3/2014I've been to Rojo countless times both at the West End and Southdale. The food is always good and fresh. And you can't beat the chips and salsa.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Improvement needed!knhans42Dined on 4/2/2014We brought in a group of 6 professionals for a lunch & discussion period from 11 AM to 1 PM. The wait person was attentive and gave us time while all arrived. Chips and dip was good and appreciated by all. We all ordered different items from the menu and the waiting time to receive the food was a little long, but OK. As far as the food we only rated it fair and in one case it was rated poor. The items were not as good as we had expected. Most of us will not be back for sometime, maybe next year and try again.