Rojo Mexican Bistro - Rochester
401 N. Main Street
Rochester, MI 48307Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Rojo Mexican Bistro - Rochester
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.rojomexicanbistro.com/
- Phone: (248) 601-9300
- Hours of Operation:
MONDAY and TUESDAY 11AM TO 10PM; WEDNESDAY and THURSDAY 11AM TO 11PM; FRIDAY 11AM TO 12 MIDNIGHT; SATURDAY 12 NOON to 12 MIDNIGHT; AND SUNDAY FROM 12 NOON TO 9PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Mexican
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Our semi-private room can accommodate up to 45 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Manager 2486019300x
A word from Rojo Mexican Bistro - Rochester
Rojo Mexican BistroContinued
An exciting combination...
contemporary flare with authentic flavor
An exciting combination...
contemporary flare with authentic flavor
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Rojo Mexican Bistro - Rochester reviews from OpenTable diners
11 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance3.2Noise LevelModerate
hot spot (3)good for groups (2)kid-friendly (2)fit for foodies (2)great for lunch (1)scenic view (1)neighborhood gem (1)romantic (1)special occasion (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- lousyMctastyDined on 11/8/2014Very noisy. They got our drinks wrong 3 times. The tables are set up in the middle of the floor which is very uncomfortable. I would not recommend this place to a friend. Not a good experience.
- Continues To DisappointMrsADined on 10/31/2014We have faithfully tried to give this restaurant another chance. It continues to fail. When it was Andiamo and Steve Simmon's responsibility it was wonderful and always busy. Staff and food were very good and Pete in the kitchen assured us of great food! We repeatedly have tried to support this local restaurant. It just continues to fail. The last visit was our LAST VISIT!!! Far to costly for poor service and horrible food. Sad because the place is very nice looking and much money was put in it to open under the new venue! This is a great location and I cannot understand why it just can not get it's act together. Joe Vicari needs to take a closer look at this one.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014I love the Taco Tuesdays. Such a great deal with wonderful food.Special Features:
- I love mexicanpeggyDined on 8/24/2014I really liked the menu was so varied ...regular items that you would see everywhere and many unusual mexican dishesSpecial Features:
- must have been an off nightOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/2/2014Was rushed by staff, even though they weren't busy. Tried to stick us in the bar area because we were only 2ppl. 10 minutes until greeted. Food arrived at the same time our table side guac was made. Check dropped off before wife was done eating. Felt like wee were more of an inconvenience than guests. Wasn't very romantic.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 235 reviews are from the Rojo Mexican Bistro - Rochester reviews archive.
- Good, not too expensiveDinsmoorDined on 6/13/2014Great meal, reasonably priced, however there were a ton of kids and families at 6:30 on a friday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food / great service / loudRemertonDined on 5/30/2014Later evening dinner. There was live music & it was loud. We got a table in the back. Pleasant evening - windows to the street were open. Service was extremely good. Food was tasty. I had the California Burrito. Tasty, albeit the contents on the side were nearly identical to that inside. Table side guacamole was very good. Flautas were the only disappointment - basically chicken wrapped in a corn tortilla. Tre leche cake for desert was very good, but the frosting was a bit overwhelming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingAKelchDined on 2/14/2014I made the unfortunate decision to make reservations here for Valentine's Day. To make a long story short, horrible service, small and weak drinks, and food you could find better at Taco Bell. I would be more favorable to give a pass to this place if it was absurdly busy for the holiday but it wasn't. Subpar at best.
- Usually love, but disappointedSandyVIPDined on 2/7/2014They modified their menu and removed the lobster quesadillas, which we always used to order. The flavor of the salsa was good, but the tomatos in the salsa were not the greatest, which affected the taste of the salsa. The first basket of tortilla chips was stale, but the 2nd basket was fresh. Usually love the food, but was left disappointed this trip. Service was awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good staffOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/31/2014My date, who is a self-proclaimed model, was rude and giving our server a hard time. I apologize and I let that woman walk.Special Features:
- QualityOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 12/13/2013Last night the food was mediocre. Sparse chicken in burrito and my enchilada was burnt. Not the norm. GregSpecial Features:
- Good timeRebeccaDined on 12/13/2013First time here with out of town guests. Great food, great service, LOVE the table guacamole! Good margaritas!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing ExperienceSheri66Dined on 12/8/2013Made reservations a week earlier. People entered with no reservations entered and received great booth location, and we were put in back in unattractive location. Noon asked if it was acceptable. Waitress was good otherwise. Food was only fair. We were here before, it just seemed the food was haphazardly prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rojo surpasses expectationsrzspswVIPDined on 10/26/2013My husband, daughter, and I recently ate at the Rojo Mexican Bistro in Rochester. We had a great time and enjoyed good food. My daughter and I both had burritos - although slightly different types. I actually thought my daughter made the better choice! My husband tried the BBQ pork tacos. We also got the tableside guacamole which was both fun and tasty. We were pleased with all of the food. It was delicious and presented well. Our server, Dan, was inexperienced but attentive. Given a bit more experience, he will make a great server. Try the “kit-kat” dessert. It was great.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedconciergeVIPDined on 8/17/2013I loved the restaurant when it was Andiamos. I felt that the food at Rojo did not have much flavor. I would recommend Sage Brush Cantina in Lake Orion for better Mexican food.
- Difficult to make reservationsSteakloverVIPDined on 7/26/2013This restaurant does not believe in online reservations. When you try to book online there are no spot open but if go there the restaurant is empty, There are many times go to a different place because they show as full. I have complained to Opentable and to the restaurant but neither one has fixed this issue. Nobody knows where the corporate office is the Manager does not think this is an important issue. My recommendation is that it is time they fix their blocked space and get more business!!Special Features:
- Great foodLive2luvDined on 5/17/2013Loved the atmosphere! Girls nite out had a wonderful time. Got there about 10 pm place closes at midnight. The wait staff got a little annoying trying to rush us to leave at about 11:30. Cleared table before ready to leave which was a little disappointing. However the great food (Surf and turf tacos) and AWESOME band overshadowed the service. Loved the vibe would recommend to friends!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the vegetarian options!Joyful1VIPDined on 5/14/2013Not your usual Mexican restaurant with hanging sombreros and decor. Very nice decor looks good in daylight, and in evening has an artsy feel. Menu is extensive with an atypical Mexican fare of creative dishes. The vegetarian options are truly vegetarian, not just cheesey foods. Black beans are lard free. Beautiful wild mushrooms quesadillas and healthy grilled fish tacos along with other fun dishes. Tableside quac is fantastic! Drinks can be skimpy with the tequila. Not this visit, but another time, I swear I had NO tequila in my $18 xtra big skinny marg. On this visit, the margs were great. Excellent salsa and fresh warm chips.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We went to Rojo for the firstOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/9/2013We went to Rojo for the first time and really enjoyed the atmosphere and the food. The place was very nice inside and not expensive at all. I would recommend this restaurant for anyone who likes Mexican food without having to drive all the way down to Mexican village.Special Features:
- We had dinner at Rojo a yearmichigandailysDined on 2/3/2013We had dinner at Rojo a year ago and it was excellent. This time it was just so-so. Our waitress was great but the food wasn't that good. We used a BOGO entree deal so the price was fine but the lunch was nothing special.
- Give your review a title (optional)MPezDined on 1/25/2013My wife and I are big fans of Mexican food, and Rojo is more of an upscale version of such food. It's not the type of place that we could see ourselves going once a week or anything, because the food is a bit pricey, but overall it is a good experience. There is a nice bar, a good drink menu, and a lot to choose from on the menu, however the portion sizes are a bit small.Special Features:
- Taco Tuesday's are the bestGr8placeVIPDined on 1/22/2013Taco Tuesday's are the best deal! $1 beef or chicken tacos.Special Features:
- Even though i said kid friendly,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/30/2012Even though i said kid friendly, wish they had a kids menu... just ordered off the main menu and she shared my food... but we really do like it....Special Features:
- A perfect place.SteakloverVIPDined on 9/21/2012We go to Rojo often and find it to be a great place with great service.
- wont make an effort to go there agaOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/7/2012we didn't think the decor was anything, didnt look "mexican", felt cold and was cold, too many tables in the main walking pathway. our waiter delivered the salsa and made comment that it was "pretty boring" and we could add additional spice to it if we wanted. the salsa was boring and adding to it was not helpful enough. chicken breast was tough. burrito was overkilled w/tortilla and not stuffed enough. waiter forgot to deliver my beer until reminded.
- We have gone there over 6SteakloverVIPDined on 6/15/2012We have gone there over 6 times and am glad that Opentable is finally working. We could never make a reservation on-line and the hostess had no idea what open table is. Food and service are great and you must try the avocado dip they make at your table.Special Features:
- Worth a try...OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/9/2012The food is good - get the guacamole made AT your table fresh! The service was very friendly and helpful in choosing items on the menu. We were a table of four. The tables were small for four adults having drinks and appetizers, then dinner... no room to move, so you better REALLY like who you sit next too. The road construction in downtown Rochester is unfortunate, because it takes away from the enjoyment of this restaurant. It's a bit pricey for Mexican food, but it is in Rochester, which is a bit overpriced already. All the food was great - the salads are in great variety too, which is great for those watching their figures. More room is needed for sitting comfortably, but other than that, this is a definite try for anyone!
- A very nice place for a sitOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/28/2012A very nice place for a sit down dinner with drinks, and not to loud so you can visit with your table. Lighting was good and service with drinks and dinner was wonderful. Price was not over the top but good for the area.Special Features:
- Never going back...OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/28/2012Chips were cold and stale. Salsa was bland. Enchiladas Verdes were good (not great) but I don't understand the french fries as a topping? Steak & Chicken Fajitas - POOR 1) steak was mushy like it had been cooking in liquid all day and then was scooped out onto our sizzling platter 2)chicken - same 3)lucky there was a large quantity of lettuce, so we could pick through and find some that wasn't brown. The up side - my dog liked the left-overs. In the end, it was filling, so we weren't hungry when we had finished. However, we bought a dessert that was quite nice - German Chocolate Cake topped with a raspberry sauce. We purchased dessert only because we had money left on a gift card and we knew we wouldn't be coming back.
- This place was no better thanOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/21/2012This place was no better than if I had just gone to taco bell. The food was soo mehh. My boyfriend got the lobster tacos and they were $20.00!!! he said his shrimp was very tasteless and mine was as well in my lobster burrito. Our friends got chicken and said the same thing. The chips and salsa were ok but I feel like with the prices of their food on their menu, they could afford to at least have homemade chips.(Come on, even On the border does it). The ambience was wonderful but i feel like thats what I paid for. I wouldve rather had great food and white pictureless walls then horrible food and beautiful decor. Our bill ended up coming to $130.00 with tip!! Too much for meteocre food I think. I will not be re-visiting here that's for sure!Special Features:
- The service was good.. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/21/2012The service was good.. The ambiance and getting seated were great. Food was very marginal, fajita burrito was step above taco bell. Two people had fish tacos and said they barely had any fish and not very flavorful, had to add a lot of sauce to make edible
- Their Mexican food is veryOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/7/2012Their Mexican food is very good, however, I ordered the salmon--huge mistake. The filet was about 2oz. in size, dry, and flavorless. Unfortunately, I didn't complain because we were with friends and who wants to add a negative aspect to the evening. Not sure we will ever suggest going there again.
- AWESOME!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/7/2012AWESOME! Great Mexican Food and GREAT Service. Traveled 45 miles to eat at Rojo's and will do it again because the food and service was so good.Special Features:
- Guacamole appetizer very bland,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/31/2011Guacamole appetizer very bland, disappointing . Waitress did not refill tortillas. Dinner arrived barely warm. Overall disappointing.
- We found that Rojo providedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/23/2011We found that Rojo provided excellent food and service. Wonderful upscale Mexican cuisine.Special Features:
- Loved the atmosphere. OurOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/18/2011Loved the atmosphere. Our waitress was wonderful in every way. I would highly recommend this restaurant to all my friends. Thanks again for a wonderful evening.Special Features:
- Great food and atmosphere.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/17/2011Great food and atmosphere. What a great start to a holiday weekend in Rochester.Special Features:
- Having read a lot of not-very-goodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/10/2011Having read a lot of not-very-good reviews of this place, I was bracing myself for the worst. My girlfriend had already told me not to expect "authentic" Mexican food, but rather bistro-style dishes with a Mexican theme, so I guess I shouldn't have been surprised that the food lacked heat. We ordered the tableside guacamole and asked them to make it spicy. It was tasty, but it wasn't spicy. My girlfriend ordered the mushroom quesadilla (I forget exactly what it's called on the menu) which came with refried black beans and rice. I sampled the quesadilla and the beans and both were quite tasty. I got the Enchiladas Verdes, which were good (but again, not spicy). My refried beans and rice were both very bland. Overall: good but not great.
- The service and ambiance wasnatasha694Dined on 12/9/2011The service and ambiance was very nice, food was good but tepid. Main complaint is we had to eat with our coats on. The heat wasn't working very well and even though we had reservations we were only given th choice of on table near the window or the hightop at the bar. I will go back again because I do like the food and downtown Rochester but will probably ask if the heat is working first.Special Features:
- The margaritas were not veryOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/26/2011The margaritas were not very good. I expected a higher quality from a restaurant of this caliber. Our server however, was excellent.